Author Topic: Black Masking Tape on Spacebar  (Read 11355 times)

Offline morpheus

Black Masking Tape on Spacebar
« on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 03:10:00 »
Ok, so I saw another user here put some black masking tape on their spacebar for their Leopold FC660C because he didn't want it to get shiny.
So, I decided to do the same to mine and I loved it so much, that I did it to all my spacebars. It feels sort of warm and inviting to my thumbs, and has a nice texture.

Just wanted to give a shout out to the guy who first did this.

THANKS YOU  :thumb:

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Re: Black Masking Tape on Spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 03:10:58 »
Embrace the shine :O

Offline mapple

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 03:13:16 »
Ok, so I saw another user here put some black masking tape on their spacebar for their Leopold FC660C because he didn't want it to get shiny.
So, I decided to do the same to mine and I loved it so much, that I did it to all my spacebars. It feels sort of warm and inviting to my thumbs, and has a nice texture.

pics or it didn't happend:D, nah but seriously can you provide some picture? what kind of tape did you used?
In God We Trust

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 03:23:33 »
Doesn't sound comfy TBH.
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline morpheus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 03:34:43 »

pics or it didn't happend:D, nah but seriously can you provide some picture? what kind of tape did you used?

I just used regular Black Masking Tape from the store.

pics and it did happen :-)

« Last Edit: Wed, 12 March 2014, 04:01:13 by morpheus »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 04:11:18 »
I don't know, may be clear plasti-dip would be less visually intrusive.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 04:24:32 »
I don't know, may be clear plasti-dip would be less visually intrusive.

I know, it looks quite ugly (especially on my HPE 87), but I don't look down at my keyboard as much when I'm typing.
Perhaps I will invest in some plasti-dip, though I've never tried using it before.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 06:41:01 »
Adhesives have strange behaviors over time. I would recommend refreshing this tape regularly.

For example, actual paint "masking" tape is made to be easily removable for some small and finite number of days or weeks, but over a longer period the adhesive will change and petrify and become a nightmare.

At that point, the solvents required to remove it, such as naptha or citrus oil, can be very damaging to plastics.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 07:02:42 »
I've been using DYMO labeling tape for several years on my spacebars and it's served me well so far.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 08:34:32 »
By "black masking tape" do you mean electrical tape? If so, that adhesive is crazy sticky and gunky after long periods.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 08:51:47 »
By "black masking tape" do you mean electrical tape? If so, that adhesive is crazy sticky and gunky after long periods.

Something like this:

But judging from the responses so far, it doesn't seem likely I will be using it for a long time. I think I will just experiment with this for a while and then just learn to embrace the shine.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 08:56:14 »
I always thought people don't like the shine because it looks "ugly".  But I don't think this is a good fix for that.  :P

Unless you only don't like the shine because of the way it feels, then this would work lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 08:58:39 »
Oh ok I see now :)

It's like painter's tape. Yea. I can see how that would feel nice and textury as opposed to shiny grossness.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:03:21 »
I have three PBT space bars with a nice texture in near white, black and gray, so I think I have the shine issue solved. Hehe! No need for tape, it looks a bit awkward, don't you think?

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:11:17 »
Honestly with the FC660C with legends I'd be more worried about those fading than the spacebar shining. So glad they had a blank one when I decided to take the plunge.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:24:43 »
Doesn't the tape leave a sticky residue after an extended period of use? o.o
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:41:32 »
I wouldn't use masking tape. After a while the adhesive becomes a serious pain to remove. Personally I just used plain ol' scotch tape on my RealForce and FC660C. Didn't alter the feel that much (don't use the glossy tape, but the matte kind), and since it's clear it doesn't alter the look of the board.

Offline niubio

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:46:40 »
Hmmm... I don't know if I have solution for you guys... But there's a thing called "structural paint". A year ago or so I've been experimenting with a cracked case restoration - it was a sorry excuse for a keyboard called Art classica. The case wasn't chipped - it was CRACKED, like someone smashed the top with his fist, just above the LED section (maybe he/she was angry about this crappy rubber dome).

Well anyway, I used Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone to dissolve plastic - "fused" everything back together - and wet-sanded it to a glossy finish. Well, that was easy... Unfortunately the surface was shiny as my dog's balls. I tried various combinations - tried to soften the surface with MEK and then apply gentle pressure with sandpaper or steel wool. And then I've bought an airbrush - tried to brush the surface with MEK - I thought maybe it will create some sort of an uniform effect. This was not the case - MEK evaporated before reaching the surface :) Well, it's a solvent, what were you thinking niubio...

Anyway, I watched dozens of videos about... car cockpit restoration. You know, it happens from time to time to scratch it with a knife ;) Those videos were promotional stuff for expensive as F$%K "restoration sets" manufactured in Germany - $300 per set - with different "granulation" (you could choose between fine and coarse, a whole spectrum). I wondered what the hell are they using? It cannot be anything "special", you just have to think for yourself a little :) Like how do they make a matte finish on regular boards in the first place?

Long story short, during my ~1 month research I was typing in the wrong word into google search engine: it was "facture" (in polish: faktura) instead of "structure" (in polish: struktura). Now that quickly led me to some interesting results and PRICES! :) I've bought a 500ml spray canister of transparent "structural paint" for 10zlotych (~3 bucks), sprayed it inside my airbrush and guess what... IT WORKED!

Like I've said before, the area above LED section was smashed/glossy (1500 wet sanded). You can alter granulation of the structure with the distance between your airbrush and the surface. And don't even think about applying it directly from the can - you will end up with a mess.

Paint takes a while to dry, so my wild guess is that it is based on epoxy - and that means it is mechanically resistant (contrary to acrylic paints)
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:50:30 by niubio »

Offline drinkbleach

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 10:07:54 »

I did this to my leopold  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42825.330

Doesn't the tape leave a sticky residue after an extended period of use? o.o

I have been using for about a month and have just taken it off. There was no glue residue at all. I still washed it with soapy water and it is like brand new

The great thing is that the the standard masking tape width is the exact size of the spacebar to cover the top and front exactly!

I have seen other boards with clear tape on them, but for black spacebars this little tape is a great way to avoid getting the ABS from getting smooth and shiny. Cheap black masking tape FTW!

:thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 12:17:18 »
Niubio restoration looks very cool. I think it may be a way to recover some supershine caps to black state.

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:09:42 »

Over time isn't the tape going to wear down and leave behind the stick residue below that? Then what? Keep layering on the tape?  :-\

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:13:23 »

Over time isn't the tape going to wear down and leave behind the stick residue below that? Then what? Keep layering on the tape?  :-\

And the residue will melt the plastic  :-\:))

Offline drinkbleach

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:27:25 »

I don't know if masking(painters) tape glue is that powerful to melt plastic. But who knows only time will tell. I have read other members having tape on their space bar for years . Must be some type of organic non-toxic glue .

I know, maybe just wear gloves to keep those pad printed keys pretty ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:35:33 »

I don't know if masking(painters) tape glue is that powerful to melt plastic. But who knows only time will tell. I have read other members having tape on their space bar for years . Must be some type of organic non-toxic glue .

I was just joking, by no means the adhesive of a removable tape will melt plastic, it does not have any solvent, but sorry for the sarcasm.

Offline drinkbleach

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:40:32 »

I was just joking, by no means the adhesive of a removable tape will melt plastic, it does not have any solvent, but sorry for the sarcasm.

Heheheh np. Just I have seen some tape, like that clear packing tape leave insane residue and almost look like it could melt plastic over time !!!

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:53:48 »
Heheheh np. Just I have seen some tape, like that clear packing tape leave insane residue and almost look like it could melt plastic over time !!!

I know what you're saying. I've seen it where it looks like it's almost as if it's become a part of the plastic. Not even citrus oil can remove it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:54:49 »

I know what you're saying. I've seen it where it looks like it's almost as if it's become a part of the plastic. Not even citrus oil can remove it.

Packing and masking tapes have very different adhesives.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:59:35 »
Instead of making it shiny he made it sticky.  :rolleyes:
Also this is like mega-OCD.

Offline ditzo

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:01:14 »

Packing and masking tapes have very different adhesives.

yes yes. must not adhesives mix, young padawan

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:03:47 »

Welcome to GH ditzo!

Offline ditzo

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:10:34 »

Welcome to GH ditzo!

appreciated, you kindness is. learn ger you must. talk like me you will then.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:13:13 »

Welcome to GH ditzo!

After 3 posts you are warmly welcome.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:14:13 »

Welcome to GH ditzo!

I can already tell that you'll fit in here just fine, and that we are going to be good buds  :D

Offline drinkbleach

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:32:09 »

Welcome to GH ditzo!

I can already tell that you'll fit in here just fine, and that we are going to be good buds  :D

Welcome ditzo and "May the ReAlforce be with you"

Offline mapple

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 18:00:26 »

Welcome to GH ditzo!

could you please do me a favour and record even for 30 seconds how it looks to typo 242 wpm? i mean obviously switches got hard time and keycaps are overheating but how the hell you achieved that?
In God We Trust

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 18:01:54 »

Welcome to GH ditzo!

could you please do me a favour and record even for 30 seconds how it looks to typo 242 wpm? i mean obviously switches got hard time and keycaps are overheating but how the hell you achieved that?

I'd like to see it as well. Just to have something to share with friends: Hey come to see these fingers flying over qwertysh...

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 18:40:19 »

I'd like to see it as well. Just to have something to share with friends: Hey come to see these fingers flying over qwertysh...

I knew this day would come. I might record this feat at some point with my phone just to satiate the minds of the curious (and to stop causing threads to trail off topic which would probably lead to cease and desist PMs from dorkvader to take my sig down)  ;)

But yea. Another day. But the day will come. Keep a look out. Also, congrats ideus on 1k posts!  :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:18:55 »

I knew this day would come. I might record this feat at some point with my phone just to satiate the minds of the curious (and to stop causing threads to trail off topic which would probably lead to cease and desist PMs from dorkvader to take my sig down)  ;)

But yea. Another day. But the day will come. Keep a look out. Also, congrats ideus on 1k posts!  :)

Oh my, yeah I have reached 1k. TY. Please post that video, You should place the camera to see those words appearing like magic in the screen, while your fingers are floating over the board...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 23:23:36 »
BROS, I'm telling you:

Offline morpheus

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 23:41:32 »
BROS, I'm telling you:

Show Image

Sup bro, this is awesome bro!
Clear tape makes perfect sense bro!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 23:42:13 »
Hmmm... I don't know if I have solution for you guys... But there's a thing called "structural paint".
[snip]

Thanks for this!  Something new to research.  I've added a link to your post in the Keyboard Painting compilation thread.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 09:27:59 »
This thread is very informative. Should it be in other subforum? Let say in DIY for example?

Offline aref

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 16:43:40 »
I use black electrical friction tape, which has a rough, friction, rather than smooth-and-glossy surface. I've changed it a couple
times on a CMQFR I have. The adhesive has not affected the black plastic space bar. When I change the tape, rare as it is, I
clean the space with Bestine (solvent/thinner--a holdover from my days in publishing; used it to clean mechanicals before the
days of 'desktop' publishing). Bestine solvent has no noticeable affect on the ABS space bar. I experimented with Bestine on
key caps with legends, and, again, it's had no affect on printed caps' legends. I buy the product from an art-supply store. I
tried black duct tape, but I didn't care for the tape's smooth feel and was uncertain about the action of the tape's strong
adhesive on ABS.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 March 2014, 16:51:08 by SSKGuy »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 04:47:02 »

Guys, maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internets... remember, what Abraham Lincoln said...

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln
The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 11:35:41 »

Guys, maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internets... remember, what Abraham Lincoln said...

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine.

Yup, yet another wise quote from Abraham about the internet.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 14:50:52 »

Yup, yet another wise quote from Abraham about the internet.

Was Mr. Lincoln a touch typist?  :))

Offline niubio

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 05:52:45 »
Thanks for this!  Something new to research.  I've added a link to your post in the Keyboard Painting compilation thread.

Hey, that's nice! :) Hope it'll help someone, but there's a lot of research to be done, as I've said before - only tried it ONCE. I restore old boards mostly so I rarely pull out my brush lately :) Anyway, that's a cool thread! I'll try to paint a board or two someday! :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 09:02:53 »
After months of use my PBT space bars have not lost any texture. I know there is no PBT bars for all the boards, but just want to let you know that PBT is an option to prevent wear.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:14:39 »
After months of use my PBT space bars have not lost any texture. I know there is no PBT bars for all the boards, but just want to let you know that PBT is an option to prevent wear.

Let me know when you find Topre friendly PBT spacebars... I'll buy a 1000 and make a fortune selling them.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:15:46 »
could you do a stem swap?