Author Topic: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14.5mm front height | in production  (Read 49584 times)

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 22:45:26 »
Taking some inspiration from the J-* keyboards, I've sketched out an idea for covering the PCB using magnets and a thin brass plate. Because there aren't any external fasteners, it only adds ~1mm between the PCB and the desktop. I'm not crazy about it because it adds complexity to the design but I figured I'd float it here anyway. For now I'm going to move ahead with prototyping the case as originally designed with the exposed PCB and we can re-visit this down the line.

Here are some pictures:

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 02:49:38 »
Taking some inspiration from the J-* keyboards, I've sketched out an idea for covering the PCB using magnets and a thin brass plate. Because there aren't any external fasteners, it only adds ~1mm between the PCB and the desktop. I'm not crazy about it because it adds complexity to the design but I figured I'd float it here anyway. For now I'm going to move ahead with prototyping the case as originally designed with the exposed PCB and we can re-visit this down the line.

Here are some pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Stop I can only get so erect!

The issue of ESD and dust is one that completely slipped my mind, and thanks to The_Royal for bringing this up. Should I ever decide for this board, this would be a welcome addition.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 10:36:51 »

Here are some pictures:

A great compromise that pleases everyone.  Nice work  :thumb:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 10:39:56 »
Def like that approach more. i'd probably get my own arylic/pc plate cut and find some way to magnetize it to leave it clear.

Offline swingkat

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:53:22 »
Definitely like the idea of a clear plate to cover the exposed PCB. Could something like that be done as an option with the group buy? I was actually not a fan due to the exposed pcb, but if there was an option to cover it, I'd consider a buy.

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 12:03:16 »

Here are some pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is it, chief!

Offline chits

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 17:00:50 »
make it PC for the 'exposed' effect without actually exposing it...unless a sheet of PC that thin would be too fragile.

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 01:33:47 »
I'm 100% in for the exposed pcb myself, but that magnetic compromise looks good! :thumb:

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 02:54:57 »

I already liked this board/design a lot when it was exposed and was previously in favor of just leaving it exposed, but after seeing this concept, I do prefer the revision. Nice job!

Offline lootbag

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 00:25:46 »
This is interesting! I need a TKL in my life.

Offline ryou965

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 07:13:02 »
oh god please take my money

Offline OverHerb3

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 09:19:45 »
Please take my money, this looks amazing!

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:37:13 »
Is there a already a price floating around? I know it will be an estimate at this point but still.
Also, is there a Discord server already?
Would be nice to have.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:39:02 by Aquilla »

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 16:53:24 »
I'll keep an eye on it

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 09:03:46 »
Re: ISO and Alps PCBs
I don't anticipate enough interest to make these options possible but I'm happy to open source the PCB which you can then modify to your liking.

If ISO is gonna happen the plate would need to support it as well, keep that in mind. And I sure hope it does happen :)

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 23:57:17 »
Apologies for the long delay, here’s a quick status update:

tl;dr Prototype to arrive early May, probably not much activity until then.

Unfortunately due to the COVID19 situation I have very little spare time these days so progress has slowed. I am focusing on kicking off tasks that will take a long time to complete like prototyping, and putting off less critical things like making attractive renders. Rest assured, I will not start the group buy until I have the full time I need to devote to it.

I have ordered a first prototype and parts will be trickling in through early May. The only major change to the design is removal of the badge over the nav cluster. In the end it just wasn’t possible to get what I consider to be an acceptably tight fit at a reasonable cost. Otherwise the current design is very close to the renders in the original post. I am still exploring the covered bottom option but that's on hold for now and likely won’t make it into the first round of the group buy.

Thank you all for the support, the feedback has been encouraging. The next step for me is to put some nice renders together and start thinking about finishes and colors, so be on the lookout for those.

3.) What if you got in touch with Kailh and inquire about getting Custom Colored(plastic portion) sockets for use on the PCB.  That, along with a killer silkscreen, could make for a beautiful and stunning Bottom View of your board.[/size]

I love this idea and have been discussing it with Kaihua. They can do it but it'll be expensive so I'm going to leave it as a "we'll see" for now.

Is there a already a price floating around? I know it will be an estimate at this point but still.
Also, is there a Discord server already?
Would be nice to have.

I’ve gotten manufacturing quotes that would let me run this as low as $250 a board up through three times that amount. In the end, you get what you pay for. What are you willing to tolerate as far as tool marks, anodizing blemishes, &c.? I’m pretty confident I can reach my quality goals (which, admittedly, are high) at a price between $350 and $400 (shipped in CONUS). If this manufacturer comes through with a good prototype, it may be lower. If freight costs continue to rise, it may go up.

Discord server created (I think?)… https://discord.gg/rX7BZhK. I’m not sure what the protocol is: do we agree in advance on a time to log on and discuss? Or is it more of a free for all? Forgive me for being a little out of touch.

Nice. Make sure to test the prototypes by pressing the escape key. I am having concerns that the far left and right sides dont have enough support and might tilt to the left or right. :) Just a heads-up to watch out for that,
Everything else looks real nice

It's hard to tell from the renders but the brass weight is a bit wider than it looks. Only the Escape and Pause columns are "floating", every other key is supported. I will, of course make sure that everything is stable though and extend the weight if it is not.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:39:33 »
Hey,

As for the Discord channel. Well done!  :thumb:

However, some advice.

-Make a 'welcome' topic for only people who have entered the Discord channel, in which no one can comment of course (close topic for comments)

-A separate topic with 'announcements' for when there are updates that you want to share with the community. (close topic for comments)

-Also a topic for 'general' chat concerns Mesa TKL. (just like here on Geekhack, same concept so to speak) > NO VOICE channel for this.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:42:22 by alper_maestro »

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height (new renders)
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 16:29:45 »
Another quick update:

I've added some updated renders to the main post. I've only just starting learning Blender so these are improving as I figure things out but I think they're passable for now.

The discord server is up and I try to spend some time there every few days so check it out if you more detailed questions or comments.

Meanwhile parts have started arriving. I've got the silicone and foam parts, the PCB will arrive later this week, and I'm still waiting on a status update about the case.

Offline ecbob

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 05:25:00 »
What kind of color ways are you looking at?

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 17:57:54 »

Colors are undecided so far. The plate and weight will be un-treated brass regardless so any color options will have to match that. Clear/silver and black anodizing are easy and universally popular. E-white might be an option as well, I'm still working that out with the manufacturer.

I'm happy to mock up renders of other color and keycap set combinations on request if you have an idea.

I'm waiting to post a proper IC poll until I have prototype in hand and have had a chance to do some testing and post a thorough writeup. It's a bit behind schedule but I expect to be able to do that within two weeks.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 04:52:58 »

Colors are undecided so far. The plate and weight will be un-treated brass regardless so any color options will have to match that. Clear/silver and black anodizing are easy and universally popular. E-white might be an option as well, I'm still working that out with the manufacturer.

I'm happy to mock up renders of other color and keycap set combinations on request if you have an idea.

I'm waiting to post a proper IC poll until I have prototype in hand and have had a chance to do some testing and post a thorough writeup. It's a bit behind schedule but I expect to be able to do that within two weeks.

Will there only be a WKL version?

Offline werc

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 10:43:00 »
+1 for a cover. would particularly love something transparent like acrylic or polycarbonate
+1 for hotswap; definitely prefer this for flexibility

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 12:03:24 »

Will there only be a WKL version?
[/quote]

This will depend on the poll but I expect there will be enough interest to make both.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 12:49:15 »
Big update - prototype has arrived, IC Poll is up!

First off, please fill out the poll! The responses will determine what configurations will be available and help me estimate the final cost.

The first prototype is assembled and tested!

The prototype case has finally arrived and despite a slew of manufacturing issues, it has served its purpose in validating the overall design. I will be making some minor adjustments but I believe the case design to be complete. Unless something else comes up, the final product will look exactly as it does in the most recent set of renders.

I’m pretty unhappy with the factory that made this first case so I will be switching manufacturers. Unfortunately this will mean a delay as I order a second prototype. The new manufacturer has a great reputation for making high quality keyboards, however it will be more expensive than I originally planned. As they say, you get what you pay for.

I’ve posted links to a build album, typing video, and the results of testing to address the concerns expressed over an exposed PCB. I have been using the keyboard as my daily driver for the past week and I am really pleased with the results. The low height makes it extremely comfortable to type on without a wrist rest. I’m also very happy with the sound profile. Between the foam under the plate and the isolation mount you can hardly tell that there’s an opening in the bottom of the case.

I have made a few changes as a result of testing the prototype:

• The raw brass parts look spectacular for about 24 hours and then they tarnish pretty badly. The new manufacturer assures me that the brass parts will be oiled so I’ll see how that goes before turning to other options. I tried finishing wax on this prototype and the results were okay. Polished stainless steel is also a possibility but that does increase the cost (and would require re-working the USB port to make it flush rather than recessed.)
  • I’ve changed the plate damping layer to foam rather than silicone rubber. The silicone would require injection molding or casting which are well outside the scope of this project. The foam plate damper is a hair thicker than the silicone fill I designed so I may raise the case by half a millimeter or so to account for it.
  • I’ve chosen to use poron rather than silicone rubber for the gaskets as it provides noticeably better isolation.
  • I may remove the foam layer between the PCB and the bottom of the case because it has a pretty minimal effect on the overall acoustics. With the hot-swap sockets it servers a secondary purpose of keeping the PCB tight to plate but if I go the soldered route, it’s pretty necessary.

No covered option

After much consideration and testing a few different possibilities, I have decided not to offer a covered option for the bottom of the case. There are lot of technical reasons for this which I’m happy to discuss in a separate thread but ultimately it comes down to a conflict with the main design goal of lowering the plate as much as possible. Based on my stress testing I think fears about damage to the exposed PCB are overblown. There are very few scenarios that result in damage to Mesa but not a traditional, fully-enclosed keyboard. If you’re really planning to put your keyboard through the wringer, you should probably consider a different one. (This not meant to be exclusionary - design is all about trade-offs you and have to decide what’s important for your use case.)

Colors

Ultimately the available color-ways will decided by the poll. I really like the way the clear anodizing turned out, especially with the brass weight. This manufacturer offers e-white which would look also great with raw brass. I’ve added some renders below with some other color ideas. I really like the way the under-saturated colors keep the metallic texture of the aluminum so I’ll order some color chips to see if they can make that happen.

More
Black anodizing + brass weight
E-white + brass weight
Peach anodizing + stainless steel weight
Teal anodizing + stainless steel weight
Lilac anodizing + stainless steel weight

Group buy

My current plan is to ship 20 keyboards. There is some flexibility in this number but it seems to be the sweet spot between cost, risk, and what I can manage by myself. If after the IC poll it seems like there is significantly more interest than this, I will explore other options such as working with a vendor.

Prototype Commissions

I’ve accepted a couple of prototype commissions (i.e., I add a unit for you to my prototype order) from family/close friends and am considering opening this up as theoretically I have capacity for two more. Let me be absolutely clear: this is a high-risk, high-cost proposition! You would be paying more than the GB price for a board whose quality I cannot guarantee (since I have not worked with this manufacturer before!) The upshot is you would get your board much sooner and in whatever color/material combination you’d want since they’re one-offs anyway. If you’re interested, send me a private message.

Next Steps

1. Collect the results of the IC poll
2. Make adjustments as necessary
3. Put in an order for the second prototype, color chips
4. Pricing
5. Set a GB date.

Until next time

The COVID lockdown is easing here in California and childcare resumes this week (thank goodness) so I’ll be more active again going forward.

Offline Tyson

Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height (fill out the poll!)
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 18:03:25 »
Just filled out the form! I'm extremely looking forward to this GB! Depending on the price I'm 95% sure I'll be going for this when the GB starts! I really love the look and would love it if there is a solderable pcb but if not I think i can live with hot swap.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 03:43:15 »
Filled in the form. Hoping for a Hot-swap with Winkey variant. Silver color would be nice or Dark grey is also cool I think.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 03:49:28 by alper_maestro »

Offline VXQN

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 04:15:00 »
This looks great, love how innovative the design is!

Offline melikewater

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:47:00 »
Is the discord link broken? I havent been able to join for awhile.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:57:15 »
Is the discord link broken? I havent been able to join for awhile.

Yes, sorry! This is the link: https://discord.gg/rX7BZhK

Fixed in the main post as well.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 17:29:19 »
First off, thank you all for responding to the poll. If you haven’t done so yet please do, I’m checking the responses every few days as they trickle in. I’ve used the results to simulate the group buy with many different constraints and assumptions (I’m a software engineer, I can’t help myself) and this is the configuration that results in the most orders:

Price: $450
MOQ: 20
Limit: none
- TKL only (no WKL option)
- Soldered PCB only w/ ISO support
- colors: e-white, clear anodizing, black anodizing
- Sand/blasted and oiled brass weight and plate

I’m sure there are a lot of questions so I’ll explain my choices below:

Cost

The change in manufacturer added nearly $100 per board in machining costs. It turns out that quality manufacturing and especially finishing are expensive, even in China. I’m simply not taking any chances on this. I’ve chosen a reputable manufacturer that understands the expectations for high-end keyboards and the cost reflects that.

On top of that, there is a (at least for now) 15% tariff on keyboards and keyboard parts manufactured in China. I’m still working through the details to see if there’s a (legal!) way around this but so far it doesn’t look like it and it adds just under $50 to the final cost.

All in, my costs are about $400 per board. This includes materials, manufacturing, freight (to me), packaging, and auxiliary costs like e-commerce transaction fees. On top of that I will be charging $50 per board as my margin. This money will be put aside to deal with manufacturing and logistical issues as they arise. If everything goes smoothly, it will go towards offsetting some of my prototyping costs (which are nearing $1500 at this point).

I know $450 is a lot of money for a keyboard, especially from a first time GB runner, but in my view this is the only way to make it work. So I’m going to move forward with round two prototypes this weekend and when it comes time to run the GB either we reach MOQ or we don’t.

MOQ/Limits

Based the poll results I’m expecting between 20 and 25 orders so all of the pricing is based on an MOQ of 20. Because of this I’m not to concerned with setting an upper limit on orders. If there is a swell of interest before the GB starts, I’ll revisit this.

Options

This was tricky because the results are very evenly split along almost every parameter. In the end, after slicing the poll results every which way, I think these options have the highest likelihood of meeting MOQ and getting made. Annoyingly, most of my preferences lost out (WKL and hot-swap) so I’m considering making those options available as add-ons but they would be pretty expensive do to the low volume.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you on the pricing front - I had really hoped to keep the board under $400. On the bright side, I’ve been using the prototype for a few weeks now and, despite the abysmal machining quality, I have to say I'm really liking it. I'm excited to see what this new manufacturer can do and at the prospect of sharing this board with you all. Hopefully the higher than expected price doesn’t put this board out of reach for too many people.

I’m going to post some updated renders to reflect the boards that will be offered in the group buy. Thanks to those that commissioned prototypes, I am expecting to have photos of each configuration offered.

That's all for now, stay safe out there.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 17:33:17 »
RIP no WKL, I'm out. I was really interested in this design. I'm still interested in seeing what this board sounds and feels like, maybe one of the GB winners can let me build the board for them on my stream when these things come in!

Offline Jyobah

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 18:36:13 »
I am thrilled this will be a GB soon. Very nicely done with the updates and transparent about your cost per board and why the prices are the way they are.

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 19:49:20 »
can we vote for WK vs WKL for the run?

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 11:25:51 »
RIP no WKL, I'm out.

I just mentioned this in the discord but I'll post it here to because I think it's important:

I still really want to make WKL available, especially because that’s my preference, and I think there are a few ways to do it. However I do not want any more price increases so if it comes down to it, the less popular configuration will pay the difference and right now that is WKL.

I am thrilled this will be a GB soon. Very nicely done with the updates and transparent about your cost per board and why the prices are the way they are.

Thank you - it's a lot of money and you have a right to know exactly what your spending it on!

Offline DarkShot

• Professional Procrastinator
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 15:50:31 »
Regarding the choice of Kailh hotswap sockets, you could probably fit some 7305 Mill-Max sockets in to obtain hotswap functionality without any clearance issues. It _would_ require soldering up front and increase the overall cost if someone chose to do it, but it seems like a reasonable compromise.

Offline tempo

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 19:58:57 »
Interesting design

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 23:27:30 »
Interesting how the angle was created, never seen the bottom of a keyboard being sloped into for that aspect.

Consider me interested! Any more colors?

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 02:16:27 »
Looking forward to how it'll turn out, I noticed the IC poll didn't include any questions about the thin piece of brass to cover the PCB, has a decision been taken in regards to that?

Offline beekey

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 02:57:28 »
Is there an overview with the supported layouts? I hope for split backspace...

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 11:45:23 »
The second round of case prototypes are in production with the new manufacturer and should arrive towards the end of August. The only changes to the case were to raise the plate/PCB slightly and to change the shape of the foam damper under the PCB. This prototype is mostly a quality check on the manufacturer since I'm quite confident in the design at this point.

I've also ordered more PCB prototypes since I've completely re-designed it based on feedback from the poll. It will be soldered with support for ISO, stepped caps, split right shift, and split backspace (I've added a layout graphic to the main post). I've also moved to the C3 version of ai03's universal daughterboard which has better circuit protections than my original design. Finally I've changed the soldermask to black after seeing some cosmetic issues with the white.

Logistics-wise I'm nearly ready to go with some packaging samples in the works. Assuming everything is good with the various prototypes, I'd like to start the GB in October. Due to some miscommunication with the manufacturer around minimum quantities I'm going to have to re-think the options on offer. WK+black/silver are pretty safe since it looks like these will easily meet MOQ. The big decision is if/whether to offer an e-white option or a WKL option with its own MOQ.

Any more colors?

Unfortunately no.

Looking forward to how it'll turn out, I noticed the IC poll didn't include any questions about the thin piece of brass to cover the PCB, has a decision been taken in regards to that?

There will be no cover on the bottom of the case - the first ~20mm of PCB are exposed on the bottom. There are no SMT components exposed and no power supply traces in the exposed portion so it's my view that it's totally safe but obviously it's a decision for everyone to make on their own.

Is there an overview with the supported layouts? I hope for split backspace...

Just added this to the main post. Split backspace will be supported.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 03:49:24 »
First off, thank you all for responding to the poll. If you haven’t done so yet please do, I’m checking the responses every few days as they trickle in. I’ve used the results to simulate the group buy with many different constraints and assumptions (I’m a software engineer, I can’t help myself) and this is the configuration that results in the most orders:

Price: $450
MOQ: 20
Limit: none
- TKL only (no WKL option)
- Soldered PCB only w/ ISO support
- colors: e-white, clear anodizing, black anodizing
- Sand/blasted and oiled brass weight and plate

I’m sure there are a lot of questions so I’ll explain my choices below:

Cost

The change in manufacturer added nearly $100 per board in machining costs. It turns out that quality manufacturing and especially finishing are expensive, even in China. I’m simply not taking any chances on this. I’ve chosen a reputable manufacturer that understands the expectations for high-end keyboards and the cost reflects that.

On top of that, there is a (at least for now) 15% tariff on keyboards and keyboard parts manufactured in China. I’m still working through the details to see if there’s a (legal!) way around this but so far it doesn’t look like it and it adds just under $50 to the final cost.

All in, my costs are about $400 per board. This includes materials, manufacturing, freight (to me), packaging, and auxiliary costs like e-commerce transaction fees. On top of that I will be charging $50 per board as my margin. This money will be put aside to deal with manufacturing and logistical issues as they arise. If everything goes smoothly, it will go towards offsetting some of my prototyping costs (which are nearing $1500 at this point).

I know $450 is a lot of money for a keyboard, especially from a first time GB runner, but in my view this is the only way to make it work. So I’m going to move forward with round two prototypes this weekend and when it comes time to run the GB either we reach MOQ or we don’t.

MOQ/Limits

Based the poll results I’m expecting between 20 and 25 orders so all of the pricing is based on an MOQ of 20. Because of this I’m not to concerned with setting an upper limit on orders. If there is a swell of interest before the GB starts, I’ll revisit this.

Options

This was tricky because the results are very evenly split along almost every parameter. In the end, after slicing the poll results every which way, I think these options have the highest likelihood of meeting MOQ and getting made. Annoyingly, most of my preferences lost out (WKL and hot-swap) so I’m considering making those options available as add-ons but they would be pretty expensive do to the low volume.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you on the pricing front - I had really hoped to keep the board under $400. On the bright side, I’ve been using the prototype for a few weeks now and, despite the abysmal machining quality, I have to say I'm really liking it. I'm excited to see what this new manufacturer can do and at the prospect of sharing this board with you all. Hopefully the higher than expected price doesn’t put this board out of reach for too many people.

I’m going to post some updated renders to reflect the boards that will be offered in the group buy. Thanks to those that commissioned prototypes, I am expecting to have photos of each configuration offered.

That's all for now, stay safe out there.

Whether or not a WKL version makes it into the final list of specs, I'm looking forward to this board regardless. This is one board that I plan on owning and being happy with. I'm glad you chose a manufacturer that understands everything a board needs in order to look and feel high quality. Pretty much no upper limit on this GB I'm very happy with, and I'm interested in a hot-swap option as well. Only thing I'm kind of feeling lonesome about is that I'd love to see a dark emerald green choice, but it's understandable if it doesn't end up as a final color. Looking forward to seeing how this board turns out.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 03:50:26 »

I'm also in support of this option  :thumb:

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 05:45:10 »
Great work on the ESD protection and the ISO.  WKL would be perfect and I am very interested in one of these. 
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline dibstern

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 23:56:47 »
Possible for a white WK version? I'm not sure why no one seems to be making one even though the demand for them is sky high

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 18:39:32 »
Not much to report except that prototypes are in transit and should arrive Soon(TM).

I'm also in support of this option  :thumb:

I've abandoned this for a number of reasons scattered around the thread but I'll update the main post for clarity. I'm glad you like the board, thanks for the feedback!

Possible for a white WK version? I'm not sure why no one seems to be making one even though the demand for them is sky high

Possible but as of right now unlikely. I can't speak for other GB runners but I will share my reasoning. I will be offering two combinations of layout+color based on likelihood of meeting MOQ. Due to manufacturing limitations I can select either two anodizing colors or one e-coat color per production run. So in order to be made, the demand for a configuration with e-white has to outweigh the demand for the next two (anodizing) color choices combined.

Offline parablol

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 20:00:30 »
This looks GOOD

I wish there was Tsangan-style layout that included split space. Nothing like that exists AFAIK.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14.5mm front height (GB opens Oct. 29)
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 01:54:30 »
tl;dr - GB opens 10/29, raffle for 50 spots, WK and WKL available in e-black and e-white;

Here's the last big update for this project before the GB goes live!

To quickly re-cap the last two months: the second round of case and PCB prototypes turned out great, the commissioned prototypes were delivered, and I’ve been working on setting up the business side of things. (Oh, and we welcomed a new baby so I haven't slept since August...) Check the top post for the updated photos and build log. Everything’s pretty much ready to go so without any further ado, here are the details:

The group buy will be limited to 50 units and spots will be decided by a raffle which will open on October 29th. The raffle will run for a week, at which point I’ll send out invoices, take payment through my fancy new online store, and get production rolling.

The following configurations will be on offer, each with its own separate MOQ:
- Standard Layout (MOQ: 20)
- Winkeyless Layout (MOQ: 20)
- Option of black or white e-coat finish with either layout

Apart from that:
- The weight and plate will be sand-blasted stainless steel
- The PCB will be black, soldered (not hot-swap!) with support for ISO, stepped caps, split shift/backspace
- The final price will be $450 + plus shipping + local taxes

Note that there will be no support for:
- ALPS
- ANSI/6.25U spacebar bottom row
- Hot swap
- Cover/window for exposed portion of PCB

The final kit will be nearly identical to the round 2 prototype pictured in the new build log. The following are the differences:

I’ve changed the silicone foot pads to domed bumpers
    Why: the domes provide better isolation and are more stable on uneven surfaces

The weight will be available in sand-blasted SS only
    Why: the weight part has proven difficult to machine reliably and I’ve been getting more consistent results with the SS. Also, the SS is much less prone to tarnish and discoloration than the brass.

E-coat rather than anodizing
    Why: the e-coat adheres better to the sharp corners than anodizing pigment for a more consistently even finish. I’ve worked with the manufacturer to offer a black option alongside the white.

The actual front height measurement is now approximately 14.5mm (depends on the compression in the bumper feet)
    Why: I’ve made small allowances for flex in the PCB. This is about a business-card-thickness taller than originally planned, but obviously still quite low.

Replaced the foam pad under the PCB with strips
    Why: Out of an abundance of caution, I don’t want any foam putting pressure on SMD components

PCB panelization changed
    Why: moved the breakaway tabs so that they are not visible through the slot in the bottom

Add ultra-low profile screws for spacebar stab
    Why: These screws will be included to replace the standard stabilizer screws so that they don’t protrude from the case.

I expected fulfillment to take 4-6 months but I’m not going to commit to a timeline. My experience with the lineup of suppliers has been great so far so I have no reason to expect delays but once I place the orders it is completely out of my hands and the parts arrive when they arrive.

I think that’s everything for now. If you have any question or if there’s anything you’d like to see (specific photo, video, measurement, &c.) please let me know so that I can post it before the raffle opens.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2020, 21:50:55 by dani_ »

Offline apexshikari

[IC] Mesa TKL - 14.5mm front height (GB opens Oct. 29)
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 02:07:16 »
:thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14.5mm front height (GB opens Oct. 29)
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 16:47:53 »
I've been getting some good questions which I think are of general interest so I'll post them here:

Is the PCB exposed through the bottom of the case?
Yes, the bottom row of switches is exposed through the bottom of the case. There is no window or covering despite some discussion to that effect earlier in the IC. I have already laid out my case as to why I don't think this is an issue so please read through my previous posts in the thread (hint: mine are the really long ones) before deciding if this board is for you.

Can I purchase multiple boards?
If all 50 spots are filled in the raffle, I will limit one board per buyer. I will add a multiple boards option to the raffle form and if there are spots left over I'll contact those people interested in multiple boards to work something out.

Extra plates, PCBs?
Yes! You can purchase extra PCBs, plates, and plate-pcb foam. You can already see these items in the store at mesakeyboards.com (though the prices might change a bit as I'm waiting for a few final quotes to come in).

How does e-black differ from black anodizing?
Anodizing is a dyeing process and e-coating is a painting process (similar to powder coating). In black, both finishes will look very similar since they don't reflect much light anyway but the e-coat will be slightly smoother and less metallic. I don't have an e-black sample on hand to show you but googling `site:geekhack.org e-black` will give you plenty of examples. The Leaf 60 GB thread has some high quality examples: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99002.0.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14.5mm front height (raffle is live!)
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 21:08:47 »
Posting the raffle link here since the GB thread hasn't been approved yet: https://forms.gle/K6NHErk7iWzcndiX9

Good luck and as always contact me with any questions.