Author Topic: When the Wurkplace gets a netwurk-Virus  (Read 6610 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
When the Wurkplace gets a netwurk-Virus
« on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 07:16:54 »
It's the equivalent of substitute-teacher/ Day Off.

Yay.. do nothing.. w00t w00t..  m0ar virus, m0ar day off ??

Your experiences ?

Offline JP

Re: When the Wurkplace gets a Virus
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 07:36:59 »

Your experiences ?

Show Image

Everyone continues to come to the office further spreading the plague. People can take days off but most don't and continue to work. No fun, only work until the corporate machine decides you are no longer needed.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 12:04:50 »

Your experiences ?

Show Image

When the school gets a virus, hardly never happens since the computers work like ####.  But if it does, i could have a high chance of being suspended since i am fluent in speaking tech.

But don't worry: am good student and have never been suspended before.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 12:05:16 »

Your experiences ?

Show Image

Everyone continues to come to the office further spreading the plague. People can take days off but most don't and continue to work. No fun, only work until the corporate machine decides you are no longer needed.

They'd probably keep me for my typing skills  ;D

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 13:00:01 »
Oh did you mean computer virus? Sound like a conspiracy then. The viruses must conveniently be infecting the network whenever TP4 needs a day off. Whenever we have a core system down it's because it's usually some kind of hardware failure or human error and this makes the work day hell for our IT department.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2019, 13:01:34 by JP »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 13:10:16 »
Oh did you mean computer virus? Sound like a conspiracy then. The viruses must conveniently be infecting the network whenever TP4 needs a day off. Whenever we have a core system down it's because it's usually some kind of hardware failure or human error and this makes the work day hell for our IT department.

Tp4 = friendly , therefore, ! not a virus.

Also, it's not like Tp didn't go in,  it's like a do nothing day more than / full day off.  Kind of like late day fridays, and pizza day.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: When the Wurkplace gets a netwurk-Virus
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 18:56:49 »
Never had a major virus outbreak at any site I've managed. Infections, yes, but it was never able to spread due to our policies and A/V.

We did have a system that shut down almost the entire network for most of a day, we suspect a bad nic (I've seen them cause all sorts of weird issues) but since it wasn't our system we were not able do anything more than unplug it once we were able to identify the system.

First time I colocated a server the guy helping me install the system in the rack admitted they had a ton of viruses running around the network. I almost took my system and walked out right then. I've since come to realize pretty much every host and network is garbage, it may be cheap garbage it may be expensive garbage, but almost all of them are garbage.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline JP

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 20:08:02 »
Never had a major virus outbreak at any site I've managed. Infections, yes, but it was never able to spread due to our policies and A/V.

We did have a system that shut down almost the entire network for most of a day, we suspect a bad nic (I've seen them cause all sorts of weird issues) but since it wasn't our system we were not able do anything more than unplug it once we were able to identify the system.

First time I colocated a server the guy helping me install the system in the rack admitted they had a ton of viruses running around the network. I almost took my system and walked out right then. I've since come to realize pretty much every host and network is garbage, it may be cheap garbage it may be expensive garbage, but almost all of them are garbage.

At least they knew there were issues. Plenty of medical providers and financial institutions have servers co-located if that makes feel any better  :thumb:. Be wary of anyone who tells you a system or network is secure.  It's crazy how even air gapped networks can be compromised. Here let me sprinkle some compromised flash drives with a company logo around a parking lot and lets see what happens...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 21:26:22 »
At least they knew there were issues. Plenty of medical providers and financial institutions have servers co-located if that makes feel any better  :thumb:. Be wary of anyone who tells you a system or network is secure.  It's crazy how even air gapped networks can be compromised. Here let me sprinkle some compromised flash drives with a company logo around a parking lot and lets see what happens...
They knew it was there and did nothing about it, what else are they not taking care of?
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline JP

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 22:36:52 »
They knew it was there and did nothing about it, what else are they not taking care of?

That would probably be a no go for if it were anything really critical.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 05:32:02 »

It seems like the "it departments" in our schools are only paid to turn the computer on. They don't even know how to fix anything. When i have a problem, they need SIX WEEKS to fix it.

Most IT in actual companies have less than a day to fi their problems.

Offline JP

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 06:04:41 »
It seems like the "it departments" in our schools are only paid to turn the computer on. They don't even know how to fix anything. When i have a problem, they need SIX WEEKS to fix it.

Some school districts are better ran than others. I interned at the IT department of a school district. There was an IT director and one technician. They supported a number of different schools in the area. It was pretty boring. I got to hookup or swap out computers, install software, basic troubleshooting, AV scans, basic administration for user accounts, etc. Beyond that there wasn't anything hi-tech and rarely would they think about taking hardware apart for repair. I think most hardware had some sort of service contract. It was a lot of bouncing around to place to place though. The school I went to had the same support staff except they had a fraction of systems to support and did a crap job at it. All the computers were just really old and falling apart, poor security, totally apathy unless the head IT person caught you playing a simple flash game they would suspend your account. That was okay since I still had an anonymous account and one teachers account and also could get around their web filters. There was one hilarious moment when the disc tray of a cd-rom disc kept opening an closing like it was stuck in an infinite loop. The tech sees and comes to my station and immediately yanks the disc tray out. Problem solved! I think he knew better as he was A+ certified but knew the computers were garbage.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2019, 06:10:35 by JP »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 07:02:26 »

Some school districts are better ran than others. I interned at the IT department of a school district. There was an IT director and one technician. They supported a number of different schools in the area. It was pretty boring. I got to hookup or swap out computers, install software, basic troubleshooting, AV scans, basic administration for user accounts, etc. Beyond that there wasn't anything hi-tech and rarely would they think about taking hardware apart for repair. I think most hardware had some sort of service contract. It was a lot of bouncing around to place to place though. The school I went to had the same support staff except they had a fraction of systems to support and did a crap job at it. All the computers were just really old and falling apart, poor security, totally apathy unless the head IT person caught you playing a simple flash game they would suspend your account. That was okay since I still had an anonymous account and one teachers account and also could get around their web filters. There was one hilarious moment when the disc tray of a cd-rom disc kept opening an closing like it was stuck in an infinite loop. The tech sees and comes to my station and immediately yanks the disc tray out. Problem solved! I think he knew better as he was A+ certified but knew the computers were garbage.

What do you think i use at school! An intel core 2 duo!

Offline JP

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 07:11:42 »

I see not much has changed. The school I interned at was just getting those but where I graduated from had Pentium 3's for their higher end but 95% were Dells with Pentium II's and Windows 98.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 19:21:44 »
Some school districts are better ran than others. I interned at the IT department of a school district. There was an IT director and one technician. They supported a number of different schools in the area.

Problem solved! I think he knew better as he was A+ certified but knew the computers were garbage.
Like most everying in schools (other than sports teams) they are underfunded, understaffed and under appreciated.

As for A+, it depends on when he got it, the old one became an absolute joke in the industry because it was so ridiculously outdated (basically 80's technology). New ones are good for 3 years, but the old one which became a joke is good for life. I started to take the old one and walked out, not only was it too easy and outdated, I can't justify charging more for something just because I have a piece of paper that says I understand 80's technology.

Core2's (depending on the model) are not as bad as you think, their biggest issues are sata2 with spinner drive and the ddr2 memory which due to a hurricane was extremely costly at the end of it's life. Put a standard drive in a much newer system with equal memory and they too run horrible because the drive is going to be a massive bottleneck.

SSDs are what really hurt the core2 platform the most, sata3 was better, but nvme really put the most hurt on it. I've seen atom powered tablets with 2gig ram and an nvme drive run circles around anything core2 can offer, simply because of the drive.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline JP

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 20:16:42 »
Like most everying in schools (other than sports teams) they are underfunded, understaffed and under appreciated.

As for A+, it depends on when he got it, the old one became an absolute joke in the industry because it was so ridiculously outdated (basically 80's technology). New ones are good for 3 years, but the old one which became a joke is good for life. I started to take the old one and walked out, not only was it too easy and outdated, I can't justify charging more for something just because I have a piece of paper that says I understand 80's technology.

Yeah I took my A+ a week before I started a new job as it was required. I've never since needed it so that's not on my to do list to update. 80's tech...gotta be prepared for anything lol. I had an intro class once that was bad like that. Why do I need to know what TSR's are when we are on Windows 7 now?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 20:56:58 »
As a person that runs a Core 2 Duo (reluctantly) everyday as his main 'rig' I've got to agree with Leslieann.  Though there will admittedly be many limitations of what research can be accomplished with such a system.

A Core 2 Duo is probably not going to get that sweet sweet grant money to continue AI research, but with some TLC (monthly maintenance because you know those old heat-sinks fill up with dust + re-paste once a year) a Core 2 Duo can be the start of a decent foundation.  I think I paid like $160 for my system 6+ years ago lol..  Now-a-days I see videos by youtubers showing off what they can do with $15-50 Core 2 Duo system videos.  Completely affordable, and Eco-friendly.

For example (laugh if you want--I can take it) with a Core 2 Duo at the ripe age of 30+ I learned how to: 3D render a few different types of keyboards (legends, icons, case, lighting rigs, etc.--room to improve), compile .deb kernel packages, build custom live Debian usb stick images, deploy Nextcloud LAMP Docker containers, install Nextcloud + LEMP stack, install and manage several variants of Linux desktops, servers and or virtual machines, learn some basic developer stuff like tutorial level git repo management,  etc.  If it's all you got then make the best of it.  Who knows where an old system make take you.  The average non-enthusiast user might not even know the difference if there's a reliable SSD involved (and Windows 10 updates are configured for a metered network connection).

A+ Certification is kinda old school at this point (was popular when I was still in high school).  Might as well check out RHEL certification or general hybrid cloud fields of study. 

Container orchestration (aside from FreeBSD jails..) might even be old school by the time anyone reads this the way things are going.

With all that said, I'm am not the success story you are looking for.

My nostalgic Windows XP side feels like worms would be more destructive than viruses.  That said, I haven't had to actually worry about malicious software infestations since like 2016.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 21:28:39 »
Tp4 ran the e8600 Wolfdale  C2D for a LONG while.

Great Starcraft 2 CPU for its time.

4.1ghz,  water kewled

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870

Pwnzorgzn' all the online peeps in wc3 Dota.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 23:50:50 »
You can upgrade a Core2Duo to a Core2Quad Q6600 for less than $10 on Ebay.
These work really well if you are not a gamer and even if you are it's still a big upgrade for most Core2duos. They lack ghz, but are still good, especially for $10.

TP's recomendation of the c2d e8600 is a great upgrade for about $15 on Ebay.
These are good for gamers as they have a better ghz speed than the Q6600.

A Q9550 will get you close to 1st gen Core I5 performance for $20
In between the q6600 and e8600 for ghz but with 4 cores these are workhorses that can chew through a lot of data. They don't overlclock like the e8600 so on games that's still a better choice if that's your main goal, but for anything else I'd take this. I've seen these repeatedly punch well above their class, especially in linux.

Like Tp said, with an overclock, the latter 2 can do pretty decent even on relatively modern games. They won't push a GTX 1070 to the limit but it's a $15-$20 upgrade that can make a pretty decent difference. Toss in an NVME to PCIE adapter for $8 (seriously, $8) and a cheap NVME SSD (the adapter overcomes the sata2 speed limitation), and you will embarass A LOT of newer and far more expensive systems. I'd also recommend throwing in a pcie USB 3.0 adapter for another $8 for that sweet usb 3.0 just to round things out.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2019, 23:53:46 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 00:02:42 »
I forget that 90% or more of GHers are here just for gaming.

Forget I said anything, probably for the best anyway.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 00:14:05 »

There's a pretty major difference in system responsiveness between C2D and GEN2 i-series (sandybridge).

I'm not so sure on upgrading a C2D setup,  because they sell Used 3-series i5 systems for < $100

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 00:20:07 »

I thought what you said made sense, it's why I elabporated on it some more. Unlike systems before, these still have some life left in them after all these years.
And yes, they probably are here for gaming, but if they are still rocking a c2d, odds are they can't afford a new I5 or I7.

I do agree with TP to a degree, don't spend too much, or you may as well upgrade the whole thing. The ssd setup I mentioned can be put into something newer though, so it should be considered an investment.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 06:11:35 »
You can upgrade a Core2Duo to a Core2Quad Q6600 for less than $10 on Ebay.
These work really well if you are not a gamer and even if you are it's still a big upgrade for most Core2duos. They lack ghz, but are still good, especially for $10.

TP's recomendation of the c2d e8600 is a great upgrade for about $15 on Ebay.
These are good for gamers as they have a better ghz speed than the Q6600.

A Q9550 will get you close to 1st gen Core I5 performance for $20
In between the q6600 and e8600 for ghz but with 4 cores these are workhorses that can chew through a lot of data. They don't overlclock like the e8600 so on games that's still a better choice if that's your main goal, but for anything else I'd take this. I've seen these repeatedly punch well above their class, especially in linux.

Like Tp said, with an overclock, the latter 2 can do pretty decent even on relatively modern games. They won't push a GTX 1070 to the limit but it's a $15-$20 upgrade that can make a pretty decent difference. Toss in an NVME to PCIE adapter for $8 (seriously, $8) and a cheap NVME SSD (the adapter overcomes the sata2 speed limitation), and you will embarass A LOT of newer and far more expensive systems. I'd also recommend throwing in a pcie USB 3.0 adapter for another $8 for that sweet usb 3.0 just to round things out.

Can't really. It's a workplace computer. I do not have a computer of my own.

Offline JP

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 07:21:22 »
I went from a C2D overclocked to 3 Ghz to a C2Q that I also overclocked. Both did everything I needed and more really. When I got a great deal on parts though I upgraded to an i7 3770k so I think I'll set for a long while. Haven't even overclocked that one yet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 08:40:42 »
3770k requires delid for optimal Overclocking.

You're gonna need Liquid ultra (liquid metal paste) after you delid.

Offline JP

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 09:25:32 »

Oh gosh I looked into that once. Have to delid and apply liquid metal or perhaps a better than stock thermal paste to optimize heat transfer. I don't have liquid cooling but a instead a high end air cooler. Not sure it's worth all the trouble and potential for damage (not that I don't trust myself enough to do it correctly).
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2019, 10:19:31 by JP »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 09:47:28 »

Oh gosh I looked into that once. Have to delid and apply liquid metal or even a better than stick thermal paste to optimize heat transfer. I don't have liquid cooling but a instead a high end air cooler. Not sure it's worth all the trouble and potential for damage (not that I don't trust myself enough to do it correctly).

They make delid tool now. it's quite safe. You can also 3D print one. 

It USED to be kind of risky.

Tp4 did the 3770, 4770, 6700, 7700,  all by vice and hammer, all wurk'gud

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 09:58:14 »
Might as well lap the CPU while you're going hardcore.  I'm surprised tp4 never mentions lapping. lol

Offline JP

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 10:23:21 »
Might as well lap the CPU while you're going hardcore.  I'm surprised tp4 never mentions lapping. lol

:p

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 10:40:16 »

:p

(Attachment Link)

Such technique, much style *wilson wow*

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 10:40:18 »

Lapping is not worth it.  especially on non-soldered chips.

It's possible to get a good looking mirror finish which looks flat.

But in actuality, it's probably less uniform thickness than the Factory (unlapped).

The reason this wasn't that big an issue, is because of overclocker's use of larger coolers and alot of clamping pressure

You guys need to send the lid off to a machinist if you want Uniform flatness.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 10:58:55 »

Lapping is not worth it.  especially on non-soldered chips.

It's possible to get a good looking mirror finish which looks flat.

But in actuality, it's probably less uniform thickness than the Factory (unlapped).

The reason this wasn't that big an issue, is because of overclocker's use of larger coolers and alot of clamping pressure

You guys need to send the lid off to a machinist if you want Uniform flatness.

I'm sure half ass-ing the delid process will be fine... totally fine.  No one needs to lap CPUs that double as spinning tops or anything like that </sarcasm>

Offline JP

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 11:01:59 »
If master craftsmen can make something super round I'm sure we can do flat.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14229-roundest-objects-in-the-world-created/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 11:36:54 »

I'm sure half ass-ing the delid process will be fine... totally fine.  No one needs to lap CPUs that double as spinning tops or anything like that </sarcasm>

No, this guy's a n00b,  Liquid metal is what's responsible for the primary advantage to Delid.

Using thermal paste between the IHS and the Die, is what's limiting that video bench.

He's also not accounting for die size differences when he's making the statement delid doesn't do anything.

For a larger die, the difference will be smaller, because overall the contact area is higher, therefore it's innately has better dissipation.

On smaller dies delid makes a bigger difference, because of how tiny the contact surface is.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 13:13:11 »
Professional means you're paid for your particular skill right?

I feel like that is the opposite of a noobishness.

But what do I know, I'm just a mortal without giant teal/green text.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 14:21:38 »

"Like most everying in schools (other than sports teams) they are underfunded, understaffed and under appreciated. "

Mines is overfunded, but we have working computers. Mines is one of the biggest schools in the board, so we have high budget, however it is spent on anything other than computers.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 14:23:22 »
Some school districts are better ran than others. I interned at the IT department of a school district. There was an IT director and one technician. They supported a number of different schools in the area.

Problem solved! I think he knew better as he was A+ certified but knew the computers were garbage.

Core2's (depending on the model) are not as bad as you think, their biggest issues are sata2 with spinner drive and the ddr2 memory which due to a hurricane was extremely costly at the end of it's life. Put a standard drive in a much newer system with equal memory and they too run horrible because the drive is going to be a massive bottleneck.

SSDs are what really hurt the core2 platform the most, sata3 was better, but nvme really put the most hurt on it. I've seen atom powered tablets with 2gig ram and an nvme drive run circles around anything core2 can offer, simply because of the drive.

The bottleneck is the Q45 express chip, which fails to run 3d content and games.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 14:24:22 »

SO GIANT TEXT LIKE THIS?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 14:33:00 »

SO GIANT TEXT LIKE THIS?

There go.  That's a really good start.

Offline JP

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 15:04:53 »
Not teal though

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 15:08:58 »

Professional means many different things.

For example, professional body building.

What does that really mean.

In-general, it means eat carcinogenic meats/ supplements, drink cancer juice (Milk), and shot up on steroids (another cancer supplement).

A person can be very good at those things. and his job is to sell all that cancer to people who don't yet have cancer.

That is the same case with Electronics influencers on youtube.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 15:34:40 »
The guy got his start fixing computers for other people, who in turn gave him these things from this credit system I've heard called currency.

I'm pretty sure Terry Crews and Post Malone will hire any ole person off the street to co-design and build a custom one off computer for them too.

Then there's that pesky Fractal Design sponsorship that everyone and their neighbor has to deal with.  What a total sham indeed.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 16:19:05 »
we need to create a virus that changes all text to teal comic sans

Offline JP

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 16:32:10 »
FTFY

we need to create a virus that changes all text to teal comic sans

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2019, 16:34:57 by JP »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 20:06:40 »

Still working up the nerve to delid my 8700k
I have personally witnessed lapping make a difference, it just depends on how flat it is from the factory. Soem are good, some are TERRIBLE.

The bottleneck is the Q45 express chip, which fails to run 3d content and games.
Never had an issue with gaming on mine, but that was a while back.
On the other hand, get it compiling something and it will tear through it like a champ.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 20:22:02 »
buy the delid tool. it's pretty easy nowadays.

Tp4 still do hammer + vice..

Or could get fancy, go over to the cnc machine.. clamp it, and have it push w/ Precision Cnc control. !!

There's no way to break it since the machine will push it precisely 1mm.

Or i guess, if the ihs flies off too fast, it could crash into the die capacitors, Buhhh it's unlikely..  You could hold your finger there just to make sure it don' happen.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 20:39:03 »
I have a 3d printed delid tool made, I even have the liquid metal.

Actually the 8700k doesn't have top mounted resistors or capacitors, it's just the (rather large) die you risk damaging and I just don't want to risk damaging a $300 processor.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2019, 20:41:14 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 21:00:19 »
we never get 'workplace viruses' cuz we're an IT firm, but we do occasionally have to fight a few with some of our clients.

we have always been victorious...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 21:59:15 »
I have a 3d printed delid tool made, I even have the liquid metal.

Actually the 8700k doesn't have top mounted resistors or capacitors, it's just the (rather large) die you risk damaging and I just don't want to risk damaging a $300 processor.

You can buy another cpu.. How much LIFE do you have left to waste NOT-Experiencing the JOY OF OVERCLOCK.. !!