Author Topic: OG Cherry Tooling  (Read 22975 times)

Offline Carnell Cane

OG Cherry Tooling
« on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 12:21:53 »
Hi!

I've heard rumors(?) about GMK and Gateron PBT, being both made by OG Cherry Tooling - i'm really curious, if it is actually a trustworthy sentence.
If they are, did Cherry sold a section of manufacturer, or they are providing an ODM products?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: OG Cherry Tooling
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 12:40:36 »
GMK has the original cherry ABS tooling

And IIRC BSP had the PBT tooling (EDIT: photekq confirms later in this thread BSP was similar but different not cherry tooling)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 July 2019, 19:34:42 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 15:11:03 »

And IIRC BSP had the PBT tooling

Had the tooling what happen to it? Is it sold off or destroyed?
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 15:32:13 »

I'm pulling a puddsy but I think BSP still makes blanks but they don't do dyesub, you have to get someone else to do that part.

And I don't think their pbt tooling is exactly the same, perhaps it all hasn't survived all these years?? (since I've seen BSP sets with wonky caps before, but pbt seems harder to get right anyway.)

What I want to know is who GMK and BSP make caps for regularly. Like where are these industrial/commercial keyboards using these nice keycaps?

« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2019, 16:05:58 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 21:02:30 »

I'm pulling a puddsy but I think BSP still makes blanks but they don't do dyesub, you have to get someone else to do that part.

And I don't think their pbt tooling is exactly the same, perhaps it all hasn't survived all these years?? (since I've seen BSP sets with wonky caps before, but pbt seems harder to get right anyway.)

What I want to know is who GMK and BSP make caps for regularly. Like where are these industrial/commercial keyboards using these nice keycaps?

not to puddsy your puddsy

bsp stopped making cherry caps a year or two ago

gmk DOES have the OG tooling, it was sold to christoph's father after they decommissioned it, and afaik it has been upgraded over the years

the PBT tooling sees no use at the moment, and there were issues with BSP anyway
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 21:03:15 »

gmk DOES have the OG tooling, it was sold to christoph's father after they decommissioned it, and afaik it has been upgraded over the years

the PBT tooling sees no use at the moment, and there were issues with BSP anyway
Nice :thumb: :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 21:04:21 »

Nice :thumb: :)

-2 points for emoji use
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Riverman

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 11:13:03 »
Does Cherry not make any key caps themselves anymore?  If they do, then they still either have their PBT molds or made new ones, since their light grey keyboards come with PBT key caps.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 16:59:03 »

That is a very good question. You would think the community would have spotted some in the wild by now.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 17:02:50 »

That is a very good question. You would think the community would have spotted some in the wild by now.
I heard SP makes them for secret military projects. :shiftyeyes:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 19:10:07 »

GMK makes POS caps, and BSP is a dutch (i think) company that has rebranded and also makes POS caps in other profiles

cannot for the life of me remember the name of BSP's new name

Does Cherry not make any key caps themselves anymore?  If they do, then they still either have their PBT molds or made new ones, since their light grey keyboards come with PBT key caps.

they do, they are POM lasered

linus took a tour of their factory a few years back

Offline subcat

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 21:06:55 »
cherry still make thin lasered pbt themselves too

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 02:48:13 »

GMK makes POS caps, and BSP is a dutch (i think) company that has rebranded and also makes POS caps in other profiles

Logickeyboard is the new name for BSP post-acquisition.

They don't do PBT dyesubbing anymore. I've requested quotes before and at this point they've thrown out PBT altogether. It's the reason Hammer CRP exists. Because Logickeyboard refused to make blanks for Hammer to later dyesub, like they did when imsto ran the BSP set groupbuys

Spamray pulling a puddsy may as well be my favorite geekhack moment of the week.

Offline woodruff

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 04:52:29 »
Cherry POM keycaps are so good that I've stopped looking for alternatives.
Yes, I hate the lasered lettering, but I've faded and scratched it to make it smooth, and now it feels great.
POM is the best material that I've tried, if it isn't the same for you, it means that you didn't try it long enough.  :)) :))

I've used for a very long time and it doesn't show a little bit of shine.
It doesn't feel dry like pbt.
It sounds great, very similar to ABS, it doesn't have the high pitch of PBT.

It's just perfect.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 05:04:00 »
^^^^ Is Tp body hopping again^^^^^

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 11:08:00 »
Cherry POM keycaps are so good that I've stopped looking for alternatives.
Yes, I hate the lasered lettering, but I've faded and scratched it to make it smooth, and now it feels great.
POM is the best material that I've tried, if it isn't the same for you, it means that you didn't try it long enough.  :)) :))

I've used for a very long time and it doesn't show a little bit of shine.
It doesn't feel dry like pbt.
It sounds great, very similar to ABS, it doesn't have the high pitch of PBT.

It's just perfect.

I'd like some OG Cherry POM blanks, thanks

Offline Carnell Cane

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 16:35:22 »
Hold up.

So we've got BSP that had tools for making keycaps out of PBT, this makes me wonder...
What "BSP" stands for?
Where are "Gateron PBT" in all of this?

Sorry for being intrusive, learning.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 16:42:45 »
Hold up.

So we've got BSP that had tools for making keycaps out of PBT, this makes me wonder...
What "BSP" stands for?
Where are "Gateron PBT" in all of this?

Sorry for being intrusive, learning.

BSP is a Danish company's name (Logickeyboard / BSP Europe). It doesn't stand for anything in particular that I know of.

Gateron PBT (enjoyPBT is normally Gateron PBT) are still produced in Cherry profile, but if you seat them next to OG Cherry, they actually sit a little differently (taller sometimes and recessed stems are different).

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 16:55:22 »
It's a real shame no one can/is using the og cherry pbt tooling to make blanks at least...
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 17:53:45 »

I understand they are supposed to make POS boards. But where are they all? With cherry profile doubleshots??

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 19:01:59 »

I understand they are supposed to make POS boards. But where are they all? With cherry profile doubleshots??

Yes. An example of it is the WEY-Technology terminal.

https://www.gmk-electronic-design.de/en/products#keyboards

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 20:26:04 »
It's a real shame no one can/is using the og cherry pbt tooling to make blanks at least...

they stopped doing it because we stopped paying for it

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 20:55:51 »
This is what I understand so far:
  • Cherry originally made their own keycaps as well as keyboards and switches
  • Cherry sold their PBT tooling to BSP, a Dutch company, who no longer does PBT at all and now sells products branded as Logickeyboard
  • After BSP decommissioned the Cherry tooling, they sold it to one of the GMK founders (?)
  • Gateron makes PBT blanks, which were originally (but not currently) used for EnjoyPBT keycaps; they have their own molds (as do NPKC et al)

Is that right?

Someone on Discord said that you'll see GMK if you go to any office park in Europe. Not sure what exactly they meant but apparently it's pretty common.

Were Cherry-made PBT keycaps ever sold to the enthusiast community?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 21:10:37 »

This is what I understand so far:
  • Cherry originally made their own keycaps as well as keyboards and switches
  • Cherry sold their PBT tooling to BSP, a Dutch company, who no longer does PBT at all and now sells products branded as Logickeyboard
  • After BSP decommissioned the Cherry tooling, they sold it to one of the GMK founders (?)
  • Gateron makes PBT blanks, which were originally (but not currently) used for EnjoyPBT keycaps; they have their own molds (as do NPKC et al)

Is that right?

Someone on Discord said that you'll see GMK if you go to any office park in Europe. Not sure what exactly they meant but apparently it's pretty common.

Were Cherry-made PBT keycaps ever sold to the enthusiast community?

ABS and PBT tooling are two separate things, from my understanding

GMK bought up ABS tooling.

BSP Europe bought up PBT tooling, which is now decommissioned.

So in other words, OG Cherry PBT and BSP sets are dead, other than existing supply.

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 22:07:14 »

Is there an example of an og cherry mold pbt group buy that didn't make it/failed somehow?

Seems like from other commentors above the pbt molds were decommissioned. I wonder if they're around somewhere awaiting to be repaired and a production line started up again.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 22:32:00 »

ABS and PBT are two separate things, from my understanding

Unfortunately if this thread has taught us anything they are the same thing and it's ok to just make things up as we go.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 22:33:11 »

Unfortunately if this thread has taught us anything they are the same thing and it's ok to just make things up as we go.

nice

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 22:34:58 »

nice
Oh and apparently we can't have any iso keycaps in any group buys anymore because gmk used them all up for offices in europe.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 22:40:15 »

nice
Oh and apparently we can't have any iso keycaps in any group buys anymore because gmk used them all up for offices in europe.

Numpads are not allowed either!!!111!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 22:45:11 »

nice

Numpads are not allowed either!!!111!
Exactly, because who in their right mind would ever take the shortcut of typing only a couple digits like 1 or 2 when you can use your keyboard more and type one or two. (In case nobody knows that why in excel you can change cell formats so you don't have to use the number pad for numbers you can use words.)

It's cut and dry. Ten four, over and out.

I've got to be up at zero three thirty so I should go to bed, I made the mistake of checking anything worthwhile had been posted. It hasn't been.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 23:30:38 »

Is there an example of an og cherry mold pbt group buy that didn't make it/failed somehow?

Seems like from other commentors above the pbt molds were decommissioned. I wonder if they're around somewhere awaiting to be repaired and a production line started up again.
Imsto did some BSP group buys. Search and you will find them.

Can anyone confirm the enjoypbt currently does or doesn't use gateron blanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 00:13:33 »

The other day on Discord Zeal said that they hadn't been Gateron for years.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Carnell Cane

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 06:07:46 »
It's getting more and more intresting.
I thought that EnjoyPBT sets are "up to date" made from Gateron PBT keycaps as a foundation.
So, Gateron was never the owner of "Cherry PBT Tooling" - are they making keycaps by themselves?
PBT, Cherry Profile, thickness of 1.5mm - that's quite a keycap.

Following question is, who makes keycaps for ePBT?
"BSP Europe bought up PBT tooling, which is now decommissioned." - Does anyone of you have a PBT set? How's the quality?
NPKC seems to be a fair budget choice, stepping up, we have mentioned ePBT - is there something worth looking besides ePBT in mid-budget range?
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 06:09:34 by Carnell Cane »

Offline t8c

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 07:17:03 »

The other day on Discord Zeal said that they hadn't been Gateron for years.
Anthony also said so in his Hammer CRP unboxing.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/356018228

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 08:43:21 »
It's getting more and more intresting.
I thought that EnjoyPBT sets are "up to date" made from Gateron PBT keycaps as a foundation.
So, Gateron was never the owner of "Cherry PBT Tooling" - are they making keycaps by themselves?
PBT, Cherry Profile, thickness of 1.5mm - that's quite a keycap.

Following question is, who makes keycaps for ePBT?
"BSP Europe bought up PBT tooling, which is now decommissioned." - Does anyone of you have a PBT set? How's the quality?
NPKC seems to be a fair budget choice, stepping up, we have mentioned ePBT - is there something worth looking besides ePBT in mid-budget range?
You can still buy a set made by BSP.

https://www.originativeco.com/products/bsp-classic-beige?variant=359429831

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:38:06 »
is there something worth looking besides ePBT in mid-budget range?

Almost all of the unbranded PBT dye-sub sets on KBDFans, KPRepublic, and various Aliexpress storefronts fall into this category (with generic names like "Dye Sub PBT Cherry 123 Key"). I own several, if you can live with the limited compat they are good budget alternatives to EPBT. The biggest downside is that the modifier legends tend to have bad fonts or typesetting. The finish is also a bit rougher and the corners/edges are less rounded.

I think they're all made by NPKC and another company that's been calling itself Winmix in Western markets (and I have a suspicion that they use NPKC blanks anyway). They all have similar or identical markings on the underside of the keycap. And that "sideways numpad" logo seems to be a Winmix thing. I think it's also the same company that's making the dye-sub PBT for TheKeyCompany -- I asked Jason about it when he was being interviewed on Top Clack or something like that.

The only ones to seriously avoid are the KPRepublic-branded "language" sets (two-tone gray with red sublegends like Hangul, Hebrew, Taiwanese, etc) -- those use terrible quality blanks and feel bad to type on.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:40:01 by tex_live_utility »

Offline Carnell Cane

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 15:17:06 »
I'm really thankful to all of you.
Big thanks to you - tex_live_utility, for confirming me, NPKC seems to be the right budget option, as i said before.

I'm confused  - paying 160$ for a TKL PBT set, even though it's BSP made, appears to be kind of questionable, so to speak.
I would love to read an opinion from long-term holder.

A lot of spheres in keyboards community, are nothing but pumping ballons and hopping on hype-trains, that's why im so demanding.
"Price-quality" value, is a principle.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 18:17:03 »
Big thanks to you - tex_live_utility, for confirming me, NPKC seems to be the right budget option, as i said before.

I'm confused  - paying 160$ for a TKL PBT set, even though it's BSP made, appears to be kind of questionable, so to speak.

A lot of spheres in keyboards community, are nothing but pumping ballons and hopping on hype-trains, that's why im so demanding.

I think when they got them there was the OG factor that they were the real deal. And real cherry dye subs always fetch a hefty price. THey probably paid a fairly decent price with a smallish order. I believe that these were available before the more refined current options. I am thinking EnjoyPBT which is an excellent set IMO. But also not cheap, although way more caps.

Back then they were competing with the like of IMSTO, who was good in his time, but there legends were a process of evolution over time.

Thats just my .02, someone may disagree. But the sets on original tooling always demand a higher price. GMK sets seem to be coming down a little bit, but the quality speaks for itself. ( I am referring to ABS here)

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 13:13:07 »

Well, as much as I can see, the quality of GMK keycaps changed nothing compared to the OG Cherry doubleshots.

Here's an image of my 1996 made Cherry G80-9009HAU

222609-0

They're 23 years old, they look exactly the same as brand new GMK sets. They're expensive, because it's hard to produce them, and their lettering will never degrade at all. My set was scracthed up a little bit, but after washing them, and very gently scraping the keycaps with a sponge, (using the gritty green surface) they still look absolutely fantastic, expect the slight yellowing, and the slight degradation of the color red keycaps. Red dye seems pretty UV unstable.

I see where your money goes, if you buy a set like this, but they're extremely overpriced due to the doubleshot hype. I wouldn't buy a set like this due to the high prices... I got this keyboard for 50$, which was a very nice deal for just the keycaps itself, but I got a nice and rare keyboard with it for that price too. I'm used this keyboard as my daily driver for 3 months, but sadly for the summer, I had to move to a different dorm, where it would occupy all the space on my desk...
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 July 2019, 13:17:38 by varszegimarcell »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 14:36:27 »
BSP tooling is NOT the original Cherry thick PBT tooling. Anybody saying this has no idea what they're talking about. The profile is the same, but the moulds are not the same. Different texture, different undersides, F/J with nipples only, no spacebar and the right shift is short, thin and bendy.

As far as we know, the original Cherry thick PBT tooling was not sold on to any other company (at least, not one that still exists today). GMK doubleshots are the only keycaps made today that use original Cherry tooling.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 July 2019, 14:37:58 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 14:58:51 »
Examples of GMK boards would be WEYTEC & Siemens Unity 2.

The most well known and common keyboard which has BSP keycaps are the Desko keyboards. Desko RGBs were made by BSP along with the other dyesubbed keycaps on those boards.
github

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 18:07:37 »

BSP tooling is NOT the original Cherry thick PBT tooling. Anybody saying this has no idea what they're talking about. The profile is the same, but the moulds are not the same. Different texture, different undersides, F/J with nipples only, no spacebar and the right shift is short, thin and bendy.

As far as we know, the original Cherry thick PBT tooling was not sold on to any other company (at least, not one that still exists today). GMK doubleshots are the only keycaps made today that use original Cherry tooling.

I'm sorry for spreading bad info. You're right. Although the multiple BSP sets I've had weren't that bad, re: right Shift.

Ne Cherry tooling avail :pepehands:

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 18:47:25 »

The most well known and common keyboard which has BSP keycaps are the Desko keyboards. Desko RGBs were made by BSP along with the other dyesubbed keycaps on those boards.

I spotted some Desko boards at the Charleston Airport in SC last month. Thought I would share that lol.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 19:29:19 »

I spotted some Desko boards at the Charleston Airport in SC last month. Thought I would share that lol.

They indeed are everywhere... now the question is whether we can get them... :cool:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 19:33:38 »
I'm sorry for spreading bad info. You're right. Although the multiple BSP sets I've had weren't that bad, re: right Shift.

The right shift isn't too severe, it's just one of those things that becomes aggravating once you've noticed it (for me anyway). BSP right shift is about 50.3mm long, OG dyesub is about 51.2mm long. Small difference, but the 0.45mm deficit on each side is definitely noticeable and annoying. OG dyesub right shift is 1.5mm thick, BSP is 1.25mm - nothing huge there. It's the bendiness of the top surface when compared to other BSP caps that I notice the most though..

It's been a while since I had a full BSP set. My main complaints were texture and the nipple F/Js.
github

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 19:35:52 »

The right shift isn't too severe, it's just one of those things that becomes aggravating once you've noticed it (for me anyway). BSP right shift is about 50.3mm long, OG dyesub is about 51.2mm long. Small difference, but the 0.45mm deficit on each side is definitely noticeable and annoying. OG dyesub right shift is 1.5mm thick, BSP is 1.25mm - nothing huge there. It's the bendiness of the top surface when compared to other BSP caps that I notice the most though..

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It's been a while since I had a full BSP set. My main complaints were texture and the nipple F/Js.

Scoops for life!

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 07:30:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hmmm, looks interesting. The moulding mark looks quite different, and the BSP shift has thinner walls. Maybe, due to the thinner walls, BSP keycaps shrink more when they cool down. (I've never had a PBT keycap set withouth slight warpage, due to PBT shinks when cools down after the moulding process. That's why PBT spacebars are uncommon.)

My guess is, maybe they using the same tooling for the dye-sublimation process, but at least for the keycap moulds, they use somewhat different tooling for sure.

Can someone show the lettering on a BSP dye-sub, and an OG Cherry dye-sub?

GMK and OG Cherry ABS double-shots otherwise are 1:1 indentical for sure.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 July 2019, 07:38:12 by varszegimarcell »

Offline Prelim

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 09:30:41 »
I think Cherry still produces ABS doubleshots in their China facility (original tooling), can some asian fellows confirm this please?
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Myoth

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 10:16:47 »
I'm fairly sure they just commission GMK

Offline Prelim

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 03:39:36 »
btw I'm referring to the limited edition models that were only available in the asian market some years ago.
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau