Author Topic: [GB] SA Symbiosis R2 - Finished  (Read 257075 times)

Offline bsvercl

apparently the ergodox and colevark kits sold out in on kono, is there any way to still buy them? this is probably one of my favorite sets but I might have waited too much to buy it...

Same here! I am in love with this set!

Offline hhkbp2

apparently the ergodox and colevark kits sold out in on kono, is there any way to still buy them? this is probably one of my favorite sets but I might have waited too much to buy it...

These kits seem to be sold out too in other vendors' websites. I guess you could keep an eye on kono to check whether there is any more available after production/delivery, or check the mech market.

Offline Hotsauce

Hi all. As a blanket response, yes this is still a thing, but the latest is SP has come up against some molding issues:

We have run into a molding issue with the tooling and at this time our lead time on completion for SA-P is uncertain.

We are again at the mercy of the Plastic Gods. I'd like to get a lead time fixed so this doesn't become another keyboard blackhole of uncertainty so no GB until we have a firm target. My black little hart wouldn't be able to take supply issues further down the line, and I'm sure none of you want any GB drams either.

Perhaps a little game of I Spy? Alternatively maybe now is the time to get done that thing you've been putting off doing? I'm off to find my passport which my past self put in a safe place that in theory my future self would either know or be able to deduce so v :)) v

I saw this posted in the Glow IC thread. Will this affect the buy?

Offline fireworm

Hi all. As a blanket response, yes this is still a thing, but the latest is SP has come up against some molding issues:

We have run into a molding issue with the tooling and at this time our lead time on completion for SA-P is uncertain.

We are again at the mercy of the Plastic Gods. I'd like to get a lead time fixed so this doesn't become another keyboard blackhole of uncertainty so no GB until we have a firm target. My black little hart wouldn't be able to take supply issues further down the line, and I'm sure none of you want any GB drams either.

Perhaps a little game of I Spy? Alternatively maybe now is the time to get done that thing you've been putting off doing? I'm off to find my passport which my past self put in a safe place that in theory my future self would either know or be able to deduce so v :)) v

Not OP, but unlikely. SA Glow is PBT, this is ABS. They use different tooling entirely, IIRC.

Offline hhkbp2

Not OP, but unlikely. SA Glow is PBT, this is ABS. They use different tooling entirely, IIRC.

It's not likely for SA because the production line for SA has run so many years. I don't think there is any molding issue unless SP tells me that directly for this GB.

Offline kmicu

Same here. So when the next group buy? 😺

BTW. Are we doomed to always use USA based Signature Plastics and wait another years for availability of this wonderful set?
Could we get a worse quality set from a Shenzhen shop in the meantime?

Offline hhkbp2

Same here. So when the next group buy?

BTW. Are we doomed to always use USA based Signature Plastics and wait another years for availability of this wonderful set?
Could we get a worse quality set from a Shenzhen shop in the meantime?

There is no plan for the next. You know, the last is not delivered yet.

There exists Maxkey set of this blue/grey/cream theme. It's not related to this GB, but you could buy that if you want. Because nowadays only SP is able to make it in high quality with proper cost for so many customized legends. We have to stick to SP even though it has a long waiting queue and charges high prices. The same thing holds for GMK.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2019, 15:43:14 by hhkbp2 »

Offline AaronR

is there any eta on new legend samples?

Offline hhkbp2

is there any eta on new legend samples?

SP said samples were ready. Not sure whether they sent it out yet. Please wait for update.

Offline kmicu

There is no plan for the next.
Thank you so much for the answer. I’m new to this and wanted to finally buy key caps for my birthday in September
(I keep repeating to myself that once in my lifetime I could justify spending ~200 Euro for handful of plastic blocks 😹).
As a daily lisper (and Colemak(Mod DH) user) I was extremely happy to find your beautiful Space-Cadet-like set with Colevrak option.
But hey, everything, everywhere is sold out; tough love.

I’ll try to find something else with a shipping date near September.

Once more, thank you for blessing us with a such beautiful set. Amazing work. 🙇

Offline WeathermanKarlos

Probably a little late for this, but I just noticed that the Extension kit has row 2 Page Up and row 3 Page Down, but no row 4 End for 65 percent boards. Seems a little strange, is that intentional?

Offline hhkbp2

Probably a little late for this, but I just noticed that the Extension kit has row 2 Page Up and row 3 Page Down, but no row 4 End for 65 percent boards. Seems a little strange, is that intentional?

To match many layouts, there should be pairs with row 3 HOME and row 4 END, row 3 INS and row 4 DEL. So that along with mod kit you got the Nav keys flowing down r1/r2/r3/r4, but these are so many keys. During the IC phase, I tried to reduce the price and removed some of them. No complain or resistance, so that it's what it's now.

Offline atxk

New to buying keycaps, but how do pre-orders work regarding this set? Most of the kits still seems available on zFrontier, so I just want to check if I can still grab this set for my new build :p

Offline hhkbp2

New to buying keycaps, but how do pre-orders work regarding this set? Most of the kits still seems available on zFrontier, so I just want to check if I can still grab this set for my new build :p

Pre-order means the vendors ordered a few extra after the GB closed, and you could buy as long as they're not sold out. Your order will be shipped after vendors receive productions from SP, just like what will happen for the buyers who joined the GB.

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2019, 14:52:45 by hhkbp2 »

Offline atxk

Pre-order means the vendors ordered a few extra after the GB closed, and you could buy as long as they're not sold out. Your order will be shipped after vendors receive productions from SP, just like what will happen for the buyers who joined the GB.

oh damn thanks for the quick reply! I'll hop on the symbiosis train then :>

Offline Hotsauce

"We have order acknowledgement from Signature Plastics. We received our second set of production samples and are reviewing them with the designer. Production slot is still locked in."

Any pictures?

Offline hhkbp2

"We have order acknowledgement from Signature Plastics. We received our second set of production samples and are reviewing them with the designer. Production slot is still locked in."

Any pictures?

I have not seen any picture yet. Will let you know if there is any update or picture.  :)

Offline bardomudo

Any pictures?

I have not seen any picture yet. Will let you know if there is any update or picture.  :)

Any updates? Has Kono reached out to you yet? It's been a week since they said they received the new samples.

Offline hhkbp2

Any updates? Has Kono reached out to you yet? It's been a week since they said they received the new samples.

Nope. Kono said they would look after it about one week ago. I would like to sit tight rather than to keep pushing them once each week. Please wait with patience. I will let you know if there is any update.

Offline nappis

Last time Kono received samples they added pictures on their web site. Now they are not updating the site and they are keeping designer in the dark. I hope the lack of update does not mean that the new samples are ****e.

Offline hhkbp2

Last time Kono received samples they added pictures on their web site. Now they are not updating the site and they are keeping designer in the dark. I hope the lack of update does not mean that the new samples are ****e.

I guess probably they are just busy with something else.  :))

Offline mimalik

I ordered and received SA Troubled Minds and GMK Calm Depths, they may not be the quickest for the updates, but they come through, in my exp so far; so as OP said, keep calm n sit tight.

Offline bardomudo

I contacted Kono and politely asked about the new samples image. They said they sent it to hhkbp2 and would update the site soon with it, but in case people here want to check it out earlier, they sent it to me as well and I'm posting them.

I resized and put them side-by-side with the old/first samples so we can better see the changes in proportion. At least to me, they look great now.

Offline gbchk

Looks way better. Did they change the color as well? The old image looks like the standard R5/R6 grey color, while the new looks like the Cadet grey.

Offline bardomudo

Looks way better. Did they change the color as well? The old image looks like the standard R5/R6 grey color, while the new looks like the Cadet grey.

They could have changed the color, but as a former professional photographer with 10 years of experience, I can assure you the difference in color we see could also have been easily caused by difference in white balance and lighting.

The first/old image looks warmer to me, with a bit of red in there, while the second looks cooler. That's often how grey reacts with small changes in white balance. Judging by the white, the second/newer image looks more accurate to my eyes and my calibrated monitor.

Offline DukeEsquire

Awesome. Love the new samples!

Offline buzzking00

I contacted Kono and politely asked about the new samples image. They said they sent it to hhkbp2 and would update the site soon with it, but in case people here want to check it out earlier, they sent it to me as well and I'm posting them.

I resized and put them side-by-side with the old/first samples so we can better see the changes in proportion. At least to me, they look great now.

Show Image

Thanks for the picture :)

Can't wait to get my set!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
Would anyone here be prepared to sell me their UK RETURN key and if possible an ESC key in the yellow?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Hotsauce

Those samples are HOT! :eek: I like the way things are going.  :p

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
Would anyone here be prepared to sell me their UK RETURN key and if possible an ESC key in the yellow?

In the worst case, kits that have them are still available on the Kono site.

Offline hhkbp2

Show Image

Thanks. I'm reviewing these samples with Kono these two days. Some other photos were taken:

These legends on latest samples were improved. The sizes of symbols were enlarged, compared to previous run of samples. They are slightly larger than symbols of number row, but not too large to be uncoordinated, which is true to the artworks. Line weights are big enough and positions are consistent. These samples look nice.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 June 2019, 00:01:43 by hhkbp2 »

Offline hhkbp2

They could have changed the color, but as a former professional photographer with 10 years of experience, I can assure you the difference in color we see could also have been easily caused by difference in white balance and lighting.

The first/old image looks warmer to me, with a bit of red in there, while the second looks cooler. That's often how grey reacts with small changes in white balance. Judging by the white, the second/newer image looks more accurate to my eyes and my calibrated monitor.

You're right. Usually it's not easy to present colors precisely via pictures. The colors of both runs of samples were the same.

Offline Taques

Endgame set confirmed, these look freakin' amazing.

Offline hhkbp2

SP told me that the artwork of novelties "symbiosis" that I gave them before was too big to fit a 2.25u legendable area. I would make it smaller to fit and change the legend to "symbolics" so that it looks better even when becoming smaller. It's a minor change but I would like to let you guys know.

SP is cutting the legends for the production. They don't have the specific date to start the production yet but it's coming closer. It's a long time for this run but the finishing line is in sight. Cheers!

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2019, 14:58:56 by hhkbp2 »

Offline bardomudo

SP told me that the artwork of novelties "symbiosis" that I gave them before was too big to fit a 2.25u legendable area. I would make it smaller to fit and change the legend to "symbolics" so that it looks better even when becoming smaller. It's a minor change but I would like to let you guys know.

Show Image

SP is cutting the legends for the production. They don't have the specific date to start the production yet but it's coming closer. It's a long time for this run but the finishing line is in sight. Cheers!

I'd take the Symbolics over the Symbiosis legend any day. Just my 2c.

Offline mimalik

kono's portal is giving out 502 error, do they not exist anymore? Sincerely hope that its a technical error. too invested in this set.

Offline hhkbp2

kono's portal is giving out 502 error, do they not exist anymore? Sincerely hope that its a technical error. too invested in this set.

I guess so. You know, it's too silly for Kono to vanish now before SP starts production and delivers after paying the money for the order and doing all these sample runs.  :))

Offline cijanzen

Shopify sites are down right now

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Is that SA Hacker something you gonna run soon?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key

I also am watching that very closely.  Looks great I think.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline hhkbp2

I also am watching that very closely.  Looks great I think.

Thanks. I did many things for it but I'm still hesitant about whether/when/how to run it. No specific schedule yet.

Offline bardomudo

Do you think the September timeline Kono still lists as locked in will be indeed come to fruition?

Offline jimboytacos

I'd like to know this as well. KONO's updates states that this set will be shipping in September. That means this set must be in production or nearing production soon I'm order to hit they deadline?

Offline hhkbp2

Do you think the September timeline Kono still lists as locked in will be indeed come to fruition?

I'd like to know this as well. KONO's updates states that this set will be shipping in September. That means this set must be in production or nearing production soon I'm order to hit they deadline?

I still need some time to tune the alphas legends. The last cut of alphas legends looked probably too big when paired with the whole number row together, and I would like to give another try on using the standard sizes for these legends. This was not going on very well. It needs communication and cooperation between me, Kono and SP, like it used to. But I have not heard from Kono for a while. Have no idea what kept they so busy that they did not even have the time to take a look at the emails and reply.

But in the other hand, SP told me that some other kits had been in production. They were quite rushed to do the production run while I was still verifying and tuning the legends.

I got no much info about the whole plan of SP production dates and Kono delivery dates, etc. Kono should be in charge of all these and do the coordination but Kono was absent these days. It's hard for me to estimate the actual shipping date under current situation. I suspect there will be delay but I don't have a clear idea of that. Sorry I don't have the answers of your questions for now.

Offline yap68

Sounds bad, man.

Will Kono become another zFrontier?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2019, 05:37:43 by yap68 »

Offline cijanzen

I still need some time to tune the alphas legends. The last cut of alphas legends looked probably too big when paired with the whole number row together, and I would like to give another try on using the standard sizes for these legends. This was not going on very well. It needs communication and cooperation between me, Kono and SP, like it used to. But I have not heard from Kono for a while. Have no idea what kept they so busy that they did not even have the time to take a look at the emails and reply.

But in the other hand, SP told me that some other kits had been in production. They were quite rushed to do the production run while I was still verifying and tuning the legends.

I got no much info about the whole plan of SP production dates and Kono delivery dates, etc. Kono should be in charge of all these and do the coordination but Kono was absent these days. It's hard for me to estimate the actual shipping date under current situation. I suspect there will be delay but I don't have a clear idea of that. Sorry I don't have the answers of your questions for now.

Thanks for the clarity and honesty, that goes a long ways, and at least you’re communicating even if Kono is not!

Offline nappis

I still need some time to tune the alphas legends. The last cut of alphas legends looked probably too big when paired with the whole number row together, and I would like to give another try on using the standard sizes for these legends.
Standard SP SA R1 number row legends were too small next to Symbiosis 2.0 second iteration R2 alphas? V2 alphas looked good to me. How can you have too big legends on SA caps...?  :))

7bit legends are really pushing the cap boundaries and they look great!

Offline Hotsauce

From what I understand 7bit used his own, or another font for certain legends?

Offline OnceS

Is this SA Space Cadet with a new name or have I mistaken?
E6 | Kira60 | R60 | HHKB Carbon
-------------------------------------
IG: https://www.instagram.com/onces1314/

Offline fireworm

Is this SA Space Cadet with a new name or have I mistaken?
If you are talking about GMK Space Cadet, but in SA profile, no. That is Oblotzky's  creation. He has minimal, or no ties with this keyset.

This is Symbiosis R2, a play on "Symbolics", the manufacturer name of that Space Cadet keyboard.