Author Topic: Got my first mech keeb!  (Read 1934 times)

Offline NekoTaks

Got my first mech keeb!
« on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 04:57:12 »
Received my Qisan Magicforce68 from Massdrop!

This keeb is my first true mechanical keyboard, and my eyes have now been totally opened to the feel of true mechanical switches. I got this board just to hold me over until I finish building my COD67 board.

202248-0

I bought it in White on Silver with white backlighting through the Massdrop drop. The keycaps are fairly thin for my tastes, but I love the texture on them. The legend isn't my thing though, so I'l l be looking at other options for keycaps for this board.

202250-1

Everything about this board is so pleasing. Even the board's name is really nice carved into the plate.

202252-2

During my research for parts for my COD67 build, I figured out that I really like tactile switches, so I ordered it with Gateron Browns for the same smooth action as ZealPC's Zilent blues I bought for my COD67. The Browns are definitely much louder than I thought they would be, but they still feel really nice to type on. The bump isn't as significant as on the Zilents, though it's still noticeable enough to me to be satisfying as I type.

The stabs are actually quite rattly too, so I might try to replace them with the nicer stabs I got from ZealPC that were the wrong mounting style for my COD67. Lube might help the stock ones a little bit first, but since I already have the ZealPC ones clipped and assembled, I may try a stab swap down the line anyways.

202254-3

I feel the only things I have planned for this board are

- New keycaps with a nicer legend (already browsing AliExpress for an inexpensive set)
- Stiffer springs for the spacebar, capslock, and shift keys (I feel the spacebar is too light for my liking, and the shift and capslock keys are also too light for my typing style)
- Lube ALL the switches and stabilizer wires and liquid latex ALL the sliders (in the hopes of making them almost as quiet as the Zilents going into my COD67, anyways)
- Possibly do a stab swap (if the lubed stock stabs aren't nice enough for me)
- Sleeved shorter-length custom USB cable (because the stock cable is really long and I don't use this keyboard much further than a few inches away from my laptop at most)

Otherwise, I love this board. The key feel is really nice, and is exceptionally well-built for a $44 keyboard.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: Got my first mech keeb!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 05:03:43 »
Welcome to the obsession.  :eek:

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 08:04:02 »
Now you just need, new caps, artisans, a DSLR, other new boards, an HHKB, maybe some weird ergo boards, then you're all set!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 08:48:34 »
Now you just need, new caps, artisans, a DSLR, other new boards, an HHKB, maybe some weird ergo boards, then you're all set!

Also new Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 09:05:21 »

Gief Threadripper!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 09:25:31 »
I read Threadripper as "The Dripper"

Offline Merranza

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 10:27:34 »
Received my Qisan Magicforce68 from Massdrop!

This keeb is my first true mechanical keyboard, and my eyes have now been totally opened to the feel of true mechanical switches. I got this board just to hold me over until I finish building my COD67 board.

(Attachment Link)

I bought it in White on Silver with white backlighting through the Massdrop drop. The keycaps are fairly thin for my tastes, but I love the texture on them. The legend isn't my thing though, so I'l l be looking at other options for keycaps for this board.

(Attachment Link)

Everything about this board is so pleasing. Even the board's name is really nice carved into the plate.

(Attachment Link)

During my research for parts for my COD67 build, I figured out that I really like tactile switches, so I ordered it with Gateron Browns for the same smooth action as ZealPC's Zilent blues I bought for my COD67. The Browns are definitely much louder than I thought they would be, but they still feel really nice to type on. The bump isn't as significant as on the Zilents, though it's still noticeable enough to me to be satisfying as I type.

The stabs are actually quite rattly too, so I might try to replace them with the nicer stabs I got from ZealPC that were the wrong mounting style for my COD67. Lube might help the stock ones a little bit first, but since I already have the ZealPC ones clipped and assembled, I may try a stab swap down the line anyways.

(Attachment Link)

I feel the only things I have planned for this board are

- New keycaps with a nicer legend (already browsing AliExpress for an inexpensive set)
- Stiffer springs for the spacebar, capslock, and shift keys (I feel the spacebar is too light for my liking, and the shift and capslock keys are also too light for my typing style)
- Lube ALL the switches and stabilizer wires and liquid latex ALL the sliders (in the hopes of making them almost as quiet as the Zilents going into my COD67, anyways)
- Possibly do a stab swap (if the lubed stock stabs aren't nice enough for me)
- Sleeved shorter-length custom USB cable (because the stock cable is really long and I don't use this keyboard much further than a few inches away from my laptop at most)

Otherwise, I love this board. The key feel is really nice, and is exceptionally well-built for a $44 keyboard.

Oh nice keyboard! I'll be joining you soon with my magicforce 68 in black with gateron clears :D

I'm curious, were you part of last drop (July?)

Offline kriminal

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 15:18:32 »
Tsk tsk tsk tsk welcome to the world where you actually ponder spending 50+ on one artisan keycap.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline NekoTaks

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 15:30:55 »
Welcome to the obsession.  :eek:

This is a rabbit hole I feel I will never return from, and I already love it :D

I already have a Hammer Fidget Spinner cap, a 2015 Nikon D3400, and my ongoing COD67 project, am I off to a good start?  :))

And yes, a Threadripper build! I do have a Ryzen 5 build planned out though, but that's not happening till the end of the year since I have other financial priorities ahead of me right now.

Oh nice keyboard! I'll be joining you soon with my magicforce 68 in black with gateron clears :D

I'm curious, were you part of last drop (July?)

Ayup! I was part of the July drop. I was honestly surprised it arrived as quickly as it did! I was already expecting to have to wait another week to enjoy this board because I was gonna be away from my house over the weekend, but I'm so happy I got to play with it for a lil while before having to leave for my trip.

Tsk tsk tsk tsk welcome to the world where you actually ponder spending 50+ on one artisan keycap.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

. . .no lie, I honestly found a few caps that would've set me back a good Benjamin or two already.

But they look so good and look like they'd need a loving home being mashed on~

Offline ag36

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 10:34:52 »
I think the pbt dsa keycaps are pretty nice, alternatively taihao pbt are also cheap and good.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1