Author Topic: Resource for keyboard vector graphics/diagrams?  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Coreda

Resource for keyboard vector graphics/diagrams?
« on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:30:29 »
Was after vectors of a stock TKL. Saw jacobolus post this raster image in another thread and something like it would be perfect, as I was looking for a graphic with both the outer edges and face/tops of the caps (rather than just a single outline of the keys).

Offline jacobolus

Re: Resource for keyboard vector graphics/diagrams?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:15:27 »
I don’t quite understand. Can you start over and explain precisely what you want, and what your use case is?
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:17:05 by jacobolus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:17:18 »
Still in need of some extra-sensorial abilities to decipher what the actual OP's needs.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:22:47 »
Looking for vectors (SVGs, etc) of TKL keyboards, such as seen in the OP. Whether just the outline as shown below or with color like the OP graphic. The use is for illustration purposes.

By 'outer edges and face/tops of the caps' I mean two elements as seen above. Many diagrams of keyboards I've found only are outlines of the keys, such as below, which aren't what I'm looking for.

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:27:17 by Coreda »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:25:07 »
Yeah, I’m still totally confused. :-)

You want an SVG of the keycap outlines for a TKL keyboard, with no legends printed on them?

Or you want the SVG of the keycap outlines for a 60% with bigass enter and arabic on it?

Or...

You want just keycap outside/top outlines, or you want some shading?

If you’re trying to make something like that arabic keyboard diagram you posted, just the shapes (ignoring the letters inside) are pretty trivial to make in Illustrator / Inkscape / etc.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:27:16 by jacobolus »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:30:04 »
Yeah, I’m still totally confused. :-)

You want an SVG of the keycap outlines for a TKL keyboard, with no legends printed on them?

Or you want the SVG of the keycap outlines for a 60% with bigass enter and arabic on it?

Or...

You want just keycap outside/top outlines, or you want some shading?

If you’re trying to make something like that arabic keyboard diagram you posted, just the shapes (ignoring the letters inside) are pretty trivial to make in Illustrator / Inkscape / etc.

I'm looking for the layout exactly as in the OP, with the keycap characters, whether shaded or in outline, as a vector. Hope that clarifies it some.

Not in Arabic :P that was only to show what a wireframe would look like without the shading, but doesn't represent the layout or legends I was wanting.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:31:58 by Coreda »

Offline pnutster

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:33:34 »
Hi,

I believe WASD Keyboards have some layout files. http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/portal/articles/1380026-layout-template-files Best used with Inkscape application: https://inkscape.org/en/

As the screenshot shows, these files show inner and outer edges of keys. Inner edges is represented by the "key grids" layer. And can easily be turned on/off.

For TKL, I would say, easy to just delete the keys from the template.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:45:03 by pnutster »
Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline Coreda

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:47:50 »
Hi,

I believe WASD Keyboards have some layout files. http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/portal/articles/1380026-layout-template-files Best used with Inkscape application: https://inkscape.org/en/

Thanks  :) Keys are a bit too far apart though. Otherwise fairly close to what I'm looking for.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 18:53:46 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g389pp0620x57pc/helvetica-tkl.svg?dl=1

I didn’t put any substantial amount of work into the legends here. Many of the glyphs, especially for symbol keys, kinda suck. But maybe it’ll suit your purpose.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 22:39:58 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g389pp0620x57pc/helvetica-tkl.svg?dl=1

I didn’t put any substantial amount of work into the legends here. Many of the glyphs, especially for symbol keys, kinda suck. But maybe it’ll suit your purpose.

Dude, dude, you're a saint. This is incredible and just what I was looking for.

Thanks so much!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 01:35:35 »
What are you planning to do with it?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 04:46:03 »
Should this information be archived in the existing CAD thread?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Coreda

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 03:06:03 »
What are you planning to do with it?

Possible use for a topic. Needed some flexibility in the asset to see what may look good.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 05:59:39 »
Possible use for a topic.
I have no idea what this means. :-)