Author Topic: Should I keep F row or hide it under function layer?  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Cerber4444

Should I keep F row or hide it under function layer?
« on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 04:37:00 »
 Hello people! I started my first custom keyboard project recently and now on the designing step, while I wait all of parts to arrive (it will take a long time due to where I live  :( )
 So, I inspired by the Moonlander and Ergodox Infinity keyboards, now designing combination of two. So I asked myself- should I keep F buttons on the top, or it worth to get rid of it and learn to work with function layer?
Looking forward to know your opinions and experience.

Here is how the design is going now:

It drawn pretty simplistic and sketchy, because its just for me to understand how to draw a blueprints for CNC plates. Its inspired by old school cyberpunk industrial style.
 To give you a close vibes it will have, here is the back cover of my Ghost in the Shell book:

Keyboard will be similar, but with silver aluminum instead of black. Also will have transparent bottom, to show internals (will solder it nicely, so it will look good, I hope) And it will stand on aluminum plates.

Hope it was interesting to you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2021, 05:22:18 by Cerber4444 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Should I keep F row or hide it under function layer?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 05:29:49 »
Whether or not to have extra keys is up to the user - how often do you use F row randomly?  If you only use them while your hands are in typing position it is just as quick to hold an FN to access them on a layer as it is to stretch to another row, but if you want to press them with the other hand on your mouse that wont work.

With the space saved having no F row you could have a bigger border for the oversized screws and more area for the "yellow stripe" effect to show.

Is the left section attached or separate?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Cerber4444

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:03:45 »
Whether or not to have extra keys is up to the user - how often do you use F row randomly?  If you only use them while your hands are in typing position it is just as quick to hold an FN to access them on a layer as it is to stretch to another row, but if you want to press them with the other hand on your mouse that wont work.

With the space saved having no F row you could have a bigger border for the oversized screws and more area for the "yellow stripe" effect to show.

Is the left section attached or separate?

Yes, its separate. Will serve as base with hinge for tilting the rest of keyboard.
Like this:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:21:42 »
Adjustable tenting with chunky industrial looking hinges? Nice idea, not sure it works though.  I think as you raise the middle the thumb section will be pulled towards the left side so it wont slide along the floor plate so you might have to decide on an angle and have fake hinges to look good.  But then it wont go flat to fit in a bag...

What's the plan for the toggle switches?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iaji

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:36:47 »
depends on what kind of niche you want to sell it to. you should do a proper market survey to, say, CAD engineer programmer, and/or clerk to get a better idea. unless you make keyboard for your own use-case, doing it like this is like shooting in the dark.

and to answer you question, i personally use F keys really rare. at most once or twice a day. so i put it behind some layers. and to give some context, i work as a computer dude in an IT company and write program once every other day.

Offline Cerber4444

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:51:38 »
Adjustable tenting with chunky industrial looking hinges? Nice idea, not sure it works though.  I think as you raise the middle the thumb section will be pulled towards the left side so it wont slide along the floor plate so you might have to decide on an angle and have fake hinges to look good.  But then it wont go flat to fit in a bag...

I think, I can figure this issue out, so it can tent properly.
Plan for those switches is to lock buttons like ctrl, shift and alt. And one to lock the function layer. I do it because I'm 3D freelancer, and work a lot with 3Ds max. Sometimes there you need to hold these buttons for  a long time, so I will put those switches to work one hand on the mouse only. That's the plan.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:59:45 by Cerber4444 »

Offline Cerber4444

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:57:15 »
depends on what kind of niche you want to sell it to. you should do a proper market survey to, say, CAD engineer programmer, and/or clerk to get a better idea. unless you make keyboard for your own use-case, doing it like this is like shooting in the dark.

and to answer you question, i personally use F keys really rare. at most once or twice a day. so i put it behind some layers. and to give some context, i work as a computer dude in an IT company and write program once every other day.

I'm making it for my self, because I work a lot, and my wrist started to hurt after long sessions of working. And I'm working as 3D freelancer. Your reply reminded me, that sometimes I bind the shortcuts on F row, because programs I work in usually by default bind almost all of the letters and numbers. So I'll keep them, I think.

Offline Cerber4444

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 07:14:09 »

I think, I can figure this issue out, so it can tent properly.
Plan for those switches is to lock buttons like ctrl, shift and alt. And one to lock the function layer. I do it because I'm 3D freelancer, and work a lot with 3Ds max. Sometimes there you need to hold these buttons for  a long time, so I will put those switches to work one hand on the mouse only. That's the plan.

Also, checkout keycaps I'm planning to put in this keyboard: