Author Topic: isometria75 - An Open Source 75% wired/wireless keyboard  (Read 49143 times)

Offline ebastler

isometria75 - An Open Source 75% wired/wireless keyboard
« on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 08:54:34 »
Hello!

I will present you my current project - isometria75.
After getting into the keyboard-world (thanks SoraNoTenshi and elmo for making me discover yet another money-hungry hobby  :'() I have been looking at groupbuys and finished designs, trying to figure out what I wanna end up with as a first keeb. I did not want to sacrifice my number row, I did not want to keep a full TKL board since those wasted too much space, and I did not want a 75% that has all keys mashed into one huge block. So, the only real option was a 75% board with separators, and I fell in love with the layout of the Evolv.

So I set out to design my first custom keeb from scratch - and after multiple iterations, design changes and a lot of help (most importantly, the MechKeys and Mechanische Tastaturen Deutschland Discord servers, as well as ai03's tutorial) as well as criticism and design ideas (Thanks Propagandalf - you were essential for the keeb in order to look the way it does today) I ended up with the status quo - case design is almost finalized, PCB prototypes are ordered. So I thought, I'd take a leap and present it here to see what you guys think of it.

But let's start with a little introduction which I will simply copy from my github repo:
The name isometria75 has it's origin in the greek noun ἰσομετρία (in latin letters: isometria), meaning "equality of measure" [1]. This word ended up being included in various languages, among them english (isometric), with the same meaning. I chose it for two reasons - because this keyboard is only available in an ISO layout (sorry ANSI users - for once it is ne ANSI avail), but also, because I paid attention to only use u/4 spaces throughout my board. You will have a hard time finding any distance on it that's not a multiple of 4.75 mm.
It is a keyboard that has been designed to be a single-layout German ISO board. There is so many beautiful ANSI boards, so I decided not to make compromises in order to get it ANSI compatible.
It features an integrated plate with 6.8° typing angle (the exact angle was chosen because it results in nice steps in the bottom assembly), 82 single-color 3mm backlight LEDs (dimmable as a group) and 17 SK6812 Mini for underglow.
There's a rotary encoder in the top right corner, and it is wireless-ready by connecting a Bluetooth module over SPI and using an alternative USB-C daughterboard which implements battery management.

EDIT: Almost forgot the crazyest feature - I reserved space for some cheap Aliexpress QI receiver in the bottom assembly, allowing me to put a QI charger below the deskmat and use the keyboard wirelessly without recharging - similar to Logitechs Powerplay wireless mice. I have yet to see if/how well that will work out, though!

The top shell is only using u/4 (and some u/2) distances for delimiters and borders, and I decided to stick to u/8 steps for the bottom. Everything is machinable on a 3 axis CNC mill with a single 3 mm tool (and a 45° chamfer-milling-tool). As you can see, it was created to be rather cheap and easy to machine, while still featuring a sleek premium-look. Up to 6 ~45g weights can be added to the bottom, resulting in roughly 1 kg of weight for the entire board in a POM top + PC bottom configuration.

I think that's enough (or too much? lol) text for now - I will let renders speak for themselves. Feel free to ask questions or share improvement-ideas! And please, do not find any errors in my PCB layout now that I have ordered the prototpyes, or  I will seriously hate myself.

Github repo for the keeb (no case files yet, just PCB): https://github.com/ebastler/isometria-75
Github repo for the usb-daughterboards: https://github.com/ebastler/unified-usb-pcb

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2020, 08:59:43 by ebastler »

Offline logo4poop

• Talk to me on discord @logoooo
Re: isometria75 - An Open Source 75% wired/wireless keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:05:13 »
iso worst layout:tm:
LCK75 so lit

Offline anna328p

• Formerly 'dkudriavtsev'
    • Inexpensive Computers
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:33:26 »
iso ;-;

Offline jani80k

• In the hobby for a good time.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 11:16:13 »

Iso is not a layout in the sense of rearranged ANSI. It adds additional keys which enable special chatacters from european languages. Basically each Country has their specific ISO layout. In Germany we have öäü and ß which we need on first layer. Poland have their own different ones, Portugal etc.

Offline logo4poop

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 11:55:31 »

Iso is not a layout in the sense of rearranged ANSI. It adds additional keys which enable special chatacters from european languages. Basically each Country has their specific ISO layout. In Germany we have öäü and ß which we need on first layer. Poland have their own different ones, Portugal etc.
Lmao I know, it was a joke. When he linked it in discord he said "Let's see how badly I will be flamed for making it ISO only :skeet:".
LCK75 so lit

Offline maschine

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 12:45:24 »
Looks great! Reminds me of Sat75 and Evolv of course but everything that's 75 with little bezel and a knob will categorized as those I guess - it's not a bad thing at all because I really like this look. Glad that someone chose to go ISO only:) Looking forward!

Stay safe and all the best from another Berliner.

Offline pngu

• send noots

Offline mongg

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 10:49:49 »
Sad to see only ISO, looks awesome:(

Offline equalunique

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 11:46:48 »
This design is really amazing and ambitious. Good luck.

I might even convert from ANSI to ISO if I can get ahold of one.

Offline ebastler

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 11:52:03 »
Sad to see only ISO, looks awesome:(

Since I do not use ANSI I didn't really feel like creating an ANSI version (of which I could not build and test a prototype myself without spending a ****load of money on a keeb I'd never use) :/

Since both PCB and case are open source (case will be properly open sourced once it is final), I really hope someone else will find the motivation to fork it into an ANSI version! Maybe I'll create an ANSI version (which I will not test myself though) once the ISO version is confirmed working and bug-free. But until then, the ISO version is my priority.

This design is really amazing and ambitious. Good luck.

I might even convert from ANSI to ISO if I can get ahold of one.
Thanks! We'll see how it works once the boards and components arrive and my mate finished rebuilding his CNC (he felt like tearing the whole thing apart for improvements right now...). Hope it'll be fine.

Glad you like it! ISO = best layout  :p

Since a few people started using my design as a platform for keyset renders, I have a lot of (really!) pretty renders by now, I'll post a few later on. No comparison to my crappy fusion renders  :-[

Offline logo4poop

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:57:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

fake news, you have gotten it from alex jones!!!!
LCK75 so lit

Offline Motte

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 15:46:34 »
Hi there from Bornheim!
I just stumbled upon your project and I think it's great. I was thinking about designing my own perfect keyboard but now I don't have to thanks to you. With the form factor,  ISO and an encoder,  the only thing missing would be a small OLED. but thats not too important to me. I could care less about wireless funtionality but hey why not. :D

I'ts so uncanny how close your design is to my ideas, so thanks for sharing! Are you thinking about making a group buy? I would definitely be interested. On the other hand, if there is anything I could help you with, I'd be glad to do so.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2020, 15:50:26 by Motte »

Offline Altirix

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 16:24:30 »
Hi there from Bornheim!
I just stumbled upon your project and I think it's great. I was thinking about designing my own perfect keyboard but now I don't have to thanks to you. With the form factor,  ISO and an encoder,  the only thing missing would be a small OLED. but thats not too important to me. I could care less about wireless funtionality but hey why not. :D

I'ts so uncanny how close your design is to my ideas, so thanks for sharing! Are you thinking about making a group buy? I would definitely be interested. On the other hand, if there is anything I could help you with, I'd be glad to do so.

I believe you are describing the Satisfaction 75.

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 00:59:14 »
The top case and layout is beautiful. The bottom with the rbg and design feels cheap. Possibly a simple angular design (thinking like a TGR Jane) may entice more buyers?

Offline modern

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 05:59:15 »
finally got around to making a user just to say that this is lovely and covers all the features i've wanted to see in custom boards more often.

would definitely pick this up if you ended up doing a run.

agreed that it would be nice if this bottom portion of the case was the same material as the top

Offline mutthunt

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 06:25:51 »
Pretty hilarious that theres so much flack for ISO when I have to put up with so many good builds that don't allow ISO.
This looks bloody nice, will be keeping an eye out and prepping my wallet

Offline abrokencondom

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 06:34:36 »
Fantastic looking keyboard.
Bold choice to go Iso only, and with such a geometric bottom + RGB underglow (I like it personally, despite how divisive a feature it can be).

If you do manage the QI receiver in the bottom assembly, to allow charging under the deskmat to use the keyboard wirelessly forever... you'll inspire some new boards by those enthusiasts of the clean cordless keyboard+mouse setup.

Anyone know of any other upcoming keyboards with Evolv's layout (with the dial) since it's now looking like my favourite design in terms of spacing?
So tempted, but I don't use ISO because I don't want my keycap options stunted (I feel sorry for ISO users in regards to that).

Offline ebastler

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 12:13:26 »
If you have been waiting for decent renders - your wait is over! If not, I'll show you anyway  :p
Huge thanks to elmo, not only for making these awesome renders, but also for allowing me to share them with you. If you are a keycap designer and wanna render your caps on my board, too - .fbx files (for blender) of the case have been added to the github repo. Some .steps (for CAD software) too. Feel free to use them as you wish!

Thanks for the compliments! If you want to have encoder + OLED + 75%, you might wanna check out the satisfaction 75 (one of the boards that inspired me!) - sadly, no ISO plate options. The PCB supports it and ISO plate dxfs are available, though.
Regarding the groupbuy - I have about 8 boards promised to friends so far - that'll cover the 3 prototypes I won't keep (provided they work), then I'll have to see. My dream would be to find a shop who will partner with me to have them in stock. If that won't work out, I'll probably make a small, second run. Big plus of a small run: case materials can be freely chosen between POM, wood and PC for the upper and POM and PC for the bottom shell - a choice that would probably not be possible in a larger scale GB or if they should get stocked somewhere. But I wanna go step by step - see if the prototypes work and get QMK onto them is about as far ahead as I am planning right now...

The top case and layout is beautiful. The bottom with the rbg and design feels cheap. Possibly a simple angular design (thinking like a TGR Jane) may entice more buyers?
This mostly started with the idea of making my dream board reality and selling the 3 leftover protos, I did not expect the design to gather so much attention... A POM bottom shell would be no issue, and a "clean" non stepped surface could be done, but with higher milling costs. I'd prefer to stick to my design though, because that's what makes it stand out most (apart from the ISO-only). Maybe I'll just sell PCBs, and everyone can download (and edit?) edit the case files and have them milled themselves. As I said above, I'm not yet planning this far ahead. Only thing I can tell for sure is that there will not be a big GB from my side.

Pretty hilarious that theres so much flack for ISO when I have to put up with so many good builds that don't allow ISO.
This looks bloody nice, will be keeping an eye out and prepping my wallet
Thanks a lot! I hope I'll be able to offer them for purchase somehow... But we'll see once it's time for that.
I thought that there's so many super pretty ANSI only boards, ANSI users can handle a single keeb that's ISO only. Kinda weird, since we got Satisfaction, 7V and evolv which have almost the same layout and a similar (top shell) design.
They are premium boards with a price to match though, while mine is highly cost-optimised and will not have their premium looks or feel.

Fantastic looking keyboard.
Bold choice to go Iso only, and with such a geometric bottom + RGB underglow (I like it personally, despite how divisive a feature it can be).

If you do manage the QI receiver in the bottom assembly, to allow charging under the deskmat to use the keyboard wirelessly forever... you'll inspire some new boards by those enthusiasts of the clean cordless keyboard+mouse setup.

Anyone know of any other upcoming keyboards with Evolv's layout (with the dial) since it's now looking like my favourite design in terms of spacing?
So tempted, but I don't use ISO because I don't want my keycap options stunted (I feel sorry for ISO users in regards to that).
Thank you, too! The bold choice was rather easy to make, because when I made it I was only planning on making 5, maximum 10 boards for which I could easily find buyers. The bottom shell sure is the most divisive feature, but also the only one that actually makes this board stand out.
The QI/battery management part is off-loaded into a separate repo (and on a separate PCB) on purpose, my idea was to allow more designers to use them once I got everything sorted out. Similar to ai03s unified daughterboard, but focused on wireless boards (while still offering a simple USB passthrough version for those who wanna keep it wired). I originally hoped to stay within the dimensions of his board, too, but had no chance to squeeze the TP4056 + DW01 and 4 JSTs into that tiny form factor. Would have been awesome as a drop-in-battery-ification-board :D

...I wrote a lot again, but felt like dropping a line or two for every comment - now it's render time, though!

Blue alu top, clear PC bottom, GMK Nord

Clear PC bottom

POM top, clear PC bottom, GMK WOB

Frosted PC top, frosted PC bottom, GMK BOW

« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2020, 12:27:04 by ebastler »

Offline Motte

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:29:58 »
I believe you are describing the Satisfaction 75.

You're right. The Sat75 even is the first custom mech I ever saw. I watched Taekeyboards' build video and it got me very excited about custom mechs. But at that time I still was looking for a full size mech. Secondl, it's a bit over my budget (espacially because I would need to have a custom plate made). Finally, it's not open source. If I had made my own design, I would have published it, just like ebastler does. I learned so much because there are people who like to share their knowledge and I always try to give back. Even if those points wouldn't apply, how would I obtain a Sat75? The GB has ended months ago and second hand prizes probably are going to skyrocket :-/

Sorry for OT. Back to topic:

Those render pics are just the cat's pyjamas. Now I definitely want (to build) one. Asking for a GB was just to know if I needed to make plans for building it myself.
Actually, I think the bottom's design is very good. It reminds me of 16bit and pixel art overall. And I like those pixels! Broforce anyone? :)
Also, the bottom makes it quite interesting to build a sandwich case. One could block the layers against each other using thin foil and then assign one colour per layer.

I like that you're aiming for a simple milling solution. Do you think it would be feasible to mill one by hand using router?

Edit: So if you come to the decision to sell PCBs, count me in :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:33:38 by Motte »

Offline ebastler

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:54:38 »
Those render pics are just the cat's pyjamas. Now I definitely want (to build) one.
Hehe, looks like I owe elmo a beer for those :D I don't know anything about renders, so I would not have been able to make them.
By the way, the RGB in the renders is made assigning light sources to the SK6812 models on the PCB - so it should actually looks somwhat like this IRL. I hope, at least.

Broforce
Love that game!

One could block the layers against each other using thin foil and then assign one colour per layer.

I like that you're aiming for a simple milling solution. Do you think it would be feasible to mill one by hand using router?
I have never thought of that, but it would be possible. You'd have to change it a little, though, because I am using 2.375 mm "layer" height (19/8...) to keep within the "isometria" theme. 2 mm would probably not hurt either, though, just change the typing angle a little bit (6.2° or something like that maybe? haven't done the math).

The bottom as a sandwich layer would definitely be hand-routable, especially if you go for the wired version (so you don't need the cutouts for the battery, QI reiceiver and their wires.

The top shell would probably be a pain to hand-route though, since the plate is part of the top assembly and that one is some kinda complicated geometry all around. Maybe go from a 4mm to a 2mm plate, hand-route all the larger grooves and then lasercut the switches - that should work.

Offline KEYGEM

• * Vendor
    • KEYGEM Online Shop
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 17:24:27 »
Looking forward to see more :)

Offline Woo-Jin

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 06:49:07 »
I made an account just to post this lol.

I really love the design, like hands down the board I've wanted the most. Super amazing work! If there ever is a GB then I'd def join! Saw that u had some work planned for some friends and all. and that in the future, it would be a potential GB. How long in the future would that be u think? Or no possible ETA based on the situation?

Regardless, sweet work, I'd love to join a future GB so I'll check the thread now and then to see if there are any updates on it!

Offline online

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 07:14:32 »
Wow, interesting. I’m alway interested in wireless keyboard! Is it QMK compatible? Which Bluetooth module you use? I have my own custom qmk board but I give up on Bluetooth because of the power hungry Bluetooth module. Is the power management done through firmware or hardware?

Offline ebastler

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 07:32:57 »
Looking forward to see more :)
Thanks, me too! :D

I really love the design, like hands down the board I've wanted the most. Super amazing work! If there ever is a GB then I'd def join! Saw that u had some work planned for some friends and all. and that in the future, it would be a potential GB. How long in the future would that be u think? Or no possible ETA based on the situation?

Regardless, sweet work, I'd love to join a future GB so I'll check the thread now and then to see if there are any updates on it!
Wow, now that's a compliment - thank you! I think it'll be another month for the first prototype, then I'll have to get the formware working, and then see how I will proceed. Can't really say if/when there will be a GB just yet, sorry! I'll keep you guys updated in the thread though.

Wow, interesting. I’m alway interested in wireless keyboard! Is it QMK compatible? Which Bluetooth module you use? I have my own custom qmk board but I give up on Bluetooth because of the power hungry Bluetooth module. Is the power management done through firmware or hardware?
Well, Bluetooth is the big maybe so far. It will absolutely be based on QMK, and I have 3.3V and a full SPI port on a header which is intended to fit a BT module. My current plan would be to use an an Adafruit BT LE SPI friend, but it is kinda pricey. Also, I did not think of adding a FET to hardware-cut SK6812, resulting in ~20 mA stand-by draw (out of a 2000 mAh battery). I will try to fix that with a hand-wired FET on the prototype and if it works, add a FET on the PCB for the next rev. Also, there is a simple hardware switch in the bottom to completely cut the battery from the circuit.

However, I have not yet worked with QMK, and have no clue how to implement all the BT stuff... I'll see once I get the PCBs and start arguing with QMK.

The battery was mostly intended as a short/mid term buffer to allow for a few days of wireless use, but recharging with a QI charger below the deskmat every once in a while, not for a fully autonomous wireless keeb which can run for weeks/months without recharging.

Battery charging/undervoltage protection/overcharge protection is done in hardware, using a TP4056 with a DW01 chip and a dual-MOSFET. Similar to most of the cheap "1S LiIon charger PCBs" you can find on Ali. The whole battery management is done on the USB daughterboard.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2020, 07:35:24 by ebastler »

Offline Woo-Jin

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 08:51:05 »

Wow, now that's a compliment - thank you! I think it'll be another month for the first prototype, then I'll have to get the formware working, and then see how I will proceed. Can't really say if/when there will be a GB just yet, sorry! I'll keep you guys updated in the thread though.

Awesome! I'll just keep tuning in! Good luck!

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 10:53:21 »
75 + PC = yes please, especially with Evolv's layout  :)
Unfortunately, ISO is a big NO for myself, but a great option for those who prefer it!

Good luck!
Stay strong  :thumb:

Offline blingboyduck

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:14:42 »
This is honestly as close as I have ever seen to my dream keyboard!
Am absolutely following for if / when this is ever available to purchase.

I assume you are based in Germany?
It is nice to see some EU / ISO boards. They seem quite rare.

Offline ebastler

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 19:26:50 »
Thank you guys :)

Yes, I am currently living in Germany, and I would love if the boards would be easily available some day!

While I was waiting for the PCBs (should arrive on Monday, if everything goes well) I made some semi-usable technical drawings:
https://github.com/ebastler/isometria-75/blob/master/isometria-75-case-iso/fab/drawing.pdf

If I wanted to dimension everything, it would be tens of pages, so I limited myself to a few things, that should suffice for a cost estimate at milling-companies, and for a quick post-production tolerance check. The actual production will be done with the CAD models anyway, so I suppose the pdf doesn't have to include every dimension. We'll see how that works.

Sadly, while the PCBs arrive on Monday, most components (JST and USB connectors, SK6812, random other stuff) are still somewhere between china and Germany. Might take a while until I get those things working.

Anyway, I'll keep the thread updated once anything of importance happens. Have a nice weekend!

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 16:41:39 »
I heard you are not planning a series of 5 but a series of 6 basti :) Is that right?

Offline Motte

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 14:35:29 »
The bottom as a sandwich layer would definitely be hand-routable, especially if you go for the wired version (so you don't need the cutouts for the battery, QI reiceiver and their wires.

The top shell would probably be a pain to hand-route though, since the plate is part of the top assembly and that one is some kinda complicated geometry all around. Maybe go from a 4mm to a 2mm plate, hand-route all the larger grooves and then lasercut the switches - that should work.

The sandwich idea was meant to make the case a bit cheaper, making it possible to have the layers laser cut.
I didn't see that plate and top case are one part. I probably would split them up so to have a plate that may be laser cut. Then I probably (didn't have a look at the drawings you posted yet) can shape the top case myself using my router.

Which tools did you use to create the CAD models?

Offline ebastler

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 18:56:06 »
I designed the enclosure using Fusion360!

@SMOKEY: Sorry, JLC only let me choose between 5 and 10 ;)

Also, there's news: my PCBs finally arrived. Some impressions are below. Sadly, Sk6812 Mini and all connectors are still somewhere between China and Europe - might take a while to arrive.
I'll cut an old USB cable and solder it directly to the PCB tomorrow, so that I can test them and start working on QMK.

Offline Motte

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 13:40:55 »
Noice! Have fun building :)

Damn, never had a go at Fusion and don't have a source to have one at it. Hoped you had used Solid Works. But thanks for sharing STEP files :)

Offline Vidhur100

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 21:38:34 »
I also created an account an account for this post. I have been in the hobby for around year now and I wanted to say this is the only keyboard I have saw and liked everything about. From the easy to mill design to the wireless charging pad idea this keyboard is amazing. I just was wondering if you are planning to make an ANSI version of this keyboard. I also wanted to make a suggestion of creating a USB port on the side of the keyboard to add something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Fingerprint-Windows-Scanner-Matching-Biometric/dp/B078WTZJL3). Keep up the amazing work  :thumb:

Offline isfan14

• -
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 10:44:31 »
are the spi connector actually needed?

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Offline Merinhow

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 15:22:57 »
Hi!! i'm a begginer in mechanical keyboards, actually just created an account to reply this thread. i'm in search for a 75% keyboard and dude... this design is just perfect. Is there any way to me to get a hand in this? Some way i can order some company to build this for me?

Offline Vidhur100

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 11:46:08 »
Hi!! i'm a begginer in mechanical keyboards, actually just created an account to reply this thread. i'm in search for a 75% keyboard and dude... this design is just perfect. Is there any way to me to get a hand in this? Some way i can order some company to build this for me?
You could get the pcb manufactured and the part and just screw ur together. But getting that pcb manufactured with the components soldered on is going to be hard and expensive. On top of that you are spending
around 800 dollars to mill all the parts for this board(I know because I tried to do it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ebastler

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 19:09:14 »
Damn it, I totally forgot about this thread while waiting...

I also created an account an account for this post. I have been in the hobby for around year now and I wanted to say this is the only keyboard I have saw and liked everything about. From the easy to mill design to the wireless charging pad idea this keyboard is amazing. I just was wondering if you are planning to make an ANSI version of this keyboard. I also wanted to make a suggestion of creating a USB port on the side of the keyboard to add something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Fingerprint-Windows-Scanner-Matching-Biometric/dp/B078WTZJL3). Keep up the amazing work  :thumb:
Hmm... I suppose it would be possible if I added a USB hub somehow, but I am kinda lacking space to do anything in this unit right now... I'll keeb a USB2 hub in mind for future projects. Sounds like a useful idea!

are the spi connector actually needed?
Since I wanted to keep the possibility to make it wireless - yeah. The idea was to connect an adafruit SPI Feather LE (or the Nordic module it is based on) via SPI. If you don't care about Bluetooth, you can leave the connector out.

PCBs are cheaply orderable at jlcpcb - the cases are more of an issue. I guess you'll have to find a hobbyist with a decent machine to get a one-off for an afforable price.
CAM, making the tooling to mill from both sites and setup costs can be kinda awful for one-offs.
You could try to find an SLA/SLS 3D printing service - could be cheaper, but I have no clue of it will be sufficiently sturdy and if it will be any cheaper. Maybe you have a makerspace/hackerspace/fab lab with decent gear around - could try asking those.

You could get the pcb manufactured and the part and just screw ur together. But getting that pcb manufactured with the components soldered on is going to be hard and expensive. On top of that you are spending
around 800 dollars to mill all the parts for this board(I know because I tried to do it).
5 main PCBs and 5 USB daighterboards should be way below 100 bucks at jlcpcb. IIRC I paid around 13$ per prototype (main board + USB pcb). Assembly included apart from all connectors which I hand soldered. All manufacturing files for jlcpcb are in the repo.
Case is a different problem, as mentioned above.

Anyway, I'm still working on it - the project is far from being dead! I recently changed and improved a few things about the design (mostly just improvements in the plate, made the case 1mm slimmer, added space for bumpons, added acoustic cuts and stuff like that) and "ordered" the first prototype a while ago ("ordered" because I have a friend with a good CNC who will mill it for me).

Offline ebastler

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 17:50:24 »
While I am waiting for prototypes, Skok made some pretty renders of his amazing keyset GMK Norse (IC Thread linked) and I felt like sharing them. Even if it was not intentional, I love the idea of rendering the Isometria in isometric projection. Great play on words.

I think the set looks really pretty on the board, and am very proud that people are using my design for renders. Even if the prototyping takes ages, I get to see it every now and then.

My friend and I are currently tinkering about the most (cost) efficient way of millig the integrated plate, and whether or not we will be able to support a limited wooden version of the top shell, too. The really thin bezels and integrated plate are giving us a hard time in getting anything that will not most likely break, though.

Offline logo4poop

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 20:03:04 »
How are prototypes going  :)
LCK75 so lit

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 04:45:00 »
The stepped case is a unique way to have a flat top case which is cost effective to machine, and an angled lower. With the right back lighting it should look quite good, and the sandwich nature of it means that the height/angle can be changed without machining a new lower.

Offline Corruto

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 12:18:10 »
I need this in my life. Just give heads up when I need to pay.

Offline ebastler

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 07:58:00 »
Thanks! Glad to hear that!

Current timetable:
Get my prototype and the 4 others from the prototyping run (between me and m friends) done within 2020
Organise either a small (probably germany-exclusive) GB myself for Q2 2021 and then get a vendor for a larger GB, or skip straight to the larger groupbuy which will then be official and public.

I'd also like to offer an ANSI choice together with an updated PCB revision with minor updates for the GB.

But I'm not planning too far ahead, and taking one step at a time. Once it will be available as a GB, I will make sure to post the GB on Geekhack, Reddit and some Discord communities - will be hard to miss  :thumb:

I am quite busy atm because one of my other designs (E80-1800 PCB for Cherry G80-1800) is supposed to go live sometime soonish, and I am working on a PCB commission for one of the hottest boards in prototyping right now. Can't wait for that to launch, even if I only did the PCBs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 August 2020, 08:00:00 by ebastler »

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 14:19:48 »
Very interesting, I'll keep an eye on this !
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Davenqk

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 02:13:04 »
This sounds like the board that I've always dreamed of, looking forward to a future GB.

Offline Holy__cow

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 14:42:04 »
I had to make an account just to say this is such an amazing board! So happy to see an ISO only board, going to seriously look into how I can build one of these.

Offline penatbater

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 07:40:44 »
wow this looks cool! What encoder did you use for this?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 16:05:16 »
nice
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline ebastler

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 05:17:49 »
Sorry that I've kept you waiting for so long, but my first prototype has finally arrived! I built it and, apart from almost poking a hole into the battery with a switch pin, haven't encountered any issues so far. Really happy with how it turned out, even though with SA it's a bit on the higher side - guess GMK will fit better.

I have already uploaded a small fix for the PCB (missing pull-down resistor for backlight, negligible error) to the repo, and will push the latest case-sources sometime soon.

But, and now come the big news, I have also started working on v2 - which will be just what a lot of you guys have been waiting for. Multi-layout! You read that right, the v2 PCB will be ISO + ANSI compatible. In addition to that, it will no longer run off an STM32F072, but directly on a nRF52840 (Holyiot 18010) module. This sadly removes mainline QMK as a viable software option, but should work with the unofficial fork (which I will not be openly supporting or pre-flashing since it infringes licenses, but it's a cool firmware) and, what I will be using, ZMK, an upcoming keyboard firmware heavily focused on wireless operation. If you don't want it wireless, both ZMK and the QMK fork still behave like a regular USB keeb once connected with a cable - no worries.
If you're curious, v2 is already on github, in a separate branch.

The isometria adventure goes on - I'm really curious where it will lead to. Groupbuy is still planned, but I don't have any ETA yet. Coming when it's ready.

See you around,
ebastler
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 October 2020, 05:20:07 by ebastler »

Offline Motte

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 17:18:16 »
Man I'm so excited reading your update! Great job it looks fantastic. Gratz on finishing that prototype. The case doesn't look like wood at all. Which material did you use ?

Offline ebastler

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 17:24:21 »
It's POM - since the guy who made it said my file was not possible to be milled from wood, and I didn't want to compromise, I went for the easier solution. POM is also the material I'd like to use for the GB once it's ready.