Author Topic: [GB] Nazaré 1-60 by Nazaré Engineering  (Read 9519 times)

Offline Invezting

[GB] Nazaré 1-60 by Nazaré Engineering
« on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 21:08:51 »

Nazaré 1-60 Wave 1 (W1)

Introduction
Hello, my name is Brian and I am a long standing member of the community who has almost a decade of experience in engineering/CAD. I make this post here today to introduce my brand new company, Nazaré Engineering, alongside its very first project. The name of the company, Nazaré, takes after the Portuguese city home to the largest ocean waves on Earth. This name embodies Nazaré Engineering’s vision perfectly, as the company stands for a breathtakingly large wave of innovation and brilliant design. Through this company vision, I set out to design Nazaré Engineering’s first keyboard to look special, feel premium, and sound elegant. With these goals in mind and meticulous attention to detail, the Nazaré 1-60 was born.

Naming Convention for Nazaré Keyboards
  • The first number (in this case, 1) signifies the design series of the specific form factor of the keyboard.
  • The second number (in this case, 60) denotes the form factor.
  • When applicable (as not every design, including this one, is guaranteed to rerun), group buy rounds will be numbered and referred to as recurring waves (W1, W2, W3...etc.).

Design Approach
  • The top of the keyboard is designed to look special and captivate your attention, as the bottom right blocker badge provides a signature aesthetic never before seen on a 60% keyboard. The symmetrical bezels also allow for a clean top-view look that compliments the low front height of the keyboard. Even the carefully selected fillets and chamfers work together to showcase a soft, yet sharp and modern look.
  • The bottom of the keyboard is designed to portray the concept that the gravitational pull of the sun and moon causes ocean waves. This is why the keyboard bottom showcases a copper weight that represents the sun, a brass weight that represents the moon, and an ocean blue polycarbonate "weight" that represents Nazaré’s ocean waves.
  • I designed a brand new mounting style for this keyboard, which I have called the “Rail-Ring” gasket mount system. This new “Rail-Ring” gasket mount system is basically a hybrid of isolation gasket mount and o-ring gummy gasket mount. This mounting system consists of wrapping o-rings around every edge of the plate to dampen all contact between the plate and case. The left/right edges of the plate have 1 o-ring wrapped around them. The top/bottom edges of the plate have 3 o-rings wrapped around them. All 8 o-rings then rest inside of tunnels machined into both the top and bottom of the keyboard. These tunnels are meant to keep the plate in place and provide a little bit of o-ring compression. The depth of these tunnels also keeps the plate in a floating position where the plate doesn’t make any contact with the case. This system was designed with the intention of providing a consistent typing experience across the whole plate, as well as hopefully improving upon the already satisfying typing experience associated with o-ring gummy gasket mounted keyboards.

Specifications
  • 6063 Aluminum Case
  • Color Options: E-White Top w/ Anodized Black Bottom and Anodized Black Top w/ E-White Bottom
  • Bead-Blasted (Renders are Mirror Polished) Stainless Steel Bottom Right Blocker Badge
  • Default Anodized Black Aluminum Plate (of either ISO or ANSI layout)
  • Eight 50A Silicone O-Rings
  • Four Different Bottom Accent Weights:
  • Bead-Blasted (Renders are Mirror Polished) Stainless Steel Weight #1
  • Bead-Blasted Copper Weight #2
  • Ocean Blue Polycarbonate "Weight" #3
  • Bead-Blasted Brass Weight #4

Features
  • Bottom Right Blocker 60%
  • “Rail-Ring” Gasket Mount System
  • 6.9 Degree Typing Angle
  • Low Front Height (≈18.5mm)
  • Seamless Case Design
  • Centered USB-C Unified C3 Daughterboard (Designed by ai03 and friends)
  • Solder PCB - Compatible with QMK and VIA (Designed by Gondolindrim)
  • Supported Layouts (ANSI & ISO):

What comes in the box (excluding add-ons)?
  • Nazaré 1-60 Keyboard
  • Default Aluminum Plate (of either ISO or ANSI layout)
  • PCB, USB-C Daughterboard, and JST Cable
  • All Necessary O-Rings, Bumpons, and Screws
  • Hex Key
  • Custom Microfiber Cloth
  • Custom Carrying Case:

What add-ons will be available?
  • Extra Anodized Black Aluminum Plate Add-on (of either ISO or ANSI layout)
  • Extra PCB, USB-C Daughterboard, and JST Cable Add-on
  • Extra Forged Carbon Fiber Plate Add-on (of either ISO or ANSI layout)

Sale Info

Answers to Possible Questions
  • Why no tsangan bottom row?
    Sorry guys, I really wanted to support 7u, but I eventually decided to fix the bottom row to 6.25u for a number of different reasons.
    Reason #1) To make the bottom right blocker/badge look more square and less rectangular. I basically wanted the board to look more like a top right blocker board and less like a HHKB, as I feel like this would give the board its own signature look never-before-seen on a 60% keyboard.
    Reason #2) To make the aesthetic of the board more symmetrical in spite of the bottom right blocker, as fixing the bottom row to ANSI allows the space bar to have three keys on both the left and right of it. If I were to support tsangan, the board would have three keys on the left and only two on the right. This would also force me to design two different tops, as the blocker would have to be a different size in order to support tsangan.
    Reason #3) To lower the number of SKUs for this first run.
  • Why is this 650 USD?
    This price is a result of: the microchip shortage + the low unit count of the project + the 5 different materials used across the whole board (aluminum, stainless steel, brass, dyed polycarbonate, and copper) + complex machining + working with reputable manufacturers.

R1 Prototype Information
  • The color for this prototype is E-White Top w/ E-Black Bottom (The GB units will be Anodized Black instead of E-Black, so keep this in mind).
  • The stainless steel pieces (badge and backplate) for this prototype are both Bead-Blasted.

R2 Prototypes Information
  • The colors for these prototypes are E-White/Anodized Black (so the same as what will be offered for the GB).
  • The stainless steel pieces (badge and backplate) for these prototypes are also Bead-Blasted (so the same as what will be offered for the GB).
  • Changes made to R2 Prototype: optimized plate consistency/feel through flexcut changes, increased space in case for PCB flex, made usb-c hole larger, improved assembly design for badge, made adjustments to the o-ring rails for improved durability, added daughterboard stands, and made a JST cable channel.

Production Units Information
  • Changes made to Production Units: removed the (interiorly located) bottom left screw from the stainless steel weight to eliminate any odds of the switch pins making contact with the screw (when the left control key is pressed), the LEDs on the PCB will be moved further out so the lighting diffusion is improved and so that the LEDs themselves are not visible through the polycarbonate "weight," made slight adjustments to the fillets of the holes on the plate for improved switch fitment, made slight adjustments to the stab cutouts on the plate to accommodate the fillet adjustments made, added an engraving to the interior, and increased the front height of the keyboard to 18.5mm for increased space under the PCB.

Connect With Nazaré Engineering
To stay up to date with this project and any future projects, follow the instagram page and join the discord server below!
Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/nazare.engineering/
Discord Server: https://discord.com/invite/qtmRtdCBJv

Giveaway
In preparation of the February GB, alexotos and I have teamed up to giveaway the Nazaré 1-60 R2 Prototype in the typing test above! Go check out his post to find out how to join the giveaway! Here is the link to it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZNZqOpOuKP/?utm_medium=copy_link. The giveaway will close on February 14th, 2022 at 10pm EST.

Special Words
I would like to thank the whole rat pack, the entire Nazaré discord, Gondo for the PCB work, Pikku for doing all of the renders, CookieCurls/alexotos/Lulzthax/clack labs/WilsonKeebs/Poesjuh/sj_does_things/KneeDeep for the builds/pictures/typing tests/streams/patina work, and anyone else who helped support this project along the way<3 This project wouldn't have been possible without any of you.

Note
Please consider this post a living document, as I am constantly updating the post to keep everyone informed with the most accurate details.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 November 2023, 03:47:08 by Invezting »

Offline Invezting

Re: [GB] Nazaré 1-60 W1 by Nazaré Engineering
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 21:09:52 »
Here I will be providing monthly updates regarding the GB. For biweekly updates regarding the GB, please join the discord server through this link: https://discord.com/invite/qtmRtdCBJv. Updates will be provided here and in the discord server until this entire project is complete.

Monthly GB Updates
  • Monthly Update #1: Hey Everyone! This is the first update! As such, I don't have too much to update on besides the fact that all production orders are currently being placed. Would also like to note that a lot of the manufacturers we are using for this project are currently closed due to a recent flare-up in COVID cases. Hopefully by the time I'm sending out the next update the COVID cases have gone down and the manufacturers are back to normal operations. There is a lot of unfortunate stuff going on in the world currently, so any help you are able to provide to those around you would go a long way I'm sure. Wishing you guys the best! Stay safe.
  • Monthly Update #2: Hey Everyone! Most of the orders have been placed, as such, we are now in the production queue! Thank you all for your support! Wishing you guys the best! Stay safe.
  • Monthly Update #3: Hey Everyone! The forged carbon fiber plates and the carrying cases/cloths have all finished production. Everything else is still in the production queue. Stay safe and have a great rest of your day:) I appreciate you for taking the time to read this. If you have any questions, feel free to drop by the #nazaré-1-60 channel.
  • Monthly Update #4: Hey Everyone! I have some great news today, ALL of the PCBs have finished production and the keyboard production sample has been inspected and confirmed. Now we just wait for the production of the keyboards to finish. Have a great rest of your day and stay safe everyone!
  • Monthly Update #5: Hey Everyone! Update is basically the same as the last one, things are still moving along. I should be able provide a more accurate eta in the coming weeks, thanks for being patient. Stay safe everyone!
  • Monthly Update #6: Hey Everyone! Hope you guys are staying safe. Like the last update, everything is still moving along. The tops and bottoms are currently being processed. Things should start to pick up faster now, thanks for being patient through the processes. Have a great day everyone!
  • Monthly Update #7: Everything is still moving along. Bottoms and all other parts are still being processed. Hopefully by the next update a lot more of the components have finished cnc. Have a great rest of your day and stay safe!
  • Monthly Update #8: Hey everyone! Hope you guys are doing well and staying safe! Today I have some amazing news for you all. ALL Nazaré 1-60 units are on track to be shipped out to each vendor by the end of this month. The production team has made huge strides over the last few weeks, so now we are closer than ever to getting these boards into your hands. Fingers crossed no boats get stuck in a canal haha. Have a good day everyone!
  • Monthly Update #9: Hey everyone! ALL units are on their way to their respective vendors now! Extras will be up a few weeks after all orders have been delivered. Join your vendor's discord for information about that.
  • Monthly Update #10: Hey everyone! ALL units have now been fulfilled by each vendor. Extras have also all sold out. Thanks to everyone who helped support this project! More cool stuff coming soon.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 June 2023, 16:49:28 by Invezting »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 20:42:44 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline LilithAugustus

• She/Her
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 21:25:04 »
you had me at rail ring

Offline dRnRcRr

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 21:30:35 »
I like pizza. I also like this board

Offline Blastoise

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 21:47:31 »
Oh my dogggggg it's happening! Love the materials and thoughtfulness of this design! Good luck to everyone including myself going for one of these!
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 February 2022, 21:54:31 by Blastoise »

Offline kabocha

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 21:49:25 »
Please give. Grats on GB!

Offline Cookiecurls

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 22:40:08 »
Congratulations on the GB!!! So amazing to see the Nazare happening 🙌❤️

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 00:07:33 »
My man got cookies to make a geekhack account. Iconic.

GLWGB friend I just love that you're doing something so unique

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 01:22:20 »
Really excited for this one, such a unique design. GLWGB.
ThocKeys.com

Offline novelflyer

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 15:28:30 »
GLWGB! I love the design of it  :thumb:

Offline dvllpxe

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 23:06:26 »
yo im about this. the typing test video is nice. good job!

Offline sunnysidecali

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 23:46:36 »
Love the attention to detail. Glad it’s finally happening! Hope I can snag a unit  ;D

Offline vheissu

• Pragmatic Geometrist
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 01:00:22 »
Let's gooooo!! Such a great board, GLWGB my dude!

Offline Belled

• I like shoobs
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 19:11:16 »
love the blocker and the weights gl!

Offline Invezting

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 01:00:33 »
Here I will only be checking off/documenting/listing major GB updates (like: GB Sales Complete, Production Complete, GB Fulfillment Complete, Extras Sales Complete, etc.). If you are looking for more detailed updates regarding the GB, please join the discord server through this link: https://discord.com/invite/qtmRtdCBJv, as updates will be provided there biweekly until this entire project is complete.

Major GB Updates
  • GB Sales Complete

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 06:26:18 »
Here I will only be checking off/documenting/listing major GB updates (like: GB Sales Complete, Production Complete, GB Fulfillment Complete, Extras Sales Complete, etc.). If you are looking for more detailed updates regarding the GB, please join the discord server through this link: https://discord.com/invite/qtmRtdCBJv, as updates will be provided there biweekly until this entire project is complete.

Major GB Updates
  • GB Sales Complete

Don't forget the monthly update here ! Not everyone wants to use a different Discord for every GB they enter.

What are my responsibilities as a Group Buy organizer after creating the thread?

geekhack.org is a community of keyboard enthusiasts and not simply an advertising platform for keyboard-related sales. Thus we require that any group buy organizers who post their group buy threads in this section also provide updates in the thread they have started until the conclusion of the group buy, even if updates are also posted somewhere else. It is requested to post an update at least monthly, even if there is no progress in manufacturing.

Group buy threads made here are for group buy progress discussion as well as open discussion of any quality control issues. If a group buy organizer decides to provide an off-site instant message chat option for faster order support (for example Discord), any such communication needs to be optional when it comes to non-sensitive order information (individual support involving personal information is not required to, and should not, be posted in the public thread).

Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Invezting

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 16:57:45 »
Thanks for reminding me about this :) Will edit the post and update here accordingly :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 April 2022, 02:51:03 by Invezting »