Author Topic: brown vs. blue cherry  (Read 80801 times)

Offline ironcoder

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 08:53:12 »
Damn I'm still not getting the newsletters :(
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 09:55:20 »
Quote from: ripster;95683
I guess I'm supposed to keep it secret

Dude, just say that the Filcos with bl... Hey!!! Where are you taking me?!?

Offline o2dazone

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 09:58:31 »
You guys are awful

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 10:41:48 »
I'm thinking about getting one of these blue cherry Filcos, but Im wondering what the switches. Aside from buckling springs, the only type of mechanical switch I've ever used are Black Alps. Can anyone give me an idea of how they stack up in terms of feel, tactility, stiffness etc?

Offline watduzhkstand4

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 11:56:46 »
Blue Cherries... YUMMMMM They smell, look, and feel better than the edible ones x]
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline watduzhkstand4

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 12:28:04 »
Quote from: ripster;95707
Pook calls Blue Cherries "sparkly".

Show Image

There, now the thread has COMPLETELY gone full circle and we're back on page one.

lol where do you get all these pics from ripster. It only takes you a min everytime!
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2009, 12:33:43 by watduzhkstand4 »
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline watduzhkstand4

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 12:34:16 »
Quote from: ripster;95711
Shh.....

YES SIR! (check again @ my previous post)
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline watduzhkstand4

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 12:42:58 »
lmao I just don't want to be rude because if I am, they might not send me the red esc key =O
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline wellington1869

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 13:42:14 »
lol, ripster I need the link to that simpsons chalkboard site ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 14:45:24 »
thats not quite what I meant : )

Quote from: watduzhkstand4;95709
lol where do you get all these pics from ripster. It only takes you a min everytime!
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 14:47:49 »
thats not quite what I meant : ) I think I need to reconsider the descriptors that I use. You are one crazy dude ripster : )

Quote from: ripster;95707
Pook calls Blue Cherries "sparkly".

Show Image

There, now the thread has COMPLETELY gone full circle and we're back on page one.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline jkkhop

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:13:14 »
It's been my first two days with Brown Cherry Filco and so far I can't say my typing speed has increased. Making a lot of mistakes when typing rapidly and getting only 50-55WPM. These switches turned out to be lighter and more sensitive than I anticipated. They are pretty good for fps-gaming, however, I'm wondering if I would have enjoyed the Black Cherries, or even White XM's better.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:16:35 by jkkhop »

Offline wellington1869

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:17:42 »
Quote from: jkkhop;98934
I'm wondering if I would have enjoyed the Black Cherries, or maybe even White XM's better.

black cherries feel smooth but the biggest complaint about them are that they're way too stiff. Tired my fingers out, for sure. I think 'red' cherries that came out recently are similar to blacks but with a lighter spring. You might like those. They're 'linear' I believe (no tactile bump). Probably be pretty light since i think they use the spring from the browns.
have you tried blues?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline jkkhop

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:29:28 »
Sure, going to keep this Filco for now and see if I get used to it better.. no reason to rush into conclusions quite yet. But thanks for the info wellington. I have yet to try other switches than these Browns.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:36:27 by jkkhop »

Offline wellington1869

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:33:02 »
Quote from: ripster;98941
 How's that Topre?  ;-)

we're still 'goin at it'  ;D

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:40:57 »
Quote from: jkkhop;98934
It's been my first two days with Brown Cherry Filco and so far I can't say my typing speed has increased. Making a lot of mistakes when typing rapidly and getting only 50-55WPM. These switches turned out to be lighter and more sensitive than I anticipated. They are pretty good for fps-gaming, however, I'm wondering if I would have enjoyed the Black Cherries, or even White XM's better.

I gradually moved down in resistance from Model Ms to Alps to Cherry browns.  At first I thought the Cherry browns were too light, but after using them for a few days to a week (I type a lot at work, so I get a lot of 'board-time), I got used to them, and now, I find BS and Alps too heavy.  It just takes a little time to get used to the switch.  They are too light for some folks, though.  There are quite a few people here that are die hard Model M users.

Offline o2dazone

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:42:40 »
Quote from: wellington1869;98950
we're still 'goin at it'  ;D

be gentle

Offline wellington1869

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:43:19 »
Quote from: o2dazone;98961
be gentle

rofl hilarious ;)

Offline wellington1869

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 15:44:26 »
Quote from: itlnstln;98957
I gradually moved down in resistance from Model Ms to Alps to Cherry browns.  At first I thought the Cherry browns were too light, but after using them for a few days to a week (I type a lot at work, so I get a lot of 'board-time), I got used to them, and now, I find BS and Alps too heavy.  It just takes a little time to get used to the switch.  They are too light for some folks, though.  There are quite a few people here that are die hard Model M users.

I've been gradually sliding down the slope too, though I havent arrived at the browns yet. There was a time i wouldnt have considered the topres because of the lightness.

Offline jkkhop

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 08:58:38 »
For first time after I got my Brown Cherry Filco, I plugged in my old worn-out Logitech Media Elite and gave it a try in Quake and it instantly felt better because of the stiffier keys. I am selling my Filco now and probably getting one with Black Cherries instead.

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 09:10:56 »
Quote from: jkkhop;112544
For first time after I got my Brown Cherry Filco, I plugged in my old worn-out Logitech Media Elite and gave it a try in Quake and it instantly felt better because of the stiffier keys. I am selling my Filco now and probably getting one with Black Cherries instead.

You may want to check out the Deck Legend Tactile. It has stiffer keys (Cherry whites) along the lines of the Cherry blacks and the tactility of the browns.  Basically, it's a Cherry brown switch with a Cherry black spring.

Offline jkkhop

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 09:26:28 »
Quote from: itlnstln;112550
You may want to check out the Deck Legend Tactile. It has stiffer keys (Cherry whites) along the lines of the Cherry blacks and the tactility of the browns.  Basically, it's a Cherry brown switch with a Cherry black spring.

Sounds like a perfect switch, but that backlight thing gave me an instant turnoff.

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 09:30:01 »
That, and the font on the Deck 'boards sucks (IMO).  I think they make blank ones though (or at least they sell blank keycaps).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 09:31:10 »
Yeah, it strikes me as odd that they are phasing the white switch out.

Another alternative here would be to get an old board with white SMK switches, which are like stiff Cherry blues.

Link

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 11:35:47 »
Quote from: ch_123;112566
Yeah, it strikes me as odd that they are phasing the white switch out.

Another alternative here would be to get an old board with white SMK switches, which are like stiff Cherry blues.

Link

Those aren't SMK switches, but white cherry clones that click.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline xyzzy

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:00:06 »
I'm still puzzled by the fact that the Cherry blacks are the most common Cherry mechanical switches available.

Not that they're bad, but it feels like typing on this

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:18:00 »
They're popular with POS and Industrial applications, where typing feel is nowhere near as important as reliability.

Remember - linear switches were used on just about everything before Buckling Springs came along. Im pretty sure tactile Alps and Cherrys were a response to BS.

Offline xyzzy

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:37:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;112650
They're popular with POS and Industrial applications, where typing feel is nowhere near as important as reliability.

Remember - linear switches were used on just about everything before Buckling Springs came along. Im pretty sure tactile Alps and Cherrys were a response to BS.

It's not that I don't like linear switches, it's the combination of linearity + stiffness that kills it for me.

As they give no tactile feedback at all, you pretty much have to bottom out to be sure that the stroke has registered. But as they're very stiff you end up banging on the keys like a madman.

It defeats must if not all of the advantages of using a mechanical keyboard IMHO.

Cherry browns OTOH are much lighter, and they feel almost linear switches if you type fast and bottom out. But still they don't feel like typing on a mattress.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:56:46 »
Again, I think the aforementioned activities would benefit from switches that can't be pressed accidentally (well, at least not easily). And yeah, I've used some real old keyboards that have soft linear switches, and they are pleasant enough to type on, but I'd still prefer some sort of pronounced tactility in the keyboards I'm using.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 22:16:35 »
Yesterday, I noticed one keyboard for 99 cents in a thrift shop, and the keys seemed to have a nice feel, as well as being made of glossy ABS plastic, so I bought it. It turned out to be a rubber cone keyboard, but at least with individual cones for the keys, like a Keytronics, but with a crisper feel. (Strangely enough, though, the back of the keyboard internals clips on to a curved metal plate, giving much the same appearance as a Model M; the plastic case strongly resembles it as well.) This keyboard was made by the Japanese company Mitsumi.

Today, I visited another part of town with two thrift shops next to one another. I bought an Apple Keyboard II in one, thinking to find ALPS switches in it, but I see it uses another type of switch entirely. (The stem is round, there is a thin spring in it, and the assembly seems to be one piece of plastic for all the keys, like some membrane keyboards; I'll need to look up what that keyboard used.) There were also two other keyboards for Macintoshes, one by Apple, and one by a third party, with numeric keypads and function keys, but they had no tactile feel at all, so I ignored them.

At the one next door, I bought a keyboard with the same 101-key but AT-style layout that I hated and still hate (backspace key in the wrong place) as the 99-cent keyboard that I bought yesterday. It set me back all of two dollars. It didn't seem to have much tactile feel, but I thought being an early keyboard it might be useful in some way. It was made in Taiwan.

The model number is 1KB101, although on the label in blue there are the much larger letters 1HB101. No manufacturer seems indicated.

A very pleasant surprise when I opened it up and took off some keycaps.

Double-shot molded keys. Cherry-style keyswitches (blue stems).

EDIT: I found a site with pictures of the key mechanism for the Apple Keyboard II, but it's in Korean. And from their pictures, apparently some keys do have ALPS mechanisms.

http://rasoyuz.tistory.com/51
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2009, 22:34:53 by quadibloc »

Offline skriefal

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 22:50:31 »
If that site is correct, then the Apple Keyboard II uses a mechanical module on top of a membrane.  The Cherry FTSC is similar.  Basically, imagine a rubber dome board but with the domes replaced by a plunger and spring.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 04:01:32 »
Quote from: quadibloc;112809
Yesterday, I noticed one keyboard for 99 cents in a thrift shop, and the keys seemed to have a nice feel, as well as being made of glossy ABS plastic, so I bought it. It turned out to be a rubber cone keyboard, but at least with individual cones for the keys, like a Keytronics, but with a crisper feel. (Strangely enough, though, the back of the keyboard internals clips on to a curved metal plate, giving much the same appearance as a Model M; the plastic case strongly resembles it as well.) This keyboard was made by the Japanese company Mitsumi.

Sounds like the buckling sleeves used in M4-1s.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 07:16:44 »
The Mitsumi keyboard is pictured in a few places;

http://jope.fi/c64t/

and on this page, which pictures a Japanese version of the Apple Keyboard II, the key and plunger are pictured:

http://park10.wakwak.com/~jpspace/key/kaitai_apple2.html

but the other keyboard I purchased the next day is what really astonishes me. The double-shot keys are similar to examples pictured here, with horizontal stripes on the inside, and it has other evidences of high-quality construction; the switches are mounted in a metal frame at the top, and many of the keys are on levellers.

So I will be simply cleaning and restoring it, rather than using it for parts. Possibly the lack of tactile feel means the switches are Hall effect even, as this keyboard in most respects seems like a computer keyboard from the era before the microprocessor took over.

Offline Keeblet

Need a specific answer to this whole cherry switches comparison
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 10:19:59 »
I use a Saitek Eclipse I.  Mentioning a keyboard like this would probably mean Gasp*! but as soon as the Otaku Cherry Blues come back, I am probably going to order one of those.  BUT, I do not know which cherry switch to choose anymore because I like things from each of the switches and I do not really want to buy a keyboard, return it, and try another one (They should really have demos placed @ local stores or something).  Cherry Blues sound AWESOME, they sound fun to type on, the little click after each stroke sounds cool, clicky clicky clicky is pretty cool in my book.  But I heard in some reviews, Cherry Blues are not good for fast paced games like UT3 cause you can't press the keys fast enough (???) and I thought if anything, mechanical keys were all faster than membrane (maybe except black) because the key registers ~ half way.  That made me lean towards Brown.  Browns seem cool but I really do not like the way it sounds and it seems as if I just laid a pinky on one of the keys, it would register.  Some say they are the best for gaming and typing which I plan to do since I do not want to really purchase two keyboards because of $ issues.  Now that moves onto Cherry Blacks because they are "stiff" (One gave a picture of two large springs, explaining it would feel like those to type on) but I do am going to be doing a decent amount of typing and obviously do not want it too stiff.  So if someone can bust out the myth on Cherry Blues cannot press keys too fast or isn't recommended for gaming, I would probably get the blues.  I don't really want to bottom out on a brown as there is no point if you can go silent but if there really is no tactile bump (or enough of it), I may end up hitting a key multiple times in a game because I registered half way and then bottomed out a few mile seconds later.  I would like something a little bit lighter than my Saitek Eclipse I right now but not too light where I may actually bottom out keys while playing (unless this is normal).  Sorry to sound like a pure scrub, still trying to learn all differences between switches and etc.  Thanks in advance if I do not reply quickly enough.

Offline Keeblet

(Tired after 8 pages) Cherry Blue v. Brown v. Black?
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 10:21:58 »
I use a Saitek Eclipse I.  Mentioning a keyboard like this would probably mean Gasp*! but as soon as the Otaku Cherry Blues come back, I am probably going to order one of those.  BUT, I do not know which cherry switch to choose anymore because I like things from each of the switches and I do not really want to buy a keyboard, return it, and try another one (They should really have demos placed @ local stores or something).  Cherry Blues sound AWESOME, they sound fun to type on, the little click after each stroke sounds cool, clicky clicky clicky is pretty cool in my book.  But I heard in some reviews, Cherry Blues are not good for fast paced games like UT3 cause you can't press the keys fast enough (???) and I thought if anything, mechanical keys were all faster than membrane (maybe except black) because the key registers ~ half way.  That made me lean towards Brown.  Browns seem cool but I really do not like the way it sounds and it seems as if i just laid a pinky on one of the keys, it would register.  Some say they are the best for gaming and typing which I plan to do since I do not want to really purchase two keyboards because of $ issues.  Now that moves onto Cherry Blacks because they are "stiff" (One gave a picture of two large springs, explaining it would feel like those to type on) but I do am going to be doing a decent amount of typing and obviously do not want it too stiff.  So if someone can bust out the myth on Cherry Blues cannot press keys too fast or isn't recommended for gaming, I would probably get the blues.  I don't really want to bottom out on a brown as there is no point if you can go silent but if there really is no tactile bump (or enough of it), I may end up hitting a key multiple times in a game because I registered half way and then bottomed out a few mile seconds later.  I would like something a little bit lighter than my Saitek Eclipse I right now but not light where I may actually bottom out keys while playing (unless this is normal).  Sorry to sound like a pure scrub, still trying to learn all differences between switches and etc.  Thanks in advance if I do not reply quickly enough.

Offline jkkhop

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:01:18 »
Quote from: Keeblet;124648
wall of text

I had the Cherry Browns before I got Blacks and I can tell you that Blacks are loads better for fast-paced fps gaming like Quake and UT. The higher resistance and linearity seems to make the keys bounce back faster after pressed and feel more responsive. Browns feel sloppy and you can hardly call them tactile, they are almost linear.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:03:21 by jkkhop »

Offline ironcoder

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:05:15 »
They feel sloppy how? I'm typing on one now and I don't feel any slop. slop slop slop. Nope, I don't feel any.

I do agree they feel pretty linear though the tactility seems to be there maybe from bottoming out.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline AndrewZorn

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:08:58 »
what about black vs topre (disregarding a preference for heaviness)

the brown i dont think is as suited for games as some say
and i dont want to get a keyboard with blacks JUST to play the occasional TF2 session

im not overly serious about the key quality for games specifically, but act like i am
why no topre?

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:20:38 »
Cherry browns are a very light switch that need an equally light touch to get the full effect.  If you are used to typing on heavier switches like BS, for example, then the Cherry browns will quite linear.  As your touch lightens, the tactile point becomes very apparent.  I also think that the Cherry-made 'boards with browns have a better tactile-feel than Cherry brown 'boards from other manufacturers (like Filco).  This is probably due to the different switch mounting and key cap material.

Offline wellington1869

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:28:43 »
Quote from: itlnstln;124662
I also think that the Cherry-made 'boards with browns have a better tactile-feel than Cherry brown 'boards from other manufacturers (like Filco).  This is probably due to the different switch mounting and key cap material.

i'm continually surprised at how much those things matter in the overall experience of a board, even with identical springs.  The difference between my TVS and my m10 really brought that out for me. Ie, it wasnt just an audio difference (like i've seen before), in this case it was a tactile difference too.

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:43:02 »
I think cerain plastics might be softer/harder than others and absorb more "shock" (read: feeling) than others. The same could be said for the materials used to mount the switches as well.

An example might be POM being harder than ABS, thus ABS absorbs some shock, therefore, the Cherry G80 (with POM caps) feels more tactile than the Filco (with ABS).

Offline Keeblet

I would really like to try out Realforces, etc...
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:48:31 »
Unfortunately, I can't really pay for that since $256 means a new gpu for me :D
Thing is though that I play a lot of Valve games, which do require some crouch jumping which hurts my poor little pinky on the Eclipse I after awhile.  I don't think L4D would really be fast paced when compared to a game like UT3 but I basically did not want any interruptions for any games I play if I am going to be purchasing a keyboard of this price.  My main concern was ghosting which many other "GAMINGGGG" Keyboards claim to have but are usually only placed around WASD and I was worried about any possible ghosting issues when buying a keyboard.  N-Key rollover with PS/2 pretty much solves that but then I just need to figure out which switch is best for me.  I personally would like to hear from someone who plays valve games and I don't know why I am so picky with the whole light on crouch jumping situation but that's just me I guess.  Would you say a game like L4D is as fast paced as UT3?  I think I would have gotten Black Linear Tenkeyless but I am going to be doing some typing too and not pure gaming.

Offline ironcoder

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:49:05 »
Yeah I have to say I'm not thrilled with the Filco keycaps and the spring sound is hollow and not very attractive. I agree they could be damped better. The sound seems to affect the overall experience more than most people would think. It probably also affects how we feel the keyboard whether it's tight, sloppy, etc. Reminds me of an M16 in some ways. It's odd because the housing is a brick $hithouse. It feels comfortingly solid.

Still it "types good" and is a dramatic improvement over what I was using.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:53:03 by ironcoder »

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:51:02 »
I find the Filco to sound kinda "ticky."   The Cherry has a nice, soft "thock" to it.  The Cherry has a much more pleasant sound.

Offline AndrewZorn

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:51:55 »
Quote from: Keeblet;124669
Unfortunately, I can't really pay for that since $256 means a new gpu for me :D
Thing is though that I play a lot of Valve games, which do require some crouch jumping which hurts my poor little pinky on the Eclipse I after awhile.  I don't think L4D would really be fast paced when compared to a game like UT3 but I basically did not want any interruptions for any games I play if I am going to be purchasing a keyboard of this price.  My main concern was ghosting which many other "GAMINGGGG" Keyboards claim to have but are usually only placed around WASD and I was worried about any possible ghosting issues when buying a keyboard.  N-Key rollover with PS/2 pretty much solves that but then I just need to figure out which switch is best for me.  I personally would like to hear from someone who plays valve games and I don't know why I am so picky with the whole light on crouch jumping situation but that's just me I guess.  Would you say a game like L4D is as fast paced as UT3?  I think I would have gotten Black Linear Tenkeyless but I am going to be doing some typing too and not pure gaming.

l4d is nowhere near as fast or demanding compared to UT/quake
its more a teamwork/experience type game

$250 on a GPU vs keyboard
most expensive GPU ive bought was $450
but even then
its worth $100 tops in 2yrs

$250 keyboard
seems to be worth $200 in 2yrs
and actually still works and is useful after 10yrs (+)

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 11:55:26 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;124672
$250 keyboard
seems to be worth $200 in 2yrs
and actually still works and is useful after 10yrs (+)

Depending on your level of keyboard addiction, you will probably only spend that $200 once compared to once a year for GPUs.

That said, a lot of people on GH have spent that kind of money on a variety of keyboards, so YMMV.

Offline JBert

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 12:16:00 »
Quote from: ripster;124675
I would just get the blues.  Really, almost any keyboard can be used for gaming unless you are a pro.  My son is top of the TF2 boards constantly (Ripster [ESG]) and  he uses a Unicomp Buckling Spring 2-key rollover board.  For gaming you want to spend a lot of time getting the right mouse.
And just to elaborate: most buckling spring keyboards are about as stiff as the blacks, yet you need to let the key rise a fair distance before it can be pressed again.

The blues can be pressed rapidly, it's just that you won't get a second tactile pulse because the "clicker" is still pressed down.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Keeblet

Nice replies guys
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 12:45:30 »
I used to play in a somewhat competitive TF2 scene, seeping into the edges of Cevo until my team died out because silly kids get phished, sigh*.  I was thinking of L4D being somewhat fast paced in versus where you need to do quick wall pounces but it's really more of a all around mouse control and keyboard thing.  And Ripster, I thought you said Reptile for a second haha (he's a pretty good soldier, dunno about now).  J Bert, are you referring to that the blue cherrys won't give a second clicky response because when you rapidly spam the blue cherry, you are bottoming them out?  I am assuming that the click is half way through, then from the half way point, you can continue to spam it till it bottoms out and coming back to the half way point still registers??  Gosh, I don't even know what I am saying anymore hahaha.  Also, does anyone have a Saitek Eclipse I and switched to a mechanical keyboard and can tell me the difference in the amount of force needed to press a key?  Thanks again all for the replies.

Offline AndrewZorn

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 12:48:05 »
i had an eclipse 1 for a couple weeks
returned it for the g15
which had a 'tighter' feel
so if a mechanical feels tighter than a g15
then the eclipse, without direct comparison, would be WAY softer/mushier

Offline Keeblet

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 13:12:34 »
Oh wow, I can't wait to try out a Filco, I guess these are really mushy.  Whoever made that comparison with the Filco being ticky and Cherry boards being thocky is actually pretty accurate hahahha