Author Topic: GMK Uniqey keyboards  (Read 1634824 times)

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
Re: GMK Uniqey keyboards
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 04:25:09 »
i got bad news for our wallets gents! :-/

in the latest answer on my question catalogue regarding the q100 i got the confirmation that it is possible to order "orange alphas with cyan legends, cyan modifiers with orange legends, and the esc and arrow buttons in even differen colors". all that in a black aluminum case with sidepanels of "interesting choices"... all that sounds really really awesome and im completely sold yet myself.... but it also sounds pricy as ****... my bet would be 250€+, if i had to guess that is
...oh an another info was that there the firmware will offer many ways of customization as well... i think he talked about makros but not sure :D

Show Image

250€+ ... so pricey :eek: It makes me pretty frustrated  :confused:
If your bet is right, the price of Q100 would be far higher than that of Cherry MX board 6.

BTW, I still wonder if QMX clip will work with MX switches mounted on a plate well or not.
Looking at QMX clip video, I guess a gap between a switch and the plate is needed to hook QMX clip to the sides of switch.

Anyway, always thanks for the info, Pedd  :thumb:
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 05:39:57 »
youre not the first one coming up with that concern...
just shot the guy at GMK that question

edit: got an instant answer this time... sadly as you already thought, the qmx clip has to cover the mx switch in a way that is not possible on platemounted switches :-/ thats a bummer for those only interested in the clip
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2015, 05:48:20 by Peddamann »

Offline luckyryan333

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 06:42:43 »

edit: got an instant answer this time... sadly as you already thought, the qmx clip has to cover the mx switch in a way that is not possible on platemounted switches :-/ thats a bummer for those only interested in the clip

Sigh. Actually I'm gonna cover mx blue 'clicky' switches with qmx clips in my keyboard, and then to type it at work 'loudly' as much as I like.
But my dream comes to nothing.  :(

If so, it does make sense to believe that there is not a plate within q100, doesn't it?
No PaiN, No GaiN
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 08:49:32 »
PCB mount master race

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 17:09:19 »
PCB mount master race

You just made that up just now, didn't you?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 17:40:36 »
250€ for a aluminium keyboard made by GMK with nice GMK keycaps, and you don't need to solder yourself.  That sounds like a good deal to me.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 07:20:51 »
PCB mount master race

You just made that up just now, didn't you?
PCB mount > plate

It feels softer and makes it easier to mod/replace switches. PCBs sometimes support more different layouts, but plates don't.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 14:50:29 »

Yesh, thats what I figured looking at the promotion video as well.

I guess they were aiming to make it easy to install/remove and therefore choose to go this route and made it PCB Mount only.
I feel like making complete switch tops including the QMX Clip feature would have been even better tbh. This would make it slightly harder to install, but would result in plate mount compatibility and you could still install on a PCB mount without desoldering switches...

PCB mount > plate

It feels softer and makes it easier to mod/replace switches. PCBs sometimes support more different layouts, but plates don't.

I don't mind PCB mount if its done right which I would expect on a PCB mount only design.
However on 60% PCBs mounting positions are located at pretty mixed locations, as a result from very limited space I guess, which could result in varying softness across the board.

I agree soft is a good thing, but the PCB should be properly designed for PCB mount .
(I personally consider poker as a Plate supported PCB mount rather then an actual Plate mount tbh. Feels to me like available PCB mounting positions weren't sufficient so they choose to go with plate support)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:04:03 »
They should launch these already, I can't wait :)

Wondering whether they also made the keyboards programmable, otherwise I guess I'm just interested in the keycaps
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 03:59:41 »
they should! im gifted to be one of those who will get a sample kit of the qmx clip. that kit shouldve arrived last week but they have a problem with one of their suppliers, so it will be shipped in this week... at least thats what my contact hopes! u wouldnt believe that GMK is such a small business after reading all those good things about the keycaps they make xD

Offline luckyryan333

« Reply #210 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 05:46:02 »

Wondering whether they also made the keyboards programmable, otherwise I guess I'm just interested in the keycaps

they should! im gifted to be one of those who will get a sample kit of the qmx clip. that kit shouldve arrived last week but they have a problem with one of their suppliers, so it will be shipped in this week... at least thats what my contact hopes! u wouldnt believe that GMK is such a small business after reading all those good things about the keycaps they make xD

FYI,

An another review seems to be ready very soon.

Click here!
No PaiN, No GaiN
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 06:11:40 »

FYI,

Click here!
Cool, someone finally bought keychatter, guess intelli won't be around anymore.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 06:50:18 »

FYI,

Click here!
Cool, someone finally bought keychatter, guess intelli won't be around anymore.

I spoke to intelli fairly recently and picked up a custom hard case and from the looks of it he is still active.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 16:43:10 »
Can't believe those are only for pcb mount, almost nobody like pcb mount :D
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 12:40:48 »
Wasn't Uniqey supposed to be already among us? Any news about them?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 13:04:27 »
I was just thinking about this a while ago, buying GMK keycaps seem questionable since it's unclear whether they will sell them freely and configurably

I gave up hope myself tho

I wonder how their new stabiliser design is like
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Prelim

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 17:35:36 »
no news?
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 03:33:31 »
no news?

Apparently not :(

I am also wondering why I didn't get the newsletter in march. I am pretty sure I subscribed before that date.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 11:07:12 »
I need your keyboard. And beautifully made keysets. With homing bars (at least that's what the picture on their site shows).

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 14:38:29 »
I need your keyboard. And beautifully made keysets. With homing bars (at least that's what the picture on their site shows).

I was also excited about getting a keyboard just for some custom keys, if they provide them

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:05:08 »

i got my test sample today... well my parents did xD... moved out 6 weeks ago and now i have to wait til saturday to get that package in my hands... asked my mom to open it :D

open box: http://imgur.com/a/ZKmzs/all

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:22:07 »
Show Image

i got my test sample today... well my parents did xD... moved out 6 weeks ago and now i have to wait til saturday to get that package in my hands... asked my mom to open it :D

open box: http://imgur.com/a/ZKmzs/all

nice!

do you have any relations to GMK or why did they send you a sample?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:30:35 »
those Q's ... mmm

Offline Prelim

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:33:59 »
how did you got that? I'm interested as well ;)
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #224 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:39:45 »
im german to begin with  ;) i also contacted them in february about their products and especially the uniqey... sadly i cant review it until saturday when my parents come to visit me... :(((

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #225 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 16:06:38 »
im german to begin with  ;) i also contacted them in february about their products and especially the uniqey... sadly i cant review it until saturday when my parents come to visit me... :(((

why don't you live with your parents goddammit

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 11:07:51 »

why don't you live with your parents goddammit

lol first time I've seen someone complain about someone on the internet not living with their parents.  :))

I wanna see a review too!  ;D

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 04:01:06 »
okay guys... parents just arrived... will soon give a first impression

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #228 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 04:13:15 »
What? No, YOU're supposed to visit your parents and bring tons of dirty laundry for your mother to do!

Damnit, you're doing this geek thing all wrong...

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #229 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 05:19:52 »
waring... big potato shots incoming!

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #230 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 05:24:13 »
Thanks for the photos

Is it mushy? How's the keypress experience?

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #231 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 05:28:15 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIq3U3wcwLg

made an even more professional video for sound comparison... its not mushy... the key travel is obviously not as long due to the height of the clip on the switch (1mm?) but overall i would describe the sound as a mix of topre and mx´... less click more thock

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #232 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 05:43:43 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIq3U3wcwLg

made an even more professional video for sound comparison... its not mushy... the key travel is obviously not as long due to the height of the clip on the switch (1mm?) but overall i would describe the sound as a mix of topre and mx´... less click more thock

wow they indeed sound great, now I wonder when these will be launched, goddamn you GMK, you disrupted keycap dynamics with your vague Uniqey project, now this unlaunched clip ...

luckily I enjoy the bottom down+up sounds, at least I tell myself that and believe it

Edit: Thanks a lot for the video, it was very definitive

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:06:34 »
Do I recall someone saying that these are PCB mount only (the clips)? That would be a bit disappointing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:09:09 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #234 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:10:43 »
Can't see why? They don't reach down far enough to touch the plate, do they?

Edit: Oh, they might... See this image: http://i.imgur.com/E6OUi6o.jpg

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:11:28 »
i can confirm that they are not compatible with platemounted switches... i tried :D u can see the reason one of the images (side view)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:13:43 »
i can confirm that they are not compatible with platemounted switches... i tried :D u can see the reason one of the images (side view)

Damn that sucks. I gave up on PCB mount boards ages ago.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #237 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:16:05 »
Could you do it again and this time, release the key faster so that we could hear how ti dampens the sound on topping up?

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #238 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 06:26:04 »
Could you do it again and this time, release the key faster so that we could hear how ti dampens the sound on topping up?

livingspeedbump will post a comparison sooner or later... hes much more experienced than i am in testing mechs... i can confirm that there IS a noticable dampening in the "topping up"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #239 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 07:47:54 »
That is great news. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks! :)

Offline luckyryan333

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 18:41:14 »

livingspeedbump will post a comparison sooner or later... hes much more experienced than i am in testing mechs... i can confirm that there IS a noticable dampening in the "topping up"

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72424.msg1861827#msg1861827
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2015, 19:47:21 by luckyryan333 »
No PaiN, No GaiN
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #241 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 12:38:21 »
…aaand the clips are on Massdrop. Lowest possible price: $23 for 110 pieces + shipping + import tax in my case. EU distributor wanted.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #242 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 12:44:34 »
…aaand the clips are on Massdrop. Lowest possible price: $23 for 110 pieces + shipping + import tax in my case. EU distributor wanted.

pfffffssssstttt massdrop .... hate massdrop beyond imagination

if gmk reads this thread by any chance, would love to buy some of these clips from mechanicalkeyboards.com - no need to make people suffer and deal with massdrop

Edit: as clarification, not going to buy them from MD by any chance

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 02:28:59 »
man this tool need to be made for plate mount, only thing I'm worried though if it shortens travel distance too much
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 03:02:57 »
Feel free to correct me but it looks like the sides of the clips are completely open?  Therefore it should be possible to design a new plate cutout that only holds the switches on the sides (between the tabs so still removable tops) - would that be enough to give the benefits of plate mount?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 03:07:06 »
Wouldn't it be easier to modify the clips rather than the plate?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 03:15:40 »
Hard to say without seeing one in person but it looks like they clip over the edge of the switch and the plate would get in the way of that.  If they don't attach somehow they'll rattle and won't dampen the upstroke so the only other way to do it would be to cut them down and glue them to the switch top.  Great if you like them, but not much fun if you don't!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 03:31:34 »

I have the clips, and they are wonderful. I'll repost the video soon. Meanwhile you can find it in the comment section of mass drop.

I'm thinking of getting another set. Yes. They are that wonderful.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 October 2015, 03:34:05 by Giorgio »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 03:49:55 »
Hard to say without seeing one in person but it looks like they clip over the edge of the switch and the plate would get in the way of that.  If they don't attach somehow they'll rattle and won't dampen the upstroke so the only other way to do it would be to cut them down and glue them to the switch top.  Great if you like them, but not much fun if you don't!
I said modify, not cut i half and glue the rest. I expect this community to be a little more inventive than that :)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 05:43:13 »
Just to let you know that I've been told that something will move. The most ambitious projects have not been erased.