Author Topic: Saturday morning eBay finds...  (Read 2309 times)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
I may buy this one for the name alone...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 11:01:43 »
The Turbo-XWing is a rubber dome if I ever saw one.

I wonder if that split keyboard is rubber dome...it probably is.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline rdh

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 12:16:59 »
Quote from: timw4mail;119223
I wonder if that split keyboard is rubber dome...it probably is.

I peeked quickly at the web site, but didn't see any information on the switch type used.

My impression of that board (having never used one) is that they went too far with the split-keyboard concept.  Instead of stressing your wrists by laying them flat, you stress them by twisting them the other way instead.

Also, having to reach around the vertical parts of the keyboard to reach the arrow cluster or the numpad seems like it'd be really clumsy.

The board, however, does provide wing mirrors so you can inspect your manicure while you type.
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 15:17:00 »
DAMMIT!!!!! haahaa
I was going to post a turbo x-wing one ( I think I have two)
ya beat me to it =P

With a name like that though, it stood little chance of living up to it. However it did have this odd split "riser/stand" for the rear feet. Maybe inspiration for the name yes/no? haahaa
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 23:47:01 »
Quote from: rdh;119237

My impression of that board (having never used one) is that they went too far with the split-keyboard concept.  Instead of stressing your wrists by laying them flat, you stress them by twisting them the other way instead.

There's no stress in having your wrists in that position; however, it's possible that vertical typing produces different kinds of strain that will get you just the same as typing with your palms down. Your wrists are actually more natural in that position than they'd be for the slightly inclined ergonomic keyboards. Your joints are usually the most natural halfway between both end ranges.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray