Author Topic: Replicating the HHKB Spacebar Sound  (Read 1106 times)

Offline septamber

• * Destiny Supporter
Replicating the HHKB Spacebar Sound
« on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 22:03:58 »
Recently got a HHKB and fell in love with the sound of the modifier keys, especially the space bar. However I'm not a big fan of the layout as going back to normal keyboards is a typo nightmare.

Is there any way to make the spacebar on a RF 87 have the same satisfying thunk sound? I'm thinking maybe trying landing pads or lube? Thanks! :thumb:

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Replicating the HHKB Spacebar Sound
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 14:25:51 »
Just hit the spacebar harder.  :p

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 17:17:06 »
Actually, I'm surprised more people don't rhapsodize about specific key sounds, rather than the topre *thock* in general. Spacebar, LCtrl and LShift on the HHKB all have very nice tones.

Don't have an RF in front of me, but I believe it has the same spacebar spring as the HHKB, yes? Probably then, outside of extensive mods, the sound is unrecreatable - it's just a result of the HHKB's odd acoustic factors - the case-mounted switches, the plastic used throughout, the largely hollow case with an off-center controller board...

If your main concern is switching between keyboards, you should get used to it quickly. I find that I'll make about two errant keypresses and then be fine for the rest of the day.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 17:40:01 »
"Recently" being how long? If I were you I'd give it time, man. I'll be honest, I learned the layout quickly and loved it. I'm a heavy shortcut user on Windows and Ubuntu.

Have you messed with the DIP switches?
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE