Author Topic: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards  (Read 147333 times)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: [IC] CNC Corian/Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:10:30 »
Please block the right menu key, not the right winkey, as makes it impossible to use with an 86u.

Perhaps this might be a compromise solution. It provides that WKL look for 87U users, would have a nice symmetry (1u blockers, each the same distance from their closest key boundary), and would be compatible with both models.

Would be absolutely amazing

Mockup:

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #351 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:12:23 »
Please block the right menu key, not the right winkey, as makes it impossible to use with an 86u.

Perhaps this might be a compromise solution. It provides that WKL look for 87U users, would have a nice symmetry (1u blockers, each the same distance from their closest key boundary), and would be compatible with both models.

Mockup:

Show Image

87U folks could also swap that right winkey with their context menu button if they preferred.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #352 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:13:05 »

Mockup:

Show Image

+1 thx DG

Offline avid

« Reply #353 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:17:13 »
One idea is to sell single unit blockers, like Duck has done with the Lightsaver 2.
This way everyone can config it the way they want.

http://duck0113.tistory.com/68

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:18:46 by avid »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:30:31 »
One idea is to sell single unit blockers, like Duck has done with the Lightsaver 2.

I would also be totally open to something like this. Let me know what you guys think.

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #355 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:32:39 »
Does anyone know if UK model 88U would fit this case?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline avid

« Reply #356 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:34:34 »
I really like the single-blocker units and would prefer that if it was possible.

Offline Auk

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:35:07 »
Blockers integrated into the case are much prettier...

Also, more color matching issues with anodizing?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #358 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:36:19 »

I would assume so based on how the keys are configured, but I could say with greater certainty if you could send me a pic of the plate.

Offline avid

« Reply #359 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:36:53 »

If everyone had a RF86 that would be a better idea, but the reality is most people got the 87 version. This way everyone can config the way they want.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #360 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:37:02 »

I agree with your first statement but we may have to compromise if everybody wants different things. Yes, absolutely, anodizing would be much trickier with the blockers as separate parts. It would be slightly better since I'll only be offering clear Type II and Type III colors, which don't use dye.

Offline fine_italian_leather

Re: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #361 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:45:03 »
I agree that having the WKL version of the case block the left windows key and the right menu key on a 87u seems like the best option.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:47:17 by fine_italian_leather »

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:47:28 »

I would assume so based on how the keys are configured, but I could say with greater certainty if you could send me a pic of the plate.

Thanks Ryan, don't own one... yet, but thinking on it just because of this case. Checking Keyboardco but it's so expensive... By now I only have a novatouch waiting for your R2 case 🤤

Does anyone own a 88U?

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline Auk

« Reply #363 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:53:24 »
re 91u JIS layout: are the Win keys on that model in the same place as the 86u?

I can certainly see the need to compromise somewhere, and some people will be disappointed for sure, but as I see it this case is exceptional, so 'cheap' solutions are maybe not the way to go.

Noted the comments on popularity of 86u, is it even available to buy new anywhere? I think if the 91u doesn't line up with the 86u, then I would maybe lean toward building the WKL design around the 87u/88u as those are the keyboards that are available.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #364 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:56:06 »

Perhaps this might be a compromise solution. It provides that WKL look for 87U users, would have a nice symmetry (1u blockers, each the same distance from their closest key boundary), and would be compatible with both models. (This is all assuming that the 86u even has the same plate as the 87u and is thus compatible with my case in the first place, of course.)

I can snap some pics of the PCB tomorrow (86u) if you'd like, just let me know.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:57:50 by dgneo »

Offline avid

« Reply #365 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 19:06:14 »
re 91u JIS layout: are the Win keys on that model in the same place as the 86u?

I can certainly see the need to compromise somewhere, and some people will be disappointed for sure, but as I see it this case is exceptional, so 'cheap' solutions are maybe not the way to go.

Noted the comments on popularity of 86u, is it even available to buy new anywhere? I think if the 91u doesn't line up with the 86u, then I would maybe lean toward building the WKL design around the 87u/88u as those are the keyboards that are available.

86 was last sold in dec 2013. 91u seems to have the same layout as 86 for the three keys on each side.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 19:50:44 »

I would also be totally open to something like this. Let me know what you guys think.

I hate single unit blockers with a passion.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 19:52:20 »

Agreed, its either all in or all out. I think that the method DGNEO provided, that accommodates both the 86u and 87u is the most logical thing to do.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 19:55:02 »

Agreed, its either all in or all out. I think that the method DGNEO provided, that accommodates both the 86u and 87u is the most logical thing to do.

I would say that option remains my favorite as well. Is there anyone who doesn't like that solution (i.e., 1u blockers each spaced 1.5u from the bottom-right and bottom-left of the QWERTY region)?

Offline Auk

« Reply #369 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 20:35:56 »
I would say that option remains my favorite as well. Is there anyone who doesn't like that solution (i.e., 1u blockers each spaced 1.5u from the bottom-right and bottom-left of the QWERTY region)?

This is an interesting solution, I don't hate it,* but symmetry around the spacebar is more attractive.

177572-0

Before making a final decision I'd very much want to know with high confidence how many people want winkeyless for the 86u/91u. If serious demand isn't there I would accommodate the 87u/88u with the best possible version for those layouts.

EDIT: *I don't hate it, but I don't think I'd buy it either.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 September 2017, 09:14:20 by Auk »

Offline avid

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 20:43:57 »
Is single unit blockers something that could be produced alongside offering the WKL version?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #371 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 20:58:03 »
OK, for everyone interested in a WKL option, please take this survey. This should help clarify matters.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:07:37 »
Went to go fill it, but now I don't know what I want. I ended up picking WKL around QWERTY, but the blockers are fine too.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #373 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 22:32:42 »
Even though I prefer wkl centered around spacebar visually, I voted for centered on qwerty because I actually use Windows key for shortcuts and this board idmt programmable to swap it to menu key. And I'd rather not map is in the os since I use multiple boards and don't want menu as win in all.
keyboards.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 23:15:31 »
I prefer centered around Space, but would buy any, EXCEPT the version with the 2U on the right.

I generally still prefer 3 keys to the right of Space to give myself options (generally used as a couple FN keys and an Apps/Menu key).

Offline FSund

« Reply #375 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 00:22:02 »

Thanks Ryan, don't own one... yet, but thinking on it just because of this case. Checking Keyboardco but it's so expensive... By now I only have a novatouch waiting for your R2 case 🤤

Does anyone own a 88U?

Thanks!

I have a 88UB, I could try to get some photos of the PCB, if I can coerce my wife to get her to bring it back from her office..!

How do I go about opening up the case? I've never done it, but I guess I should start practicing for when the Norbauer case is ready.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline FSund

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 07:26:41 »

Does anyone own a 88U?

Thanks!

I have a 88UB, I could try to get some photos of the PCB, if I can coerce my wife to get her to bring it back from her office..!

How do I go about opening up the case? I've never done it, but I guess I should start practicing for when the Norbauer case is ready.

I found some images in an old GH thread, and there are some (off-angle) shots of the PCB in the beginning of this video. Does that help? If not I'll try to get some pictures of the PCB this weekend.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 08:59:41 »
Even though I prefer wkl centered around spacebar visually, I voted for centered on qwerty because I actually use Windows key for shortcuts and this board idmt programmable to swap it to menu key. And I'd rather not map is in the os since I use multiple boards and don't want menu as win in all.

Same here, I need just one Winkey for shortcuts - but also like the integrated blockers.
Centered on qwerty is ideal.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 09:38:22 »
filled out the survey, thanks for giving us a chance to vote!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #379 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 09:53:32 »
Filled out, thanks for the vote!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:06:12 »
I went to fill out the survey and then realized I really don't want to sway it one way or the other b/c I'm not sure I'll do WKL in the end.  On the fence :(

Offline avid

« Reply #381 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:10:02 »
I went to fill out the survey and then realized I really don't want to sway it one way or the other b/c I'm not sure I'll do WKL in the end.  On the fence :(

If you're on the fence - wouldn't single blocker units be the best idea? That way you can config it as you want and run WKL or WK as you like.
This also makes production easier - since he just has to do one version (WK) + single unit blockers as separates.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #382 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:13:48 »
This is only my opinion but I find the single blocker units to be quite hideous.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #383 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:15:39 »
This is only my opinion but I find the single blocker units to be quite hideous.

Don't you dare lad

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #384 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:23:16 »

If you're on the fence - wouldn't single blocker units be the best idea? That way you can config it as you want and run WKL or WK as you like.
This also makes production easier - since he just has to do one version (WK) + single unit blockers as separates.

I understand you would like removable blockers, but TBH how would this even be implemented? a plastic clip on to the plate with an aluminum cover? something mounted on the side wall of the case?

I for one would not like a case with holes ( if he does one universal design to accomadate removable blockers and none ) if was to purchace a traditional layout.

Why are you so into removable blockers, seems ghetto.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #385 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:26:24 »
Removable blockers are hideous.
keyboards.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #386 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:37:20 »

Shut ur **** mouth

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #387 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:39:01 »

+1

Traditional blocker placement should be the only option, anything else is just a compromise not worth taking.

Offline avid

« Reply #388 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:46:52 »

I understand you would like removable blockers, but TBH how would this even be implemented? a plastic clip on to the plate with an aluminum cover? something mounted on the side wall of the case?

I for one would not like a case with holes ( if he does one universal design to accomadate removable blockers and none ) if was to purchace a traditional layout.

Haha, it's a small trade-of in terms of look, but a huge step up overall.

You remove the Sliders and there is a screw from the bottom holding the blocker in place.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #389 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:49:36 »

You remove the Sliders and there is a screw from the bottom holding the blocker in place.

Is there an image in that link I am not seeing of the mounting style? looks bad tbh

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #390 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:49:51 »

Yup those look gross.
keyboards.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #391 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 10:52:14 »

+1

Traditional blocker placement should be the only option, anything else is just a compromise not worth taking.

yeah it's honestly looks like too much of a cost cut for something premium like this

fwiw, i wouldn't personally be opting for a WKL in any form with a RF except in the case of an 86U. otherwise the non-parallelism just looks wonky

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #392 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 11:34:58 »
I would definitely be interested in this if it fits the 88UB as well.  ;D
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #393 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 11:47:23 »

Does anyone own a 88U?

Thanks!

I found some images in an old GH thread, and there are some (off-angle) shots of the PCB in the beginning of this video. Does that help? If not I'll try to get some pictures of the PCB this weekend.

Thanks for finding these links. The overall PCB and plate profile look identical to me, so I would assume the 88 would fit in the same case as an 87. If anybody wants to loan me one for a day or two to test, I'm happy to confirm for certain.

Offline FSund

« Reply #394 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 01:34:38 »
Thanks for finding these links. The overall PCB and plate profile look identical to me, so I would assume the 88 would fit in the same case as an 87. If anybody wants to loan me one for a day or two to test, I'm happy to confirm for certain.
Here are some pictures I shot yesterday (with my phone, sorry!), although I'm not sure if they are of any further help. http://imgur.com/a/cLCWR

I hope you're able to borrow a keyboard to confirm, although I'm probably ordering a case even if you are unable to confirm beforehand.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #395 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 03:55:39 »
In case the pictures above aren't of high enough quality, let me know. I can take some with my DSLR if need be.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #396 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 14:27:53 »
Those pictures strongly suggest to me that the board would be compatible with my case. It has all the critical features (PCB cutout, plate tabs, etc.) and they appear to be in the right spots. I suspect that Topre uses the same plate and housing for all (or at least most) of their TKL boards.

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #397 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 17:10:03 »
An 88u is one of the only realforces I've not had.  The bottom row is the critical part, and it is identical to an 87u so there should be no issues with both the blocked and non-blocked cases.  In the situation a case with blockers is desired, Every bottom row layout works as well.

Here's an 87u with blockers

and here is an 86u with blockers.

An 89u and 91u JIS board will work with blockers as well as I pulled this case from a JIS 89u, and should be viable on the 88u as well.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #398 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 19:19:54 »
I can't fathom why anyone with an 87U would want to go Winkeyless. It just ruins the clean aesthetic for me and makes the keyboard less functional in pursuit of ... what.. ? A vintage look? That whole notion seems to clash with the space grey anodizing, which is clean and futuristic (although I suppose now it is just a standard thanks to Apple). Winkeyless takes the clean rectangular lines of the main keycluster and turns it into something like space invaders. That look is better suited to a vintage-looking powdercoat or a beige Model M. To me is just just looks weird on a tenkleyless board. The Windows key is very useful once you have all the macros down, and it can be remapped for a million different functional uses for folks who don't use windows. Keycaps seem readily available to change up look, so what are some of the reasons folks prefer Winkeyless? Is it really for the looks? Is there a functional reason or is it nostalgia?
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2017, 19:24:13 by amoswetherbee »

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #399 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 19:48:47 »
I don't get the WKL thing either, It's really just for looks. I use my Windows keys all the time, I use the menu/context key all the time. Why get rid of useful keys?