Author Topic: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards  (Read 147281 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #400 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 19:51:34 »
The WKL top, still in the air as far as design, will be an option. If you don't desire it, simply don't choose it. You can still have the regular version without any blockers.  We CAN all get along.  Well... except for a few of us. But those people are usually in the off-topic forums  :cool:

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #401 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 19:56:38 »
I'm not trying to be critical, I just want to understand the reasoning or thought process.

I have no problem with blockers, but people are also proposing building them into the case which would require completely different machining. Is there really that much of a market to make that profitable?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #402 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 20:55:03 »
I'm not trying to be critical, I just want to understand the reasoning or thought process.

I have no problem with blockers, but people are also proposing building them into the case which would require completely different machining. Is there really that much of a market to make that profitable?

The extra top option (and to be truthful, I do not wish to have the blockers) shouldn't effect the cost of the case for anyone who wants the regular version. It will be a more expensive option.  Similar to how he ran the buys for the cm cases, where the premium finishes cost a lot more. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2018, 16:54:20 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #403 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 21:40:09 »
Then don't get them. People want options.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #404 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 21:46:28 »
Sometimes I love this community because just when I think I have it figured out, something comes out of left field that I still don't understand. I never realized winkeyless was a thing that anyone would desire. Since it threatens to make this project take longer than it already has I'm just wondering what the appeal is. I'm genuinely asking to better understand people's motivations.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2017, 21:57:12 by amoswetherbee »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #405 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 22:48:18 »
It's not about not getting 1u blockers if you don't want them. It's about voicing an opinion that build in wkl blockers are our preference. I doubt he's going to offer both options, so we're just voicing an opinion.
keyboards.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #406 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 23:02:32 »
It's not about not getting 1u blockers if you don't want them. It's about voicing an opinion that build in wkl blockers are our preference. I doubt he's going to offer both options, so we're just voicing an opinion.

Can I ask why you like winkeyless? That's really my question. Is it because you've owned similar keyboards? Is is a functional preference or an aesthetic one? Is there a unix vs. windows aspect to it? Or is it a gamer thing? I do remember hating accidentally hitting the winkey when I was playing old games.

Offline nightsense

« Reply #407 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 00:32:45 »
For me, functional+aesthetic. The winkeys (and menu key) are the only keys I never use (I'm on Linux mostly and just never found the need for an extra mod key), so it's nice to eliminate accidental presses and strip away functionless (for me) interface components. So a winkeyless option would be ideal for me (but I'll be getting a case either way).

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #408 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 05:08:03 »
I use both the menu and winkeys quite a lot so I'm also hoping for a top without the blockers.

I do like the look of having them blocked though, especially centered around the spacebar for symmetry.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #409 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 07:34:55 »
WKL is purely for the looks, but damn if that doesn't look sexy.

I remap my boards so that Ctrl is where Capslock is normally and Windows key moves to the place where Ctrl was. So I am not losing any functionality.

Do we have here so many cholerics who need Capslock readily available at any second? :))

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #410 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 13:36:56 »
There will definitely be a standard non-blocker version, don't worry about that. Offering it is just a way of indulging a niche aesthetic preference, which, although I don't personally share it, is very much the whole point of projects like this for me: to make wacky, extravagant products a reality that would never happen otherwise, and to please my keyboard pals. I'm too addicted to modifier keys and shortcuts to forgo my Winkey (or, rather, in my case, the Apple meta key), but I do kind of dig the retro aesthetic, and just the pure nerdiness of it.

Whenever I'm puzzled by some form of human behavior, I find it helpful to think of it in evolutionary terms: perhaps winkey blockers are like the peacock's tail, a resource-costly form of masculine signaling--as if to say, "I'm so reproductively fit, I can get work done without even needing two of my modifier keys."

Thought of another way, it's also like riding one's bike without touching the handlebars: not strictly speaking a good idea, but still kind of cool anyway. :D

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #411 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 11:13:57 »
First the Novatouch case, then the TKL bag, now this!
Are you really trying to take all my money?  ;D

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #412 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:51:05 »
So was the final answer centered on QWERTY? Because I'm soon an owner of an 89U.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #413 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 20:05:36 »
So was the final answer centered on QWERTY? Because I'm soon an owner of an 89U.

Alas, the survey data showed a toss-up between centered on spacebar and centered on alpha borders. I think I'm probably going with the latter, merely because it ensures most universal compatibility, but I'm still doing a bit of R&D on the subject and will report back. :)

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #414 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 20:13:46 »

Alas, the survey data showed a toss-up between centered on spacebar and centered on alpha borders. I think I'm probably going with the latter, merely because it ensures most universal compatibility, but I'm still doing a bit of R&D on the subject and will report back. :)

Haha, I actually think centered on spacebar isn't compatible with the 89U at all. Where the blockers already exist would cause me to have a completely borked bottom row, so you may be right RE: compatability.

BTW, I was hoping to get a really textured white on this upcoming realforce case. Something like enigma black but white? Is that possible at your current shop, Ryan? If not, what white textures can they make?

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #415 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 09:17:29 »
Do we have any sort of date on when a gb for these will be run yet? Or an estimate? I can't wait

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #416 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 09:17:44 »

Aww yisssssssss

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #417 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 16:00:57 »
So maybe a weird question but when do you think this will run, Ryan?

It's starting to look close to Christmas time so maybe letting us know in advance that Christmas season will be a few hundred dollars more expensive would be a cool idea. :P

Offline pvd

« Reply #418 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 21:46:20 »
My b if this was answered earlier in the thread, but would this case fit a 91U JIS realforce?

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #419 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 22:43:26 »
So by the way; WKL realforces (like the 89u JIS) have a PCB that supports the missing keys:

But they don't have a plate cutout for the missing key (so blockers not centered on qwerty would actually cause a complete misalignment of the bottom row.

Offline consolation

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 22:52:01 »
My b if this was answered earlier in the thread, but would this case fit a 91U JIS realforce?

Yes, all RF TKLs use same PCB (as far as is known), just the plate has different holes cut out. My 87u had a PCB that could accommodate JIS switches in theory. So, should work with all RF TKLs of the old design, I'm not sure about the new RGB ones.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 22:55:23 »

Yes, all RF TKLs use same PCB (as far as is known), just the plate has different holes cut out. My 87u had a PCB that could accommodate JIS switches in theory. So, should work with all RF TKLs of the old design, I'm not sure about the new RGB ones.
Phew! You're some consolation!

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #422 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 10:47:43 »
Any chance for a nameplate on these? We have such a big bezel and would love to be able to have a little customization.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #423 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 10:49:06 »
Any chance for a nameplate on these? We have such a big bezel and would love to be able to have a little customization.

As in: a customized plate with the engraved name of the owner?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #424 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 10:51:09 »
Yessir! maybe where the orig realforce logo is, or above the prtscrn cluster - a little plaque type thing?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #425 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 10:56:17 »
Yessir! maybe where the orig realforce logo is, or above the prtscrn cluster - a little plaque type thing?

I had previously thought about adding some kind of optional branding plate (as an aesthetic nod to the awesome IBM branding plates that used to be on their mainframes), but I think doing custom nameplates would be more one-off work than this particular machine shop is willing to arrange. Still, there is nothing to prevent someone getting his or her own made and gluing it in place.

I decided against the branding plate too, because a) it just seems vain to put my name/"brand" on something so prominently and b) I think I'd prefer to preserve the clean futuristic lines of the case itself without cluttering it up with anything else.

Offline salvanipour

« Reply #426 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 10:57:50 »

As in: a customized plate with the engraved name of the owner?

Now THIS is an excellent idea.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #427 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 10:58:27 »

I had previously thought about adding some kind of optional branding plate (as an aesthetic nod to the awesome IBM branding plates that used to be on their mainframes), but I think doing custom nameplates would be more one-off work than this particular machine shop is willing to arrange. Still, there is nothing to prevent someone getting his or her own made and gluing it in place.

I decided against the branding plate too, because a) it just seems vain to put my name/"brand" on something so prominently and b) I think I'd prefer to preserve the clean futuristic lines of the case itself without cluttering it up with anything else.

Great answer, and not a disappointment - still v excited for this to come into GB status :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #428 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:00:44 »
Thanks for understanding. If significant people want individualized nameplates after the main run, I could maybe work with folks to find a shop that is willing to do more one-off type work to do customized name plates. The prototyping shop that I work with would probably do it, but I'd expect they'd be kind of expensive.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #429 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:07:27 »
Oh, incidentally, by way of an UPDATE. :)

I got samples back from the California factory yesterday. Overall, they look fantastic, but I noticed a couple of areas where the tooling marks were still slightly visible. They seemed reassuringly mortified when I pointed this out and are re-working the samples right now to fix that issue. They have also promised that there will not be any such marks in production. (They're actually ordering some huge custom-made chamfer end mills to avoid it.) I figure I'll wait until the fixed samples are back before doing proper photos of them, but in general they look fantastic, and I especially like the color and look of the hard anodized cases. They have more of a matte look than I've seen on anodized parts in the past, which I think suits the design very well. In the right light, the Type II anodized case can even almost pass for white Corian. ;)

Assuming we get these final production issues ironed out, there's really not anything stopping me from proceeding with the group buy within the next 2-3 weeks. (It should only take that long because I want to get a sample powder coated too.) Because we have to get PCBs, cables, connectors, and aluminum parts with two kinds of anodizing and powder coat options, this one will probably take a bit longer to manufacture than your average case, but in terms of what we need for me to feel comfortable starting a GB, I think we're almost there. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:09:03 by norbauer »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #430 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:23:58 »
I'm feeling mighty toasty.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #431 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:29:04 »
Nameplates sounds like a bad idea.

It would be cool to have the Realforce plaque thing at the top though. And then it leaves the option for people to create their own silly nameplates if they really want them.

Like this:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #432 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:31:36 »
The sooner the better. Gotta beat the competition to the market!  ;D

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91697.0;topicseen

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:36:43 »
Also will the name be Norbaforce or Realbauer? ;)

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #434 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:37:44 »
The sooner the better. Gotta beat the competition to the market!  ;D

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91697.0;topicseen

I mean, i already wrote that off, no way i am getting into a 30 spot sale...

Offline salvanipour

« Reply #435 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:38:30 »

This literally made me lol. I'm game for either and I can't believe this is coming to fruition so soon.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #436 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:44:08 »
Oh, incidentally, by way of an UPDATE. :)

I got samples back from the California factory yesterday. Overall, they look fantastic, but I noticed a couple of areas where the tooling marks were still slightly visible. They seemed reassuringly mortified when I pointed this out and are re-working the samples right now to fix that issue. They have also promised that there will not be any such marks in production. (They're actually ordering some huge custom-made chamfer end mills to avoid it.) I figure I'll wait until the fixed samples are back before doing proper photos of them, but in general they look fantastic, and I especially like the color and look of the hard anodized cases. They have more of a matte look than I've seen on anodized parts in the past, which I think suits the design very well. In the right light, the Type II anodized case can even almost pass for white Corian. ;)

Assuming we get these final production issues ironed out, there's really not anything stopping me from proceeding with the group buy within the next 2-3 weeks. (It should only take that long because I want to get a sample powder coated too.) Because we have to get PCBs, cables, connectors, and aluminum parts with two kinds of anodizing and powder coat options, this one will probably take a bit longer to manufacture than your average case, but in terms of what we need for me to feel comfortable starting a GB, I think we're almost there. :)

Thank you for the update!! I love the fact that they are purchasing custom chamfer tooling specifically for these cases. Sounds baller :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #437 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:46:02 »

I was actually thinking of calling it the CaliForce case, since it's made right here in Silicon Valley. :) The company that's machining them does work for places like NASA and Tesla.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #438 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:47:24 »
Do we know yet what the cost will be for these?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #439 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 11:47:37 »

I was actually thinking of calling it the CaliForce case, since it's made right here in Silicon Valley. :) The company that's machining them does work for places like NASA and Tesla.

CaliForce has a great ring to it. 'murica

Offline norbauer

« Reply #440 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 12:15:49 »
Do we know yet what the cost will be for these?

I've seen some ballpark numbers, but actually still haven't gotten the final quote so I'm hesitant to give any specific numbers yet for fear of being wrong. I expect to have the final factory quote within the next week or so. The reason I did a short sample run with the workshop is that we're looking for ways to optimize the machining to bring the cost down, and they said they couldn't give me an absolutely definite best price until they'd actually gone through the process of making a few. They've now collected those data, and I'm currently reducing the number of tabs on the back plate and the rubber foot pockets and making some other changes that won't have any affect on the look of the case, but which should help shave costs a bit.

Making it in America rather than China certainly makes things more non-trivially more expensive, but I wanted to experiment with doing a sort of "premium" case since this design is for my all-time favorite keyboard. While more expensive, it allows me to keep a closer eye on QC by doing in-person visits to the factory. They'll also be fabricated using a much higher-tech toolchain, better CNC machines, etc., than were used on my Novatouch cases.

Heh. So, yeah, that's a long way of saying I don't yet know what the price is going to be but my general feeling can probably be summed up as "kind of expensive, but better than you'd guess for something made in the high-tech capital of the US where real estate and cost-of-living are higher than almost anywhere else in the world." ;) And I'm doing my best to try to chisel the price down with the factory right now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 September 2017, 12:17:23 by norbauer »

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #441 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 12:18:09 »
dude! i am so excited. it is my favorite board as well. I own 3 55g 87u's
Been dreaming of a day this would happen. THANK YOU!!!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #442 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 12:19:20 »
Nice! I appreciate you trying to make it as inexpensive as possible, without crossing the line over into "cheap" territory.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #443 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 13:21:12 »
Thanks for the update.

I can't wait for this!  :-X
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline avid

« Reply #444 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 13:34:09 »
What kind of colors do you plan to offer?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #445 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 13:34:33 »
Califorce would work.  Although it has 3 syllables instead of 2 like the original and kinda reminds me of cauliflower.  ValleyForce?  SiliconForce?  NorForce?  I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever it's called...  Especially if you call it BoobForce.  I bet BoobForce would win in a strawpoll.  :cool:

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #446 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 14:54:38 »
Forcy McForceface

Offline norbauer

« Reply #447 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 17:22:53 »
Forcy McForceface

Now that's a good option.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #448 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 18:01:58 »
Everyone calls the other one for CoolerMaster cases the "Norbatouch" case, could go with "Norbaforce"

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #449 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 18:38:20 »
The company that's machining them does work for places like NASA and Tesla.

(✧⌄✧ʃƪ)⁎⁺˳✧༚
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb