Author Topic: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards  (Read 146294 times)

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
[IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #500 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 02:16:47 »
Im in, hopefully it will drop just in time for Christmas. I already picked up a novatouch to harvest from specifically when this drop happens.. Lets GO!!!! **Excited**

You must be joking. It's 6 months since Norbatouch r2 started and still some cases did not arrive (like mine, although this one is admittedly very close).
Lmao there's always next year amiright

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #501 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 15:27:38 »
Im in, hopefully it will drop just in time for Christmas. I already picked up a novatouch to harvest from specifically when this drop happens.. Lets GO!!!! **Excited**

You must be joking. It's 6 months since Norbatouch r2 started and still some cases did not arrive (like mine, although this one is admittedly very close).

Yes, DillonHighsmith, did you mean the drop would start in time for Christmas, or the case would be delivered by then? If the former, that's very likely, if the latter, considerably less so. :D This project is more complex and has more components than my Novatouch cases, so I plan to set a longer expected manufacturing time on it.

However, I would have to say that child's comment is maybe not entirely relevant since Norbatouch r2 was dogged by several anodizing issues around the gray and blue Pantone matches, problems I will be avoiding like the plague for the RealForce case project by offering only silver (Type II) and black (Type III) anodized finishes. But Norbatouch r1, which didn't have the exotic anodizing colors, actually was produced and shipped in under 2 months, as I recall. And even in r2, the vast majority of cases shipped some time ago. The delay to which child refers is that I recently arranged powder-coated upgrades for people who were affected by the anodizing problems (rather than ship them cases that I didn't feel were up to my standards), and the powder coating shop, though doing excellent work, proceeds at a glacial pace. =\

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #502 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 15:31:18 »

Yes, DillonHighsmith, did you mean the drop would start in time for Christmas, or the case would be delivered by then? If the former, that's very likely, if the latter, considerably less so. :D This project is more complex and has more components than my Novatouch cases, so I plan to set a longer expected manufacturing time on it.

However, I would have to say that child's comment is maybe not entirely relevant since Norbatouch r2 was dogged by several anodizing issues around the gray and blue Pantone matches, problems I will be avoiding like the plague for the RealForce case project by offering only silver (Type II) and black (Type III) anodized finishes. But Norbatouch r1, which didn't have the exotic anodizing colors, actually was produced and shipped in under 2 months, as I recall. And even in r2, the vast majority of cases shipped some time ago. The delay to which child refers is that I recently arranged powder-coated upgrades for people who were affected by the anodizing problems (rather than ship them cases that I didn't feel were up to my standards), and the powder coating shop, though doing excellent work, proceeds at a glacial pace. =\

Take your time on this one, Sir! Gives me something to look forward to :D

Offline norbauer

« Reply #503 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 15:32:04 »
Assuming the new prototype(s) is good, are we looking as the gb starting very soon?

It is indeed time for an update.

I got the reworked cases from the California machine shop yesterday, and unfortunately I'm still not happy with the finish on them. The anodizing has a sort of powdery/chalky quality to it, which is all wrong. It's a bit of a frustration for me, because I was really hoping to work with a shop that was local to me so I could do the initial QC in person. While the machine shop does amazing work, the third-party finishing providers here locally just aren't accustomed to doing work on consumer products, instead focusing primarily on industrial semi-conductor and aerospace applications. The thing is: I've seen this movie before, when I initially tried to get the Norbatouch cases made in the USA (as some of you will remember). I lost a good 8 months on that project trying to find a way to get the parts anodized to my specs in the US (in that case, it was in South Carolina), always being promised that we were on the verge of getting a perfect case back "next week," to no avail. I then switched to one of the providers in China that I use for my non-keyboard-related industrial design work, and they had a finished, cosmetically-perfect finished sample ready to me within two weeks. I've had anodizing issues in China too, but at least there is a big market there for factories accustomed to providing consumer-grade cosmetic finishes, so I know it's possible to get good parts—I just have to watch them like a hawk and get everything rigorously inspected. I was hoping to avoid some of that annoyance by doing it here in the USA, but I'm increasingly beginning to think that's just a false dream.

After the experience with the South Carolina vendor on the Norbatouches, I vowed never again to let remorse over sunk costs to lead me down a fruitless path for months and months. So I think I should bail on my efforts to get this made entirely here in California. I'm giving the California shop one more chance, but starting today, I'm also exploring China options in parallel and I consider that now the more likely scenario. The beautiful prototype of which you guys have seen photos was actually made by one of those shops.

So, alas, it'll likely be a few more weeks before I'm ready to do a group buy for these, but the upside is it's likely to be a bit less expensive than it was going to be, and at least we should be able to have some good anodizing options. I already know some good sourcing options/partners in China, so it shouldn't take me too long to pivot in this direction, as those vendors tend to work at break-neck speed.

That's good to hear. :) I always prefer to take my time to get stuff right than to rush it out the door. This is all just hobby fun for me, and there is no satisfaction in ending up sending people stuff that I'm not happy about, or where the production process is going to cause me a bunch of headaches and stress. Much better to work everything out in advance when possible.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 October 2017, 15:35:36 by norbauer »

Offline Stresemann

« Reply #504 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 20:23:15 »
Total support on your project!!

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #505 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 17:23:06 »
So uhh, you willing to sell any of those samples that you're not gonna go further with? Or do you have to give them back to the shops, I'm not really sure how that all works. But I can't wait to see whats coming up!

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #506 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 17:36:48 »
More
Assuming the new prototype(s) is good, are we looking as the gb starting very soon?

It is indeed time for an update.

I got the reworked cases from the California machine shop yesterday, and unfortunately I'm still not happy with the finish on them. The anodizing has a sort of powdery/chalky quality to it, which is all wrong. It's a bit of a frustration for me, because I was really hoping to work with a shop that was local to me so I could do the initial QC in person. While the machine shop does amazing work, the third-party finishing providers here locally just aren't accustomed to doing work on consumer products, instead focusing primarily on industrial semi-conductor and aerospace applications. The thing is: I've seen this movie before, when I initially tried to get the Norbatouch cases made in the USA (as some of you will remember). I lost a good 8 months on that project trying to find a way to get the parts anodized to my specs in the US (in that case, it was in South Carolina), always being promised that we were on the verge of getting a perfect case back "next week," to no avail. I then switched to one of the providers in China that I use for my non-keyboard-related industrial design work, and they had a finished, cosmetically-perfect finished sample ready to me within two weeks. I've had anodizing issues in China too, but at least there is a big market there for factories accustomed to providing consumer-grade cosmetic finishes, so I know it's possible to get good parts—I just have to watch them like a hawk and get everything rigorously inspected. I was hoping to avoid some of that annoyance by doing it here in the USA, but I'm increasingly beginning to think that's just a false dream.

After the experience with the South Carolina vendor on the Norbatouches, I vowed never again to let remorse over sunk costs to lead me down a fruitless path for months and months. So I think I should bail on my efforts to get this made entirely here in California. I'm giving the California shop one more chance, but starting today, I'm also exploring China options in parallel and I consider that now the more likely scenario. The beautiful prototype of which you guys have seen photos was actually made by one of those shops.

So, alas, it'll likely be a few more weeks before I'm ready to do a group buy for these, but the upside is it's likely to be a bit less expensive than it was going to be, and at least we should be able to have some good anodizing options. I already know some good sourcing options/partners in China, so it shouldn't take me too long to pivot in this direction, as those vendors tend to work at break-neck speed.

That's good to hear. :) I always prefer to take my time to get stuff right than to rush it out the door. This is all just hobby fun for me, and there is no satisfaction in ending up sending people stuff that I'm not happy about, or where the production process is going to cause me a bunch of headaches and stress. Much better to work everything out in advance when possible.

Thanks for the detailed update and additional background. Totally understand the desire to get all of the work done locally, but glad to hear you're exploring other options to continue to move forward. I'm definitely willing to wait for a high-quality case that I'll use for a long time.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline FSund

« Reply #507 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 00:43:43 »
[...]

However, I would have to say that child's comment is maybe not entirely relevant since Norbatouch r2 was dogged by several anodizing issues around the gray and blue Pantone matches, problems I will be avoiding like the plague for the RealForce case project by offering only silver (Type II) and black (Type III) anodized finishes. [...]

Will you offer powder coating options as well? I was seriously considering the Monte Carlo red, or one of the other wrinkle coats.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline norbauer

« Reply #508 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:09:56 »
[...]

However, I would have to say that child's comment is maybe not entirely relevant since Norbatouch r2 was dogged by several anodizing issues around the gray and blue Pantone matches, problems I will be avoiding like the plague for the RealForce case project by offering only silver (Type II) and black (Type III) anodized finishes. [...]

Will you offer powder coating options as well? I was seriously considering the Monte Carlo red, or one of the other wrinkle coats.

Yes, that's my plan. If we end up with a China supplier for the machining (probably likely at this point), it's a bit more fuss for me to get the powder coating done, but I've sort of worked out the process now as a result of my Novatouch cases runs, so I'm happy to do it. Using this vendor for powder coating is expensive and takes a long time, but the end result is stunning.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #509 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 11:36:34 »
Sorry if already addressed but any issues with a Realforce 91U?

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #510 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 23:47:40 »

I dont mind waiting for the new year, Just hoping the drop was going on soon is all! Which has been answered .Thank god!
I love the idea of powder coat. I saw the end result of one in person and I fell in love for sure! Now I just need to deiced on what color..

On a side note, You shold offer a bare case with no color for a discounted price so the buyer can choose to go local powder coat or pain them selfe or what ever they choose. Could be a neat idea. Looking forward to this bad boy in the near future sir! Keep us posted please!

Offline hyp36rmax

« Reply #511 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 15:39:18 »
OMFG! When can I get my hands on one of these? Sorry i definitely missed it and the thread is loooong:)
Cooler Master Rapid Stealth (Brown) |  Rapid-i (Blue) | XT (Brown) | XTi (Green) | XTi (Blue) | Novatouch TKL (Topre) | Topre RealForce 104UB (Topre)

Offline moonmaster

• big bumps, beautiful boards
« Reply #512 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 15:55:38 »
OMFG! When can I get my hands on one of these? Sorry i definitely missed it and the thread is loooong:)
Group buy soon (TM). Norbauer has said that GB going before Christmas is likely, and being delivered by Christmas is substantially less likely.

Offline braidn

« Reply #513 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 16:30:47 »
I know that the last prototype didn't turn out as expected. Are there any pictures though that you would be willing to share? Hankering to see how things are shaping up, especially with how much I love the Novatouch case.

Offline Stresemann

« Reply #514 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 01:12:43 »
I am definetly going to buy this case. But I am also wondering if Norbauer has any plans on making a case for realforce rgb TKL which is likely to be released next year. I am willing to buy one even though I already have my hands on aluminum novatouch.

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #515 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 01:15:06 »
I am definetly going to buy this case. But I am also wondering if Norbauer has any plans on making a case for realforce rgb TKL which is likely to be released next year. I am willing to buy one even though I already have my hands on aluminum novatouch.

I second this. The rgb tkl should hit sometime in january at that time Ill sell my 87u and go that direction. Hell Even if he made a fullsize case for the big RGB I would be in. I love the Novatouch case but hate the novatouch.. So Anything for realforce will be gold IMO

Offline braidn

« Reply #516 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 09:17:17 »

Will the TKL come with true Topre compatibility or wil it be only MX compatible like the 108? I like lubed and silenced novatouches over the lubed and silenced RGB. Realforce boards imho should all be Topre compatible.

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #517 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 09:39:11 »
Bless you Norbauer. Yet another super-cool project. Looking forward to joining this one.

Offline hyp36rmax

« Reply #518 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 19:32:04 »
Group buy soon (TM). Norbauer has said that GB going before Christmas is likely, and being delivered by Christmas is substantially less likely.

Perfect! Currently have an 87JIS and this will push me to pick up an 87U
Cooler Master Rapid Stealth (Brown) |  Rapid-i (Blue) | XT (Brown) | XTi (Green) | XTi (Blue) | Novatouch TKL (Topre) | Topre RealForce 104UB (Topre)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #519 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 11:30:26 »
Thanks for the kind words of support! I keep nudging everything along every day. This case production thing mostly involves lot and lots of waiting. -_-

On a side note, You shold offer a bare case with no color for a discounted price so the buyer can choose to go local powder coat or pain them selfe or what ever they choose. Could be a neat idea. Looking forward to this bad boy in the near future sir! Keep us posted please!

I am always happy to do that, but unfortunately it wouldn't reduce the price much compared to Type II clear anodizing, which adds a trivial cost to the unit price when doing a big batch (like less than $2).

Offline g_ken92

« Reply #520 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 01:57:28 »
Can we expect extra units to be sold from your website once the GB is over? Really interested in it but i doubt i can come out with the extra fund when the GB opens by the end of the year :/

Anyway, great job Mr Norbauer. Really love the aesthetics of your case design. Very elegant :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #521 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 10:33:10 »
Can we expect extra units to be sold from your website once the GB is over? Really interested in it but i doubt i can come out with the extra fund when the GB opens by the end of the year :/

Anyway, great job Mr Norbauer. Really love the aesthetics of your case design. Very elegant :)

Thanks!

I'd like to avoid my hobby turning into a job, so I don't want to get into the business of fulfilling orders every day, but I'll try to order some extras for the inevitable folks who find out too late. It may not be many, however; I'll just have to see what the numbers look like—and how much spare cash I have on hand at the time. ;) I've thought about maybe hiring a fulfillment company and carrying more regular inventory on stuff I make that could be shipped regularly, but I don't think I'm quite there yet. (It's quite expensive.)

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #522 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 22:18:18 »
I cant wait For this to have a picture and pricing and date !! Hype is real!!

Offline norbauer

[IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #523 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 22:19:47 »

Soon! New sample being made by my buddies in China in black hard ano with WKL (blockers) as we speak.

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #524 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 22:23:10 »

Soon! New sample being made by my buddies in China in black hard ano with WKL (blockers) as we speak.

Very nice. Exactly what ill be ordering! Cant wait!

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #525 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 08:16:48 »
Have you considered to design alu cases for Plum 87 keyboard? They are electro-capacitive keyboards just like Topre ones, with much lower price if you get them directly from the Chinese vendor.

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #526 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 16:23:37 »
Have you considered to design alu cases for Plum 87 keyboard? They are electro-capacitive keyboards just like Topre ones, with much lower price if you get them directly from the Chinese vendor.
That's like pimping out a minivan. You can do it, but why not pimp out a Cadillac......

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #527 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 16:25:08 »
That's like pimping out a minivan. You can do it, but why not pimp out a Cadillac......

I'm sorry to say that I concur with this analysis.

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #528 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 16:51:50 »

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
thought you were talking about minivan keyboard at first

Offline norbauer

« Reply #529 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 16:54:27 »
For anybody going to the NorCal meetup at Nest/Google next weekend, incidentally, I plan to have at least one of the prototypes with me on display. I'm also hoping to have the latest prototype with Winkey blockers and black hard anodizing, and maybe a powder coated one too. But we'll see if the vendors get them to me in time.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #531 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 19:46:23 »
Does Realforce tkl come with mx sliders preinstalled?

No.

Offline Stresemann

« Reply #532 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 20:26:28 »
Realforce rgb tkl will come with mx compatible sliders but not the non rgb ver.

Offline braidn

« Reply #533 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 06:44:31 »
Folks... pls snap pictures of these pls!

For anybody going to the NorCal meetup at Nest/Google next weekend, incidentally, I plan to have at least one of the prototypes with me on display. I'm also hoping to have the latest prototype with Winkey blockers and black hard anodizing, and maybe a powder coated one too. But we'll see if the vendors get them to me in time.

Offline g_ken92

« Reply #534 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 09:19:06 »

looking forward for some tasty pics  :p

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #535 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 14:17:20 »
Just curious because I perused the last few pages but didn't figure anything out for certain, is corian still planned to be the material for this case or is anodized aluminum the material being worked with now?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #536 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 19:24:00 »
Just aluminum.  Manufacturer wasn't able to meet the tolerances necessary for this case while using Corian. He's saving it for another project where tolerances aren't as important.
keyboards.

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #537 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 19:29:17 »
Just aluminum.  Manufacturer wasn't able to meet the tolerances necessary for this case while using Corian. He's saving it for another project where tolerances aren't as important.
Ahh gotcha, thanks for clearing it up for me!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #538 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 23:27:40 »

I'm impressed folks pay such attention to all these posts I make.  :D

Offline megaforce

« Reply #539 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 00:23:30 »

YES YES YES.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #540 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 00:36:47 »
So Norbauer, any info on pricing yet!? I kno it’s still early but I need to kno how much money to have aside for the big day..😁😁

Offline sozo

« Reply #541 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 23:03:41 »
Is there going to be a RF RGB variant? Man I am so close to my first "end game"

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #542 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 07:05:01 »
Picture from the NorCal meetup:

via https://www.reddit.com/user/jetpacktuxedo

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #543 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 09:41:13 »
That black wkl is fire

Offline braidn

« Reply #544 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 11:49:18 »

Show Image

The finish on the Retro Refrigerator is mad shiny!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #545 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 12:48:12 »
So those cases appear to be different. The top one looks like the silver prototype posted before, but the retro one looks rounder and bigger.
keyboards.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #546 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 16:26:09 »
So those cases appear to be different. The top one looks like the silver prototype posted before, but the retro one looks rounder and bigger.

It’s just lens distortion. The design is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline celta

« Reply #547 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 18:16:16 »

Show Image

Is that a 7u Spacebar on the winkeyless version I see?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #548 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 20:13:05 »

Show Image

Is that a 7u Spacebar on the winkeyless version I see?

And a GMK keyset! The guts are on loan from perniciouspony.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #549 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 21:03:22 »
THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN NOW!!!!