Author Topic: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards  (Read 147374 times)

Offline codywanks

Re: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 18:40:36 »
I vote "Forbauer"

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #451 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 19:14:53 »
Noforce.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #452 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 20:01:06 »
Realuminum

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #453 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 20:01:53 »
Realforce with Aluminum case by Ryan Norbauer

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #454 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 20:04:07 »
Realforce X

What?  It’s made in California, right?

Offline K.Mak

« Reply #455 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 20:15:24 »
Is the ETA on delivery going to be a bit sooner due to the US manufacturing?

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #456 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 20:18:19 »
Is the ETA on delivery going to be a bit sooner due to the US manufacturing?

I doubt that would have much effect. The shipping time from China to me here is usually only about a week.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #457 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 21:06:10 »
Those EU proxy talks from a few pages back - anything happened?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #458 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 21:11:44 »
Those EU proxy talks from a few pages back - anything happened?

We discussed it a bit, but I'm not entirely convinced that it really saves anybody a significant amount of money or trouble. I'm still open to it, however. The plan is to revisit once I have an actual price.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #459 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 10:43:48 »
Fair enough, thanks.

I'm not exactly sure how complicated it is to set up a proxy in the first place, so I understand if that's too much trouble on your side -
but if it's at all possible, it would be appreciated   :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #460 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 10:55:37 »
Fair enough, thanks.

I'm not exactly sure how complicated it is to set up a proxy in the first place, so I understand if that's too much trouble on your side -
but if it's at all possible, it would be appreciated   :thumb:

I think it would certainly save me some trouble in terms of shipping effort but it would also create some communication and coordination work with the proxy, probably basically a wash. But I'm not really concerned about that. I'm not just sure it would save you guys any meaningful money. Somebody would have to pay the import duties either way. (If the proxy pays them, they would just pass them along to you, even if effectively hidden in the price.) Batching the US-to-EU shipment would save a little bit of money, but in a way that would a) introduce additional delay, 2) probably be largely nullified by the cut the proxy would need to take plus the additional shipping cost of having to pack and ship the product twice.

As far as I can see, it just introduces a middle man, doesn't cut any significant costs, and introduces some slight delay. The only plausible case I've heard so far is that maybe it makes importation easier by outsourcing the task of dealing with customs to the proxy company. It is on this last question of convenience that I think the case to be made for it, if any, rests.

As I say, I'm not averse to it; I just haven't yet been made a strong case as so why it's obviously to anyone's advantage. Am I missing something about the advantage of having a proxy? Please enlighten me. :)

Offline avid

« Reply #461 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 11:20:34 »
I would much prefer a eu proxy even if price would be the same or even more. I'd happily pay a higher price for the certainty.
If it take longer, that's irrelevant.
Some important factors
1. In some countries, customs are a nightmare and it can be delayed for a long time.
2. Random element of customs. Customs usually has extra fees. So they basically charge you a fee for writing you a ticket   :D
3. I know the price 100% advance.
4. Shipping is much cheaper inside europe
5. I also think you will get more orders. Many people will feel more comfortable ordering from a european store.

The same debate has been iterated with GMK drops. EU people will always prefer the stability of a eu proxy running stuff. I would probably not bought solarized dark if mykeyboard didnt proxied it. I skipped oblivion for the same reason.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #462 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 11:30:34 »
Yep, avid summed it up nicely, and I agree on all points  ;D

I absolutely hate dealing with my customs because it's incredibly annoying process,
and on top of everything else, you never know how much you'll have to pay until the very moment you receive the customs' invoice.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #463 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 12:09:13 »
Hyped for this! would be the first american made custom ill have ever owned!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #464 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 16:46:35 »
Yep, avid summed it up nicely, and I agree on all points  ;D

I absolutely hate dealing with my customs because it's incredibly annoying process,
and on top of everything else, you never know how much you'll have to pay until the very moment you receive the customs' invoice.

OK, so I think I must have been understanding the premise of why folks wanted a proxy. This makes total sense to me and I'm on board.

« Reply #465 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 15:13:22 »
A few questions

How resilient will the Type II ano finish be with everyday use when it comes to scratches? ie stationary and not transported, but fingernails, etc coming into contact with it.

How easy will it be to do the transplant, is it just desoldering the internal hardwired cable connection (or is this attached with a connector?) and soldering in the USB type C?

What do people think of silver case- go with white or black keycap version of the RF? I am leaning towards white since the prototype pictures look so good with this combination.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #466 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 15:52:04 »
How resilient will the Type II ano finish be with everyday use when it comes to scratches? ie stationary and not transported, but fingernails, etc coming into contact with it.

it's fairly good, i have other things with type II and it's no worse than any other ano finish

How easy will it be to do the transplant, is it just desoldering the internal hardwired cable connection (or is this attached with a connector?) and soldering in the USB type C?

not too hard, i think it's just a connector

What do people think of silver case- go with white or black keycap version of the RF? I am leaning towards white since the prototype pictures look so good with this combination.

silver looks good with nearly everything
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline norbauer

« Reply #467 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 16:56:10 »
^ couldn't have said all that better myself. :)

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #468 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 17:00:43 »
I really want to get hard anode + hi-pro, but I'm afraid I really really also want the Monte Carlo Red.

Something about a case machined in a Tesla/NASA outsourcing factory, and powder coated like a Ferrari engine sounds the right amount of badass to me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 September 2017, 17:06:24 by clappingcactus »

Offline plazma9

« Reply #469 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 20:11:28 »
This case is absolutely stunning.  I'm just curious though, does it have a significant effect on the sound of the keyboard?

Offline Johnee

« Reply #470 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 02:15:07 »
This case looks fantastic! I’m curious if it will fit my ISO Realforce tho. It’s got a fairly new model number, YA7100, and it does not appear to share the same PCB as other Realforces which makes me a bit worried. Please let me know if I can help out by taking more detailed photos.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #471 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 04:16:29 »
Fc660c? There still isn't an aftermarket case for this board.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #472 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 07:31:53 »
Fc660c? There still isn't an aftermarket case for this board.

He said he's making a 660c case next.
keyboards.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #473 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 07:35:48 »
This case looks fantastic! I’m curious if it will fit my ISO Realforce tho. It’s got a fairly new model number, YA7100, and it does not appear to share the same PCB as other Realforces which makes me a bit worried. Please let me know if I can help out by taking more detailed photos.

Yes it will.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #474 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 11:28:06 »

Yes it will.

Yes, it looks to have the same overall plate and PCB profile as the other TKL boards I've seen, so you should be good.

In fact, PerniciousPony just lent me a couple of his Topre boards for testing, a JIS 89u (same as a 91u but without the winkeys because of the blockers) and his 86u, and I can confirm that both fit perfectly inside the case.

My suspicion is that pretty much every Topre TKL board has the same plate and outer PCB profile.

Offline FSund

« Reply #475 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 03:46:04 »
Next after the FC660 you should tackle the coming Realforce RGB TKL. Topre + MX sliders + TKL + RGB is looking close to endgame.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #476 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 05:32:42 »
Did you say RealForce RGB TKL???? Do you have a link to any articles or documentation on that, would love to read up.......

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #477 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 07:54:38 »
It was announced a few days ago (go check on reddit), only JP version at the moment - but ANSI should be out soon as well.

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #479 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 14:55:53 »
thanks! awesome. pumped!

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #480 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 11:40:23 »
any updates Mr. Norbauer?

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #481 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 16:43:44 »
Everyone calls the other one for CoolerMaster cases the "Norbatouch" case, could go with "Norbaforce"
I'm not getting one of these as I don't have a realforce and my wife thinks I have too many keyboards already, but I would like to say Norbaforce gets my vote. Not sure what the hell we're going to do when it comes time to name the FC660C case. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue as it is.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #482 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 13:16:44 »
Everyone calls the other one for CoolerMaster cases the "Norbatouch" case, could go with "Norbaforce"
I'm not getting one of these as I don't have a realforce and my wife thinks I have too many keyboards already, but I would like to say Norbaforce gets my vote. Not sure what the hell we're going to do when it comes time to name the FC660C case. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue as it is.

Maybe FC660CN or NFC660C just to add on 1 letter instead of trying to do something like Norba660c which doesn't quite flow

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #483 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 15:40:43 »
Norbapold.
keyboards.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #484 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:16:01 »
So I've spent the last few days of my free time getting QMK to work on Hasu's USB-USB Converter. This works perfectly with my Realforce 89u. Since people here are planning Realforce endgames, I thought some may be interested in getting QMK working with them.

:)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #485 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:54:06 »
OK, so I think I must have been understanding the premise of why folks wanted a proxy. This makes total sense to me and I'm on board.

I too think Avid summed it up fairly nicely - it's more of a quality of life thing rather than money related - in Portugal for example, unless I go to the customs office myself and wait 5 hours in line to pick it up, it can literally take between 4 to 6 weeks for the item to be released. Unless DHL/UPS/FedEx premium express service is used that is (then it's like a week instead, since they call you and resolve everything for you), which it usually is not since the costs are ridiculous.

That's usually not a huge deal when you buy a key set or something but if we're talking about a $350 case it becomes a lot more frustrating.

All in all, if you do set up a European proxy that'd be great - I personally do not own a Realforce but if you run Novatouch cases again and/or Leopold ones I'm definitely going to be participating.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #486 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 10:27:21 »
The shop said the new samples should be ready early this week. :D As soon as I have them, I'll start working on photos.

Offline Johnee

« Reply #487 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:42:13 »

Yes it will.

Yes, it looks to have the same overall plate and PCB profile as the other TKL boards I've seen, so you should be good.

In fact, PerniciousPony just lent me a couple of his Topre boards for testing, a JIS 89u (same as a 91u but without the winkeys because of the blockers) and his 86u, and I can confirm that both fit perfectly inside the case.

My suspicion is that pretty much every Topre TKL board has the same plate and outer PCB profile.

Great!

So I've spent the last few days of my free time getting QMK to work on Hasu's USB-USB Converter. This works perfectly with my Realforce 89u. Since people here are planning Realforce endgames, I thought some may be interested in getting QMK working with them.

This is something I've been wondering about as well, really great to see somebody looking into it. Would the converter be able fit inside the case Norbauer?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #488 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:02:00 »

This is something I've been wondering about as well, really great to see somebody looking into it. Would the converter be able fit inside the case Norbauer?
[/quote]

Can you tell me more about what would be required for it to be compatible? What is its size, where does it go, and with what does it interface?

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:15:13 »

Can you tell me more about what would be required for it to be compatible? What is its size, where does it go, and with what does it interface?

Here is a picture of the converter relative to some part of my Realforce.

On the left hand side is a USB A male header. On the right hand side is a USB A female header. Usually a usb from the realforce goes into the right side, and the left side goes out towards the computer with another USB cable.

When I got my case I was planning on trying to jig it all together so that I have a magnetic cable coming out of my computer and my realforce just has a bolted down magnetically detachable insert from Volta or something. From my experience with the Novatouch case, there should be enough space to include the converter inside the case.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #490 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:34:19 »

On the left hand side is a USB A male header. On the right hand side is a USB A female header. Usually a usb from the realforce goes into the right side, and the left side goes out towards the computer with another USB cable.

When I got my case I was planning on trying to jig it all together so that I have a magnetic cable coming out of my computer and my realforce just has a bolted down magnetically detachable insert from Volta or something. From my experience with the Novatouch case, there should be enough space to include the converter inside the case.

Unfortunately, there wouldn't be room for something like this because of the PCB breakout I have to add, which occupies the space to which I think you are referring. The breakout is there to make a detachable (USB C) cable possible. However, maybe this device can be added downstream of the cable and still add the same functionality?

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #491 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:40:19 »

Unfortunately, there wouldn't be room for something like this because of the PCB breakout I have to add, which occupies the space to which I think you are referring. The breakout is there to make a detachable (USB C) cable possible. However, maybe this device can be added downstream of the cable and still add the same functionality?

*nods*

I'm not too fussy about that ideal, ideal scenario of how it all gets put together because part of the great typing experience on the Norbatouch is how tight all the clearances are. Usually USB-USB converters are actually external to the case and having them internally both adds and removes convenience (launching into bootloader mode becomes impossible without opening up the case).

Now that I know this, though, your carrying case better have a pocket for a cable haha.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #492 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:51:57 »
Now that I know this, though, your carrying case better have a pocket for a cable haha.

It does, it does! :)

Offline regionfree

« Reply #493 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 02:42:05 »

big enough for coiled cables, please!

Offline avid

« Reply #494 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 02:42:53 »

big enough for coiled cables, please!

And GMK tray in case you need to carry an extra keyset!  :D

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #495 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 07:45:59 »
So excited to see these new prototype photos!!!

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #496 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 14:19:40 »
So excited to see these new prototype photos!!!

me2 guy

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #497 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 20:49:06 »
Im in, hopefully it will drop just in time for Christmas. I already picked up a novatouch to harvest from specifically when this drop happens.. Lets GO!!!! **Excited**

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #498 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 21:44:14 »
Assuming the new prototype(s) is good, are we looking as the gb starting very soon?
keyboards.

Offline child

« Reply #499 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 01:52:17 »
Im in, hopefully it will drop just in time for Christmas. I already picked up a novatouch to harvest from specifically when this drop happens.. Lets GO!!!! **Excited**

You must be joking. It's 6 months since Norbatouch r2 started and still some cases did not arrive (like mine, although this one is admittedly very close).