Author Topic: SSKanoly!  (Read 22217 times)

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
Re: SSKanoly!
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 21:10:18 »
Posted, pending moderation.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92113.new#new  I don't know if that link changes after moderation or not. This is my first classified so I'm not sure.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 12:16:11 »
Thanks for the update!

Are all of the SSKs blue labels, or just the first 9 that you have ready?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:32:20 »
Where's the classified? I've been waiting all day for it to show up. <__<

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:38:03 »
Where's the classified? I've been waiting all day for it to show up. <__<

Same.  Awaiting mod approval I guess.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 16:25:22 »
 Does anyone know how long it usually takes for a mod to approve classified ?

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 16:27:23 »
Thanks for the update!

Are all of the SSKs blue labels, or just the first 9 that you have ready?

Just the ones I have ready.  I do have 3-4 white labels that will be in the next batch.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 16:54:33 »

usually just a day

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 17:35:38 »

usually just a day

So for those of you following, probably some time after everyone in the US eats dinner.

Offline mogo

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 10:07:41 »

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:42:40 »
I have no idea why it's still awaiting approval.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:58:37 »

Did you report the thread and/or PM a moderator? And did you make sure everything was following the rules? Sometimes they'll leave a note you need to update/change something to get it approved.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:03:17 »

Did you report the thread and/or PM a moderator? And did you make sure everything was following the rules? Sometimes they'll leave a note you need to update/change something to get it approved.

I have not reported the thread as I saw nothing about needing to do so, but to my knowledge it 100% follows the rules.

EDIT
It has been over 24hrs so I did drop a message to the moderation team to ask that someone have a look at it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:12:59 by bmmcwhirt »

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:24:30 »

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:38:21 »
Very nice of you to have this sale <3

SSK is a bucket list keyboard for me :D and definitely agree with others that I look forward to the restoration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mogo

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:41:37 »
gosh dang i go get a snack for 10 minutes and it opens and blows up before I can sit down and wipe off the crumbs lol

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 03:19:34 »
So here are some photos of the 2nd storage space we are searching.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qe1p777JBYs2ys1F2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CC0uVQbAiRZ5XYXy1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iaFV5FKGX2qJOYv92

And photos of most of the remaining keyboards the I'm still looking for cables for and have yet to test.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OS9GYkQjkhu6ty5u2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NoBZ8kMf2xPNevMj2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ssfetfFBqfkfcCml1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jwPwWQcr6IsGzBh93

In the photos are about 80 SSK, and with the ones I've already cleaned there are close to 100 plus the 9 that already went out.  No Unsavers and no working AT keyboards but there are still several more locations.

Offline xueyao

SSKanoly!
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 03:22:38 »
Omfg that's amazing, you're going to singlehandedly cause the ssk market to collapse.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 03:28:09 »
I would love to rummage through that just to see all of the old stuff.

This has been a primary focus on BS boards but have you come across any interesting MX or Alps boards? If so, anything you'd be selling?
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 03:31:49 »
what an amazing haul  :thumb:

Offline mogo

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 08:48:44 »
Omfg that's amazing, you're going to singlehandedly cause the ssk market to collapse.

For serious! 100+ SSKs, man...

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 08:55:51 »
Many people forget that the SSK was the *standard config* with some PS/2's.   The full keyboard was extra.

Suspect some business bought a boatload of PS/2's and replaced the boards with something else (maybe aftermarket specialty boards).

Would love to know what else is hiding in there.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Kavik

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 10:37:31 »
Holy moly! That's a bunch of old stuff. I can't believe how many SSKs that is. You are a saint to release these to the community, to people who will really enjoy these. Excited to see what other cool things you might find in there.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 10:51:34 »
holy hell

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 10:54:23 »
lawd

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 10:56:18 »
Looks like so much fun hunting through that garage!

Offline Prelim

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:19:45 »
100x$150= ...

man, you could now do a better price ;) (not interested though, I'm an ISO guy :P )
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:21:47 »
Curious to hear from those who have received the first 9 as to how many plastic rivets were broken.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:25:45 »
ohhh my 100 ssks... I may have to get in on this and finally get one and bolt and foil mod it. Any selectric typewriters to go with? I know  no unsavers already so i wont ask about those

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 13:38:48 »
holy guacamole

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 14:03:57 »
There is a **** ton of Apple ii stuff. Some IIc with alps. Tons more and it’s going to take time. Probably take some apple stuff to next years midwest vintage computer festival. There are actual ps2 to go with the ssk but we haven’t touched those yet.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 14:17:49 »
There is a **** ton of Apple ii stuff. Some IIc with alps. Tons more and it’s going to take time. Probably take some apple stuff to next years midwest vintage computer festival. There are actual ps2 to go with the ssk but we haven’t touched those yet.

If there are PS/2 towers, I could possibly go for a Mod 80 or 60. Those thing were damn tanks.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline supamesican

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 14:19:44 »
ooo alps and ssk and ps2 pcs... My interest is peaked.  I may have to run to the next state over to the MVCF this next year.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 16:41:01 »
If any of those SSKs is Displaywrite variant (model no 1392464) I would be very interested. Especially if it's missing caps, since I'm looking to find my missing one. Also, there wouldn't by any chance be a stray Macintosh portable in there? :)

Offline supamesican

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 14:50:10 »
I was a tiny bit on the fence before but yeah I'd totally be interested in one of the ssk if any more of them work. Gonna bug wendle at level 1 techs and get info on his foil mod that gave his ssk full knro = D

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 15:52:59 »
I am definitely interested in 1 SSK and 1 full board. Are they all Lexmark or you have grey/black badges as well?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 21:19:23 »
Thats a haul and a half. I'll be watching this thread for sure. Lordy if I could get my hands on one of those I'd die a happy man. Please update here before posting to classifieds :)
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 12:14:26 »
Yooooo this is a sick find!

Like rubik said, please update this thread when round 2 is happening. I'd love to get my hands on an SSK :D
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline mogo

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 18:54:56 »
Update on my board! I ordered a dozen custom-print caps from Unicomp...

and for about $20, I now have a Inverse Industrial! Or maybe it's more like SP's idea of Industrial. In any case, I love the look of it. I'm still madly in love with the spring-buckle of the buckling spring.  :p

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 18:59:22 »
Update on my board! I ordered a dozen custom-print caps from Unicomp...

Show Image

and for about $20, I now have a Inverse Industrial! Or maybe it's more like SP's idea of Industrial. In any case, I love the look of it. I'm still madly in love with the spring-buckle of the buckling spring.  :p

Ayy, I dig the look you're going for bud! Will be posting mine up soon :D

Offline poi_themachine

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 23:41:57 »
This thread made my day. Just the sheer goodness of the find and people's reaction to the SSKs.

Can you update this thread when you fine any working Alps?

Thank you.
:)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 02:59:52 »
Wow.  Just...wow.  That green typewriter under the box on the right side of that first pic looks like a Selectric, which should also find a good home.  That's probably true of all the stuff I don't recognize, and everything lurking in boxes, from what we're hearing, so I've no idea why I feel a need to point that one out.

100 SSKs just sitting in somebody's garage all these years.   :eek:  Please, please, please post more about what else you find in there.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 09:17:26 »
This is an absolutely amazing run of stuff!  The computers can find very good homes too!  :eek:

I'm only a state over in Illinois and would love to come just help you go through all this--for some reason doing stuff like that brings me inner peace.  :cool:  We could make a lot of people's Christmas very merry this year!  :thumb:  Let me know if you would like the assistance.  :thumb:

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 12:46:37 »
This thread made my day. Just the sheer goodness of the find and people's reaction to the SSKs.

Thank you.

So here is the low-down on the situation with a bit more details.

This collection belongs to a good friend and ex-boss. He's been involved in the computer business since at least the very early 80's. He's been a huge Apple fanatic. We recently closed the last business and he knows he needs to start getting rid of things but as you can imagine it's hard on him. This is going to be a slow process especially when it comes to the Apple stuff. Unfortunately there is a lot of damage to do to moisture and mice.

All the ALPS are in the form of Apple IIc machines so far. If I get permission to sell apple stuff it will likely be taken to the Mid-West Vintage Computer Faire 2018. Another friend from St Louis will also have a lot of old C64 stuff there as well.

That said I will let everyone know what is available Apple wise.

I did come across more full size model M and 3 more cables. The weather here today is bad (tornado warnings and watches), so I'm not out in the facility testing today. I've only been at the mechanical hobby about a year now so I'm still not super familiar with what has what in it so I'm constantly having to look up pieces on Deskthority and Wikipedia.

If anyone has a list of things you want me to be on the lookout for I'm happy to accommodate you. So far the only things thrown out have been paper goods (manuals etc) that were ruined beyond hope or repair.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 14:02:44 »
Personally I mostly just want an ssk if there by any spares, since I doubt any unsavers will be found. Aside from beam springs and selectic stuff thats all thats left on my list of want.  I'll probably try to talk to wendle of level1 techs to see if he can give me any info on the foil + diode mod.

Offline mogo

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 16:12:20 »
It sounds like I'm going to have to look into going to this Vintage Computer Faire (regardless if you'll be there or not, that just sounds like a fascinating event by the name of it).

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 16:23:28 »
The last Atlanta meetup was hosted at the vintage Computer Festival Southeast. I am looking to have it there again in April.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 08:38:57 »
It sounds like I'm going to have to look into going to this Vintage Computer Faire (regardless if you'll be there or not, that just sounds like a fascinating event by the name of it).
Me too.  Depending on where it is, sounds like a fun time to meet other enthusiasts.

We should have some sort of gh getogether there.  It would be a nice place to put some faces to the names and talk about our favorite subject in person. :)

Offline poi_themachine

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 02:22:41 »

Thank you.

So here is the low-down on the situation with a bit more details.

This collection belongs to a good friend and ex-boss. He's been involved in the computer business since at least the very early 80's. He's been a huge Apple fanatic. We recently closed the last business and he knows he needs to start getting rid of things but as you can imagine it's hard on him. This is going to be a slow process especially when it comes to the Apple stuff. Unfortunately there is a lot of damage to do to moisture and mice.

All the ALPS are in the form of Apple IIc machines so far. If I get permission to sell apple stuff it will likely be taken to the Mid-West Vintage Computer Faire 2018. Another friend from St Louis will also have a lot of old C64 stuff there as well.

That said I will let everyone know what is available Apple wise.

I did come across more full size model M and 3 more cables. The weather here today is bad (tornado warnings and watches), so I'm not out in the facility testing today. I've only been at the mechanical hobby about a year now so I'm still not super familiar with what has what in it so I'm constantly having to look up pieces on Deskthority and Wikipedia.

If anyone has a list of things you want me to be on the lookout for I'm happy to accommodate you. So far the only things thrown out have been paper goods (manuals etc) that were ruined beyond hope or repair.

Thank you for the context. I am perfectly fine waiting for a long time. This is a thread that I would be watching for sure. The reason I had asked about Alps is because it seems to be one kind of switch that is hard to find in India where I am based. And the shipping+eBay from anywhere else in the world are super expensive. So yeah. Happy to hear whenever you have anything.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 10:31:17 »
Me too.  Depending on where it is, sounds like a fun time to meet other enthusiasts.

We should have some sort of gh getogether there.  It would be a nice place to put some faces to the names and talk about our favorite subject in person. :)

It would be awesome. Maybe id be able to find some info on my weird badge model f

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 12:53:40 »
Can someone id the switches on this? I figure you guys will know quicker than I can google plus I’m cleaning keyboards.