Author Topic: Help with Zealio Switches  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Rumpleteazer

Help with Zealio Switches
« on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 11:15:31 »
Hello!

Going to be building my first board soon and I think I'm going to go with Zealio for the switches.

My first board ever had MXbrowns, I like them at firstybut they felt a tad too mushy for me and when bottoming out hard - you could not really feel the "bump". So I grabbed a race 3 with MXclears years later and love them! Absolutey a dream to type on, even if I did get some fatigue every now and then, especially with gaming. Still very much dig these keys and I'm getting more use to them. Not bottom out as much, I kinda type like a gorilla.

Recently grabbed a Vortex Poker 3 with MX black to try out linear switches. I like them for gaming quite a bit in WASD games, RPGs and OSU.

With all that said, I would never go back to MXbrown for either gaming or typing with the current switches I have.

I'm thinking I want to get a nice "allrounder" with a Zealio.

I feel like 62g will probably be right out, so it's down between 65, 67 and 78.

Would anyone with similar switch preferences mind sharing their experience? Sorry for the wall of text, I just thought it would be good to give a bit of my switch history. :)

Also, since these are a bit of a niche switch - do they sell out for long periods of time? I see they are currently available from 1up keyboards and Zealio for preorder.

Offline lockedandlogan

Re: Help with Zealio Switches
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 11:39:03 »
Hello!

Going to be building my first board soon and I think I'm going to go with Zealio for the switches.

My first board ever had MXbrowns, I like them at firstybut they felt a tad too mushy for me and when bottoming out hard - you could not really feel the "bump". So I grabbed a race 3 with MXclears years later and love them! Absolutey a dream to type on, even if I did get some fatigue every now and then, especially with gaming. Still very much dig these keys and I'm getting more use to them. Not bottom out as much, I kinda type like a gorilla.

Recently grabbed a Vortex Poker 3 with MX black to try out linear switches. I like them for gaming quite a bit in WASD games, RPGs and OSU.

With all that said, I would never go back to MXbrown for either gaming or typing with the current switches I have.

I'm thinking I want to get a nice "allrounder" with a Zealio.

I feel like 62g will probably be right out, so it's down between 65, 67 and 78.

Would anyone with similar switch preferences mind sharing their experience? Sorry for the wall of text, I just thought it would be good to give a bit of my switch history. :)

Also, since these are a bit of a niche switch - do they sell out for long periods of time? I see they are currently available from 1up keyboards and Zealio for preorder.
I don't have any experience with Zealios but I was in the same boat with liking the tactility of brown but wishing it were a bit more pronounced. I randomly joined a group buy for Outemu ICE switches which were advertised as tactile switches with a more pronounced bump. I got the ICE Purples which are 62g and I'm a fan for sure. They have a much more pronounced bump than browns and I find myself not bottoming out as much. They also make 68g and 75g tactile switches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 20:37:34 »
Zealios switches have a more noticable bump to them compared to Cherry mx/Gateron Brown switches.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Rumpleteazer

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 01:03:02 »
Zealios switches have a more noticable bump to them compared to Cherry mx/Gateron Brown switches.

Thats what I hear! Main reason I'm interested in them, love the tactile feel of my clears.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 09:02:37 »
67 or 78 are Best imo, depends how heavy you like your switch. 67 feels slightly more tactile due to the spring weight.
keyboards.

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 10:51:26 »
I was in the same boat myself went from MX Browns to MX Clear and now fully immersed in Zealio feels.

I got 67g as that was supposedly between MX Browns and MX Clears but didn't end up liking them as much as I thought I would.

I'm now typing on R7 78g Zealios and they are definitely my favorite. The springs are stiff enough that I no longer have accidental switch actuations and the tactility is fantastic compared to the lighter variants.

I would say go with either the 65g or 67g variants and start there. See how you like it. You can also try lubing them and see if you like them better that way before trying other variants.

Offline Rumpleteazer

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 16:26:07 »
Thank you for the replies so far!

Would you say that the 78g feel like a slightly lighter clear?

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 16:28:53 »
Thank you for the replies so far!

Would you say that the 78g feel like a slightly lighter clear?

Yeah I would say so. I definitely have less wrist and finger fatigue with extended typing sessions and it’s a lot less harder to accidentally actuate than MX Browns or 67g Zealios if you game a lot. That was always my issue with MX Browns—too easy to trip keys by accident.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 17:32:24 »
Wanted to add for the OP cause looked into these switches. The Zealio switches are measured at the bottom out. Which is kinda nice and makes it easier to tell how heavy the switch will be overall. The peak force of a cherry clear is around Peak force   ca. 95g .. I am thinking the heaviest set of Zealio might be the perfect in between for getting a Cherry MX clear and a Cherry MX brown. The Cherry MX blacks you where talking about have a peak force of around 83g... Hopefully this info helps OP

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 18:36:58 »
Wanted to add for the OP cause looked into these switches. The Zealio switches are measured at the bottom out. Which is kinda nice and makes it easier to tell how heavy the switch will be overall. The peak force of a cherry clear is around Peak force   ca. 95g .. I am thinking the heaviest set of Zealio might be the perfect in between for getting a Cherry MX clear and a Cherry MX brown. The Cherry MX blacks you where talking about have a peak force of around 83g... Hopefully this info helps OP

This is very helpful for someone who's never used Zealios. Thanks so much!

In case that didn't make sense OP, Zealios are rated for bottom out force so 78g Zealios mean they require 78g to hit the bottom versus Cherry MX switches which are rated for how much force is required for the switch to "actuate" =)

I may have just confused you further. Hope not though! Thanks HotRoderX from the help.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 18:55:19 »

This is very helpful for someone who's never used Zealios. Thanks so much!

In case that didn't make sense OP, Zealios are rated for bottom out force so 78g Zealios mean they require 78g to hit the bottom versus Cherry MX switches which are rated for how much force is required for the switch to "actuate" =)

I may have just confused you further. Hope not though! Thanks HotRoderX from the help.

Glad I could help! and yea its really important info and makes Zealios very interesting. Also thanks for simplifying what I said. I can be a bit long winded and over explain things. The way you explained it is perfect and far far less round about.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:58:41 »
I love them. Personally I got 67g Zealios and absolutely loved them. The bump is more pronounced than browns as they are based on clears but with a lighter spring, as well as being lubed, as well as using a case that is more friendly to LED lighting.
ATM they are my favorite tactile cherry mx based switch.
The only negative is bottom out sound, they sound a bit hollow compared to authentic cherry. That doesn't personally bother me though, but it does some people. Zealios switches tend to actively prevent bottoming out, though not quite as severe as mx clears that they are based on.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 09:02:43 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 11:29:07 »
I love them. Personally I got 67g Zealios and absolutely loved them. The bump is more pronounced than browns as they are based on clears but with a lighter spring, as well as being lubed, as well as using a case that is more friendly to LED lighting.
ATM they are my favorite tactile cherry mx based switch.
The only negative is bottom out sound, they sound a bit hollow compared to authentic cherry. That doesn't personally bother me though, but it does some people. Zealios switches tend to actively prevent bottoming out, though not quite as severe as mx clears that they are based on.

Have you tried using Zealencios on them to damped the bottoming out? I personally like using 0.2mm O-rings on my 78g Zeals to quiet them down a touch. Still feel great even with the reduced travel.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 02:59:00 »
If you have a decently sized budget, Zealios will be good for you.

If you don't want your life savings to be gone, Outemu ICE is good, but it's slightly scratchy and also has a very sharp and short bump.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Rumpleteazer

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 12:58:07 »
A bit late, but thank you for the help everyone! All of your post were so helpful.

I picked up the 78g Zealios and I can't wait to start my build with them!

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 18:34:11 »
I was in the same boat myself went from MX Browns to MX Clear and now fully immersed in Zealio feels.

I got 67g as that was supposedly between MX Browns and MX Clears but didn't end up liking them as much as I thought I would.

I'm now typing on R7 78g Zealios and they are definitely my favorite. The springs are stiff enough that I no longer have accidental switch actuations and the tactility is fantastic compared to the lighter variants.

I would say go with either the 65g or 67g variants and start there. See how you like it. You can also try lubing them and see if you like them better that way before trying other variants.

I was under the impression the Zealios come pre-lubed?
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 18:36:20 by jcoffin1981 »
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 18:50:38 »

I was under the impression the Zealios come pre-lubed?

I was also under this impression that they where pre lubed. That Mod-M switches where lubed.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 20:43:40 »
If you have a decently sized budget, Zealios will be good for you.

If you don't want your life savings to be gone, Outemu ICE is good, but it's slightly scratchy and also has a very sharp and short bump.
can confirm, Outemu ICE sort of feel like an in between of MX Clears and Zealios.