Author Topic: Keyboards with MX green switches?  (Read 4726 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Keyboards with MX green switches?
« on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 07:02:43 »
Where can I find keyboards with mx green switches?
TKL format.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline losing_ctrl

Re: Keyboards with MX green switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 10:42:18 »
WASD Keyboards seem to have them, for example...

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-88-key-iso-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

I've owned a 104 key WASD keyboard with MX greens and was perfectly happy with the build quality and looks. In the end, MX Greens just lost out to my other boards (Topre/Matias).

Good luck in your search.

Offline maylily

• Custom keyboard | Artisan keycap
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 23:50:30 »
Where can I find keyboards with mx green switches?
TKL format.

WASD seem best choice for u  :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 13:17:33 »
Is this the only choice?

I remember Cooler Master had mxgreen keyboard, not anymore I guess...

However what about those new Cooler master with BPT caps - they supposed to be in mx green flavor too?
Where can you buy those?

Apart of those - is there anything else?
So all heavy clicky lovers need to solder those switches themselves?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 20:45:29 »
Is this the only choice?

However what about those new Cooler master with BPT caps - they supposed to be in mx green flavor too?
Where can you buy those?

Is it definately not required, but it necessary if you want something specific. Unfortunately, greens are far less popular than blues. I personally love greens, but they are too heavy for most people. I find them the perfect weight. However, I do like to use a blue switch as the shift keys, for obvious reasons. Such things are impossible to find on pre-assembled boards.

Also, I like gateron greens better than cherry greens, so if you do decide to solder yourself, it would be worth looking into different brands until you find the one that satisfies you the most.

It sounds like you aren't too keen on picking up a new skill, so the above comment will probably suit your needs.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 October 2017, 20:48:16 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 09:51:33 »
Is this the only choice?

Where can you buy those?

Is it definately not required, but it necessary if you want something specific. Unfortunately, greens are far less popular than blues. I personally love greens, but they are too heavy for most people. I find them the perfect weight. However, I do like to use a blue switch as the shift keys, for obvious reasons. Such things are impossible to find on pre-assembled boards.

Also, I like gateron greens better than cherry greens, so if you do decide to solder yourself, it would be worth looking into different brands until you find the one that satisfies you the most.

It sounds like you aren't too keen on picking up a new skill, so the above comment will probably suit your needs.

I'll be honest with you - I would prefer original Filco or CM keyboard with greens, not sure about WASD boards.

However, I'm looking for white Filco keyboard and I think I will try my luck with soldering.

Can you explain the difference between mx and Gateron greens? Why do you prefer Gaterons?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 10:53:26 »

I'll be honest with you - I would prefer original Filco or CM keyboard with greens, not sure about WASD boards.

However, I'm looking for white Filco keyboard and I think I will try my luck with soldering.

Can you explain the difference between mx and Gateron greens? Why do you prefer Gaterons?

So the title should read, "Where can i find filcos and QFRs with greens?"?

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 14:13:58 »
Is this the only choice?

Where can you buy those?

A long time ago, the reverse was actually true, but many of the complaints people had with gateron greens no longer apply. However, as a general statement, they actually don't feel as nice, UNTIL YOU LUBE THEM. The problem with the gateron switch stems from the fact the housing is slightly too tight, but that is fixed with lube, but that problem actually leads to some desirable side effects. 

Personally I find the sound and feel of recently manufactured lubed gateron greens to be better than lubed cherry greens. The tighter housing that would cause them to not feel nice leads to the switch feeling smoother, more constant, and less rattly in feel and sound from switch to switch after the slider railing is lubed. Additionally, the fact that the top housing is frosted transparent plastic means that keycap illumination is more even. Beyond that, the tactility feels sharper, and the click sounds more confident. To others, they may like the softer tactility and mellower click of cherries.

The reason I use blue switches on the shift keys is because the the pinky finger is weaker so the shift key will feel stiffer to the pinky compared to other keys, and doesn't feel right. Since greens are quite heavy, the effect is intensified, and can actually cause my pinky to compensate unnaturally, leading to fatigue, so throwing a blue switch in those actually feels more consistent and less fatiguing. Instead of using a blue switch, you could simply use a light weight spring, but this is actually doing exactly the same thing.

I am sure some people will disagree with some of the things I say, so it is important to try things yourself and draw your own conclusions. Opinions on gateron greens are usually heavily conflicting :) It seems to be a polarizing switch.

PS: I should point out that if you lube greens with thick lube, the click sleeve won't work, unless you are VERY careful.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 October 2017, 20:40:09 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 06:55:56 »
Hmm... Then looking at this one - https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2638

I wouldn't have to solder anything and would get what I want - white keyboard with mx greens...

What is the official opinion on those Ducky keyboards?
Are they ok? Good quality, similar to Cooler Master for example or Filco?

EDIT: holly molly.. $109 for keyboard is fine, but then $45.55 for delivery to UK... :confused: :-[
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 October 2017, 06:59:18 by phinix »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 07:21:28 »
Hmm... Then looking at this one - https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2638

I wouldn't have to solder anything and would get what I want - white keyboard with mx greens...

EDIT: holly molly.. $109 for keyboard is fine, but then $45.55 for delivery to UK... :confused: :-[

You can always email their support and see if they have any cheaper options for shipping but that amount isn't unreasonable.

I do think their website doesn't always calculate international shipping correctly but based on estimates from usps.com the cheapest quick and dirty number I could calculate was ~$35 first class with no insurance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 October 2017, 07:25:09 by SpAmRaY »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 07:49:13 »

Ducky is pretty well known for good quality, so no need to worry.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 11:53:31 »
Varmilo offers a cherry MX green option as well http://en.varmilo.com/ and ships internationally or you can purchase one at CAPSLOCKUNLUCKED or CandyKey store.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 October 2017, 12:10:38 by moh18one »

Offline kultra

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 03:23:08 »
Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT (ANSI)

http://www.cmstore.eu/peripheral/cooler-master-masterkeys-s-pbt-ansi/

The green switches are available only in Europe, in US they have silver switches instead of green, but on amazon.com they are sold out. They are selling like hotcakes.
In Europe they had blue switches too, but now they aren't available.
I'm tempted by the green switches, but I'm not sure I want to pay 99.95 Euro + 25 shipping. I read that the feeling is the same as IBM Model M and I'm not impressed by it.

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 11:48:01 »
I would love to buy this CM Masterkeys PBT with mx greens, but cannot find one:(

Offline kultra

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 03:33:48 »
If you follow the link from my first post you can order from there.
Select "Cherry MX-Green", "add to cart" and then "proceed to checkout", is that simple.
Make sure to make a review when you receive it and let us know if you like it.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 03:00:00 by kultra »