Author Topic: IBM Model M122 "battlecruiser" keyboard review  (Read 7028 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
IBM Model M122 "battlecruiser" keyboard review
« on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 06:13:21 »
The IBM battlecruiser! Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline khronokrator

Re: IBM Model M122 "battlecruiser" keyboard review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 22:49:29 »
I definitely agree with you regarding the case, chyros. I've always preferred these over the original F-122 design - I had some half-baked ideas for a conversion project at some point, but I definitely don't have the technical skills to pull it off.

Plus, I like the square silver badge of the old battleships too much.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 08:46:10 »
I definitely agree with you regarding the case, chyros. I've always preferred these over the original F-122 design - I had some half-baked ideas for a conversion project at some point, but I definitely don't have the technical skills to pull it off.

Plus, I like the square silver badge of the old battleships too much.
I think if the battleship had the battlecruiser case but with the LARGE square badge in the left corner instead it's be pretty amazing :D .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline opt1mus

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 12:39:29 »
Unicomp are making what appears to be an M122, yet to see a review on it; though I expect it'd be similar in build to their other models, i.e. the thinner plastics etc.
1989 IBM Model M - ISO NL
1991 IBM Model M - ANSI US
Ultimate daskeyboard - ANSI

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 19:58:20 »
Unicomp are making what appears to be an M122, yet to see a review on it; though I expect it'd be similar in build to their other models, i.e. the thinner plastics etc.

You mean this?

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB40B5A

Apparently it does have some issues.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline opt1mus

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 20:31:49 »
The very same, thank you, clearly I didn't look hard enough.

This is enough to put me off - considering the price, shame as it's such an iconic keyboard.

Kudos to dorkvader for sharing their work, too.
1989 IBM Model M - ISO NL
1991 IBM Model M - ANSI US
Ultimate daskeyboard - ANSI

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 19:48:36 »
The very same, thank you, clearly I didn't look hard enough.

This is enough to put me off - considering the price, shame as it's such an iconic keyboard.

Kudos to dorkvader for sharing their work, too.

You can occasionally get them at a substantial discount - I've seen them listed in 2 or 3 places (a while back though) for a relatively small amount of money.  The sort of money that you could spend on it to see if it is as bad as rumoured, but shipping from US to Australia for something that big and heavy put me off.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ