Author Topic: Has anyone tried these new IBM Model F buckling spring keyboard reissues?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline AveryFreeman

• AveryFreeman.com
Supposedly like the model M but new ... (?)

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Has anyone tried these new IBM Model F buckling spring keyboard reissues?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 17:26:00 »
I don't think that any of them have been released into the real world yet.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 18:49:34 »
He's been bringing the prototypes to meetups. They're not publicly available yet, however.

I've tried the prototype, and it's absolutely as good as the real thing. Ellipse is a perfectionist, and these will be perfect once they're done.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 18:51:08 »
Supposedly like the model M but new ... (?)

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

Still waiting for my F77 model.  It'll soon arrive but I think it maybe during early 2018.

Well worth the money and the wait for this baby, a far better version of the Model-F series.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 19:55:22 »
Damn, I (misfired) thought some of the pics floating around were from an earlier batch. Even said something to that effect in IRC like a numskull. Long time for production.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 20:55:27 »
Damn, I (misfired) thought some of the pics floating around were from an earlier batch. Even said something to that effect in IRC like a numskull. Long time for production.

Take a dig through the thread -- He's currently waiting on some sample springs from China. He wanted to get them from an American manufacturer, but they didn't sound quite right. He had the alloy tested, and the factory in USA didn't offer it, so to get the right sound, he had to find a new one.

There's so much information in that thread, it's a great read. Highly recommend. Everyone is going to be so excited once they get their boards.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 21:34:09 »

Take a dig through the thread -- He's currently waiting on some sample springs from China. He wanted to get them from an American manufacturer, but they didn't sound quite right. He had the alloy tested, and the factory in USA didn't offer it, so to get the right sound, he had to find a new one.

There's so much information in that thread, it's a great read. Highly recommend. Everyone is going to be so excited once they get their boards.

Fair enough. I'll take a peak at what's to come. I'm beginning to understand the perfectionist part--acoustic quality seems like a whole new level of perfection.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:33:23 »
These will become as collectible as the originals.  It's a monumental undertaking with some serious investment capital (with a substantial return), and will yield one of the greatest products to hit the keyboard world for buckling spring fans since the originals.

And something tells me that once these catch on, they will be available in following years with slight variations, v1, v2, etc just like Das and Matias have been doing.  :thumb:

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 15:25:51 »
Goddamit, I thought I was cured and done buying keyboards.

I must have one of these.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 10:17:12 »
Goddamit, I thought I was cured and done buying keyboards.

I must have one of these.
It's easy to relapse with GH!  :thumb:  :eek:

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 14:36:22 »
That sure is a tempting keyboard. It is interesting to think of how far the community has gone when Model F reproductions are getting ready to hit the market! Excellent work.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 01:53:43 »
*sigh*

Going to have to wait another 20-30 years before these start appearing on the secondhand market at reduced prices.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ