Author Topic: Apple IIgs vs Apple M0116 (Orange ALPS) Opinions  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Floofs

Apple IIgs vs Apple M0116 (Orange ALPS) Opinions
« on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 09:30:30 »
I was wondering which of these two you like more or would prefer. The Apple IIgs 658-4081 (made in Japan/Orange ALPS) Seems to have a smaller case and thicker keycaps, but it has kind of strange keycaps and has a much more polarizing look IMO. I honestly just can't decide if i like the look of it or not   :-\

Here's the M0116:
184321-0

Here's the IIgs:
184323-1

The M0116 on the other hand has larger bezels and has more normal looking keycaps, but they aren't quite as thick and have pretty flat top.

PS: I have been here for like a month and I've bought 4 keyboards... I don't make enough money for this!! I got an Everex with space invaders, then an Apple M0116 (Orange ALPS), then a Chicony with White ALPS for the click leaves that I put into the M0116, and now I just ordered a IIgs and I haven't found many reviews or opinions on it here.

Was my most recent purchase a bad idea? I loved the tactile oranges and also loved the click mod oranges so I wanted both..  :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 December 2017, 09:15:00 by Floofs »

Offline rich1051414

Re: Apple IIgs vs Apple M0116 (Orange ALPS) Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 21:36:50 »
I like the retro look of the Apple IIgs, but I don't know if I would actually like typing on it or not.

Also, imo, I would leave orange alps as they are. They aren't clicky but man do they feel nice. I would worry about messing with something that isn't broken.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I thought the Apple IIgs has amber alps. They are like blue alps but more tactile/heavier. I would DEFINITELY leave those alone if they are amber alps, they are already clicky.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 December 2017, 21:41:03 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 02:16:33 »
From what I recall, the layout on the IIgs is a bit weirder, but it arguably looks a bit nicer. The keycaps are those weird Apple flat ones, which are excellent but not the best-ever looking IMO.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Floofs

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 09:18:29 »
I like the retro look of the Apple IIgs, but I don't know if I would actually like typing on it or not.

Also, imo, I would leave orange alps as they are. They aren't clicky but man do they feel nice. I would worry about messing with something that isn't broken.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I thought the Apple IIgs has amber alps. They are like blue alps but more tactile/heavier. I would DEFINITELY leave those alone if they are amber alps, they are already clicky.
Yeah I really like them just as tactile switches, but I had heard that click-modded Orange ALPS were comparable to Blue ALPS (some even like it more) so I had to try it! And sure enough it was great  :thumb: So I decided to order another board with Orange ALPS so I could have clicky and tactile

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 December 2017, 09:21:55 by Floofs »

Offline Floofs

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 09:20:55 »
From what I recall, the layout on the IIgs is a bit weirder, but it arguably looks a bit nicer. The keycaps are those weird Apple flat ones, which are excellent but not the best-ever looking IMO.
The actual key layout is exactly the same, that was one thing that was attractive to me since I'll get used to the layout more easily. But I'm glad those weird keycaps feel nice 'cause I'm still not sure if I like how they look

Offline Floofs

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 13:23:29 »

Oh the Amber ALPS were in the Apple IIc replacement keyboard. Yeah I wouldn't have messed with those.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:53:29 »
I used to have a bunch of the M0116 keyboards. They were a pretty solid performer. I used them on Mac SE's.

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Floofs

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:59:02 »
I used to have a bunch of the M0116 keyboards. They were a pretty solid performer. I used them on Mac SE's.

Show Image

I've enjoyed it a lot. Especially since I can add layers to make up for some missing keys.

Unfortunately when my "Made in Japan" IIgs came in it had the white SMK tactile switches... which have been nice, but I don't like them nearly as much as the orange. And I don't like that I can't take it apart