Author Topic: Hello from Brazil  (Read 4999 times)

Offline fcoury

Hello from Brazil
« on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 11:51:24 »
I am super new to this mechanical keyboard thing. My trigger was a friend and co-worker that was using a Cooler Master Rapid-i with Cherry MX Brown switches. He was telling me how much he loved it and how one of his new year's resolution was to learn to properly touch type using the home row, etc.

So I started researching and found /r/MechanicalKeyboard and I fell in love. Particular to those colorful beautiful DSA keysets with awesome fonts. The main issue is that I live in Brazil and importing things here is a pain in the ass. It takes forever and you always end up paying 2-2.5x the product price.

However, I was decided to get my hands on a mech keyboard so I ordered a CM Rapid-i that had some burnt LEDs to get a feeling of the Brown switches myself. I bought this one locally from our own incarnation of an eBay like website called Mercado Livre.

This happened around new year's so the shipping would take almost a week to get here. And I reeeeally wanted to try a mechanical keyboard so I ended up going to a local computer store and got one of the keyboards that are easy to find: I got the Razer Chroma Tournament v2 with Blue switches.

And of course, I loved it! The blue switches are awesome... But in this interim, my CM Rapid-i with brown switches arrived and I was really pleased with the browns as well, but to be honest the burnt LEDs was a downer for me.

Here are my next steps on this new journey:

- ordered a new tada68 with silver alu case from KBDfans on AliExpress
- ordered this custom keycaps [1], from AliExpress as well
- currently in love and considering buying the ErgoDox-EZ - I do programming for a living and after watching this guy use the ErgoDox on this YouTube video [2] I was hooked -- are there any foreigners or maybe even Brazilians here that bought? How long did it take to arrive?

So with all that I currently became addicted to checking tracking codes every hour or so, even though they obviously don't change at all -- many haven't even been picked up by the carrier  :)

Last but not least -- super excited to start being a part of this community.

--
[1] https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-product-104-108-125-PBT-Thick-Keycap-Dye-Sublimated-ANSI-layout-Cherry-MX-Switch-Keycap/32815810006.html
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78RtO38wOwIπ

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
Re: Hello from Brazil
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:25:21 »
Haha!  Your journey/addiction has begun!  Welcome!   :thumb:

Offline fcoury

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:26:33 »
Haha!  Your journey/addiction has begun!  Welcome!   :thumb:

Thanks man!

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 14:29:52 »
Bem-vindo ao GeekHack!

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 14:44:12 »
Hi there, welcome  :D

Not really sure about the ergodox shipping, but you can always use some kind of forwarding service. I use it all the time, most shops wont ship here, or just wont ship declaring a lower value on the package so customs doesn't rape me. I just send everything to shipito, declare gift / $20, and it usually goes through with no tax or at least with a much lower tax than it would if full price was declared.

Offline fcoury

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 18:34:38 »
Bem-vindo ao GeekHack!

Nice to see other Brazilians here. Can you tell me a little bit about your keyboards, keycaps and where/how you buy them? I am mostly buying stuff from AliExpress and they take aaaages to get here.

Do you know other Brazilian members?

Offline fcoury

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 18:35:42 »
Hi there, welcome  :D

Not really sure about the ergodox shipping, but you can always use some kind of forwarding service. I use it all the time, most shops wont ship here, or just wont ship declaring a lower value on the package so customs doesn't rape me. I just send everything to shipito, declare gift / $20, and it usually goes through with no tax or at least with a much lower tax than it would if full price was declared.

Yes I created an account with Shipito, how do you send it to you usually? Using the cheap version with no tracking or a faster way like DHL?

Offline tautologico

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 10:23:15 »
Olá. Também sou novo por aqui.

Offline fcoury

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 10:26:19 »
Olá. Também sou novo por aqui.

Bem vindo! What keyboard are you currently using?

I started on this hobby maybe 3, 4 weeks ago around christmas and I already have 3 keyboards: a Cooler Master Rapid-i with MX Brown, a Razer Chroma Tournament v2 with Blues and a white Anne Pro with Gateron Browns. I am also waiting for a tada68 and some keycaps...

Offline tautologico

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 11:11:09 »
I probably spend more than I should on keyboard stuff. I have a few of them, and I often try a new keyboard and sell it after a while if I don't like it. Also my "taste" changed a lot after learning to touch type properly.

Some of my favorites are, in no particular order:
  • Topre Realforce 87u 55g Black
  • Vortex Pok3r with MX Clears
  • Filco Majestouch Ninja with MX Blacks
  • Logitech G-Pro (I don't like MX Browns very much but I do like the Romer-Gs)
  • Unicomp Spacesaver M Black

A lot of this stuff I bought used or bought in the US and I probably wouldn't buy them from here because of the importing taxes. Currently negotiating with a friend to buy a WASD with MX Greens from him, it's the only one of the (major) types of MX switch I haven't tried yet. I'd like to get a Vortex 75% but have to wait until I can buy one without paying taxes.

I think the Chinese keyboards and switches have improved a lot recently. There are some cheap models being sold with brazilian brands that are quite enjoyable (almost always with Blue-like switches). But there are some duds too.

I think the next step for me is to buy the components from AliExpress and assemble my own keyboards. There are many interesting switch options that are hard to see in branded boards. I don't have a "favorite" switch, I like some of them and dislike some others, and I like to rotate the keyboards that I like, spend a few months using one, then change to another, and so on (also I have more than one computer so I can have more than one keyboard in use at the same time).

Offline fcoury

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 11:15:04 »
I think the next step for me is to buy the components from AliExpress and assemble my own keyboards. There are many interesting switch options that are hard to see in branded boards. I don't have a "favorite" switch, I like some of them and dislike some others, and I like to rotate the keyboards that I like, spend a few months using one, then change to another, and so on (also I have more than one computer so I can have more than one keyboard in use at the same time).

I would love to talk more about this idea. I almost bought a soldering station the other day in Mercado Livre (https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-865200805-estaco-de-solda-hakko-fx888d-lead-free-127v-original-_JM) to start learning how to proper solder PCBs and switches.

I usually go abroad two or three times a year, so I might get more KBs and stuff while I'm there, but I haven't gone after I started with this hobby.

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 13:23:08 »
Bem-vindo ao GeekHack!

Nice to see other Brazilians here. Can you tell me a little bit about your keyboards, keycaps and where/how you buy them? I am mostly buying stuff from AliExpress and they take aaaages to get here.

Do you know other Brazilian members?

I lived in Sao Paulo, Brazil for many years and I speak Portuguese almost without an accent. I don't know any other Brazilian members here. I am in the process of overhauling my entire keyboard collection. Currently, I am using a custom 60% build and a Planck. I buy a lot of stuff through Massdrop, and the various small internet stores such as 1Up, TechKeys, etc... and also Amazon.   AliExpress will ship everything via that "slow boat from China" ;)

Offline Chevy_Monsenhor

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 11:59:52 »
Great to see the brazilian comunity here!
Keyboards: Leopold FC900R (Pinks), Logitech G613
Mice: Glorious Model O (Glossy), Logitech G305

Offline fcoury

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 12:01:58 »
Great to see the brazilian comunity here!

Hey there! Welcome to the community! I created a Brazilian Mechanical Keyboard community in Reddit as well, if you want to join us:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mkbr/

Bem vindo!

Offline unzer

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 22:10:00 »
salve salve caralho