Author Topic: [IC] GMK Neon Gelatin Evangelism - On Hold  (Read 84934 times)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
[IC] GMK Neon Gelatin Evangelism - On Hold
« on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:49:05 »
Update 5/20/18
Setting a halfway firm launch date of late July for launching this. Should be a nice break from purple between now and then and be the nice break the set needs to get all the support it can.

Update 4-14-18
Due to the keyset congestion at the moment as well as delays on GMK's end, we're temporarily putting this set on hold until there's a period of fewer sets running, especially those in similar colorspaces.

Update 3-27-18
Current kit mockups can be seen at https://imgur.com/a/XoUNe
An album of renders can be found at https://imgur.com/a/6psTi

More
Update 3-11-18
https://imgur.com/gallery/gdyfN
Some lovely full renders by amnesia to really get the hype flowing

Update 3-8-18
These are the mockups for the various kits at this point in time:

Base Kit

AE Mods Kit

Spacebars Kit

40% Kit

Novelties Kit - Blank keys are placeholders for wip designs

Hopefully we'll be looking to get GMK mockups and initial quotes early next week.

Update 3-1-18
Created a new IC form to focus on kit design since we had pretty outstanding colorway support
Form link - https://donutcables.com/gmk-neon-gelatin-evangelism-ic/
Backup link(mostly for mobile) - https://goo.gl/forms/G48DEmhNUjKm4uOT2
Imgur album of current kits - https://imgur.com/a/AvjfB

Nicknamed GMK "shinji, get in the ****ing robot". It's green, it's purple, and it's most likely less psychologically traumatizing than its namesake.

A collab between myself and sir amnesia0287 on the Discord, we bring you what is currently monotone AE on DY, mostly because it's a neat color combination but also because we can have a good excuse to use the available sublegends with this particular inspirational material. We will be looking to add at least AE accent keys for Esc, Enters, Spacebars, and Arrows in the future, as well as some appropriate novelty designs that I'm sure you'll enjoy. There's also a possibility of some orange accent keys, but we'll need to evaluate the price drawbacks of adding a third color to the set.

Let me know what you think. If you're going to just comment something like "ugly", maybe please add some constructive criticism so I have the chance to improve.

Turns out I forgot to post a link to the actual IC form :| Find it at https://donutcables.com/gmk-neon-gelatin-evangelism-ic/ or if you're having issues on mobile find it at https://goo.gl/forms/svhE5y7DWILk2qeo2 .

Also, I've updated the mockup to reflect some current accent key inclusions

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 September 2018, 20:21:09 by donutcat »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] GMK Neon Gelatin Evangelism
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:54:35 »
KLE is ugly, need to pay for some renders :rolleyes:

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:10:31 »
I mean, I'm not gonna pay for renders for the initial spitballing. Good news is I don't have to anyhow since I'm working with someone who can do some renders

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:12:11 »
Looks like Troubled Minds, I'm sure there will be a good amount of crossover there.

Offline Jhors2

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:35:07 »
I really like it assuming the green and the purple is correct.  Purple base color makes a lot more sense than green IMO.
Duck Blackbird | Duck LSv3 | Duck Unicorn X Legend |  TX-75 | Mira SE | LZ-CP | LZ Iron | LZ Ergo | Duck Jet Fire | OTD 360 Corsa Apple Silver | TGR-910 CE

Incoming: Zeal Zephyr | Duck TC-V3 | Singa R2 | LZ GH v2 | Noxary 280 S | Noxary 220 S

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:48:39 »
I think orange Esc/Enter/space accents would fit better thematically with that being 01's actual accent color, but it may invoke some Spyro.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:56:23 by a_ak57 »

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:49:26 »
If you could do an EVA-02 version as well that would be something I'd be interested in. This colorway is really difficult to use in general, which was the weakness of the EVA Noctilucous set.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:52:01 »
Full purple not for me, something more in line with Troubled Minds with a more Eva theme color palet then I'm sold.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:08:26 »
Looks like Troubled Minds, I'm sure there will be a good amount of crossover there.

my thought as well
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:12:40 »
Instead of doing AE accent keys, maybe go with an orange to mimic the 01's actual accents?  Though I guess that may invoke a Spyro look instead.

We are definitely considering orange, have already started testing it too, the problem is when you add 3 colors costs go up. Trying to figure out what the best option is. The green accents keep it cheap.

Unit 01 is actually more green than orange anyway:

That said, Evangelion isn't really the inspiration for me anyway, it's just the first thing people think of. Basically I was talking to donutcat about other sets I want cause I <3 weeb legends, and the one idea wouldnt work cause of current timing, so i suggested purple and green cause I like anything purple and donutcat likes green and the colors go well together imo.

I have also had the colors stuck in my head for a while though, and it's not from Eva, but I haven't quite pinned down what it reminds me of. My old constructicon toys were also the same colors (purple green orange) but I don't think that's it either. I think maybe it's just the horrible 90's colors in general (and it IS a standard Triadic color scheme):

Now, I don't mind leaning into the eva theme, because it is what people will recognize, but It's not a must have/ deal breaker for me. I'm pretty simple as all i use are 60/65%, so I'm not super hung up on anything, so if people have preference for certain things, certain keys, specific legends or modifiers, etc, just say so.

Full purple not for me, something more in line with Troubled Minds with a more Eva theme color palet then I'm sold.

Donutcat prefers the simpler look of mostly purple, it also helps keep costs down, my actual preference is something like this:

(Still creating keps and then ill fix alignment and then fix symbols. Also think i'd probably change the orange keys to have purple legends, i just was playing).

The question is can it be done cost effectively, is there enough interest for something so loud, etc. If there are tons of people interested in doing it, I'm all for the super loud eye melting sets. I love bright sets and there are already plenty of options for more muted things (i like those too). I mean ****, if there are enough people we could actually do custom colors and get a more saturated green :P. But I think that's wishful thinking really.

The other problem is that gets closer to troubled minds and I don't really wanna step on anyones toes. All I really care about is green weeb legends on purple alphas, ill take whatever other changes people want :P.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:15:55 »
Oh also, while it would be much more of a pipe dream, I think doing transparent purple with the green legends could be really cool, but custom color thus 250 moq.

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:42:59 »
Oh also, while it would be much more of a pipe dream, I think doing transparent purple with the green legends could be really cool, but custom color thus 250 moq.

Need pics because that sounds super dope.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:44:18 »
I think that I like this... I can not decide. I love the sub legends.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 20:18:12 »

Need pics because that sounds super dope.

Maybe R2 :P. I think doing a full trans set is gonna be a lot harder than other options. Gotta wait for GMK to actually produce some keys and see how they look too. I wanna see how the laser ones turn out first.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 20:33:25 »
Realized that I forgot the actual link to the IC form, like a dummy. Find it at https://donutcables.com/gmk-neon-gelatin-evangelism-ic/ or https://goo.gl/forms/svhE5y7DWILk2qeo2 if you're having issues with mobile. Also, updated mockup

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 20:48:52 »
This set is going to be dope as ****. Please make it happen cappin! Also, don't forget to add Green Spacebar Kit!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:32:01 »
This set is going to be dope as ****. Please make it happen cappin! Also, don't forget to add Green Spacebar Kit!

Poking at a spacebar kit currently, as well as a 40% kit since there seems to be noticeable interest in that.

Offline d0thead

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:43:39 »
I love the colors! Will there be a hiragana legend without the Latin option? And if so would it be possible to make an icon mod set to go with it?

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:46:30 »
I love the colors! Will there be a hiragana legend without the Latin option? And if so would it be possible to make an icon mod set to go with it?

Need a LOT of people interested to do hiragana set. I actually prefer hiragana myself, but I'm also totally aware that it's less popular. The hybrid set is much more likely to succeed.

Oh, and at least personally I don't really care what modifier set is used, as long as it's NOT text only. Standard, Icons Only, Custom Icons, etc are all good with me tho.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:53:04 by Amnesia »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 22:21:54 »

Due to the constraints of running a set through a private vendor and the unfortunate fact that private vendors usually have difficulties moving sets with too many options, I'm opting to keep the available kit contents fairly simply. Dual legends for the alphas so they're accessible for both those that want latin and those that want hiragana. Sticking with a single mod kit, icons+text, though there is the chance of adding in more accents and some novelties to gowith the single mod set. There will be a spacebars kit for green "normal" size spacebars as well as green and purple split spacebars. I'm currently working on setting up a 40% kit for both stagger and ortho boards and I'm hoping to have a mockup available for input soon since I'm not familiar with smaller boards and will likely need to make adjustments. Finally, there'll be a blanks pack to assist in covering those hard to fill layouts, or for someone just looking to have a ballin blanks setup.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 23:51:15 »

This is the proposed 40% kit currently. I believe I've got coverage there for most 40% needs, but let me know if it needs adjusting.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:09:16 »
I do like the idea of a GMK Troubled Minds set

have you considered talking to thesiscamper about this?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:16:54 »
It is not Troubled Minds and it will not be Troubled Minds. I don't want a copy of another set, I want it to be my own set thematically. Purple mods are here to stay and the closest we'd get to having the green mods would be an accents pack.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:18:03 »
This WILL be the set that replaces hyperfuse on my VE.A
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:19:32 »
Well, I've already expressed my interest on the discord, but I'll say it again here. Purple and green just happen to look especially good together to me, and I'm also a fan of hirigana. Really, I think I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another purple set.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 06:26:42 »
Love the look of this and if we want get a greenspace as well I'm all in!

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 07:25:56 »
Keep in mind that the UK alphas with weeb sublegends don't exist yet, so those will need some molding cost paid for.

Otherwise, +1 for unicolored sets, there needs to be more of them.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 10:09:06 »
Keep in mind that the UK alphas with weeb sublegends don't exist yet, so those will need some molding cost paid for.

Otherwise, +1 for unicolored sets, there needs to be more of them.

That's fine, I'm willing to do a couple molds if it helps compatibility out now and in the future. And yes, unicolor/monotone sets are just so clean looking, especially on layouts like 75%/96key that don't have gaps, it's just continuous smooth color.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 11:37:29 »
This is what I've got for working kits currently

Base Kit

Spacebars Kit

40% Kit

Mostly looking for feedback on the 40% kit since i don't know much about the layout requirements for smaller boards.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 13:58:07 »
I would be down for this. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 14:57:07 »

Show Image

Base Kit

Show Image

Spacebars Kit

Show Image

40% Kit

Mostly looking for feedback on the 40% kit since i don't know much about the layout requirements for smaller boards.

check the 9009 40's kit

also, i don't know if vendor numbers will be good enough for a 40% kit, but i guess you'd know better than i would
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 15:29:06 »

Show Image

Base Kit

Show Image

Spacebars Kit

Show Image

40% Kit

check the 9009 40's kit

also, i don't know if vendor numbers will be good enough for a 40% kit, but i guess you'd know better than i would

That is what we used lol. There are blanks separate for planks and the space bars are in the spacebar kit, but this should provide decent coverage for most of the other boards. Even added a 1.5 enter for pearl :P.

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 15:29:47 »
Very nice I need more purple sets! Tyvm

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 16:03:00 »

I never knew I wanted this
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 16:36:13 »

Got this for a bit of an updated 40% kit after poking around with the 9009 kit. If we did the AE mods kit then I'd also have to dupe some of these keys so they'd also be AE.

In other news, whoever this is

please get ahold of me, I don't have any way to know who you are just from the form submission.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 12:41:43 »

Proposed AE Mods Kit

Updated 40% Kit, based off the 9009 40% kit but now with added AE mods.

Let me know your thoughts on these. 40% will be whittled back down a little if the AE mods kit doesn't happen. Currently working on novelty designs after receiving design requirements from GMK.

Also let me know thoughts on the AE mods kit. More kits for neat **** is nice, but also makes a bit of a harder sale sometimes(ala Royal Alpha). Right now we're at 4 with Base, Spacebars, AE Mods, and 40%, but I've still a blanks pack in the works as well that I'm not completely sold on either. This could actually end up happening relatively soon since after Red Samurai ends there'll be a bit of a lul in GMK, and it's right after taxes for lots of people.

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 12:49:53 »
I like the AE mods kit! I will be in for the base, AE and spacebars.

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 13:26:24 »
I would prefer green mods, and potentially a green spacebar in the original kit if you're only doing green accents

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 16:34:08 »
I would prefer green mods, and potentially a green spacebar in the original kit if you're only doing green accents

AE spacebars in the base could happen, but I'd probably have to move the 6u spacebars to the spacebar pack instead in order to have 6.25u and 7u AE spacebars since 8 spacebars in the base kit would be way too many.

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 17:06:16 »
Looking at this, you'd need both the spacebars kit and the 40% kit to actually cover a 40%

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 17:25:07 »
Looking at this, you'd need both the spacebars kit and the 40% kit to actually cover a 40%

That’s true, but if you put them in the 40s kit, then all split spacebar users are forced to buy the more expensive 40s kit just for spacebars.

I’d argue that 40s are more niche than split space.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 17:27:03 »
Oh also, keeping the spacebars separate means people could get extra split spacebars for other purple and Green sets.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 17:32:22 »
sure
I love Elzy

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 17:39:56 »

That’s true, but if you put them in the 40s kit, then all split spacebar users are forced to buy the more expensive 40s kit just for spacebars.

Wait, do you honestly think that? How big is the split space community? I rarely EVER see boards with split space EXCEPT for 40%s.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:33:27 »

Wait, do you honestly think that? How big is the split space community? I rarely EVER see boards with split space EXCEPT for 40%s.

I'm personally an advocate of proper spacebar usage, but I have seen 60% and I think 75% boards that support split bars. An easy solution would be split spaces in both the spacebars kit and the 40% kit, but then there may be complaints due to the price increase.

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:36:05 »
Yes to the AE mods kit, that's exactly what I was hoping you would possibly bring along with the set

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:41:58 »
100% down. i vote for either all icon mods or all text mods :3

i wouldn't say no to a purple on green set either.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:43:41 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:48:29 »
Would you consider adding a lime-green wasd cluster? I feel like that would look well alongside the lime green esc, spacebar, arrowkeys and enter.
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 22:23:25 »
Hmm, AE wasd could happen, not sure though, and someone else was wanting AE vim keys, which could also maybe happen. I'll have to see if either of those looks like they're adding too much to the base kit alongside the other updates.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 07:53:07 »
Just saw that you're considering an AE mods kit above. I support that 100%
There is no such thing as "too much orange."