Author Topic: Have you thought about your collection being sold for pennies in a garage sale?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I thought about what might happen to my MK stuff if I passed away. All those sets, plates, cases, and even the builts may be trashed directly, or maybe they will be sold for pennies in a garage sale. But I am sure that few may appreciate them. Maybe your case is different and you have relatives that also appreciate your passion for good typing devices.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Once they get that neuralink working, 99%+ will become trash.

With neuralink, the majority of people wouldn't learn to type.

Oh jeez Rick...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Once they get that neuralink working, 99%+ will become trash.

With neuralink, the majority of people wouldn't learn to type.

The Chinese version of it may oversee everything you do.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
I do all the time, why I made a living will recently. I would not wanna put my loved ones through the hassle of parsing out all my video games and TCG's, but there is easily a good $50 there at least.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I do all the time, why I made a living will recently. I would not wanna put my loved ones through the hassle of parsing out all my video games and TCG's, but there is easily a good $50 there at least.

I have to sell everything, but what I really use, before feeling too weak to do the cooking, then I may leave a few bucks, instead of piles of carton boxes with plastic caps and electronic garbage.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

I have to sell everything, but what I really use, before feeling too weak to do the cooking, then I may leave a few bucks, instead of piles of carton boxes with plastic caps and electronic garbage.

Money comes and goes, but some of those things you'll only ever have once and may be surprised how much you miss them when they are gone.
Earthbound on the SNES, my Clacks, Beta MTG Mox's, rare Jordan's, a KAWS painting. I know I will never ever own those things again, and even if I wanted to it would cost me so much more to rebuy now. All I have left are the memories and the regret.

Offline Findecanor

I have a letter with instructions to my family stored with other important papers. If I depart prematurely, they should find it.
There are other collectables than keyboards mentioned in it, as well as instructions to my funeral.

I had written the first version a decade ago when I had cancer before I went into surgery. But it would be a good idea even if there isn't anything imminent: you'll never know if you'll get run over by a car tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 April 2021, 20:19:35 by Findecanor »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I have a letter with instructions to my family stored with other important papers. If I depart prematurely, they should find it.
There are other collectables than keyboards mentioned in it, as well as instructions to my funeral.

I had written the first version a decade ago when I had cancer before I went into surgery. But it would be a good idea even if there isn't anything imminent: you'll never know if you'll get run over by a car tomorrow.

I am very glad that you made it: Is what champions do. The lesson you are sharing is invaluable, I should put my affairs in order, ASAP. Who knows?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
I thought about what might happen to my MK stuff if I passed away. All those sets, plates, cases, and even the builts may be trashed directly, or maybe they will be sold for pennies in a garage sale. But I am sure that few may appreciate them. Maybe your case is different and you have relatives that also appreciate your passion for good typing devices.

Mines will be stored in a vault underground lel

Offline Sniping

eh, happens all the time. i bought a magicforce keyboard for a dollar at a garange sale once and g80-5000 for $15 another time. long as it goes to a good home.

Offline yui

eh, happens all the time. i bought a magicforce keyboard for a dollar at a garange sale once and g80-5000 for $15 another time. long as it goes to a good home.
actually i would rather it be sold for pennies on a garage sale, that way others who do not have that much money may be able to start their journey into the vintage mk landscape on the cheap, although knowing my family, they'd rather put everything in the trash than sell anything for cheap, so i should not keep to many rare ones around.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline iri

No, the wife knows that my keyboards are pricey.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Wives always know. Wives are always tolerant, patient, and supportive.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Fortunately my son will know what to do with my stuff when that day comes.  I've already passed one of my CM boards to him, other than it was to harvest the Otemu Blues out of his $25 TKL he was using.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Wives always know. Wives are always tolerant, patient, and supportive.

Not all, and probably not most.  That's why there's are battered husbands help sites.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Well we know they weren't battered w/ a high-end custom, they wouldn't have the functions to type anymore.  So there's that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Well we know they weren't battered w/ a high-end custom, they wouldn't have the functions to type anymore.  So there's that.

Well of course not, Keyboards = Purity, only a psychopath would get blood which is corrosive on a keyboard.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

Well of course not, Keyboards = Purity, only a psychopath would get blood which is corrosive on a keyboard.

what about other body fluids?

Offline yui

****, i have had blood from a cut on my finger on my keyboard, now it is ruined :)
being a lazy and clumsy tinkerer i am bound to put blood on a keyboard at one point, and i am pretty sure i am not the only one.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
****, i have had blood from a cut on my finger on my keyboard, now it is ruined :)
being a lazy and clumsy tinkerer i am bound to put blood on a keyboard at one point, and i am pretty sure i am not the only one.

Oof

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal

When working on anything, there must be a blood sacrifice made - it is the way.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

I always wanted a sacrifice altar key with a nail sticking out of it

Offline Findecanor

I've said for a while now that it's not a real project unless you accidentally cut yourself and there is blood.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal

I always wanted a sacrifice altar key with a nail sticking out of it

Closest cap I have, minus the nail lol:

Offline Shapey Fiend

Obsolescence is on my mind quite a bit. My house is crammed with big antique furniture, which isn't in particularly good condition after 50 years of use and a no central heating. Whenever I inherit the place do I sell it off and replace it with cookie cutter mid-century knockoff stuff, or whatever is in at the time?

I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand I like how some of it looks. On the other hand having rooms of dressers and cabinets where the drawers don't open without a hard tug isn't very functional. My living room furniture is uncomfortable and can't be reupholstered cos it's some super strange construction. Springs are all sagging too. Things eventually move on but the modern equivalents are often a bad compromise.

Offline jamster

I don't have the space for collecting, but even when I did, the thought of having lots of unused stuff sitting around would just weigh on my mind as... wasted potential... and I was happier without it.

I've got maybe around 5-6 decent keyboards. Two are largely unused- an M which is kept because it's an M, and a BTC5100 which I haven't gotten around to disposing of somehow. All other keyboards are in at least semi-frequent use.

Edit: Of course, this overall approach to possessions puts me rather at odds with my spouse :/
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 April 2021, 05:05:03 by jamster »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I read somewhere about "accumulators", people that collect things compulsively and end with a bunch of unused stuff. Between that, and the "healthy" simplicity of minimalism, is the people that just get and keep what they need. I see myself more on the compulsive unhealthy side of the spectrum. For God´s mercy, I have a wife that keeps my accumulator-tendency somehow under control.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
This is something that has definitely crossed my mind a time or two. Thankfully my immediate family knows how valuable some of of KBs are & how much my collection of boards, parts, caps, etc. means to me so I doubt they'll get sold for pennies after my demise. I also have written a will of sorts (not notarized or officially legal) of who, where, or what for my things to go to or be done with. So hopefully the things that are important to me will not just be tossed out. Although this thread does remind me of a few clean outs of old abandoned office bldgs. I've done. The one we cleaned out around 2005 had a metric **** ton of old Model F, Model M, & ALPS boards we just tossed in the trash. I had no ideal about the hobby at the time & viewed them the same as everyone else at that time, just outdated electronics that nobody would have any good use for. We even offered them to a bunch of people who turned them down. When I think of it i wish I could go back in time, slap myself really hard on the back of the head, & tell myself "WTF are you thinking, take at least some of them home!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 April 2021, 11:06:00 by Rob27shred »