Author Topic: [IC] M.MM65%—space theme,New Technology, Marco+65%Layout  (Read 4117 times)

Offline KeebClack

M.MM65%
Designed by MY Studio

Inspiration
Design
Craftsmanship
Structure
Layout and PCB
Colourways
Specification

Design

Inspiration 3M65 is a keyboard designed with a space theme in mind. MY Studio's previous work was a personality keycap featuring an astronaut Shiba Inu named chai17. This time, the 3M65 keyboard serves as chai17's spacecraft for exploring deep space, starting with a journey beyond the solar system.

▼3M65 is a keyboard that combines the Marco + 65% layouts., designed by Brommumu. (Now you know the origin of this name.)The exterior features minimalist square elements, aiming to present a highly precise black monolith with a mysterious and enigmatic atmosphere reminiscent of the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey". The angles and chamfers of the 3M65 have been carefully considered to emphasize this distinctive feature. We combined the practicality of the 65% layout with the compactness and functionality of Marco, achieving a visually slim design.

▼ The highlight of this design is the side lighting on the left side of the keyboard. I incorporated a futuristic design to break away from flat designs. The three-dimensional shape resembles a muzzle brake on modern firearms (inspired by Alex Senechal's sci-fi gun designs). Titanium, known as a metal with excellent wear resistance, heat resistance, and corrosion resistance, is aptly referred to as "space metal." It perfectly suits the space theme of my design.
I applied titanium alloy as an optional material for the side lighting design. (The basic version is in  two-color anodized Alu.) During the development process, I experimented with various titanium metals, including titanium oxidation and the titanium Damascus steel shown in the image. The titanium Damascus steel, especially, features randomly formed patterns, representing its uniqueness. However, processing such high-strength materials posed a significant challenge for factory precision, but fortunately, the contract manufacturer was able to execute my design!

▼The backside features a schematic representation of the planets in the solar system, symbolizing chai17's first voyage into the universe and reflecting my endless imagination of space's wonders.

Craftsmanship

The outer shell of the keyboard is CNC manufactured by DM (Discover & Manufacture),The anodized surface is extremely smooth, and they have a highly developed Dual-Color Anodized process for various metals. We have collaborated closely with DM for the design of the 3M65 keyboard, and both the front panel and weight feature the Dual-Color Anodized technique. This process allows for the creation of two different colors on the aluminum surface.
▼A highlight to mention is the yellow top cover, which is a new technique employed by the DM manufacturing factory called "de-goldenization" anodized yellow. Some enthusiasts may be aware that there are two colors that cannot be achieved through anodization: white (resulting in anodized silver) and yellow (resulting in gold).
▼The following images showcase the dual-color anodized technique with yellow and gold.
▼Upon close examination, it is evident that the factory has achieved a meticulous metal fabrication with tight tolerances, resulting in a seamless integration between the upper and lower shells. The factory's high-precision manufacturing capabilities have played a crucial role in bringing the 3M65 keyboard closer to our desired representation of the monolithic black obelisk from the space odyssey depicted in the 2001 film.

Structure

▼The backside of the keyboard is covered with snap-on rubber sleeves to conceal the screw holes, resulting in a screwless design once the backside is assembled. This design offers a more convenient and quick disassembly compared to the front screw
design.

Layout and PCB

Colourways

Specification

Mount:  Gasket Mount
Case Material: Full CNC 6063 Aluminum
Typing Angle: 6.5°
Front Height: 20mm
Unassembled weight:1.3KG
Price: Estimated at $300-350.

Fill in Interest Check Form:

Join KeebClack’s Discord for latest update,: