Author Topic: Bes Dune ?  (Read 3675 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Bes Dune ?
« on: Thu, 21 October 2021, 10:50:46 »
Dune 1984 (film)

Dune 2000 (3eps Tv-show)

Children of Dune (2003 sequel to dune 2000. 3eps)

Dune 2021 (film, latest CGI)

Offline Shapey Fiend

Re: Bes Dune ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 October 2021, 17:06:18 »
Dune (1992)
Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty / Dune II: Battle for Arrakis (1992)
Dune 2000 (1998)
Emperor: Battle for Dune (2001)
Frank Herbert's Dune (2001)
Dune Generations (2001, cancelled)

I haven't actually played any of those. I haven't seen the movies or read the books either although I would like to someday.

Anyway, Jodorowsky's Dune is bes Dune.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 October 2021, 17:26:58 »
I watched Spice Diver's fan-edit of the 1984 movie the other day. A better edit than the two official edits but it did not dial down the weird, which I think it should have ...
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 October 2021, 14:45:12 by Findecanor »

Offline Exluna

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 October 2021, 22:53:49 »
Bes Dune is the book... Frank Herbert's Dune. Cos y'know... Imagination trumps everything.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 03:21:17 »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 03:38:54 »

The games were so so.

WHAT  :mad:

tp, where this blasphemy from?

For the time period, they're alrigh.... but if you try and play them now, it's mainly nostalgia.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 04:55:19 »
Oscar Isaac, who portrays Duke Leto Atreides,   IMHO not commanding, His voice/ demeanor is too soft.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 12:09:52 »
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 19:32:40 »
Ne1 thought the second half of dune 2021 was kinda boring ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 19:45:44 »
Only ever saw the David Lynch version, and from that all I remember is giant sandworms and The Baron.
Was there something about a box he sticks his hand in that causes great pain like those Amazonian ant gloves? Was that Dune? idk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 19:51:41 »
yea that was dune

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 11:10:49 »
"Are you a human or an animal?"

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 12:24:49 »
Went to Dune 2021 and it was like spice in that I was hoping for a good good time but instead I almost fell asleep. Mumblecore/asmr performances did nothing for me and I found the visuals pretty dry as well. Soundtrack and costumes were the only thing I thought were cool.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 13:00:25 »
With all the hype about the movie, I found it to be boring too. I've never seen a desert look that boring before. And it was not that clear why people did what they did. Without having read the book, I'd be lost.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 15:02:33 »
Seen "Part 1" now. Yeah, I also thought it was boring. And the "music" was mostly a god-awful scream.

I'm disappointed in the set designs. You'd think that one of the most noble houses in the universe would have chosen to live in something a little bit nicer than a concrete bunker.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 15:19:49 »
Dune (2021) was horrible. Me and my sister almost feel asleep during the film. There was also some dune extreme fans and we were asking questions because we did not know what was going on and they said "would you be quiet we're trying to watch the movie."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 16:54:09 »
I read one review, where the guy be like,   This movie spent MORE time to explain LESS than even the previous long ass 3 episode Dune (2000).

Offline yui

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 04:17:36 »

The games were so so.

WHAT  :mad:

tp, where this blasphemy from?

For the time period, they're alrigh.... but if you try and play them now, it's mainly nostalgia.

Show Image

the story is passable, like pretty much all Westwood games but rare are better RTSs.
and to be honest i only saw the 1992 film so i do not have much context to compare the rest.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 06:52:09 »
I've always loved the books (at least up to god emperor).  I don't think it is possible to make a good Dune movie. If they really wanted to do it right it should be a 5 or 6 season TV series with GOT budget.  I enjoyed the movie for what it was and I hope they at least make the next one to finish it out.  Totally agree that Oscar Isaac was a bad casting choice for a character needing to portray world ruling authority.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 07:01:43 »
There are many moments that just aren't important. We don't need to see Paul practice his skills, we can just assume he has them. We don't need to see people take leave, only to have them joined minutes later. In the time they had, they could have shown much more important things. I think this just shows the director paints a setting, but doesn't tell a story. And even then his canvas is awfully bleak.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 09:37:38 »
There are many moments that just aren't important. We don't need to see Paul practice his skills, we can just assume he has them. We don't need to see people take leave, only to have them joined minutes later. In the time they had, they could have shown much more important things. I think this just shows the director paints a setting, but doesn't tell a story. And even then his canvas is awfully bleak.

This is why I like the current "foundation" on apple tv.   LESS hughmahnnn stuff.

But episode 6 felt a bit toooo hughmahnn, Here's hoping it turns.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 09:44:56 »
Totally agree that Oscar Isaac was a bad casting choice for a character needing to portray world ruling authority.
After him being a pilot in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, the line about wanting to be a pilot broke the immersion a bit. Was it a joke or was it in the book? (or a prequel book?)

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 05:47:27 »
Lee Pace is just about tolerable in Halt & Catch Fire (because the show is so good and it revolves less around him after the first season) but he's bloody awful in this. He should be on a soap opera not a space opera.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 07:18:06 »
Lee Pace is just about tolerable in Halt & Catch Fire (because the show is so good and it revolves less around him after the first season) but he's bloody awful in this. He should be on a soap opera not a space opera.

Which dune is lee pace in ?

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 09:26:52 »
Lol did I get my wires crossed when I posted that. Yes I did.

Need to maintain habit of going to bed on time. My brain is fried today.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 10:34:59 »

Need to maintain habit of going to bed on time. My brain is fried today.

Veggies Recommended.... !!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 15:29:10 »
Part 2 of Villeneuve's Dune has been greenlighted. I hope that he had managed to film scenes "back-to-back" when doing the first one already.

I have a silly prediction:

Because Liet Kynes was gender-swapped for no obvious reason in Part 1, Villeneuve's reason is going to instead be seen in part 2: Chani (Liet Kynes' daughter) surviving parent is not some unmentioned woman (as in the book) but instead be a prominent Fremen man, ... and that is going to be used for drama.
Perhaps it is going to be someone who is disapproving of Chani's and Paul's relationship, or perhaps it is going to be Jamis — the man that Paul killed with Chani's knife.

Skimming the topic and spotted only a mention of Foundation above? ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 15:43:50 »
Part 2 of Villeneuve's Dune has been greenlighted. I hope that he had managed to film scenes "back-to-back" when doing the first one already.

I have a silly prediction:

Because Liet Kynes was gender-swapped for no obvious reason in Part 1, Villeneuve's reason is going to instead be seen in part 2: Chani (Liet Kynes' daughter) surviving parent is not some unmentioned woman (as in the book) but instead be a prominent Fremen man, ... and that is going to be used for drama.
Perhaps it is going to be someone who is disapproving of Chani's and Paul's relationship, or perhaps it is going to be Jamis — the man that Paul killed with Chani's knife.

Skimming the topic and spotted only a mention of Foundation above? ;)

Second movie is going to be harder to make than the first. All that worm lore in the desert isn't very exciting visually.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 19:32:53 »
Villeneuve's other sci-fi blockbuster, Blade Runner 2049, was also visually arid, at least in parts. This one looks even moreso, from the footage I've seen.

Clearly designed to be watched on Imax, so that's what's going to bring the best experience.

Offline ItIsWritten

Re: Best Dune ?
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 October 2021, 03:39:52 »
I saw it on Imax and it's easily the least impressive movie filmed especially for Imax I've seen. Blade Runner was much more impressive, even in the arid scenes. As said, one of the most important houses basically lives in a barren bunker. What is that about? Where was the conservatory? The large battles were boring, and didn't show any hint of tactics. Just people running into each other. They must have forgotten a lot in 8000 years of warfare. The only impressive thing were the space ships, but again they lacked all sophistication you'd expect after 8000 years of development.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 28 October 2021, 06:30:51 »
Well, I'm not disagreeing.

I started streaming it yesterday, and did so at various locations and TVs. The bigger [and more HDR] the TV, the better, moreso than with other films. I really get the sense that this was designed as a 'cinematic' experience more than the average film.

That doesn't mean it will translate into an awesome Imax film, just that it was designed for that experience rather than home-streaming.

I also don't understand why the royal families prefer such austere surroundings, maybe it supposed to be part of their martial culture. Villeneuve paints a bleak canvas, that's for sure.

Sound design was shot. And there's a lot of people elsewhere saying the same.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 28 October 2021, 07:43:48 »
I believe the bleak is a sharp pivot away from all the PREVIOUS iterations which did have that Royal Gaudy Garish Rococo Vibe.

If he made another one like that, it wouldn't set apart.

Overall, I'm OK with the Look. The plot was just very boring.

Offline phinix

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 30 October 2021, 17:37:28 »
I watched and I think it was ok. Like 6, maybe even 7/10.
It felt a bit long, but overall visuals were nice, I liked the music as well.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 15:48:28 »
Haven't watched the movies, but my favorite book so far is #4 Emperor of Dune. Love the dialogue. From reading about half of it so far, I can see the relations to algorithmic generation: systems theory and chaos theory. These two things interest me much. Everything is related in some way  ;)

I'm not sure why I logged into GH today. Haven't been here in 2 weeks.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline phinix

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 02:24:43 »
Haven't watched the movies, but my favorite book so far is #4 Emperor of Dune. Love the dialogue. From reading about half of it so far, I can see the relations to algorithmic generation: systems theory and chaos theory. These two things interest me much. Everything is related in some way  ;)

Maybe you felt an urge to speak to us:)

How about other books you've read, 1-3? Are they good? Would you recommend them?
I was thinking of reading them after watching latest movie and played some games in the past.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 10:05:04 »

Maybe you felt an urge to speak to us:)

How about other books you've read, 1-3? Are they good? Would you recommend them?
I was thinking of reading them after watching latest movie and played some games in the past.

Yes, they are great. Every sentence is placed upon the pages for a reason. My pseudointellectual brain  just likes the #4 because of the personally validating ideas  :'(.

#1 has the "stereotypical" underdog hero story. best for enjoyment reading
#2 reverts your expectations. a good start (flipping stereotype)
#3 has the best story. More of a transitional placement to me, but was a fun read.
#4 has the best philosophical undertones (makes me think alot)

tldr: 4>3>2>1  Gets better as I learn more
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!