Author Topic: ESD Tape mod, is it safe?  (Read 5357 times)

Offline jackcalico

ESD Tape mod, is it safe?
« on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 06:06:55 »
Hi all,

I am daily driving an AJAZZ AC064 keyboard, a wireless board with a 3000 mAh battery.

I was gonna throw some EVA case foam into it, but then I got worried about possible fire hazards or similar issues and I ended up with a tape mod instead. I have used ESD tape to tape the PCB, as theoretically, ESD should generate very low voltage when used.

Anyway, long story short, I wanted to double-check if you guys think it is safe to use ESD tape for a tape mod on a wireless board with a battery.

PS. This is the board I am using and this is the ESD tape I bought.

Offline nevin

Re: ESD Tape mod, is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 06:45:21 »
ESD tape is conductive and can act as a shield for RF devices (the BT module).
- personally, i wouldn't use it. i see too many possible issues that could arise from using it.
- it's conductive, wouldn't want to use it on any exposed pad or solder point
- because of the "traces"/grid in the tape, it can act as a shield, and could make your wireless signal worse depending on where/how the tape is applied.
- if the board is manufactured correctly, there shouldn't be a worry of a fire hazard. just don't poke or puncture the battery when modding. if it's taped down, leave it taped down. if it's just a little LiPo bag battery, you could damage it trying to peel it off the bottom of the case (IF that's how it's mounted. i'm not familiar with this board other than the images in the link)
- i just see the ESD tape causing more issues than solving problems.
- looks like the plate is FR4 (same material as pcb) is that correct? (at least it's not an aluminum integrated/top mount, can be very noisy)
- you'd probably effect the sound the most by lubing or changing switches. (adding another matte/foam/other material to the case might not effect the sound much)
     - what switches are you using?
     - are they lubed?
     - what don't you like about the sound? what are you trying to change?
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline jackcalico

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 07:40:17 »
Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, I am already using NK BOX Cream lubed switches, I just wanted to improve the ping/hollowness of the aluminum case with either some case foam or by applying a tape mod.

I wasn't aware of the conductivity properties of the ESD tape, that is risky! Do you know if there is some sort of non-conductive material that can be used for a safe tape mod on a board with a battery?

And, also, is there any type of non-conductive foam that can be used safely as case foam on a board with a battery?

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 08:30:41 »
- eva should be fine, another popular DIY one is the foam shelf/toolbox liner
example: https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Tool-Box-Liner-Drawer/dp/B0753G2765
   - do some test fitting and don't stuff it too full you can barely get the case back together.
- i've seen a DIY pour-able silicone matte made for some cases as well.

- lube "donuts" on the bottom of the springs will help with spring ping if you have any
- you could also try an o-ring between the pcb and the standoffs in the base (case looks like a fancy traymount). they will be small o-rings, to just barely fit over the screw. if too big, will expand and go over the standoff when tightening the screw and pcb will be touching the standoff and no benefit of using o-ring.

any normal tape would be fine. i don't think it's used much, but i think electrical tape would make the most sense. it's soft, pliable & thick which i think would have better acoustic properties than masking or scotch tape.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68