Author Topic: [IC] PBTFans Umbra - IN STOCK SALE LIVE!  (Read 29015 times)

Offline Pach

Re: [IC] PBTFans Umbra - 2/10 Update
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 13 February 2023, 17:36:20 »
Alphas need some work imo. Doesn’t have the contrast with mods as pointed out above.

It's the other way around - PBTfans caps on the boards, GMK samples.

Ah, that's a bummer. I prefer the GMK samples. The PBTFans caps are too warm in their tone for my taste.

ehhhhh not feeling these new colors.
OG ones looked FAR better. way too little contrast between alphas and mods now.

As I stated for this set's run, it was my decision to bring the alpha and mod color closer in terms of matching saturation, and I think comparing the alpha and mod saturation, it looks more matching/pleasing in real life compared to R1. The alphas remain pretty much the same lightness, it's just the modifier color that is lighter compared to R1.

The saturation/color shift was also determined in part by me revisiting the original theme of the set, Umbreon. Ultimately, I decided to match the theme a little more color-wise as opposed to directly mirror the R1 colors.

Also, keep in mind that these are images, and lighting will affect how these colors are perceived. I don't think many users will be bathing their keyboard in direct sunlight anyways... ;) Overall, I feel like the renders here represent the set pretty well. I'm working to tweak the renders so they match the samples as close as possible, and those will be released soon. I pitched this interest check going off of the assumption that people would give feedback according to the colors in the renders I provided; there were no complaints in that time about the color decisions so I went forward. I only provided the samples from R1 for those curious to see the colors. Here's another shot, with neutral desk lighting:

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2023, 18:19:57 by Pach »

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 13 February 2023, 18:31:06 »
Personally I think it looks fine. GMK is more vibrant but I'm not gonna cry over it, set looks good, it's in PBT, from a manu I can trust, I'm still buying.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Akele

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 14 February 2023, 02:55:51 »

Also, keep in mind that these are images, and lighting will affect how these colors are perceived. I don't think many users will be bathing their keyboard in direct sunlight anyways... ;) Overall, I feel like the renders here represent the set pretty well. I'm working to tweak the renders so they match the samples as close as possible, and those will be released soon. I pitched this interest check going off of the assumption that people would give feedback according to the colors in the renders I provided; there were no complaints in that time about the color decisions so I went forward. I only provided the samples from R1 for those curious to see the colors. Here's another shot, with neutral desk lighting:

Show Image

Thanks for posting the additional photo: the colours do look better in the neutral light. It'll be interesting to see what the gold modifiers look like in real life, as I think they could look good with the warmer shades of grey you've chosen for the caps. I'm still interested.

Offline digitalnothing

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 14 February 2023, 12:36:05 »
My favorite Eeveelution, love the OG kit.

Offline Pach

Re: [IC] PBTFans Umbra - 3/30 Update
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 30 March 2023, 20:54:23 »
3/30 Update

Production is already underway and we should only be a few months away from the in-stock sale! We've also gained a lot of regional vendors that will be stocking this set, so check those out if you've been looking for one in your region - should pretty much have the whole globe covered by now.

All renders have been updated with closest-to-life appearances. Notable changes being adjustment to render lighting and color lightness for a more accurate look to the alphas (under many conditions, they appeared a little darker than the previous renders especially in the title banner, so adjustments have been made in that regard. Of course, there are several IRL pictures posted before that you can also reference). The blue has been toned down to give a less "glowy" unrealistic appearance, but keep in mind this is the same exact blue from R1. Also, 2 1.25u spacebars have been added to the base kit mold.

This may be the last update until production has finished, so after this the next update will probably be about production finishing with vendors stocking soon!
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2023, 21:07:25 by Pach »

Offline Pach

Re: [IC] PBTFans Umbra - IN STOCK SALE LIVE!
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 21 April 2023, 14:36:36 »
4/21 Update - In stock!

If you didn't know already, PBTFans Umbra is in stock and ready to ship on KBDFans! Scroll down the product page for some IRL pictures ;)

https://kbdfans.com/products/pbtfans-umbra?variant=41417064120459

I was going to make a larger announcement later, but since all other vendors have to set up and wait a few weeks for shipping, I thought I'd do a small announcement now so people don't miss out. Unfortunately a few vendors including KBDFans won't be carrying deskmats, but others like Mekibo when they release the pre-sale will carry mats. Be aware since production took a whole lot less time than expected, mats are expected to take 3 months to manufacture and ship. So if you want the set ASAP, make sure to order the mat separately!

I'll be announcing when other vendors have their page up, but right now Yushakobo (JP) and LegoDiskon (ID) are also up.

Edit: Now pre-sale at Mekibo(US)! https://mekibo.com/products/pbtfans-umbra-in-stock?variant=44933335744800
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 April 2023, 23:37:46 by Pach »

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 21 April 2023, 14:53:56 »
Ughghghgh I don't have any cash for this ATM :(
Thought some stuff would sell before this came up.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline soliciana

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 25 April 2023, 22:50:55 »
DEfinitly gettting it! Got other PBTfans sets, and they never disapoint. I personnally don't even see the difference with GMK.. except for the price and wait time XD so really happy you decided to go this route for R2. Just wish you'd have gone with Ashkeeb for canadian vendor as DH is really bad in terms of updates and responses about product etc  ;)

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 05:38:06 »
got my set, alphas and mod can't even be told apart. looks like the same color unless you closely stare at the sides of them under certain lighting conditions.
alphas have a way fuller bluish tone to them, far from the desaturated cold gray of the proto pics.
not too happy honestly. original looked far better. will provide pics if anyone's interested

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 20 June 2023, 07:42:24 »
got my set, alphas and mod can't even be told apart. looks like the same color unless you closely stare at the sides of them under certain lighting conditions.
alphas have a way fuller bluish tone to them, far from the desaturated cold gray of the proto pics.
not too happy honestly. original looked far better. will provide pics if anyone's interested

Thanks for sharing this info. Please share close up pictures if possible  :thumb:

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 03 August 2023, 05:39:19 »
this feels rushed AF. it seems pbtfans failed the color matching and designer was too impatient to be done with the project - at least be honest bc no one's buying the "improved color saturation" bs LMAO. alphas and mods look the exact same period, making the set look nothing like the GMK run. missed opportunity.