Author Topic: keycap numbering question  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Danny356

keycap numbering question
« on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 23:59:45 »
So, I was reading the keycaps wiki, and I saw the section about keycap profiling. I noticed that it said the rows are labeled blank/r1/r2/r3/blank/blank and I wanted to see it myself. I took out the zxcv keys of my das and looked at the bottom. ZXCV were all labeled R1, cool i get it, but there were some numbers that made no sense to me. Z(R1 5) X(r1 1) c(R1 6) v(R1 4). Why isnt it Z(1) x(2) c(3) v(4) for the numbers rather than the random **** i see? i understand there's different layouts but the rest of my keys still seem rather random, like F1 is 27 or something. So basically what im asking is, what does the number stand for? Does it even stand for anything at all?

Im asking this because i got a set of blank keys and dont want to incorrectly install them.

Offline Inochi

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 09:29:40 »
As long as you install the blanks on the correct row, and all will be fine. I'm not sure what the random numbers are but if I had to guess it is from when they print the keys to indicate a position to the mold layout. Or something like that.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 10:59:02 »
I wouldn't even look at the bottom. Get your blanks, and pull out the 1X keys. Sort them by profile. Look up a profile graphic so you know which profile corresponds to which row. Bottom two rows have negative slope. The middle one is roughly flat. The upper row has slightly positive slope. The top two rows have more positive slope. you can see the difference pretty easily, and since I'm visual, that's how I'd do it.

I wouldn't worry about he number. Just make sure the row is correct, and you'll be fine.