Author Topic: Can't decide on which black engraved PBT keycaps to purchase.  (Read 1779 times)

Offline IlikeGravy

Can't decide on which black engraved PBT keycaps to purchase.
« on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 23:58:44 »
I want to get some black engraved PBT keycaps for my filco but can't seem to decide on either to get KBC's or DUCKY's. I would much prefer which ever was thicker. I was actually waiting for WASD keyboards to release their PBT keycaps because in their blog they stated that it would be 1.3mm thick which sounds awesome. But after receiving an email from them they stated that there has been some technical difficulties in producing these keycaps and there are currently no plans on producing these keycaps in the near future. :[

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Can't decide on which black engraved PBT keycaps to purchase.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 09:56:20 »
I don't think PBT thickness is really that big a deal. Sure, imsto's thick PBT (That he used to sell in the classifieds, and now, I'm sure you can get some in his vendor forum) would be great, but I think any PBT is really good. I've had SP PBT, and it's rather nice (And thicker than their ABS). Cherry PBT would also be worthwhile, as it's pretty thick.

I would advise you to not worry about it, and get some PBT. Ducky's comes in a cool case, if I read the pictures right.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 11:07:16 »
the ducky and kbc caps are, afaik, made from the same molds. SP has their own PBT molds, and imsto's thick cherry PBTs come from yet a third mold. i have used all three, and my favorite by far is imsto's cherry PBT. one big advantage is that the profile is similar enough that it mixes pretty well with SP's DCS profile, and on top of that, they just feel really good. SP's PBT caps would be second -- their texture is extremely nice on the fingertips. third, but not at all least (it's just a lot of goodness here) is the kbc/ducky profile.

the final contender is leopold's PBT, which is only available on their fc700r series. the caps are _fantastic_, and the board itself is extremely solid, rivaling if not beating filco's best. unfortunately, not generally available in the US yet.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Harlequin

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 12:00:39 »
i would go for Ducky because to me, Ducky's quality was always solid good. :)

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2