Author Topic: Newb question about PBT  (Read 2930 times)

Offline bisl

Newb question about PBT
« on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 01:51:51 »
I've got a question that should be easily answerable for anyone who's actually owned PBT caps. I'm new to GH and so the furthest I've ventured into keyboard enthusiasm is buying a Das Keyboard with browns. Over time, the keycaps have worn down and they feel quite disgusting when I type on them--it's sort of a drag because no matter how clean my hands are, and how much I wipe them down, they always feel like I've eaten a million cheetos or something the second I begin to type.

Now I see that people really love PBT caps, but I'm wondering: why? What do they afford that normal (actually, what are the alternatives to PBT, anyway) keycaps don't? I'm hoping to hear that PBT is like the titanium of plastics and won't wear down in ten lifetimes, or something along those lines, but any input would be appreciated. Why are PBTs worth buying?

Thanks!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Newb question about PBT
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 02:00:47 »
PBT keycaps last much longer than ABS keycaps (like the ones on your Das), and also feel different (better, according to most).  They can also be more readily dyed.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 03:20:48 »
Main benefit is the it lasting much longer. It's feel is subjective (I don't see a difference).
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Harlequin

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 10:04:32 »
PBT can also have dyesub letter printing which last longer than other printing methods such as silk or laser.

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2

Offline Okita

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 18:36:07 »
They have a matte plastic/rubbery texture to them... They feel so silky and sophisticated. I actually had a friend with a leopold who would always stroke my hhkb caps at our lans :-) I'd def recommend them if you need a little more texture on your fingertips.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 19:36:05 »
KBC PBT texture close up  :D

2470-0

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 03:23:59 »
KBC PBT texture close up  :D

(Attachment Link)

May I ask what does KBT mean?
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 07:08:26 »
May I ask what does KBT mean?
Keyboard Talking. It's a keyboard brand in Taiwan.

Offline N8N

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 20:21:07 »
I'm typing this right now from my Model M... I don't know that the material itself makes a huge difference, but this well used M still has some of the texture left on its original PBT keycaps, while I managed to get a little bit of shine on a new set of black Cherry ABS doubleshots in only a year or so of use.  (I'm also that guy that machinists hate because apparently my natural oils cause steel to rust if I pick up a part with my bare hands and not a shop rag, but I digress.)  So, long story short, if PBT is molded with a texture that your fingers like, it will maintain that texture better long-term and therefore when used for a while, will feel pretty much the same as when new, while sooner or later ABS will always feel a little slick and greasy because your hands will be ever so slightly sweaty and the texture of the ABS caps will have worn off, at least on the ones that you regularly use to type.  That said the Cherry PBTs seem to have little texture to begin with (or the ones that I have were really hammered on) but still don't feel as slick as ABS, so maybe the material does contribute at least a little bit to the feel.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)