geekhack Community > New Members

I came on a mission

(1/3) > >>

metalliqaz:
Hello all,

Professional programmer here.  I don't geek out on keyboards as much as many of you do, but I still like to lust after the pretty gadgets from the far east.

I've switched from lurking to posting in order to accomplish a specific mission.  What I want is a new board for work that is chosen specifically for stylistic value.  I want a conversation starter... an interesting piece of art.  It also has to be good for typing all day.
Right now I'm leaning towards a Poker with bright white otaku keycaps.  I could do the backlit thing, but that feels too flashy.

As for my boards, let me explain...
I have a Leopold tenkeyless with Cherry MX Browns at home.
I also have a Dell Quiet Key.  It puzzles me that they would be so shunned, because if there is a better gaming keyboard for the value, I haven't seen it.
At work I currently have an Evoluent KB-1.  Has anyone used one of these?  UGH.  It is a scissor-style board that is crappy even by laptop standards.
I own a Model M, but that thing is too darn big to be anything but a collector item.

I've always wanted to try a Topre board, but there's no way I'm paying that much just to try it out.

mkawa:
keycaps are all conversation starters, for one. i had a set of pokers (now they're pures) at work that i have been swapping keycaps on every few weeks. i've explained to my officemates what doubleshots are, engraving, PBT vs ABS, all kinds of crap. for the most part they smile and nod, but they all now "get" that mechanicals feel better to type on and give more tactile variety. (and a few of them are lusting after or have bought mechanicals through me :D)

hazeluff:
I suggest a Cherry MX board. If you don't need full layouts, the Mini/Poker layouts is always interesting and "different". And with those get a nice set of keycaps to go with it. I've had many comments on my extremely colorful Choc Mini.

Also welcome to wallet hack. Soon you will be a hobo with a pretty keyboard.

digi:
Did you just say you like your Dell Quiet Key but have a Leopold with browns at home? eewwwwwwwwwwwww, j/k. Welcome!

hakujin:
Going by your avatar, ideally you want a HHKB (or use something like xmodmap to get the Sun layout). Welcome!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version