geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Modding KBT Race

(1/1)

Jupiter:
Hey guys,

Fairly new here and just got a new KBT Race from kaiserreich and was look at modding it a bit.

I was just wondering how hard is it to remove and replace LEDs on this board? I'm  fairly competent at soldering and just wanted to know if there were any "do's and don'ts" for modding.
I'd love to hear from people about this sort of stuff, and any information as to changing springs, removing switches and changing LEDs obviously would be great.

Thanks, Jupiter

WhiteFireDragon:
Depending on what type of equipment you have, it'll take ~2 hours to desolder switches, and a little bit longer for LEDs since the lead pins are smaller. Soldering will be ~1 hour. It's not too hard if you have past soldering experiences, just really tedious. Changing out springs and switches is even easier, but also requires desoldering/soldering.

If you ask a more specific question, you'll get a more specific answer. I could write out everything, but that will take too long. I also made a tutorial video on all the things you asked that has a bunch details and tips to do it.

Jupiter:
Thanks for the reply, Dragon

I guess I was more wondering about the specifics of it. What LEDs are acceptable to replace the stock green ones? What is their power output/light output? If I were to add blue LEDs, would they also change brightness when the others do or would they remain the same?

Cheers, Jupiter

WhiteFireDragon:
Green LEDs typically have a Vf of around 3.0v, so if you were to replace them, either blue or probably white would be good. Red and Yellow has a lower forward voltage, so you will probably get different brightness and expected. If you don't want to play around with resistors, then stick with blue or white LED replacements.

Cindori:
I still think we should make this happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version