Author Topic: Handmade Artisan Keycap Directory  (Read 44642 times)

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Handmade Artisan Keycap Directory
« on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:27:49 »
Some of you out there could be like me-- overwhelmed with the array of different keycap makers and their designs.  Well, I've been compiling a list of keycap makers and their works over the past few months.  I've realized that this would be even better if I can get other peoples' input and help to flesh it out!

The directory is a Google Doc right now that shows individual designs (not colors) from artisan keycap makers who have gained publicity.  I'd love to hear from anyone else out there about any mistakes in the list or additions that need to be made!  If you want to contribute, add a comment to the Directory where appropriate.  If you think something should be added, leave a link to a picture of it too!

I'm currently leaving out keycap makers' blanks (there are just too many out there) and keycaps made via 3D printing or are a clearly factory-produced product.  Other rules for inclusion are listed at the top of the Directory.

Here's the link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FOpysO03dfmpjsmHMnYGQC2bcPc40D_jbDGkE6NH5KY/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2016, 23:06:03 by Bambino »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: Handmade Artisan Keycap Directory
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:33:45 »
Nice work! Why give K3K3 any info though? It's just unintentional advertising for him.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:36:06 »
Good. Since k3kc had to be there, good on you for putting them at the bottom :p
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:38:31 »
Nice work! Why give K3K3 any info though? It's just unintentional advertising for him.

One purpose of the directory is to allow people to more readily identify and compare different keycaps.  For example, you could more easily distinguish between a Bro Caps Cherokey and the K3KC imitation.  Including both versions facilitates this interaction.

Good. Since k3kc had to be there, good on you for putting them at the bottom :p

Yeah, he's at the bottom as part of a judgment call, along with lesser-known or inactive artisans.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:45:56 »
Amazing work. Will bookmark.

I myself keep a detailed Excel sheet of every purchase I make, and also what I'd like to buy. For keyboards/keycaps/computer peripherals, I keep a workbook called "Compute" with different tabs for each field. GMK Esc's and artisans kept lumped together, and I give a full detailed description for each artisan--the name, the designer, the geekhack/Reddit username, the stem, the material, the height and print (if applicable), and the date I received them.
Crazy, I know, but it helps keep me in check with all my artisans and make sure they get their turn on my boards!

PS
Love the slab typeface you used; makes it easy to read!

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:52:31 »

Amazing work. Will bookmark.

I myself keep a detailed Excel sheet of every purchase I make, and also what I'd like to buy. For keyboards/keycaps/computer peripherals, I keep a workbook called "Compute" with different tabs for each field. GMK Esc's and artisans kept lumped together, and I give a full detailed description for each artisan--the name, the designer, the geekhack/Reddit username, the stem, the material, the height and print (if applicable), and the date I received them.
Crazy, I know, but it helps keep me in check with all my artisans and make sure they get their turn on my boards!

PS
Love the slab typeface you used; makes it easy to read!

Gotta admit, making this directory has made me itchy to try to collect one of each type.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:00:17 »
Wow, this is a fantastic resource!

So many caps I recognize but never knew the name or creator.

Thanks for compiling something so easy to reference  :thumb:
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:09:00 »
This really is a fantastic directory so far. The only change I'd make is the order of makers and designs. I personally would prefer alphabetical.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:10:51 »
I personally would prefer alphabetical.

Same.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:43:39 »
Very useful. Glad to see makers like Mandolin on there.

But yeah, remove the counterfeit maker.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:57:48 »
Very useful. Glad to see makers like Mandolin on there.

But yeah, remove the counterfeit maker.

K3KC? Yeah, I agree; dude deserves the boot.  :))

Also, holy cow; scrolled to the bottom and there were some I've never heard of, or saw them in passing and had totally forgotten about them.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:16:35 »
This is an interesting resource.

For your current entries, I suggest that you add an additional criterion.  All of those makers have sold their caps.  There are others who make caps for personal use or are otherwise not sold.  I have made caps and distributed a few to others, but I do not have an entry.  I'm not vying for position or demanding one, I just know my own example.  I can think of other users that may fit into this category such as Lurch (he has homemade caps, but I'm not sure if he has any sculpted ones), b3Rz3Rko, and Frogbot.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:26:56 »

For your current entries, I suggest that you add an additional criterion.  All of those makers have sold their caps.  There are others who make caps for personal use or are otherwise not sold.  I have made caps and distributed a few to others, but I do not have an entry.  I'm not vying for position or demanding one, I just know my own example.  I can think of other users that may fit into this category such as Lurch (he has homemade caps, but I'm not sure if he has any sculpted ones), b3Rz3Rko, and Frogbot.

In the interest of keeping the list to a manageable length, I'd only consider including one-of keycaps or non-distributed keycaps that are from artisans who have previously sold keycaps or an artisan who posts a lot of keycap-making subject matter.

In a case like yours, I would consider including a personal-use-only custom keycap only if you show off a lot of pictures of it. That way we can catalogue its existence without trying to add every keycap sculpt or casting ever conceived.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:43:26 »

In the interest of keeping the list to a manageable length, I'd only consider including one-of keycaps or non-distributed keycaps that are from artisans who have previously sold keycaps or an artisan who posts a lot of keycap-making subject matter.

In a case like yours, I would consider including a personal-use-only custom keycap only if you show off a lot of pictures of it. That way we can catalogue its existence without trying to add every keycap sculpt or casting ever conceived.

Like I said, I'm not trying to get myself added, just suggesting an additional rule.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:44:27 »

Like I said, I'm not trying to get myself added, just suggesting an additional rule.

I'll make a note on the first page, thanks!

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:51:31 »
Great work on this and thanks for including me!
Any chance I could provide different pics, additional designs and the proper names of my designs?
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:54:03 »

Great work on this and thanks for including me!
Any chance I could provide different pics, additional designs and the proper names of my designs?

Please go ahead and add/change anything you like! You can leave comments or revisions. I'll go in and update based on your suggestions.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:21:01 »
The one you called Cycap is Hard Knock Waz and Yag Woz 2 is Harder Knock Waz.  Cycap was an earlier cap.  The "alien" one is unnamed and was a one off.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 00:33:41 »
This is a pretty awesome resource! I've seen a lot of those caps but don't know them by name!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 03:25:59 »
Great job Bambino! :) I made some suggestions on the picture of the golem (the current pic is a failed dubbleshot ;) ). Also, the name of the snowman is Mr.Frost!

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:57:53 »
Nice work Bambino, I had no idea there were so many artisan sculptors out there. :)
May all your key presses strike true.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:05:27 »
Fantastic idea :) and great effort.

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:38:34 »
Mandolins caps are under the name Artkeycaps. The designs he sold are called Demon cat and el chihuahua.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:40:07 »
 So GirlDC makes all his caps from 3D prints I believe. Just sayin.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:41:50 »

I think he and HKP both toe the line of what's allowed on the list. But I don't have proof of them making their caps industrially or by machine.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:43:57 »

I think he and HKP both toe the line of what's allowed on the list. But I don't have proof of them making their caps industrially or by machine.

IIRC, didn't Clack injection mold some of his caps? What's the problem?

Offline Pdub

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:45:20 »

His rules were caps that were 3D printed were not to be included.

GirlDC on Massdrop noted he 3D prints them.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:46:23 »
I'm not planning on adding every CNC'd or 3D printed keycap to the list. They have their place and their own audience, but I don't want the list to be dominated by those entries. Tasker would take multiple pages by himself.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:51:11 »

His rules were caps that were 3D printed were not to be included.

GirlDC on Massdrop noted he 3D prints them.

On Massdrop he said he 3D prints the master and then modifies it for molding and mass production. That is okay and the rules on the directory say so. He didn't say that the keycap you buy from him is 3D printed.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:53:26 »
Need some DOOM in here  :thumb:

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:44:39 »
It's kind of hard to look at my keyboard hug. I really liked it in theory it just didn't turn out as beautiful as I had envisioned. I'm glad some are out there though :) I still have one lying around and it's quite nostalgic looking at the first thing I created.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:12:17 »
This is excellent. Great work Bambino! Bookmarked :thumb:

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 20:18:16 »
I think you are missing the gundam, zaku, pumpkin, ghost under girldc

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 01:31:55 »
Thank you! bookmarking

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 08:53:43 »
Good work, this may come in very useful soon.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 15:24:28 »
Awesome Po-key-dex

I hope I can be on it sometime in the next year :0

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:47:18 »
Who makes the Gundam keycaps that I've seen...somewhere?
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:54:55 »

girlDC? wangbwhz?

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:58:25 »

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 18:00:35 »

girlDC? wangbwhz?

oh, girlDC, according to google (with your suggestions) thank you!!

Man, as much as I don't care for Gundam, I would probably fork over $$ to get a custom mecha keycap from another series (Five Star Stories or Muv-Luv).
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps

Offline Baddy126

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:16:17 »
>snip<
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:26:16 by Meiosis »
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:24:29 »

I think this should be left to someone else without bias. You left out quite a few people who have made their own crafted caps.

Let's add them! My only limitations are the rules at the top of the Directory and my own limited knowledge of what's out there. By all means, let us know what we're missing.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:25:57 »

I think this should be left to someone else without bias. You left out quite a few people who have made their own crafted caps.

Let's add them! My only limitations are the rules at the top of the Directory and my own limited knowledge of what's out there. By all means, let us know what we're missing.

Sorry if its bitter >_>
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:27:27 »

Sorry if its bitter >_>

Ah I haven't had time to find pics of sculpted DOOM caps. Doesn't he only make blanks? Link some pics of his sculpts and let's add them.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:37:49 »
I ****ing love geekhack.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:46:09 »

Sorry if its bitter >_>

Ah I haven't had time to find pics of sculpted DOOM caps. Doesn't he only make blanks? Link some pics of his sculpts and let's add them.

But just because you can't find pictures doesn't mean you should leave them out if you know that they exist.

Doom though has the MFDoom, Doombringer, MS-DOS, Filigree, and HiProfile keycaps.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:53:49 »

Sorry if its bitter >_>

This is what I found so far:
http://i.imgur.com/EbKQxpI.jpg - Doombringer DSA
http://i.imgur.com/ASFEHST.jpg - MF Doom MX
http://i.imgur.com/QRfC1NF.jpg - MSDOS DSA
http://i.imgur.com/fxu5dZJ.jpg - HiProfile
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1570/24055905013_8bc0a44013_k.jpg - Filigree Spacebars

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:57:10 by Meiosis »
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL