Author Topic: SA Profile Space bar issues  (Read 4577 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
SA Profile Space bar issues
« on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 10:14:54 »
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and could give me feedback.  I love the look of SA keycaps.  I have a set of Industrial (all R3), but I figure this relates to all SA sets since most sets use R3 for the bottom row.

Anywhoo... I like the way they feel, and the profile is fine to type on, BUT....  The spacebar.  It just feels wrong! I've tried it on MX blues, MX browns, and Gateron blacks, (all 3 with cherry stabilizers) and the keypress feels right on the downstroke, but the return to top feels terrible.  It has no pop at all when it comes back up.  I thought a heavier switch might help, but it actually feels the worst on blacks (perhaps because I don't bottom out with blacks as much?).

Am I crazy?  Does it feel better on costar?  Do I need an ever heavier switch for it?  The key doesn't appear to be warped at all, and it goes right on the switches (doesn't feel like the stems are miss-aligned or anything)
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 10:19:56 by reececonrad »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: SA Profile Space bar issues
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 12:09:37 »
I'm guessing its your stabilizers.

From what I've experienced SA and DSA space bars are picky when it comes to cherry stabilizers.

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 12:13:24 »
I've been using SA sets on Filco Majestouch and Varmilo keyboards (with MX red switches and Costar stabilizers) for over a year now and never noticed a problem with the spacebar sluggishly popping back up. I also have Ice Cap SA on a Pok3r which has Cherry stabilizers and haven't had an issue with that either. But my expectations may be different from yours.

I will say, though, that I've had somewhat inconsistent performance with Cherry stabilizers in general. The Cherry spacebar stabs in my Ducky One and a Pok3r RGB (which I had to return due to a dead switch under the "B" key) are kind of weak compared to the other two Pok3rs I have.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 02:48:28 »
SA Industrial is PBT, right?
so I think you should use a ruler to check the distance between the two outer mounts of the spacebar.

a while ago, I bought a G20 set from SP:

(G20 top, OEM bottom)

the distance between the two outer mounts is 99mm (G20) and 100mm (OEM)
so if I put the G20 spacebar on my keyboard, it's tight so the spacebar is not as bouncy as expected (the OEM spacebar is fine)

---
I emailed SP and they sent me a replacement which works great.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 07:27:10 »
SA Industrial is PBT, right?
so I think you should use a ruler to check the distance between the two outer mounts of the spacebar.

a while ago, I bought a G20 set from SP:

Show Image

(G20 top, OEM bottom)

the distance between the two outer mounts is 99mm (G20) and 100mm (OEM)
so if I put the G20 spacebar on my keyboard, it's tight so the spacebar is not as bouncy as expected (the OEM spacebar is fine)

---
I emailed SP and they sent me a replacement which works great.

Wow, great to know.  I'll have to measure!

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:22:14 »
Interesting. Datamancer spacebars suffer from the same problem. In such cases, they really only work with Costar stabilizers since the position of the insert relative to the stabilizer wire is of no consequence. It is only when you need to fit them onto Cherry stabilizers (which I don't particularly care for for a number of reasons) that you run into problems.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 00:35:56 »
Wow! I measured, and sure enough, it's 99mm intead of 100mm!  I've sent a message to PMK to see what they will do.  I'll report back.

Revision:  It's been 5 days and no word back yet.  I've put in another email.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2017, 20:58:14 by reececonrad »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 17:34:32 »
Just heard back from Melissa.  They're sending a replacement, so that's good.  She said they didn't know of this issue on th industrial set, so hopefully mine was just a bad batch and they aren't all this way.  I tried it out on a costar board today and it worked fine.  So it does indeed seem to be an issue with Cherry stabilizers and the incorrectly placed stems

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:47:31 »
It worked!  I got a replacement today.  Immediately measured and it was 100mm exactly from center to center on stems.  Guys, it's incredible how much of a difference it makes. Also I measured the other one again and it's 99.25 mm. That's crazy how 3/4 of a mm can make the key feel like garbage on Cherry stabilizers.

THank you so much Tom_Kazansky for your help.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2017, 19:50:41 by reececonrad »