Author Topic: SP not making any more Round orders after 6b  (Read 5036 times)

Offline Arallu

SP not making any more Round orders after 6b
« on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 10:02:58 »
From their what's new section:
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/whats-new/

"We are still waiting for funds for Round 6b. Once received, we will review the production schedule and provide an estimated completion date. Currently we are booked out to the end of 2017 in two-shot SA sets. Due to a number of factors, the main one being the overwhelming demand for custom SA sets, Round 6b will be the last of the Round orders we will produce in the foreseeable future."

Offline scwoopz

Re: SP not making any more Round orders after 6b
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 11:10:27 »
I'm almost 100% sure that just means that they will not take and more orders until the backup is done

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ortho or shmortho

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 14:21:54 »
Looks like another SA buy made it in as SP is noting that SA is now booked through November.  It was previously listed as booked through October.

Damn.  Just need a bit of money for a thermal injection machine, CNC, steel blocks, and someone to design the molds or possibly work with the scans matt3o had done for those beamspring caps if he's game.  No biggie, right?  /s

:(

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 17:43:45 »
what is 6b? is that the same as round 7

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 18:26:32 »

No, Round 6 was split in to an A and B phase.  I think A was done and B hasn't been fully paid for yet.

It's all too confusing to me.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 18:37:31 »

No, Round 6 was split in to an A and B phase.  I think A was done and B hasn't been fully paid for yet.

That's the reason that I jumped out... it was all too confusing.  But now, I've decided that I don't like SA for functional uses at all, so good that I did jump out.

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 20:13:57 »

So round 7 isn't happening? I just got an invoice from 7bot for a couple of kits and was about to pay it.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 20:24:25 »

So round 7 isn't happening? I just got an invoice from 7bot for a couple of kits and was about to pay it.

Well with SP saying they wouldn't be doing any more for the 'foreseeable future'.. whatever that actually means, it's up to you.  If you have disposable income that you want to toss around without actually knowing if it will happen, then go for it.  Personally, I'd at least wait a bit.

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 20:27:27 »

Well with SP saying they wouldn't be doing any more for the 'foreseeable future'.. whatever that actually means, it's up to you.  If you have disposable income that you want to toss around without actually knowing if it will happen, then go for it.  Personally, I'd at least wait a bit.

The round 7 page does say production would most likely be somewhere into 2018, so I guess this information may not be saying anything different.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 20:55:42 »

The round 7 page does say production would most likely be somewhere into 2018, so I guess this information may not be saying anything different.

Well judging by the quote in the OP from SP's site, I really don't see Round 7 happening.  This news seemed to just come out today, so maybe you should wait until there is a bit more clarification on things.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 21:32:38 »
I'd suggest going to the source, and asking this on Deskthority.  There's not even a thread for it that I've seen.

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 21:35:27 »
I'd suggest going to the source, and asking this on Deskthority.  There's not even a thread for it that I've seen.

I did Pm 7bit to ask for clarification.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 21:35:42 »
Seems to me the logical next step is to expand your production environment to meet the need of the business. Do we need to send SP to "Shark Tank"?  :p
-Dana

Offline punksinatra

• Random Stuff
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 10:21:44 »
Seems to me the logical next step is to expand your production environment to meet the need of the business. Do we need to send SP to "Shark Tank"?  :p

Some Chinese company is expanding SP's business already... I saw a post in /r/mechanicalkeyboard. SA profile made in China

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 11:11:54 »

I did Pm 7bit to ask for clarification.

I'd advise making a thread to give it more visibility.

Offline zslane

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 11:54:48 »
7bit is asking fund collectors to refund everyone hold off sending funds to SP until things can be sorted out. But it looks like Round 6 phase 2 is still on, while Round 7 is uncertain (but not dead) at this point.

BTW, Signature Plastics could deploy more machines to make double-shot SA, but they would go unused. SP doesn't have the staff to ramp up production any further, and being located in remote farmland country of northwestern WA there is virtually no hiring pool to draw from for new employees (who would then have to be trained, a good percentage of which won't work out because of the nature of the work).
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 January 2017, 12:47:05 by zslane »

Offline dante

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 12:05:14 »

Some Chinese company is expanding SP's business already... I saw a post in /r/mechanicalkeyboard. SA profile made in China

I would love to see a competitor come in and clone the Devlin Q-Series.

The current profile is missing shift keys, space bar, enter keys (both ANSI and ISO.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 January 2017, 12:09:25 by dante »

Offline zslane

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 12:41:30 »
Somehow I doubt that the Chinese SA clones will be available with double-shot legends. That makes them below second-rate as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 13:04:22 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:41:12 by Arallu »

Offline zslane

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 16:03:01 »
A classic Internet over-reaction. The truth is there simply isn't enough information to make any conclusions like that.

But let's face it, SP doesn't have to create any kind of new policy regarding community group buys. With the steady flow of MassDrop GBs already taking up the rest of the year, there is precious little room for community group buys anyway. The mere reality of scheduling in the MassDrop era organically squeezes out community-run efforts lacking the same level of organizational acumen and/or buying power. It makes no business sense for SP to refuse orders for keysets that meet their MOQ, and which are paid for properly (and by properly I mean fully and in a timely manner), regardless of where they come from.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 23:26:00 »
Much ado about nothing.  SP is completely booked on SA doubleshot sets right now and are noting such.  Given how long it takes 7-bit buys to go through, I think it's less a problem.