Author Topic: Problem Reviving Old Apple Extended Keyboard (AEK) - Keys Double Pressing  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Happy Pizza Guy

I recently bought a clean but untested Apple Extended Keyboard (the original, not II). To test it out with my iMac (Mac OS X Sierra), I purchased a generic S-Video cable (cheaper than ADB) and a Griffin iMate.

Long story short, everything seems to work, but some of the keys will double-register while I'm typing. It  happens on a variety of keys, and it only happens randomly every dozen or so words.

It's a bit of an odd problem and I'm having trouble deciding on ways I could fix it. Increasing key-repeat delay in OS X settings does not help - it must be sending the key-press twice.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any ideas? Thanks!

Offline ShawnMeg

Re: Problem Reviving Old Apple Extended Keyboard (AEK) - Keys Double Pressing
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 15:00:05 »
A simple thing to do first is to disassemble the troubled switches and clean out any debris. 

I had a few Cherry MX switches that chattered, and someone recommended putting a couple drops of isopropyl alcohol in the switch, and then rapidly depress the swtich repeatedly.  This worked without having to disassemble the switch.  Perhaps, some of the more experienced forum members who have more experience with ALPs switches can chime in to see if this would be a reasonable option as well for ALPs switches. 

If neither of these maneuvers work, you can desolder the bad switches and replace with either switches that aren't used much (print screen, scroll lock, or pause), or purchase some replacement ALPs switches to solder those in.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2017, 15:10:45 by ShawnMeg »

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 21:49:21 »
Experienced Alps guy here.

First try cleaning the switches, Chyros had a good tutorial. If it is dust free yet still does it the switchplate is likely bad, so you will need to get a replacement. This requires desoldering. The nice thing is that even if you get a hold of a switch that isn't the same as yours (but still has the same type of switchplate) you can just swap the switchplates around and use the old spring, slider, housing etc.

What I recommend for cleaning is, once the switch is cleaned, take off the switchplate metal leaf contact and spray compressed air into the switchplate, then put the leaf back on. This will likely rejuvenate the switchplate. Had to do this to a SKCM Blue on my Packard Bell.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2017, 21:51:31 by Mattr567 »
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 05:20:58 »
This is a chatter issue, likely caused by debris in the switchplate. Blow some compressed air through the switchplate and see if that fixes it. If the problem persists or returns, do a switchplate transplant like Matt mentioned.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline need

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 05:29:26 »
I've had this problem before, and it's fixed by tweaking the distance between the contact leaf and the switch plate (the white surface). You can do this by bending the leaf to a greater/smaller angle.

Image by Daniel Beardsmore from the Deskthority wiki for reference:

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 05:31:36 by need »

Offline Happy Pizza Guy

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 14:46:03 »
Thanks guys! I'm going to try giving them a good clean and see what happens.