Author Topic: Greetings from Ohio  (Read 3182 times)

Offline IbnAlfreak

• Keyboard N00b
Greetings from Ohio
« on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 10:54:21 »
Greetings all!

My nametag is IbnAlfreak (pronounced Eebn-El-Freak. (Long story behind the name don't ask). I've recently caught the keyboard modding/building bug, so I stumbled across this forum which has me very excited. I'm currently using a Logitech G710, and I have to say that Cherry MX Blues are my current favorite switch. I'll be gathering the parts here soon for a 60% build. I've always been into building PCs, but wanted to get into something more in depth, something where I actually had to assemble and solder each piece to use it, not just clicking parts into place. I figured keyboards would be a good place to start, endless customization, expression, and it fit in more with what I'm going to school for (B.S. Electronic Engineering Technology). I think I might start by modding my current keyboard, so stay tuned for updates on that  :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 December 2017, 10:20:56 by IbnAlfreak »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Greetings from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 09:47:46 »
Welcome!  That's a very unique name and I can only imagine what it's like in school.  (I can only imagine the lines you try on the ladies too--'yes, because freak is in my name after all'.  :-*)

That being said, you should definitely try the buckling spring if you like the cherry blues.  They have a snappier feel although they feel a bit heavier.  There's also some great alps switches and even cherry clones have some great feels to them.  Gotta try them all!  :cool:

Offline IbnAlfreak

• Keyboard N00b
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 10:24:07 »
Sorry, I meant my nametag is pronounced, real name is Nathan, whoops.  :)) A lot of people always ask me how IbnAlfreak is pronounced.
I recently bought a switch tester and really like the MX Greens too, those are nice. Although I would love to get some true buckling spring switches after typing on a classic Model M for a little while the other day.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 12:06:05 »
Sorry, I meant my nametag is pronounced, real name is Nathan, whoops.  :)) A lot of people always ask me how IbnAlfreak is pronounced.
I recently bought a switch tester and really like the MX Greens too, those are nice. Although I would love to get some true buckling spring switches after typing on a classic Model M for a little while the other day.
Aw man!  'El Freak' would have been the bomb if it was real!

That's great to hear about the greens. :)  I have a green board on the way so I hope I like them as much as you do.  As far as the buckling spring--it's actually not a switch, so you won't be able to get switches.  But if you loved the Model M feel, check out the Great Finds forum here and you should be able to snag a nice one at a good price, or of course you can buy one brand new from Unicomp for a little more.  :thumb:

I'm a little partial to the buckling spring (if you haven't guessed by now, lol), and find that all variants have slight differences that make them slightly unique in terms of feel.  For example, I'm typing on a UK model M that feels slightly heavier than another M that I have (that may or may not be made in the UK--can't check atm), and both are heavier than a used Unicomp I picked up locally.  All 3 are great and my hands love them all, but can sense the slight differences.  And it's in the vein of that same difference that you'll find the model F and XT.

Offline Cheeks

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 10:40:47 »
Hello all! I'm actually from Dayton but didn't see that one stated. Glad to be here!!

Currently using a Leopold FC900R with MX red. How do you get a picture of a keyboard under your name? I can't figure that out yet.