Author Topic: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - Shipping  (Read 252138 times)

Offline FactoryDefaults

Re: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - Shipping
« Reply #600 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:12:40 »
Anyone knows how to map/remap keys?

Seems like theres nothing mapped when i jump with tweezers, and i want to know if i have a broken pcb before i start soldering.

It's supposed to use TMK so maybe ZZ or someone else can post up a working .hex for you.
That would be neat yeah.

What program do i use once i have a hex file to upload it?

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #601 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:28:37 »
I believe you should be able to use Flip (Formerly known as Atmel Flip)

In any case I would wait for someone with more information to chime in.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline swangful

« Reply #602 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:42:00 »

Seems like theres nothing mapped when i jump with tweezers, and i want to know if i have a broken pcb before i start soldering.

It's supposed to use TMK so maybe ZZ or someone else can post up a working .hex for you.
That would be neat yeah.

How did you solder the mini usb? :O

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #603 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:47:23 »

That would be neat yeah.

Like that!

Just looked up wire pictures on google and this should be it. Board gets recognized but seems like theres no keymap on it yet.

So hope anyone has a .hex file for me.

Offline swangful

« Reply #604 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 17:22:34 »

That would be neat yeah.

Like that!

Just looked up wire pictures on google and this should be it. Board gets recognized but seems like theres no keymap on it yet.

So hope anyone has a .hex file for me.
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Awesome, thank you so much! I'll hopefully get a working keymap eventually :D

Offline Kavik

« Reply #605 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 21:15:11 »
I got two PCBs and two plates so that I could swap out switch types easily, but, if this daughterboard is soldered to the PCB, would I need to get a second daughterboard? I'm wondering what the best approach is for this.

I received mine today, and, holy crap, it's hefty! There's a small scuff on left side and a slightly stripped screw hole on the brass weight, but otherwise it looks fantastic! Thanks for the excellent GB! Even though it took a little longer than expected, it went very smoothly with no drama, which is awesome!

Any word on the special keycap for those of us who submitted logo designs?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #606 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 22:44:32 »
didnt see in the posted pics that there is a daugtherboard and looks like the usb placing in the pcb is positioned correctly from the case usb hole altho abit deeper. So that means that its standard? Just curious cause it wasnt mentioned anywhere that it is.

Hi Krytone,

Sorry I just saw this. For you it will be http://www.dpe.net.cn/Tracking.php due to your location
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #607 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 23:28:06 »
didnt see in the posted pics that there is a daugtherboard and looks like the usb placing in the pcb is positioned correctly from the case usb hole altho abit deeper. So that means that its standard? Just curious cause it wasnt mentioned anywhere that it is.

Hi Krytone,

Sorry I just saw this. For you it will be http://www.dpe.net.cn/Tracking.php due to your location
Thanks man  :-*
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline Kavik

« Reply #608 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 23:39:59 »
I got two PCBs and two plates so that I could swap out switch types easily, but, if this daughterboard is soldered to the PCB, would I need to get a second daughterboard? I'm wondering what the best approach is for this.

I received mine today, and, holy crap, it's hefty! There's a small scuff on left side and a slightly stripped screw hole on the brass weight, but otherwise it looks fantastic! Thanks for the excellent GB! Even though it took a little longer than expected, it went very smoothly with no drama, which is awesome!

Additionally, every key is working except for R-WIN. I have a winkeyless model, so this will be my right-ALT. It doesn't register at all (with a switch in it or with tweeters shorting it). Has anyone else had this issue? I have a second PCB to test with, but I've already soldered the daughterboard to this one and can't desolder it now since the plate is in the way.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #609 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 23:42:45 »

Additionally, every key is working except for R-WIN. I have a winkeyless model, so this will be my right-ALT. It doesn't register at all (with a switch in it or with tweeters shorting it). Has anyone else had this issue? I have a second PCB to test with, but I've already soldered the daughterboard to this one and can't desolder it now since the plate is in the way.

did you try mapping something to it just to make sure it's not blank? I've had that issue with some PCBs before
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #610 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 02:37:40 »

Could you possible share with us how you mapped your keys? Or was there already a layout mapped to your pcb?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #611 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 02:39:18 »

Could you possible share with us how you mapped your keys? Or was there already a layout mapped to your pcb?

there might be a layout preflashed that doesn't have anything mapped to that part of the matrix

it's mostly an issue with bootmapper PCBs

i don't have one of these so i can't really help by sharing a keymap
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #612 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 02:47:13 »

there might be a layout preflashed that doesn't have anything mapped to that part of the matrix

Ah too bad..

Supposedly it's a TMK pcb, and that it's programmed on tgk.io, but i don't see a option for moon there, and on top of that i have no idea how to edit those keymaps and how to upload it.

So if anyone here knows how to do all this, please share your knowledge here. I would like to start soldering today.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #613 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 06:45:37 »

Damn, that's a bummer to hear. I also got 2 PCBs and would've expected each to come with it's own daughter board. Will probably have to solder in some extra wire and use a connector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #614 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 06:49:51 »
I would love to hear from people who manage to get all of this work as to how they did it. I am also expecting an extra PCB and would have expected to get a daughter board for each. In fact, I wasn't even aware at the beginning of the GB that this would require an extra daughter board.

Let us know how you fare!

Also, it'd be nice if the PCB designer or zzyjayfree could write up a guide on the PCB.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #615 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 08:08:48 »
In fact, I wasn't even aware at the beginning of the GB that this would require an extra daughter board.

This is news to me too. Seems like a strange oversight to not include one per PCB

Offline Kavik

« Reply #616 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 09:49:50 »

I will check the keymapping once I figure out how to get TMK working, which is apparently the most complicated thing in the world to set up (I have to install a Linux VM; wut?). I was hoping to avoid having to mess with it since it's just a TKL and doesn't need any special mapping, but I'll report back if that fixes the issue once I get it up and running. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #617 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 09:51:26 »

I will check the keymapping once I figure out how to get TMK working, which is apparently the most complicated thing in the world to set up (I have to install a Linux VM; wut?). I was hoping to avoid having to mess with it since it's just a TKL and doesn't need any special mapping, but I'll report back if that fixes the issue once I get it up and running. Thanks for the suggestion.
Ah okay, thats odd that your pcb has a keymap already and mine doesnt. Could you check my previous post to see if i soldered the usb wires correctly?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #618 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 09:58:47 »

Ah okay, thats odd that your pcb has a keymap already and mine doesnt. Could you check my previous post to see if i soldered the usb wires correctly?

Ha, I actually used your pictures as a guide, so I soldered the wires in the same way you did. I plugged the PCB into my computer, and it was detected immediately and loaded the driver (Kimera core). I used tweezers to test five or six of the keys before building it.

Also, I just checked the carrying case again, and there is indeed a second daughterboard. I just didn't see it through all of the foam and bubble wrap. My apologies for any panic I may have caused.

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #619 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 10:05:47 »

Ha, I actually used your pictures as a guide, so I soldered the wires in the same way you did. I plugged the PCB into my computer, and it was detected immediately and loaded the driver (Kimera core). I used tweezers to test five or six of the keys before building it.

Also, I just checked the carrying case again, and there is indeed a second daughterboard. I just didn't see it through all of the foam and bubble wrap. My apologies for any panic I may have caused.
Haha okay good, yeah these wires should be the way to solder them, was just curious since you have a working keymap.

Ah so with uploading a driver you got also a keymap with it? Could you care to explain how you did that?

I just need a default keymap so i can check if everything is working, and that i can start soldering.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #620 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 10:43:10 »

Haha okay good, yeah these wires should be the way to solder them, was just curious since you have a working keymap.

Ah so with uploading a driver you got also a keymap with it? Could you care to explain how you did that?

I just need a default keymap so i can check if everything is working, and that i can start soldering.

I didn't do anything special. I literally just plugged it into my computer and waited four or five seconds for the "device detected/loading driver" notification to pop up, and then it started working. I did the same thing with my laptop. I wish I could be of more help. If I have time tonight, I'll look more into setting up TMK and messing with the keymap.

I tried stepping through these videos last night, but it was 2 AM, and I was too tired to comprehend. Maybe they'll be helpful (they're for QMK, but I think the process is similar):

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #621 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 11:17:38 »
Alright so, i think i figured it out. All i need is a .hex file specifically for moon.

I think theres a default keymap on moon already, i probably just messed up. Correct me if im wrong.

On the back of the pcb by the spacebar area, there is a button. Do **not** press this, since it resets the board, with also wiping the keymap thats on it.

Ill add my usb wiring pics again, because these are correct. Please let me know your findings after soldering the usb and connecting to your pc, if there is already a default keymap.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2018, 11:33:38 by FactoryDefaults »

Offline swangful

« Reply #622 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 12:27:10 »
I’ll be soldering mine today, I’ll let you know

Any idea what these are for?

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #623 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 13:04:55 »

Show Image

I believe these are extra diodes and resistors, if it happens that one breaks off.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #624 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 13:05:57 »

Show Image

looks like extra diodes/resistors in case anything falls off

Offline maximm

« Reply #625 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 13:59:09 »

Arent those to connectors for the daughter board? Solder the black one on the PCB and the cables in the white one, and then you can move the cable?

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #626 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 14:08:34 »

Arent those to connectors for the daughter board? Solder the black one on the PCB and the cables in the white one, and then you can move the cable?
The plastic parts is just the packaging, since theyre so tiny. The usb wiring can be seen couple posts above.

Offline Manticzeus

« Reply #627 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 16:58:34 »
Alright so, i think i figured it out. All i need is a .hex file specifically for moon.

I think theres a default keymap on moon already, i probably just messed up. Correct me if im wrong.

On the back of the pcb by the spacebar area, there is a button. Do **not** press this, since it resets the board, with also wiping the keymap thats on it.

Ill add my usb wiring pics again, because these are correct. Please let me know your findings after soldering the usb and connecting to your pc, if there is already a default keymap.
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

I think I am in the same boat as you except I have a keymap but it seems to be very off (my 2 is backspace for example). Hopfully we can get a hex soon soon so I can build!
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2018, 17:03:32 by Manticzeus »

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #628 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 17:34:07 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

I think I am in the same boat as you except I have a keymap but it seems to be very off (my 2 is backspace for example). Hopfully we can get a hex soon soon so I can build!
Hmm very odd that keymaps seem to be different per pcb.

Jay hook us up with a hex file!

Offline swangful

« Reply #629 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 21:19:45 »
Looks like after plugging my PCB in windows cant install the drivers properly D:

EDIT: Fixed this with bootloader...now to figure out this hex business.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2018, 21:39:17 by swangful »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #630 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 23:47:22 »
I've been looking into TMK a bit, but, since I'm just missing one key, I thought I didn't need to go through the whole firmware compilation and flashing procedure; I just need a keymap.

The first step would appear to be using the keyboard layout editor (http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/) to create a layout and then using TMK Keymap Generator (https://tkg.io/#) to create a keymap from the raw data (it even has "Kimera" as one of the keyboards listed in the dropdown. I selected "Kimera 3000" in the config tab) and download it. That's where I get a bit lost. Do I have to re-build the firmware with my particular keymap and then reflash the PCB? Is that how this works?

I'm really terrible with this kind of thing unless there are explicit instructions.

Offline Manticzeus

« Reply #631 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 00:12:46 »
I've been looking into TMK a bit, but, since I'm just missing one key, I thought I didn't need to go through the whole firmware compilation and flashing procedure; I just need a keymap.

The first step would appear to be using the keyboard layout editor (http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/) to create a layout and then using TMK Keymap Generator (https://tkg.io/#) to create a keymap from the raw data (it even has "Kimera" as one of the keyboards listed in the dropdown. I selected "Kimera 3000" in the config tab) and download it. That's where I get a bit lost. Do I have to re-build the firmware with my particular keymap and then reflash the PCB? Is that how this works?

I'm really terrible with this kind of thing unless there are explicit instructions.

I did all the steps it stated on the tkg thread and tried reflashing mine with a layout the same way you did and nothing seemed to change, still a strange layout. Ive talked to a friend who said he should be able to swap it over to qmk if needed so ill probably just end up doing that if I cant figure it out. Also do any of you have problems with inserting a cable into the mini usb when the case is all put together? With it assembled cables wont go all the way into the usb port. Weird part is if the screws aren't in then it goes in just fine.

Edit: After checking out the layout on mine more it seems my the columns on my layout are mixed up. Like the column that backspace is on is in the column where 2 is and then 1 and grave are - and + respectively. Im not really sure why this is exactly, I have 0 experience with tmk.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 00:44:37 by Manticzeus »

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #632 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 01:14:59 »
Is anyone who received theirs already willing to share a top-down photo of the full PCB?

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #633 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 12:21:41 »
I'm in batch 2. Is it too late to ask for an extra pcb and plate? Thanks!

Offline swangful

« Reply #634 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 15:13:28 »
Is anyone who received theirs already willing to share a top-down photo of the full PCB?

Offline Manticzeus

« Reply #635 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 16:56:37 »
I used tkg.io to try and flash the matrix and layout of a friend who was in the china gb and it didn't seem to work for me. I think I just need to figure out the correct key matrix and it should be fine, Im terrible at this stuff though and I talked to a buddy that runs a keyboard repair/service and hes gonna swap it over to qmk and do a layout for me. Kinda sad since I wanted to do this all myself but Im not gonna have time in the future.

In any case heres some pics.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #636 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:50:15 »
Great looking board. Bummer that the china gb file doesn't work. I'm hoping once I get mine in I'll be able to port it over to qmk relatively quick.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #637 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 10:41:47 »
Great looking board. Bummer that the china gb file doesn't work. I'm hoping once I get mine in I'll be able to port it over to qmk relatively quick.

if you do, post it here :)
just got mine in, but won't come around to build it for a few days or weeks... also, gotta lube and sticker up the switches I wanna use in it

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #638 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 13:04:11 »
Hey there, I was away for a while, life got in the way. I see there seems to be a lot of questions regarding the mapping and soldering. As I don’t have the board myself yet (gotta send out as many as possible to buyers first..), I can’t say much about it. But I’ve request an instruction from the PCB designer. Hopefully I’ll get it soon!

A wild Pikachu has appeared!
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #639 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 13:19:40 »
I used tkg.io to try and flash the matrix and layout of a friend who was in the china gb and it didn't seem to work for me. I think I just need to figure out the correct key matrix and it should be fine, Im terrible at this stuff though and I talked to a buddy that runs a keyboard repair/service and hes gonna swap it over to qmk and do a layout for me. Kinda sad since I wanted to do this all myself but Im not gonna have time in the future.

In any case heres some pics.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Holy cow, that looks good!

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #640 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 13:28:39 »
Hey there, I was away for a while, life got in the way. I see there seems to be a lot of questions regarding the mapping and soldering. As I don’t have the board myself yet (gotta send out as many as possible to buyers first..), I can’t say much about it. But I’ve request an instruction from the PCB designer. Hopefully I’ll get it soon!

A wild Pikachu has appeared!

This is great news. Thanks for chiming in.

Offline 1905ChelseaBlues

« Reply #641 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:03:28 »
Invoice paid -- can't wait!

Offline EvoPlatypus

« Reply #642 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:27:18 »
There was a daughterboard and wires with the PCB? can't find them :(

Offline Kavik

« Reply #643 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:30:51 »

One of the daughterboards was already attached to the case/frame on mine, and the other one was in a small, separate plastic bag in the carrying case.

Offline swangful

« Reply #644 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:31:08 »

Mine were attached to the case. PCB was separately wrapped.

Offline EvoPlatypus

« Reply #645 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:36:25 »

Mine was not and is MIA.

Need to look at the spread sheet. I don't think i got the right colors either.

Offline swangful

« Reply #646 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:41:40 »

Mine was not and is MIA.

Shoot...good luck brotha

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #647 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:07:59 »
any one else missing hardware to the case? mine is missing 6 screws in the top half of the case
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 02:35:10 by DillonHightower »

Offline EvoPlatypus

« Reply #648 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:09:20 »

Mine was not and is MIA.

Shoot...good luck brotha

Show Image

Thanks. Sent ZZ a message. someday i will have a board for my godspeed. . . .

Offline Kavik

« Reply #649 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:12:22 »
any one else missing hardware to the case? mine is missing 6 screws in the top half of the case

Show Image

Have you checked inside the carrying case or around the carpet where you opened it? I had a loose screw that fell out of the brass weight when I first opened it because it was partially stripped. I was able to screw it back in a little bit.