Author Topic: [GB] XDA Oblique (complete)  (Read 166121 times)

Offline sleepybrett

Re: [GB] XDA Oblique (In Production)
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 10:10:27 »
>  It is getting close to CNY so IDK if they can deliver before then like they promised

This is why you put deadlines w/ claw-backs into production run contracts.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 10:14:37 »
>  It is getting close to CNY so IDK if they can deliver before then like they promised

Good luck getting a factory to sign up for that.  Not for the small time money these runs make them, no way

Offline VaclavKucera

• Helidox w/Halostotles | Planck r6 w/Blacks
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 15:39:10 »

Good luck getting a factory to sign up for that.  Not for the small time money these runs make them, no way

Agreed, that's pretty much unheard of in the community, all we get are estimates. It seems like it wasn't really a promise in the first place, just that they were hoping to be done by CNY. So far the delays are reasonable, that's what we all signed up for.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #203 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 10:35:52 »
Got another update from the manufacturer today. Their productivity was not as high as expected with people taking holidays early for CNY, so they won't be finished before the Chinese new year :( . Their new delivery estimate is the end of February.

They did send some photos of the production sets though (albeit in ****ty factory lighting):

GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #204 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 10:46:47 »
Got another update from the manufacturer today. Their productivity was not as high as expected with people taking holidays early for CNY, so they won't be finished before the Chinese new year :( . Their new delivery estimate is the end of February.

They did send some photos of the production sets though (albeit in ****ty factory lighting):

Show Image

Show Image

Looking great, excited to get my set :)

Offline ceflame

« Reply #205 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 10:59:14 »
Awesome, glad to get another official update from the manufacturer. March/April to get the set to my door doesn't seem too bad.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
[GB] XDA Oblique (In Production)
« Reply #206 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:13:05 »
Awesome, glad to get another official update from the manufacturer. March/April to get the set to my door doesn't seem too bad.
.....better than SP’s 6 month & longer delays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:57:25 »
Glad to see an update. Looking good. Got a board ready for them.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline silversung

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 17:29:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

Nice.

Offline buthidae

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 19:10:40 »
Looks brilliant! :thumb:

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 20:49:31 »
looks great

Offline megastyle

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 21:07:25 »
Sweet! I'm digging these colors even more than those in the renders  :thumb:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 21:11:12 »
Let's go

Offline wiremankbd

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 21:30:17 »
 :thumb:

Offline VaclavKucera

« Reply #214 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 08:40:37 »
Looks awesome! Love the way the pastel colours turned out, can't wait to get my set. End of February is still pretty decent.

Offline sosquidtaste

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:57:45 »

Thanks as always for steering the ship and keeping us updated.

Oh boy, those sample images sure are making it hard to be patient. Love it!

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:24:28 »

Glad to see some updates too. But its 6months at Feb...

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 14:51:40 »

Glad to see some updates too. But its 6months at Feb...
...I stand corrected. I stand corrected, still had to pick @ SP since they take so long!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 15:08:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Amazing and stoked

Offline 104-Key

« Reply #219 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 20:51:02 »
What board are you guys putting this on? I have been thinking about this off and on for months. Each time I think I know I use the board for something else. By board, I'm curious about layout and color.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 21:47:13 »
What board are you guys putting this on? I have been thinking about this off and on for months. Each time I think I know I use the board for something else. By board, I'm curious about layout and color.

Been thinking maybe the modern M0110, depending on which switches I end up going with. I tend to like pairing XDA with light linear switches.

Offline Starius

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 00:10:59 »

Been thinking maybe the modern M0110, depending on which switches I end up going with. I tend to like pairing XDA with light linear switches.

It's been my intention to put these on a Modern M0110 (Light Sand Cerakote) well.  Interestingly enough, both projects seem to be progressing at about the same pace in production which has worked out alright. 

Offline hahihuhei

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 03:20:33 »
Onto this,
my custom wireless ergo,
not sure if the case color is right for this though:
211600-0

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 05:01:09 »

My plan remains the same, as in I will put it on my weird-ass Katana60.

Funny thing is, after this GB, for some reasons this type of italic legends has picked up steam elsewhere. I have one of these on the way for my HHKB:

Offline cheetodust

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:34:05 »
I need this set but it looks like I'm several months too late.  With the first run still pending shipment, I know it's premature, but is there any way for someone outside the initial group buy to get this set?  Any unclaimed sets in the run or a future run planned at all?  Or if anyone else wants out of the GB I'd be glad to take someone else's set. 

Offline Starius

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 09:11:25 »

Funny thing is, after this GB, for some reasons this type of italic legends has picked up steam elsewhere. I have one of these on the way for my HHKB:

Show Image

Show Image

I kinda know what you mean here. 

I put Canvas XDA on my Tokyo60.
211616-0

While not quite italic, I feel Canvas is somewhat related to Oblique in nature.  Like these keycap sets are descended from alternate timelines out of the 80s.  There's just something about them on this form factor that is quite visually appealing. 

Offline VaclavKucera

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:20:04 »
Onto this,
my custom wireless ergo,
(Attachment Link)

What board is that? Is that an Ergotravel with a 3D printed case or something completely custom?

Offline silversung

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 17:39:46 »

Thinking about preordering the mechmini MASK from mechkeys.ca. Going for the all around cute look!

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 22:58:08 »

Thinking about preordering the mechmini MASK from mechkeys.ca. Going for the all around cute look!

Woah, that looks cool--especially the PC case. I'm terrified of ortho tho. This dog is too old to learn new tricks.

Offline silversung

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 23:23:48 »

Woah, that looks cool--especially the PC case. I'm terrified of ortho tho. This dog is too old to learn new tricks.

Oh but if you get the full kit, it comes with two plates, one ortho and one staggered.

Offline hahihuhei

« Reply #230 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 02:21:31 »
Onto this,
my custom wireless ergo,
(Attachment Link)

What board is that? Is that an Ergotravel with a 3D printed case or something completely custom?
It's a fully customize board, I "designed" the PCB base on Mitosis, now it's an hot-swappable board, but the PCBs are no longer reversible.

Then I designed and 3d printed the case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 11:27:39 »

Was thinking about my Ducky One 2, but will probably throw it on my Leopold FC750R after breaking them in on my POK3R, which I keep at home. I'm going to have to grab another board if I keep buying sets…

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 12:35:18 »

I've had this set planned for my purple Preonic. My little "take everywhere" board.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #233 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 12:46:56 »

This will be going on my Duck TC-v3  :)

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
« Reply #234 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 13:08:13 »

Show Image

Show Image

I kinda know what you mean here. 

I put Canvas XDA on my Tokyo60.
(Attachment Link)

While not quite italic, I feel Canvas is somewhat related to Oblique in nature.  Like these keycap sets are descended from alternate timelines out of the 80s.  There's just something about them on this form factor that is quite visually appealing.

Well "Oblique" literally means italic, so not really. But they are thin in nature, so that is related.

Also, the success of Oblique basically lead to the use of the original Oblique legends of the vintage Apple boards. This is a normal thing in this community. Something does really well and everyone copies it. Look at how many different versions of 9009 released this last year after GMK 9009 R2. Its just something that happens.

Offline sleepybrett

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 22:04:17 »
> Well "Oblique" literally means italic, so not really. But they are thin in nature, so that is related.

In typeography Obliques and Italics are actually different, but similar, things. They both achieve the same effect of emphasis but go about it in a slightly different, but important, way.

Italics are not just angled versions of their 'Regular' siblings. They are genreally new letterforms that are more caligraphic.  For instance consider this sample of a variant of Garamond.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/GaramondSpecimenA.svg

You can see that especially the lower case characters exhibit this 'new calligraphic letterform', an especially obvious example being the lowercase a which goes from a regular 'two story' a to a single story a with italicized. Also you will notice that the counter of the a (the enclosed area) detaches from the stem much higher up, you also see this on the q. Similarly the shoulder of the r (the bit on the right) separates from the stem similarly, gradually lower on the stem unlike the regular where it's abrupt right near the top.

Here below is a sample of univers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers#/media/File:Univers_sample_2015.png

As you can see here the oblique characters are simply 'tilted' versions of their 'regular' siblings. Sometimes there are slight changes in the line weight to correct for some visual weight, but generally that kind of change is very subtle.

Generally speaking you will see italic versions of serif typefaces and obliques for sans typefaces. But that's not 100% the case, I've seen a few weirdos in my day.

Just a little education from a type nerd.

The page on Oblique typefaces on wikipedia is pretty good at going into more detail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_type

Offline nephlock

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 11:21:35 »
Happy to see the update! Looking forward to putting these on a board!

Offline tpict

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 14:39:33 »
Looking forward to getting mine! I ordered an ortho kit, but I'm wishing I'd ordered for 60% compatibility too. Will there be leftovers available from EU vendors closer to the shipping date?

Offline Beatnutz

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 15:50:14 »
Looking good! I'll be ready for the extras at any of the vendors.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 15:16:01 »
still end of feb looking good or no?

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
[GB] XDA Oblique (In Production)
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 15:34:31 »
Looking good! I'll be ready for the extras at any of the vendors.
me too

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2019, 12:06:32 by William_S_Jones »

Offline zslane

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 12:31:31 »
I would say it is not looking good for the end of February.

Probably end of March. If we're lucky.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 20:06:10 »
i dont understand what's so hard about giving a one sentence update every two weeks or so....

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 21:09:38 »
i dont understand what's so hard about giving a one sentence update every two weeks or so....

Unfortunately that would require regular communication with the factory, which is usually difficult due to time zone and language barriers. 

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 13:26:39 »

Unfortunately that would require regular communication with the factory, which is usually difficult due to time zone and language barriers.

Pretty much this. I asked for an update a couple days ago but I have yet to hear back.
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 11:25:28 »
I hate the fact I was late to this. I really want a set!

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #246 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 07:49:11 »

There will be some extras once the set eventually ships, although you're far from the first to ask so I'm not sure how long they'll last ;D

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 01:41:18 »

There will be some extras once the set eventually ships, although you're far from the first to ask so I'm not sure how long they'll last ;D

I missed Milkshake and I missed the extras. I’m pretty sure I’ll miss Oblique even though I asked Yuliia at MyKeyboard.eu to get me a set.

So when’s the rerun? 😉

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 05:01:13 »
I just got word that the manufacturer will be sending some production samples to zF next week to check if everything is good with the final sets. This means they have at least started production :)) .

They haven't given any estimated completion dates this time, so I have no idea when they'll be shipping at this point. But considering how inaccurate their previous estimates were I don't think it makes much difference anyway :)) .

Sorry about all the delays everyone has had to sit through. At least there does seem to be some progress even if it is slow. I hope it'll all be worth it in the end.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2019, 05:28:31 by dr_derivative »

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 09:23:13 »
I just got word that the manufacturer will be sending some production samples to zF next week to check if everything is good with the final sets. This means they have  at least started production :)) .

They haven't given any estimated completion dates this time, so I have no idea when they'll be shipping at this point. But considering how inaccurate their previous estimates were I don't think it makes much difference anyway :)) .

Sorry about all the delays everyone has had to sit through. At least there does seem to be some progress even if it is slow. I hope it'll all be worth it in the end.

Yeah after watching how canvas went, I expected delays.  This was also a very well supported GB, so the manu has to churn out a lot of kits.  Looking forward to it nonetheless  :thumb: