Author Topic: Heavy typing vs. short typing - do you prefer different keyboards?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline daneb

Do you have different preferences regarding keyboards between heavy typing (long typing of texts without breaks) versus light/intermittent typing with often breaks (coding with thinking/looking for references, replying to short emails, googling etc)?

For me, it seems that I prefer different types, however I have not clarified yet for myself what the difference is - it does not seem to be just switch weight, but it is definitely one of the factors - e.g. I seem to like Unicomp (BS) or MX-style blue for longer texts, however I may prefer lighter keys (e.g. my new taihao apt soft click switch or some lighter better-quality rubber domes (BTC, Keytronic) for shorter, interrupted writing).

In other words, it seems that it is "getting into writing flow", what brings me pleasure from more heavy/tactile keyboards. Frequent interruptions, on the other hand, make their use unpleasant for me.

What are your opinions/experiences?

Offline rxc92

Re: Heavy typing vs. short typing - do you prefer different keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 08:18:31 »
Typing is typing. If I don't enjoy typing on it for long periods of time, why would I enjoy typing on it for short periods? Perhaps it's just unfamiliarity rather than actually liking things for shorter times.

Offline daneb

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 12:23:45 »
Typing is typing. If I don't enjoy typing on it for long periods of time, why would I enjoy typing on it for short periods? Perhaps it's just unfamiliarity rather than actually liking things for shorter times.

When heavy typing, I usually have another rhythm (more regular), another speed (quicker), a lot less interruptions. When I "short-type", I often break my typing with looking for info, thinking etc. I have to repeatedly "get into typing flow", I often write more slowly, have to re-write etc. And that is for me different feeling/experience (similarly like for somebody is gaming different keyboard experience from typing)

So of course, it is psychological (not physical) difference, however I would think that majority of things around keyboard preferences here are psychological/subjective.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 July 2018, 12:28:23 by daneb »

Offline titanium

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 12:47:36 »

Agree with this. The only reason I even switch keyboards is my sunk cost fallacy. My inner self trying to convince my brain that all the other keyboards I have are not paperweights/waste of money. I do have one that I use 90% of the time but lately I've been lying to myself with the concept "mx reds are better for gaming" and "topre is better for typing long essays" and that's the only reason I switch. But deep down... I know that I'm an idiot and the correct move is to sell off the paperweights that I force myself to use.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 16:10:00 »
I definitely have these preferences.

The amount that I type can vary a lot in a day, and sometimes it's just typing in sentences to people while, other times, it involves a lot of navigation key and modifier use (like writing SQL or something).

I haven't really narrowed down exactly what I like when. I really like heavy, very tactile or very clicky switches; however, I tend to get fatigued when I use them at work. Light clicky or even something like a Model M is easier to use for a full day for me. BOX Navies are awesome, but, after about four rounds of keyhero, my fingers start getting slow.

I've been using BOX Royals with SA caps for several weeks at work, and, while I love it, it does get rather tiring. I keep a board with Kaihl Low profile blues and an OK rubber dome in my desk draw just so I have something lighter to type on if it starts getting to me. Oddly, the Model M never bothered me, probably because it's perfect. It's just too loud to use in the shared office space I'm in now. I've thought about bringing my original MX Blue board back up to work, but it might be too loud also.

For what it's worth, I do think MX Reds are probably the best for gaming. I really hate linears for typing, but they are great for games. I do occassionally play games with clicky switches though, just not MX blues.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 16:54:22 »
I am an old man, and muscle memory rules. I don't want force myself into changes unnecessarily any more than I have to.

That said, I do rotate keyboards occasionally, but only between my trusty Model F 122-key and some dead-standard ANSI board such as a Dell AT101 or an Omnikey 101.

Once in a blue moon, I get out something like an NMB Hi-Tek, Acer, or SMK but the small Backspace and short shifts make me want to scream.

I  * HATE *  having to use my laptop, mostly because of the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 July 2018, 16:56:21 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 17:23:04 »
I type faster when I have tactile feedback allowing me to not bottom out while still being positive the key actuated.

However, this is totally down to preference. Of course, it may all be in my head, but personally, I feel I type faster this way.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 21:58:06 »
Just from a comfort standpoint:

Long sessions - My board with Halo stems in cherry housings. This is my daily driver at work as a developer.
Short sessions - Either the above mentioned board or my Topre 45g.
Typing speed test - Hako True without a doubt.

I like all of them though and wouldn't be upset if I had to use any of them for any task.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 04:13:59 »
I find a linear switch to be nicer for typing messages quickly but for prolonged typing I definitely prefer something with tactility.