Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline rich0d

What is this?
« on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 10:53:15 »
So I've been having some issues with my wrists at work, I've adjusted from slouching (my signature move around the office) to sitting up right, not low-riding in my chair, moved my monitors up to eye level, all the usual health & safety standards bollocks in a hope that this fk'ing pain will go away.

I also looked for a new ergo keyboard (I had a MS ergo 4k before switching to my Noppoo Choc Mini a few months ago) which wasn't stupidly expensive, and a pleasure to type on - I stumbled across this, tried doing a search on the forums for it, but came up with nothing, there isn't anything in any datasheets regarding what it is, but from the "Full size, full travel, tactile feedback keys with soft end-stop and low noise key actuation" it kinda sounds like browns, but I'm not sure - but owing to the lack of data regarding it on the interwebs, I'm unsure. Ideas?

Here's the store link:

http://store.ergoguys.com/goldtouch-adjustable-keyboard--black.html

Product page:

http://www.goldtouch.com/c-2-adjustable-keyboards-numeric-keypads.aspx

The thing which kinda made me think it may be cherries, is the fact that their numeric keypads are...

TIA.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 October 2011, 10:56:09 by rich0d »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fossala

What is this?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 11:27:45 »
Rubber dome sadly. We need a good split movable mechanical.

Offline rich0d

What is this?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 11:29:15 »
yeah... I kinda had a bit of a brainless moment and forgot how to google properly. Shame. :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fossala

What is this?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 11:31:36 »
Interestingly I was about to by one until a fellow *BSD user pointed me to geekhack and told me to check out mechanicals. 5 keyboards later........

Offline Findecanor

What is this?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 12:18:57 »
Quote from: rich0d;439755
"Full size, full travel, tactile feedback keys with soft end-stop and low noise key actuation" it kinda sounds like browns, but I'm not sure

The keys require quite a bit heavier actuation force than Cherry Brown MX switches. Not very close at all.
As rubber domes go, the keys are quite noisy when they snap back up. The key caps are lasered ABS.
Other than that, it is a high-quality rubber dome keyboard in my opinion.

Offline Gerk

What is this?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 13:38:54 »
Quote from: fossala;439785

Indeed we do.  I'd also love to see one that doesn't try to re-invent the wheel in doing so.  I honestly don't want alternate key layouts or matrix (as opposed to staggered) or something else that's "funky" with the setup ... I just want a standard keyboard layout that's split, has an adjustable angle and mechanical keys (and possibly tenkeyless) without having to build it myself.

Closest thing I've seen yet is the Truly Ergonomic ... well I haven't "seen" it yet, but it if ever ships I will see it :)  It's not split, but it seems to be in a layout that would give the same type of benefit.  They, of course, did feel the need to reinvent the wheel in the (very long and still waiting for it to arrive) process, sigh.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline Keymonger

What is this?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 14:19:27 »
Quote from: fossala;439785

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22780-Interest-Check-Custom-split-ergo-keyboard.

I'm also working on a keyboard, concept is pretty much final but don't hold your breath because at this point I don't even know what a PCB is.

Offline Gerk

What is this?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 14:22:45 »
Quote from: Keymonger;440615
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22780-Interest-Check-Custom-split-ergo-keyboard.

I'm also working on a keyboard, concept is pretty much final but don't hold your breath because at this point I don't even know what a PCB is.

I saw that one but ... too much $$ and it is reinventing the wheel.  Basically I'd love something like what Lanx built, an ms4k ergo with real switches in it instead of rubber dome (and no keypad).
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
What is this?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 16:45:42 »
Quote from: Gerk;440617
I saw that one but ... too much $$ and it is reinventing the wheel.  Basically I'd love something like what Lanx built, an ms4k ergo with real switches in it instead of rubber dome (and no keypad).

I'd say ma large amount of the cost is the CNC machined body. If you made your own body (or took another's) it'd be a lot cheaper.

Given the scarcity (and expense) of split ergonomic mechanical keyboards, how is the ErgoDox "reinventing the wheel" ?

Offline Gerk

What is this?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 16:50:12 »
Quote from: dorkvader;440725
I'd say ma large amount of the cost is the CNC machined body. If you made your own body (or took another's) it'd be a lot cheaper.

Given the scarcity (and expense) of split ergonomic mechanical keyboards, how is the ErgoDox "reinventing the wheel" ?

I say reinventing the wheel because it's not going to be a standard key layout -- neither in placement of keys or the fact that's it's a matrix layout variation and not staggered.  Also I guess the CNCed body comes into play there... nice and all but keeping cost down is important as well.  It would be different if you could actually try one out first to see if it was the board for you, but that's a lot of $$ to shell out for something that doesn't exist yet.  What if you hate it?  So far I'm not a fan of matrix layouts (I've only tried a couple of boards with them though) and not sure I would like the "curved" sort of rows.

Nothing personal against the ErgoDox, quite the opposite I applaud the effort that's going to go into it, just not sure it's what I would personally be looking for in an ergo split board.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
What is this?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 17:35:24 »
Quote from: rich0d;439755
http://store.ergoguys.com/goldtouch-adjustable-keyboard--black.html

I have this keyboard in my cube right now.  One of the best-feeling rubber domes I've ever used, and great ergo-wise.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
What is this?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 00:28:44 »
Quote from: Gerk;440728
I say reinventing the wheel because it's not going to be a standard key layout -- neither in placement of keys or the fact that's it's a matrix layout variation and not staggered.  Also I guess the CNCed body comes into play there... nice and all but keeping cost down is important as well.  It would be different if you could actually try one out first to see if it was the board for you, but that's a lot of $$ to shell out for something that doesn't exist yet.  What if you hate it?  So far I'm not a fan of matrix layouts (I've only tried a couple of boards with them though) and not sure I would like the "curved" sort of rows.

Nothing personal against the ErgoDox, quite the opposite I applaud the effort that's going to go into it, just not sure it's what I would personally be looking for in an ergo split board.

Hmm, your points make sense and are worth consideration. Really, the fact that it's split, and the CNC aluminium body make it appealing to me, though the price greatly offsets that. Maybe I should build a key64 in the meantime? :p

You're right though: I really wish I'd be able to try one out beforehand.

Offline sordna

What is this?
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 01:27:30 »
Quote from: Findecanor;439810
The keys require quite a bit heavier actuation force than Cherry Brown MX switches. Not very close at all.
As rubber domes go, the keys are quite noisy when they snap back up. The key caps are lasered ABS.
Other than that, it is a high-quality rubber dome keyboard in my opinion.

Hmm, actually I own a black usb Goldtouch GTU-0077 and I measured the key actuation force to be 40grams, so it's lighter than cherry MX browns and reds. Also, it's much less noisier that cherry-based keyboards, even in the upstroke. However an older white ps/2 version of the Goldtouch I used many years ago had noticeably harder actuation, perhaps different generations of the Goldtouch feel differently. My black one feels really awesome though. Way smoother than cherry MX browns (which feel gritty/frictiony in comparison).

To the OP, actually "soft stop" should tell you that it's not cherry MX switches, these mechanical switches have a stop that's hard like concrete when you bottom out. It's actually one of the bad things (ergonomically speaking) about most mechanical switches. When I moved from the Goldtouch keyboard to my first Kinesis (with MX browns) I felt that I moved to a wonderful layout but crap switches. Only years later when I tried the o-ring mod (see my sig) I was able to relieve my hands from the harsh landing of MX switches.

Anyway, the Goldtouch keyboard is quite good, especially in the fully tented position (when the middle of the keyboard is set as high as possible) it's a really comfortable position for the wrists.

I've posted about the Goldtouch here, here, and here.

I don't use it anymore because I much prefer the matrix key layout of the Kinesis Advantage, but the Goldtouch is more comfortable and ergonomic than most standard (non-split) mechanical keyboards actually, so I recommend it, even though it's not a mechanical keyboard.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard