Author Topic: GB's for DIY PCB Keyboard Kits?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline steakboy

GB's for DIY PCB Keyboard Kits?
« on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 16:39:34 »
I'm new to Geekhack and am looking for a community where I can participate in group buys for DIY keyboards. Not kits where you just screw together the case, add switches and keycaps and its done. I'm talking about DIY PCBs where you grab the PCB design from a github, send the design to a company to have the blank PCBs printed, and you have to solder on each component yourself. Each diode, capacitor, resistor, LED, rotary encoder, OLED screen, and hotswap socket. Its way cheaper when you get 10+ people together and buy 10 pcbs, 500 diodes, 500 capacitors, 500 resistors together, rather than just a single order.

I have been part of 2 so far, but they were private real world friend groups that we just did our selves. (We did the ErgoDox, and perkey RGB Sofle v2). I'm wanting to do a non-split keyboard next. Id still be down to do an ergo style (ortho linear, column staggered). But im wanting a 40%, 60%, 65%, TKL, or fullsize.

Do group buys like this exist on Geekhack? Is there a subreddit or Discord I should check out?

Offline granola bar enthusiast

Re: GB's for DIY PCB Keyboard Kits?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 19:07:39 »
they exist, but come few and rarely. if you don't want to wait you can get the case and pcb printed at most online manufacturers (pcbway, jlcpcb, etc, etc,) and there are also some instock kits like diykeyboards' dactyl manuform kit, their corne kit, and some others that aren't for ergo's like the infamous mercuito, nibble, but if you are looking for something different they typically are labelled as through hole kits if you are going to be looking at github