Author Topic: [GB] The Enabler [Shipped] Shared on OshPark  (Read 73008 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
[GB] The Enabler [Shipped] Shared on OshPark
« on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:14:42 »
It has arrived.  This is the group buy for the Enabler, the single switch PCB that is both MX and Alps compatible.

Status: Files shared at OshPark.com.  Links at bottom of OP.

On Monday the 16th, I will be sending an email to OshPark with our order, and get with the post office about shipping costs especially for the guys not in the states, and start sending out invoices.

62660-0
This is the front and back of the PCB.

62662-1
And this is the front and back of the PCB with stab holes.

Both images are renderings from OshPark.

I have not provided renderings from OshPark for the space bar versions as the images don't turn out that well for very un square boards.  Either way they look exactly the same as the other stabilized version, but longer

ORDERS CLOSED
One PCB will be required for each switch when using this for a custom board

Responses to the order form have been reset so PLEASE submit a new order.  If you want to add something just make a new order and I can tweak it on my end.  If you want to remove something PM me.

I will be using OshPark for the fab shop on this.  I will be getting exact quotes this week.

According to their pricing page it is $5 per square inch for small run and $1 per square inch for medium run which kicks in at 600 pieces or 150 square inches.  Large run kicks in at 4000 pieces or 1000 square inches i believe.  These numbers are for the small one which measure up to .25 square inches.  The version with the stab holes comes up to 0.96 square inches so these will be more expensive.  I am also working on details on if we get to the large run numbers (or very close at least) with just the small one if we can get a bit of a kick back with the larger one even if we don't technically get to the right numbers with it. 

***Pricing Details***

I have received a reply from Dan with OshPark with regards to pricing details.  With their pricing schedule it does not matter how many separate files we send in one order.  Just the total square inches.  Now with that, they normally give a 20% discount on the order for breaking 1000 square inches.  However, with the size of these PCBs and the amount of material they are losing with panelization, they can only offer a 5% discount with an order of 1000+ square inches.  Now without further delays here are the prices for less than and greater than 1000 square inch order.

Less than 1000 inches total order
Enabler without stabs - $0.25 each piece.
Enabler with stab holes - $0.96 each piece.

***We Are Here***
Greater than 1000 inches total order
Enabler without stabs - $0.237 each piece.
Enabler with stab holes - $0.911 each piece.

[size=18]***Shipping Cost***[/size]
CONUS - $3.5 with tracking
International - $7 USD without tracking $21 with tracking.

I would also like to mention that I am not liable for any damage to any parts either during assembly or use from using either of these parts.  My main concern is with the impact of the stabilizers at the bottom of a keystroke, and the stresses of such being transferred to the pins of the switch.  Also, the fit of the stabilizer version has not been tested as I have no plates with PCB mount holes aside from a 9.75 unit space bar.  You have been warned.  The circuit between the two is identical so I see no reason as to why they shouldn't work electrically.

Files for versions with PCB mount stabilizers for space bars will be made available to download and use at your own discretion.  However, I would like to stress that it would possibly be a good idea to drill a small hole in your plate just to the inside of the stabilizer and affix the PCB to the plate with a screw and a nut on both sides of the PCB.

There will be a military discount that is being extended to veterans, and first responders including fireman, police, EMT.  This discount will be free shipping.  Foreign militaries, and first responders also apply.  All I ask for is verification with a picture with some sort of proof including your face and your GeekHack user name.  This is to avoid people just pulling a random picture off the interwebz to get free shipping.  While I would like to believe that nobody on this forum would intentionally want to fraud this, I have to take some sort of precaution.

While I don't see hitting the 600 unit threshold being difficult (I will be ordering enough for myself to get almost half way there) I am not real sure if we can hit the 4000 unit threshold.  Hence, why there is no price quote for that amount.  Though if we start getting close to that mark I will send an email to OshPark for an official quote.

The concept for this idea is my own with Moz doing all the KiCad work as I have not been able to figure that program out myself.  So many thanks to Moz for the work there.

The files for this will be made open source for free download after this group buy.  Sure anyone can just wait until after the GB to order themselves but with hitting the 600 unit threshold, they can be attained at a cost savings of ~80% off.

Shipping will most likely be bubble mailers.  This is open to world wide members as well.  Though I will have to admit I am not real sure what shipping will cost at this point.

Any questions please feel free to PM me.   Fair warning though I work 6 days on 3 days off with 12 hour days so don't be surprised if I take a day or two to reply.  Also, this is my first group buy so please be patient with growing pains.

Group buy will run about until 15May2014.  At which point each additional order will extend the buy for 24 hours. 

Reasons for going this route for a PCB instead of standard hand wired using solid wire and or diodes for traces.
  • Don't want to pay for a single PCB or 3 from OshPark
  • Don't want to or don't have the ability to solder the rows and columns directly to the pins of the switches
  • Want to have a more secure method for back lighting
  • Want to try something a little bit different

Link to the IC thread.  Pics of current version soldered up into a 3x3 matrix are on page 4.

If you would like to order some please fill out the order form.  I will not be accepting orders placed in the thread.  If you want to comment an order placed, by all means. 

For International orders if you would like orders sent to a proxy just PM me and I am sure we can get it worked out.

Melvang

Edit:  added GB run time
Edit:  Added details about the purpose of the PCB
Edit: Added link to IC thread.
Edit: Added comments about ordering in the thread and International proxy shipping.
Edit:  Took from down for updating for new files.
Edit:  Tweaked OP and opened the order form back up.
Edit:  Added Pricing details.

Enabler single unit pcb
Enabler 2u pcb mount stab
Enabler 6.25u pcb mount stab
Enabler 7u pcb mount stab
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2015, 12:56:18 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: [GB] The Enabler single switch PCB MX and Alps compatible
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:14:55 »
Order status - Currently taking orders
Current total pieces  - 6243 - 314 - 48 - 28 for a total of 6818 pieces
Square inches for order - 1604.5 - 311.04 - 160.512 - 106.4 for a total of 2182.452 square inches.

For the record this is over 15 square feet.

Which means at current pricing it will be
With stab holes $0.911 each
Without stab holes $0.237 each 
I will add up everything and round appropriately.

Current Orders in alphabetical order
Username - 1u - 2u - 6.25u - 7u

AKmalamute - 200 - 5 - 0 - 0  Paid
BunnyLake 280 - 16 - 2 - 2  Paid
Cadrach - 250 - 5  Paid
cjhard - 250 - 0  Paid
CPTBadAss - 4 - 0  Paid
danielucf - 130 - 5 - 1 - 1  Paid
Defect - 200 - 15  Paid
dorkvader - 100 - 4 - 1 - 0  Paid
EppyKay - 200 - 0 - 3 - 0  Paid
foopod - 50 - 0 - 0 - 0  Paid
geniekid - 100 - 0  Paid
GhostofHarry - 100 - 0  Canceled
GSimon - 240 - 24 - 10 - 0  Paid
HoffmanMyster - 150 - 0  Paid
i3oilermaker - 850 - 150 - 25 - 25  Paid
ideus - 70 - 0 - 0 - 0 Order canceled
ijprest - 150 - 10 - 2 - 0  Paid
JaccoW - 30 - 0  Paid
jdcarpe - 130 - 0  Paid
jolonnar - 100 - 0  Paid
mashby - 300 - 0  Paid
McWilloughby - 184 - 6  Paid + Tracking
Melvang - 300 - 0  Paid
mrklaw - 100 - 5  Paid
nathairtras - 75 - 10 - 2 - 0  Paid
nuclearsandwich - 300 - 0  Paid
osxoep - 105 - 0  Paid
oystein.krog - 300 - 10  Paid
pacifist - 75 - 10  Canceled
pasph - 150 - 0  Paid
pyrelink - 80 - 0 - 0 - 0  Paid
RabRhee - 120 - 0  Paid
Razer1987 - 30 - 5 Order canceled
riotonthebay - 125 - 0  Paid
swill - 250 - 15 - 2 - 0  Paid
Tacticalstache - 110 - 5 Order canceled
TheSoulHunter - 120 - 20  Paid
tinlong117 - 20 - 0 - 0 - 0  Paid
tjweir - 200 - 4  Paid
Zeroni13 - 120 - 10  Paid

UPDATED 21MAY2014 12:34pm CST

Orders before reset
AKmalamute - 200
BunnyLake - 300
geniekid - 80
HoffmanMyster - 150
i3oilermaker - 1000
ijprest - 150
jdcarpe - 130
jolonnar - 150
osxoep - 105
RabRhee - 120
riotonthebay - 100
sth - 4
Tacticalstache - 110
CPTBadAss - 4

Orders placed before reset was 2603.
Orders have been reset, please submit a new order.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 August 2014, 23:03:50 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:19:42 »
What do I do with this? It's thus compatible with anything, yet?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:20:52 »

Think of it as a PCB for any custom layout you can get a plate made for.  You would need one pcb for each switch.

Here is a link to the IC  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55744.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:22:54 »
The minimum buy is 3 PCBs?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:23:20 »
ill take the other 300 so with your half we are now all the way to the pricebreak
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:26:24 »
ill take the other 300 so with your half we are now all the way to the pricebreak

Thank you for the support Bunny

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:35:55 »

Think of it as a PCB for any custom layout you can get a plate made for.  You would need one pcb for each switch.

Ok. I saw this before.

I didn't understand it at first.

I think I get it now. I might need to see some examples on pluses and minuses to using this versus a premade pcb though.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:38:20 »

For one this would be cheaper than a single pcb for the entire layout as with this design you are not paying for PCB space between switches, it very flexible in terms of layout and are cheap enough that a person could order half a dozen extras or so and have spares in the event of a lifted pad or such.  Plus, they can be soldered to the switch before installing in the plate.
Ok. I saw this before.

I didn't understand it at first.

I think I get it now. I might need to see some examples on pluses and minuses to using this versus a premade pcb though.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:48:14 »
Oh, Im following.

Does it need a motherboard device? Like a central location that these pcbs report to before it connects to USB.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:51:52 »
Oh, Im following.

Does it need a motherboard device? Like a central location that these pcbs report to before it connects to USB.

I'm interested in this as well. Presumably a teensy would be used as a controller. Do these need to be hand-wired together or is there some way to solder them?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:54:38 »
Oh, Im following.

I'm interested in this as well. Presumably a teensy would be used as a controller. Do these need to be hand-wired together or is there some way to solder them?

Yes on the Teensy and yes they would need to be hand wired.  22 gauge stranded wire fits very snug in the holes.  I have a few pics of this version soldered up into a 9 key matrix on page four of the IC thread.  I will make sure there is a link to that thread in the OP.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Just wondering, how would it work with Alps when they're not tapered like MX switches.  I'm trying to figure out how you would make a plate or something that would let you use them.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Just wondering, how would it work with Alps when they're not tapered like MX switches.  I'm trying to figure out how you would make a plate or something that would let you use them.

They work just the same as MX, just minus the center pin.  Alps switches have little wings on the sides of the switch that grab onto the back side of the plate.  The plate will have to be cut for MX or Alps.  Though you could mix the two on the same board, can't have the same hole for MX or Alps.  Though I would love to come up with something that would allow MX or Alps in the same plate hole.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Alright, I'm down for 100 :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 11:20:44 »

Sorry for missing your post CPT.  I will change it to 1.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I wrote up that form at 1 in the morning.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
So are these V1 or V2?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 11:28:36 »

Sorry for missing your post CPT.  I will change it to 1.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I wrote up that form at 1 in the morning.

No no it's fine. I was just asking. I think I'll order 3 anyways.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
I'll throw in an order for 200 :)
Are we at .25 EA yet?

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Melvang was ordering about 300. Bunnylake ordered 300 as well. So your order puts the buy clearly into $.25 range.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
So are these V1 or V2?

These are V2 with through holes for interconnects.

Melvang was ordering about 300. Bunnylake ordered 300 as well. So your order puts the buy clearly into $.25 range.

Without my order but including you potential order of 200 we would be into the $.25 price range.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
Looking forward to these, my kind of toy.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
In for 200 please.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
In for 200 please.
Same. Hopefully by the time mid-May rolls around we'll get the next pricebreak

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Defect

Without my order but including you potential order of 200 we would be into the $.25 price range.

Yeah too be honest I didn't even read the thread.  Got excited and spam posted.  Filling out the form when I get home.

I was planning to rely on a metal plate for these: place switch on plate and solder pcb underneath with wires instead of traces.  Would this work?

Anyone else doing a 60% with matias quiet switches?

Offline Razor Lotus

might order just a few to play around with.

I am a conscript. Do I get the military discount?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
I'm in for 300.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

Yeah too be honest I didn't even read the thread.  Got excited and spam posted.  Filling out the form when I get home.

I was planning to rely on a metal plate for these: place switch on plate and solder pcb underneath with wires instead of traces.  Would this work?

Anyone else doing a 60% with matias quiet switches?

These pcbs will still require a metal plate for the switches to mount to.  Each PCB is for a single switch to be interconnected to each other via hookup wire.  There are through holes for soldering hook up wire between switches.  Columns get wired to holes labeled "S" and rows get wired to holes labeled "D".  The through holes will fit 19 gauge solid or 22 ga stranded.

might order just a few to play around with.

I am a conscript. Do I get the military discount?

If you were a member of the military (regardless of circumstances upon entering) then yes.

Offline Defect

I'm good at the mechanical aspects of soldering, but fail hard at understanding electronics.  How does a controller fit with a batch of these?  Also need to look up USB connection.

If I'm spamming your thread please delete :P maybe others have my dumb questions though.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I'm good at the mechanical aspects of soldering, but fail hard at understanding electronics.  How does a controller fit with a batch of these?  Also need to look up USB connection.

If I'm spamming your thread please delete :P maybe others have my dumb questions though.

You are fine.  First you would solder the pcbs to the switches.  Either in the plate or out of the plate.  That doesn't matter as these will fit through the holes in the plate for both MX and Alps switches.  At this point you would solder up the interconnects between the switches.  At the top of each column you would run a wire from the last pcb to the teensy and from the left most pcb in each row to the teensy. 

Here is a pic of a quick and dirty solder job on the v1.0 pcbs.  This version had SMD style pads for the interconnect but shows the entire matrix.  The top middle switch is Alps rotated 90° as it would be in the F row on an AEK II keyboard. 
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55744.msg1288883#msg1288883

Here is a shot of the v2.0 with the plated through holes for interconnects.  Much easier soldering.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55744.msg1288883#msg1288883

At this point you would write your firmware and flash the teensy.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
You may have missed my order, as you added AKmalamute's order, which is a quote of mine.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
You may have missed my order, as you added AKmalamute's order, which is a quote of mine.

Just checked my Google docs response spreadsheet and I am not seeing your order.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Ordered 150.  I've been following this from the beginning, glad to see it make it this far.  :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Placed my order as well. Thanks, Melvang!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Placed my order as well. Thanks, Melvang!

You have email at the given address.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
I'm gonna order 200 or so. Have quite a few projects I want to work on. :p I probably won't order for a few days though. :(

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
in for 1000

Offline McWilloughby

Not that it is much of a concern as far as standard boards are concerned (i.e. if you dismantled a QFR) but would the use of this PCB mean you couldn't use a universal plate or is the fit of a switch in a plate (i.e. in a place where you could have either a Cherry or standard capslock) secure enough that it wouldn't move unless you wanted it to?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Is it possible to have a single-switch PCB made for keys that require PCB-mount stabilizers?  For example, it would be much easier and cheaper to laser-cut acrylic mounting plates, but it is not easy to mount stabilizers firmly on acrylic plates because acrylic plates would be thick. 

Offline McWilloughby

Is it possible to have a single-switch PCB made for keys that require PCB-mount stabilizers?  For example, it would be much easier and cheaper to laser-cut acrylic mounting plates, but it is not easy to mount stabilizers firmly on acrylic plates because acrylic plates would be thick.

In the case of the spacebar, would a fix be to change the plate design to take switches in the place of stabilisers and fit linear switches with very light springs in those places? No idea what you'd do for anything else though.

edit: Actually now that I've thought about it that seems like it'd be very wobbly.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I will order when I get to a putter.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN

In the case of the spacebar, would a fix be to change the plate design to take switches in the place of stabilisers and fit linear switches with very light springs in those places? No idea what you'd do for anything else though.

edit: Actually now that I've thought about it that seems like it'd be very wobbly.

No that won't work.

Offline osxoep

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but what sort of SMD components would be needed?
Just diodes?
HHKB Pro JP with hasu's controller (waiting for MX sliders)

Offline geniekid

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but what sort of SMD components would be needed?
Just diodes?

I believe that through-hole diodes are supported in addition to SMD diodes, so no SMD components are required.  Check out the picture here.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Not that it is much of a concern as far as standard boards are concerned (i.e. if you dismantled a QFR) but would the use of this PCB mean you couldn't use a universal plate or is the fit of a switch in a plate (i.e. in a place where you could have either a Cherry or standard capslock) secure enough that it wouldn't move unless you wanted it to?

My guess would be that you probably could use it but it would require something else to physically locate the switch left to right.  I think I would probably go with a small dab of hot glue under a corner or a very small dot of super glue under one or two corners between the switch and the plate.

I actually wouldn't recommend this.  Just because then all the the pcb, and the stabs, and the impact (if the stabilizer bottoms first) stresses will all be transferred to the pins of the switch.  I would have to recommend plate mount stabs for using these.

Just diodes?

I believe that through-hole diodes are supported in addition to SMD diodes, so no SMD components are required.  Check out the picture here.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct.  SMD or through hole diodes are supported.  The only time SMD would be "required" would be for an LED resistor.  And even then you could just solder the legs of the resistor to the leads to the LED.

Offline polarpigs

I know this is a moot point at this point in time, but if the total quantity being ordered is anything above 120 pieces, then you should just get 600 right off the bat
600*0.25 = 150
120 * 1.25 = 150

You break even the prices at 120 pieces, and anything between 120 and 600 pieces you're paying more than you could be.

Don't mind this post, it was just something that bugged me!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
I'll find a use for these eventually. May even just be soldering practice, who knows.

Might as well order a lot cause they're mad cheap.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I know this is a moot point at this point in time, but if the total quantity being ordered is anything above 120 pieces, then you should just get 600 right off the bat
600*0.25 = 150
120 * 1.25 = 150

You break even the prices at 120 pieces, and anything between 120 and 600 pieces you're paying more than you could be.

Don't mind this post, it was just something that bugged me!

Yeah we are already well over halfway to the 4k mark.