Author Topic: Just what does your screen name mean?  (Read 13170 times)

Offline bigpook

Just what does your screen name mean?
« on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 18:24:48 »
My screen name is bigpook. I was going to explain it but wellington was thinking of giving people a shot at trying to decipher it first.

Any takers?

As for my self I am trying to figure out a few of you guys screen names and what they could possibly mean.
iMav, tales, xsphat , lowpoly and wellington come to mind, but there are others.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 18:28:33 »
The easy ones may be xsphat, as in kind of big?
wellington for whatever reason makes me think of that English fellow that beat Napolean at Waterloo. For whatever reason the Wellington quote of "it was a near run thing" sticks in my mind.
lowpoly? no idea
iMav? no idea
bhtoofr? I know the spelling is wrong sorry, and have no idea.
billm? I am thinking it some person named bill.

There are others so don't feel left out.
I will post as I see them.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 18:36:03 »
You got it kind of wrong, pook. I actually own my screen name, BTW.

Years back, I was a hip hop DJ. I jsut played house parties and stuff, but then I was doing a Halloween party and they said I need a name to do the gig. I was trying to think of what to use in the waiting room for a Dr.s appointment, and I picked up a weight loss pamphlet. It said, "The first rule of any diet plan is to cut the excess fat." It popped into my head, xsphat, or XsPhat.I have used it ever since.

And yes, I have excess fat.

The screen name I'm wondering about is iLint-tin or whatever it is.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 18:38:16 »
I think Wellington uses that name because he likes the beef :eek:

I actually know what his name means, but I won't spoil it for anyone.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 19:13:00 »
It's just my real name. My first name is Vy-Shane.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 19:33:21 »
Good thread.  I've thought about starting something like this as well.  It was partially my motivation for wanting an Introductions forum here. :)

Anyway, my screen name here is my own abbreviation of my other screen name, FakeKisser.  So, take out the vowels and first K, and you have FKSSR.

FakeKisser is basically a Judas reference, but it has stayed with me for years due to the many ways that it can be used and the meanings people have attached to it.

Anyway, you guys can feel free to call me Fakey or FK, depending on how you're feeling. :D
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 19:38:53 »
xsphat - what do you mean you own your screen name? Like as in copyrighted, trademarked?
You were a hip hop dj? Good god man, how many lives have you lived? ;)

bigpook - the secret to deciphering bigpook is to understand what a pook is, and then imagining a big one.
Unfortunately I havent a clue what a pook is.
"define pook" on google gives: "David Pook (born 1955), English former professional footballer "  Hmmm, is bigpook a huge fan of english professional football? Somehow I dont think so.
Urban dictionary defines pook as: "to be under the influence of methamphetamine". Ah, now we're getting somewhere.  :D

itlnstln - as I said, clearly he's a communist.

iMav - its funny, I've seen atleast one other person use iMav on a forum (and i'm pretty sure it wasnt the same iMav).  Clearly the trick here is to know what a "mav" is, and imagine an internet version of it.  So lets see, google define says: "Hungarian State Railways (Magyar Államvasutak or MÁV) is the railway company of Hungary". Well, I should have guessed!

bhtoofr - as mysterious as the man himself.

lowpoly - I cheated and read the post where he said it has something to do with low polygon counts in animation or something, lol.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 19:38:58 »
Quote from: bigpook;26706
My screen name is bigpook. I was going to explain it but wellington was thinking of giving people a shot at trying to decipher it first.

Any takers?

Big Pookee? As in the the pet name? :)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 20:07:57 »
while words do have meaning, some are just made up as we go along. (check out Neil Stephensons Anathem for a chock full of words pulled out of his ass)

pook is in reference to pooky. it was our nickname for coffee creamer. Back in the day I had a thing for hazelnut coffee creamer. Somewhat banal, yes?

I should have kept quiet as I was kind of liking where wellington was going with it. But alas the methamphetamine reference in the urban dictionary brought me to the fore. But it was pretty good up to the English Professional Footballer, which I think is rugby? right?
Thats a mans game I reckon, but not one I would want to play. From what I understand they don't wear protective gear. Thats too hardcore for me : )

FKSSR's ref. to Big Pookee as a pet name is new to me, I need to look that up.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 20:15:22 »
Quote from: bigpook;26719
while words do have meaning, some are just made up as we go along. (check out Neil Stephensons Anathem for a chock full of words pulled out of his ass)

pook is in reference to pooky. it was our nickname for coffee creamer. Back in the day I had a thing for hazelnut coffee creamer. Somewhat banal, yes?

I should have kept quiet as I was kind of liking where wellington was going with it. But alas the methamphetamine reference in the urban dictionary brought me to the fore. But it was pretty good up to the English Professional Footballer, which I think is rugby? right?
Thats a mans game I reckon, but not one I would want to play. From what I understand they don't wear protective gear. Thats too hardcore for me : )

coffee creamer!  you can get high off that?  ;D

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 20:32:23 »
Quote from: wellington1869;26721
coffee creamer!  you can get high off that?  ;D

! Man , I hope not. But for fun, the powdered coffee creamer will ignite if you put a match to it. Silly parlor tricks.

Offline wheel83

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 20:46:00 »
my real name is will

some kid i know calls me wheels

and i was born in 1983

I <3 BS

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 20:53:03 »
My real name is Ishmel Hobbib Habut Habarh, but most folks call me Ralph.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 21:14:52 »
Official explanation: It's a bunch of random letters that are rarely registered anywhere else, so I know it's me when I look myself up.

Actual explanation: EFR is my initials, bhtoo is the abbreviated name of a goat herd that my parents made me own when I was ~9, when I came up with the screen name. I haven't been bothered to come up with anything better, and the official explanation is actually a rather good reason for keeping it. :p

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 23:50:30 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;26728
Official explanation: It's a bunch of random letters that are rarely registered anywhere else, so I know it's me when I look myself up.

Actual explanation: EFR is my initials, bhtoo is the abbreviated name of a goat herd that my parents made me own when I was ~9, when I came up with the screen name. I haven't been bothered to come up with anything better, and the official explanation is actually a rather good reason for keeping it. :p

which means you're also very easy to search for :p

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&sa=1&q=bhtooefr&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 23:53:20 »
Also a little explanation of my screen name...
Back when I was in elementary eons ago the login system required 8 characters so that's what it was.  My full name is Zachery Wayne Maloney, if that helps it make more sense...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 00:10:15 »
Funny.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 00:11:08 »
Quote from: bigpook;26722
! Man , I hope not. But for fun, the powdered coffee creamer will ignite if you put a match to it. Silly parlor tricks.

damn, that cant be good.  I use coffee creamer every day.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 00:11:53 »
Quote from: wheels83;26724
my real name is will

some kid i know calls me wheels

and i was born in 1983

I'm assuming you ride a bicycle?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 00:25:56 »
I wrestled a lot with screen names. When I first started getting a web history on forums and etc I thought I should have a single name to "brand myself" (I mean like a brand name, lol). Kind of like xsphat has a whole line of clothing in his name, lol. I thought I had a good one, and then I got into various arguments with various people (what can I say, I wasnt always the charming friendly wellington you see before you today), and it occurred to me that a single brand would maybe not contain all the different hats I wear in my life. (I also wanted the freedom to fight with people without it affecting my main brand, lol). (For instance as part of research for a paper once I hung out on evangelical websites and conservative sites, and the problem is, there was no way my liberal friends were going to understand that behaviour (nor did I have the energy to explain it to them) and it was just easier to start dividing up my online personalities.  Well since then I've tore thru several online personalities and felt free-er for having done so.

But what that means is I often have to come up with screen names 'on the fly'.  You know you try to be creative at first, and then you get really lazy. My login at my local coffee shop's wifi access is 'tacobell' because, well, I happened to eat there the night before and was feeling it, lol.  So now I just look around the room and come up with really creative things like 'coffeemug2009'. ;)

Wellington1869 was one such 'throwaway' name (I honestly didnt expect to still be on geekhack after 6 months, lol). 'Wellington' simply because I had just read a biography of him and thought he was a neat historical figure (he was, as I say, a citizen of the world in an era that was every bit as globalized as ours is; he turns up all over the map, from the americas to the east indies, and of course became famous when he fought napolean. There are a whole bunch of similarly fascinating figures in his generation who similarly wandered around the world like it was nothing while doing amazing historical things like they were nothing). What can I say i'm a bit of a history buff, I read stuff like that. '1869' simply cuz I usually add some number to these login names cuz I *hate* when the login form rejects your submit button click by saying "oh you need a number cuz its more secure' that really annoys me so now I add a number before it even asks so I dont ahve to see the annoying prompt. So I picked 1869 more or less randomly though it happens to be the year Gandhi was born in (and I happen to be writing my dissertation on Gandhi); though quite honestly I could have just as well picked 2009 or something.

So, pretty random, but I wound up sticking around here and the name wound up sticking with me (I'm 'welly' over at wordhack ;) )

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 00:33:42 »

bhtoo is the abbreviated name of a goat herd that my parents made me own

you owned a goatherd? Isnt that like slavery? ;D

Offline lexicon

• http://www.word-detective.com
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 00:53:45 »
I write about language, thus Lexicon.  Boring.  Sorry.
IBM Model M 1391401 (1989)
IBM Model M 52G9658 (1993) x2
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black)
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (way too many)
Dell AT101W (black)
Silicon Graphics AT-101 (1993)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 00:59:54 »
Quote from: lexicon;26744
I write about language, thus Lexicon.  Boring.  Sorry.

Are you a linguist or do you write textbooks or what?

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 01:02:51 »
read about it here

why retell it lol

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 02:06:45 »
Back in the early 90's I ran a dialup BBS (as well as participated on many others) and my handle was "maverick".  Named after my second car...a 1974 Ford Maverick.  Anyways, you can't really get away maverick on the internet, so for a while I used "mavherzog" (Herzog is my last name).  One day (influenced in part by my affinity for Apple products) I started using iMav.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 02:12:58 »
oh no, i'm > 2000 posts!

(its easy when you can hold forth on your favorite brand of instant coffee).

No chance of catching XS though, he's the champ.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 02:13:53 »
Quote from: iMav;26751
Back in the early 90's I ran a dialup BBS (as well as participated on many others) and my handle was "maverick".  Named after my second car...a 1974 Ford Maverick.  Anyways, you can't really get away maverick on the internet, so for a while I used "mavherzog" (Herzog is my last name).  One day (influenced in part by my affinity for Apple products) I started using iMav.

Ah, I knew it had something to do with transportation ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 02:14:53 »
Quote from: xsphat;26745

he's got a blog, its a good blog. Used to be in his sig. Words and stuff.

Offline wheel83

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 03:15:32 »
i dont ride a bicycle and i dont know why he calls me wheels haha.  he is polish, maybe that's involved somehow lol

anyways my poker pseudonym is wheel  .  that sort of stands for an ace to five straight, which is called the wheel.
I <3 BS

Offline lam47

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 04:35:08 »
Mine came about when I was about 14 or 15.
I was playing metal slug at the local arcade and after putting in all my pocket money was very pleased to see the score board come up and I could put my name in (Laurie)
I was a bit slow as I had not done it before and started to write my whole name, what can I say I was excited. The timer ran out and I was on the letter M and it just stuck.
To this day its my gaming tag whenever I see a score board.
47 is just my favourite number.

It will sound stupid but I was in college and wearing a top with about 10 tiny buttons on the neck. My friends said 'how many buttons are on your shirt' I said 47 like it was gospel and for some reason people cracked up. Ever since it has been the default amount of anything in any given situation.

This is a good thread.
I have not thought about how my screen name came about for years.

Nice one.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 06:37:55 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;26746
read about it here

why retell it lol

haha.  retro.

Quote from: iMav;26751

I was going to guess exactly that (apple + maverick).  Nice.

Quote from: bigpook;26719

Well, the pet name part is just Pookee (or Pooky, depending on how you spell it).  I've never been called that, but it's pretty common in movies where people are making fun of stupid pet names that girls call guys or dogs...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 06:50:02 »
OK, Welly, I'll let you in on mine, but there is a little (or a lot) back story on mine first.  When I was a kid, my family was pretty poor, so we didn't watch much TV, but we listened to the radio, records, tapes (no 8-tracks), etc., so I became a big music junkie.  My parents listened to a lot of R&B (old school stuff like Donny Hathaway and EWF), jazz, and otherwise "black" music.  My mom grew up in Alabama during the Civil Rights era, and her family was very progressive, and they lived with African-Americans in a time when that wasn't excepted in "white" culture.  When I was very little, I had an African American baby sitter(s) where my affection for "black" music (and culture, to a certain extent) grew.  As I got older in the mid-80s, Hip-Hop was starting to get popular.  Back then, sampling was very popular (Hell, that's essentially how Hip-Hop started), and I heard all the music that I listened to whn I was younger incorporated into this Hip-Hop music, and my love for Hip-Hop was born.

Fast forward to the early 90s, and I was the only white kid in school that had a real appreciation for the music and culture and didn't listen to rap because Snoop was "gangsta" (I am partial to East Coast Hip-Hop, anyway, since that's where it started).  I used to hang out with the other Hip-Hop junkies (Nice 'n' Smooth reference, if you didn't catch it), and we started rapping.  Part of being a rapper (MC), at least back then, was battling other MCs.  Since I am Italian (Sicilian, to be exact), the other cats I hung around with called me the "Italian Stallion" after Rocky Balboa, the boxer in the movie Rocky.  When I went to college in '96, I had to pick a name for my univeristy e-mail account.  They asked us for our requested name without any time to think about it, and the first thing I thought of was "Italian Stallion," but since I didn't want to type all that, I shortened it to "ItlnStln."  Since I am lazy, and I don't like to remember a plethora of user names, I just go by ItlnStln everywhere.

I was a Hip-Hop DJ for the college radio station as well, but I didn't go by ItlnStln as my handle anymore; I just went by Don-O as a tribute to old-school Hip-Hop monikers.  When I battled in college, I went by AKADemiqs (and that was well before the clothing company AKAdemics was started).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 07:32:22 »
itlnstln - as I said, clearly he's a communist.

A socialist (in the sense that Canada, the UK, etc. are socialist), maybe, but not a communist. :)

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 08:44:40 »
Quote from: webwit;26788
This was not that story.

Guessed that as soon as I saw how long the paragraphs were.  I skimmed the stories anyway.  Not bad, but there wasn't a real punchline, I thought. :)

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 09:13:27 »
Quote from: itlnstln;26778
A socialist (in the sense that Canada, the UK, etc. are socialist), maybe, but not a communist. :)

I just got the comment about itlnstln being a communist.  Since I have always assumed it meant Italian Stallion, I didn't even think of Italian Stalin. :P

P.S.  I'm a democratic-socialist, as well, if that's what you're referring to.  Unite! ;)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 09:52:48 »
Quote from: FKSSR;26795
I just got the comment about itlnstln being a communist.  Since I have always assumed it meant Italian Stallion, I didn't even think of Italian Stalin. :P

P.S.  I'm a democratic-socialist, as well, if that's what you're referring to.  Unite! ;)

In another thread (the one that spawned this one), Wellington had said that ItlnStln = International Stalinist.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 10:23:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;26804
In another thread (the one that spawned this one), Wellington had said that ItlnStln = International Stalinist.

Ah, gotcha.  I never read that thread.  Awesome! :)

Offline lexicon

• http://www.word-detective.com
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 10:53:46 »
Quote from: xsphat;26745

Etymologist.  See here.
IBM Model M 1391401 (1989)
IBM Model M 52G9658 (1993) x2
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black)
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (way too many)
Dell AT101W (black)
Silicon Graphics AT-101 (1993)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline cchan

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 11:17:59 »
I'll spare you the derivation of my username since it is a long convoluted story involving several of my former fandoms. But I will tell you that this is the username I use when attempting to dissociate my IRL and online identities. Had I known that I would stick around, and buy and sell keyboards with some fellow members, I would have registered under the name of cchan. That is my first initial and last name irl.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline cmr

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 12:02:09 »
it is my initials

Offline lal

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 12:13:58 »
I am Data's daughter I'm afraid...
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 12:15:23 »
Quote from: Tales;26829
Had I known that I would stick around, and buy and sell keyboards with some fellow members, I would have registered under the name of cchan. That is my first initial and last name irl.

I don't have a problem with people requesting a username change if they feel strongly about it.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 12:20:06 »
Quote from: lal;26847

Data rocks!  He was probably my fav Trek character when I was a kid (to teenager).  I don't really think of such things much anymore, but he's still def top 3, at least.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 13:15:26 »
Quote from: lal;26847

I bet that one hurt to admit. I hope your enemy registers as Lor.

Offline lal

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 13:35:38 »
Quote from: xsphat;26868
I bet that one hurt to admit.

Not so much as I didn't choose it myself.  It was given to me in high school the day after that episode aired on tv... D'oh!
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline cchan

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 15:51:28 »
Quote from: iMav;26848
I don't have a problem with people requesting a username change if they feel strongly about it.
In that case, I'd like to request a name change to cchan, please.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 15:56:55 »
but Tales reminds me of Sonic!  Tales was so awesome!  He had two tales!  And could fly! :D

Offline cb951303

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 15:57:25 »
my nickname may sound like rubbish and to tell you the truth it is *but* it was given to me by my first dial-up ISP back in 90s so it's actually the first username I ever used and I sticked with it :)
Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB
Kensington Orbit K72337US

Offline cmr

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 16:54:03 »
Quote from: Tales;26920
In that case, I'd like to request a name change to cchan, please.

come on now, he said if you felt strongly. sell it a bit more. request it like you mean it!

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 17:02:58 »
I worked as a 3d artist for several years. Low polygon modeling is building 3D objects with just a few triangles or polygons. I also have the domain lowpoly.com which has been a showcase site while I was active in 3d forums. I used that for my screen name as well. When I registered here I didn't expect to hang around and chose a random name, sofa king. Well, some day I googled that and realized it wasn't as subtle as I thought. As iMav said, he will change names on request.

itlnstln: I actually figured that one out. :)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today