Author Topic: [IC] GMK Botanical | FINAL KITS/PROXIES/DATES ANNOUNCED!  (Read 158266 times)

Offline Minterly

Re: [IC] GMK Botanical
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:15:59 »
maybe a somewhat hot take: ditch the japanese

there doesn't seem to be any link between this set and anything japanese themed so that novelty looks quite forced (and that's leaving out the fact that the japanese is wrong altogether).

I also think that the japanese characters, while a pleasant aesthetic, do not fit into the plant theme in any way and would much rather prefer some more plants (row of succulents, a longer branch)

That being said thank you for finally making a pretty green set!! As a NON GMK lover, my interest is definitely piqued! I would also appreciate if you'd consider a dark green alphas kit because I think that would look dope and also would not have to do a matcha set because I still stand by the fact that white alphas are gross heh. Also I realize they're not exactly white which is why they're not as terrible, just wanted to clarify.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:28:52 »
WOW I am in.  Great colour scheme.  Please add the UK ISO keys to the base set early on to avoid lots of unnecessary posts.  Love the name as well by the way.  Great job.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline jooobe

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:32:57 »
Oh shoot, this is nice

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Choozey

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:37:14 »
I’m in love with the colors. I’m not that much into green, but this definitely has my attention.

On a side note, as others have said already, I don’t think the Japanese keys fit the set really well. I would replace them with a more “botanical” key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hazzy

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:46:53 »
Really loving the deskmat though.
But I've noticed that the spacebars in the accent kit have a different color in the IC form as compared to the Geekhack page. Which ones are correct?

The GeekhackPage has all the updated and correct kits.

Offline XXXXXXXX

Re: [IC] GMK Botanical | NOTES ADDED
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 14:31:48 »
this set is awesome, definitely a must buy. I do agree with the rethinking of the japanese keys though.

Offline break

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 16:21:03 »
+1 to removing the Japanese accent.

The muted green looks amazing, this set pairs really well with some of Rama's cases.

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 16:48:58 »
... better off without japanese

I also think that the japanese characters ... do not fit into the plant theme in any way and would much rather prefer some more plants (row of succulents, a longer branch)

Also agree that the enter key novelty is off and would suggest some sort of leaf design instead of japanese legends please.

+1 to removing the Japanese accent.

... instead of the weeb Enter novelty I think an actual plant icon would suit this set much better.

... I do agree with the rethinking of the japanese keys though.

... I don’t think the Japanese keys fit the set really well.

there doesn't seem to be any link between this set and anything japanese themed so that novelty looks quite forced (and that's leaving out the fact that the japanese is wrong altogether).

... Japanese enter novelty seems a little pointless. I know people are really into the weeb legends, but seems a tad bit much.

Otherwise ~ a nice washed out greenish set  :thumb:

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 16:50:44 »
Above.

And I’d like RAL colors and a render that reflects that. I’m “worried” the set will turn out too grey and not green enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chakkii

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 18:29:52 »
love this set! any chance of NORDE / International kit? if yes I'm 100% in

Offline MMKB

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 19:08:40 »
Love it, can't wait. Any chance of doing what some sets such as 9009 have been doing and offering a smaller base kit?

Show Image

Same question as above. The set looks really subtle, like a green version of 9009.

Offline Sky Corrigan

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 19:24:22 »
Now that is a clean, subtle green colorway. I love it.

Offline obrien_t4

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 21:15:24 »
I see a lot of hate for the Japanese enter key but I kinda like it tbh

Offline Xerra

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 22:12:00 »
First look on the set made me imagine fresh air from the greens and felt the calmness of the jungle. Love it! I just need to think of a board color to go with this and I'd be in. Great work! :thumb:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 22:30:01 »
I see a lot of hate for the Japanese enter key but I kinda like it tbh

I'm with you -- kinda.

I like the aesthetic; it looks clean and interesting. I just don't think it really jives with the rest of the set. Feels a little out of place with the surrounding, cohesive theme.

Maybe if Op goes the route of having a sub-legend set, it would belong there? Hard to imagine that happening though with the response it got.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline trg1234

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 01:03:09 »
If we could get other renders of the keyset on alu boards that would be nice. I am having trouble visualizing the colors of the set on both the pc render as well as the set render due to background colors and case colors.

Offline calveeen

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 01:04:34 »
The deskmat is amazing tho.

What about the possibility of introducing a 'wood' colour for accents e.g. the enter, esc?
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2019, 07:38:00 by calveeen »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 07:56:01 »
Oh wow, I love this colorway! Great work!

Offline Morbus

• a real dude
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 08:03:38 »
Neat set!
you should add nordes and call the kit Gran or Björk ;))
dm me ur top 42 topster charts
consider adding norde support to ur sets
   dont be dumb as hell

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 08:09:08 »
Didn't read all the comments yet but... Is this what Necro should've been? :D

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 08:56:45 »
First off, a strictly subjective opinion: looking at the renders, I can't shake the feeling that I'm looking at pictures "through a filter" and thus those "can't be the real colors". This is reinforced by the proposed deskmat, whose colors seem to be a bit more vibrant. It might be a good idea (or it might not) to add ONE render of the set, but with a side column of a few keycaps from other sets, with well known colors, so one can, so to speak, lock one's eyes to "actual colors" and avoid this "through the filter" illusion.
Never mind this paragraph. I wrote it this morning after watching the renders on my office computer, whose color reproduction capabilities turned out to be ****tier that I expected. I just looked at the renders again, in my home computer, and the difference is staggering.

The color codes are Pantone... but it's well known at this point that that GMK prefers RAL color codes instead. Given that precise coloring will be key to the success or failure of this set, you should seriously consider going RAL.

I agree that the Japanese legend on the Enter key feels gratuitous and something else would be better. A longer bamboo branch, perhaps? Also, the plant in a pot is slightly strange, given the rest of the imagery speaks of a relatively untamed jungle.

ISO support needs mentioning, too, but I'll do that in a separate post.

Offline sozo

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 09:36:37 »
Wow this is amazing. This is the green set I didn’t know I needed. I’m in

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 10:19:20 »
And now, for the point I'm infamous for: ISO support.  ;D

There are two distinct layers to this:

1) Physical layout: this level requires the physical presence of four keys: a short left Shift (present), a vertical Enter (present, in both mod and accent color), one R3 alpha (present), and one R4 alpha (present); in this level, the alphas may have any legend, or even be blanks — all that's needed is that they ARE present. As can be seen, physical layout support for ISO is correct.

2) National layout: this is where the cat fight starts. :-D

The base kit is based on the US English national layout (as most sets do), and adds exactly TWO keys that are specific to the UK English national layout (R3 #~ and R4 \|), missing the rest of the UK English-specific alpha keys: R3 '@, R1 , R1 2" and R1 (this besides the three AltGr mod keys that would be required as well, in the sizes of 1.5U, 1.25U and 1U). With this, the UK English national layout isn't fully supported, giving rise to what's called "Atlantis ISO" (as in "it's on neither side of the pond but somewhere in the middle").

Options to fix this?

1) Do nothing. Some European users have come to accept this partial support, and prefer this course of action to avoid any problems that might make a designer drop ISO support, even at the physical layout level.

2) Support the US English national layout over ISO or ANSISO. This would require replacing the R3 #~ with an R3 \|; meanwhile, the R4 \| can remain as-is or can be replaced by an R4 <> key (both options are valid, and both have advantages and disadvantages). The total amount of keys does not change.

3) Complete the support for the UK English national layout over ISO, by adding the missing keys (R3 '@, R1 , R1 2" and R1 , plus the AltGr keys).

4) Complete the support for both the UK English national layout AND the US English national layout over ISO or ANSISO. If going with the first variant of the "US ISO" layout (a misnomer), this would mean adding the same keys as in point 3) plus exactly one more (R3 \|).

Obviously, everyone will have his or her own preferences on this (I know I have mine... :D ), and the decision will ultimately be Hazzy's to take.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 11:03:07 »
I love this.
Gonna buy for sure.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 19:38:07 »
So after eating my hat about the "filtered-through" colors, I took a new good look at the proposed kits. And I wondered... wouldn't this set benefit from more green? How about using both green tones for all the mods, and leave the white for the alphas only, like Carbon did?

I made a quick mock-up with KLE to show what I mean. This is what the kits are like now (with APPROXIMATE colors):

226102-0

And this is how it could look like if the currently-white F keys were turned to green, with a couple mods recolored as well:

226104-1

Thoughts?

Offline VXQN

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 04:49:50 »

I agree. IMHO far too many sets jump on the japanese bandwagon. Something more relevant to the plant theme would be great. I'm just spitballing but maybe a plain text enter key novelty would be fun? Something like "grow", "germinate", "bloom", etc. etc.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 07:20:30 »
I need this. It reminds me of my blue glow agaves I have in front of my house. It’ll probably cost the same as one of them too.

Offline leexy

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 10:00:09 »
ne botanica rama cap

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 14:25:41 »

I agree with this... I love the colorway, I love everything about this kit, just not the Japanese enter key. Sorry...

Offline Hyperdimension

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 14:34:33 »
Why did you write プラーント?It's プラント

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 15:22:13 »
With like 90% of the comments hating on the misspelled japanese. And not just the misspell but just that japanese is on this set at all. I’m surprised it’s still there.

Offline Hazzy

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 20:40:47 »
ne text icon mods avail
Unfortunately not :(

Offline voxkey

Re: [IC] GMK Botanical | NEW RENDERS ADDED.
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 08:28:24 »
This looks amazing, fresh, and new! Definitely count me in for this!

Offline phlux

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 08:30:22 »
How about a nice green IRON165 to complement this set?

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 08:33:11 »
How about a nice green IRON165 to complement this set?
I would so be in for that

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 09:45:34 »
I'd love to see a Kobe set (Hiragana Legends), (you could name it Bonsai).

Otherwise, somehow i like this set; thinking about joining once it passed IC

Offline Bayhan

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 09:54:23 »
Hey I've just got into this hobby (still don't have my own keyboard) but I've been going over a lot of keycap sets and one problem I saw with one (I believe it was GMK Violet Tendencies?) was that they had grey on dark purple for the mod keys and while the render looked ok, in reality it was barely legible, do you think there is enough contrast in this case? Still, nice concept, I really liked it but I would also agree with everyone else who pointed out the japanese on the enter key.

Offline Hazzy

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 11:12:23 »
Love this. Don’t get the enter key novelty though?
some context for the novelty - Feng shui "Feng shui, also known as Chinese geomancy, is pseudoscience originating from ancient China, which claims to use energy forces to harmonize individuals with their surrounding environment" in the design world Feng Shui is always an important consideration when working on interior design. YES Feng Shui has Chinese origin but the japanese has more aesthetic to it :D Hope this clears up some confusion on the Enter novelty! although it seems everyone would much rather prefer something else so it will be revised.

-Hazzy

Re: [IC] GMK Botanical |NOTES & NEW RENDERS ADDED.
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 12:18:00 »
Definitely loving the colourway, but a bit concerned with the alphas' kinda green-ish white colour. Not sure if GMK can put out a great work of making plastics of this colour.

Offline doubleu

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 16:58:36 »
Count me in!

Offline Hazzy

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 19:04:18 »
ne botanica rama cap

keep your eyes peeled!

Offline jooobe

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 19:16:17 »
What is 'ne'?

Offline gt1989

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 19:16:52 »
What is 'ne'?

Any

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline jooobe

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 19:17:23 »
Oh why not just type any

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 20:36:27 »
Cause memes

Offline SingSong

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 02:17:07 »
Love this. Don’t get the enter key novelty though?
some context for the novelty - Feng shui "Feng shui, also known as Chinese geomancy, is pseudoscience originating from ancient China, which claims to use energy forces to harmonize individuals with their surrounding environment" in the design world Feng Shui is always an important consideration when working on interior design. YES Feng Shui has Chinese origin but the japanese has more aesthetic to it :D Hope this clears up some confusion on the Enter novelty! although it seems everyone would much rather prefer something else so it will be revised.

-Hazzy

If it's based on a Chinese concept wouldn't something in Chinese be better than Japanese katakana?

Didn't read all the comments yet but... Is this what Necro should've been? :D

I'll be honest, I bought into the Necro GB and still wish it had been what it was supposed to be. This is the first GMK IC that I've really been interested in....so yeah, probably. XD

Above.

And I’d like RAL colors and a render that reflects that. I’m “worried” the set will turn out too grey and not green enough.

This.

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 04:51:20 »
Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I'm still not sold on jap enter novelty.

Offline gMit

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 05:02:24 »
At this point if the colours are looking like a good match i'm in for all three. (plus whatever Rama cap is)

Congrats on a nice colourway and really like the novelties you have. Feeds my indoor plant obsession nicely.

Offline Hazzy

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 11:33:05 »
If we could get other renders of the keyset on alu boards that would be nice. I am having trouble visualizing the colors of the set on both the pc render as well as the set render due to background colors and case colors.

renders on the Black 45-ATS have been added!