Author Topic: NIB Cherry G81-8000LPDUS-2 (Cherry MY), $3.25 (that's right!) + shipping  (Read 4927 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Here's the third exceptional NIB Cherry deal I've come across this evening—the Cherries are popping!  :?)

Cherry MY8000 PS/2 Programmable Keyboard w/ Built-In Card Reader G81-8000LPDUS-2

NIB, $3.25 (you read that right) + $20 U.S. shipping (or maybe less, to your area).

Cherry MY switches are controversial—you either love 'em or hate 'em. If you've wanted to try them, here's an excellent chance to grab some cheap.

PLEASE NOTE that this is only for people who may be interested in these boards. This topic is NOT an invitation for you to trash Cherry MYs. The MY's merits/demerits are already debated in numerous places here on GH, so please don't waste our time and attention by doing so again here. Thanks!

If you're unfamiliar with Cherry MY switches, just search GH for Cherry MY.

'Nuff said!
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:31:06 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90939.0

you posted in the wrong thread

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
You seem to have overlooked the BOLD ORANGE TYPE in my OP. Next time I'll include some flashing lights and air horns, to be sure I get your attention.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Also, $3.25 + shipping? Did I mention that? At that price, it seemed worthwhile to let people know who might be interested.

At no point did I endorse the switches. I've never even tried them. I just wanted peeps to have the info. So, like:

BTW, I have lots more rants where this came from, so let me know if you want to read them.  :?P

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
To be honest, those laser engraved and infilled caps are not that bad. Anyone who wants a cheap keyset for any reason should consider that. The only problem would be the incompatible bottom row.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90939.0

you posted in the wrong thread

Thanks, I almost spit coffee on my precious

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
So, who wants gum?

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Thanks for the heads up Ander! :thumb: I just grabbed one of these, it came out to $11.75 total choosing USPS priority as shipping for me. :) Never gave MY switches a try yet, I probably won't like them from what I've read, but I don'y have a Cherry MY board in my collection yet. So for $11.75 I figured why not, I mean it is NIB & has a card reader so I can drain my wallet buying MKB related stuff even faster! :)) Seriously though, not a bad deal to add a board to the collection. :cool:
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:02:17 by Rob27shred »

Online Rob27shred

Got mine in today! :) (or yesterday I should say, LOL! Was feeling ****y yesterday so I slept pretty much all day)
192374-0
Hell of a deal for $11.75, MY switches don't feel terrible, not that great feeling either. Kinda like gummy feeling MX blacks IMO. Probably not a board that'll get much use from me, but I am glad to have a MY board in my collection. Although the real win with this purchase is the key caps.
192376-1
192378-2
They are really nice thick caps with laser engraved & infilled legends, I would've paid $12 for the caps alone TBH. Definitely planning on using these on a build in the future as they feel great. Anyone know if they are ABS or POM?
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2018, 04:00:41 by Rob27shred »

Offline 00

Got mine in today! :) (or yesterday I should say, LOL! Was feeling ****y yesterday so I slept pretty much all day)
(Attachment Link)
Hell of a deal for $11.75, MY switches don't feel terrible, not that great feeling either. Kinda like gummy feeling MX blacks IMO. Probably not a board that'll get much use from me, but I am glad to have a MY board in my collection. Although the real win with this purchase is the key caps.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
They are really nice thick caps with laser engraved & infilled legends, I would've paid $12 for the caps alone TBH. Definitely planning on using these on a build in the future as they feel great. Anyone know if they are ABS or POM?
Those are POM. This is definitely a nice way to try the material on the cheap.
It's like, dude, you gotta re-evaluate
Your perspective and your priorities, because
You started doing this because it was ****ing fun, you know?
It has to be fun
Otherwise, you're just torturing yourself, you know?
You're... you're just stuck inside your own ****ing head

Online Rob27shred

Re: NIB Cherry G81-8000LPDUS-2 (Cherry MY), $3.25 (that's right!) + shipping
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 04:13:53 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Those are POM. This is definitely a nice way to try the material on the cheap.

Thanks for the reply, I thought they were from the salt water test (they sink to the bottom straight away) but wasn't 100% sure. Yeah for the price, I'm pretty happy with it to have a board to add to the collection & some decent caps.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 21:42:04 »
On the Cherry G8x-Lxxxx boards, black are lasered POM. White are lasered PBT.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 07:40:39 »
And these are still available folks!  I was tempted, but already have enough toys at the moment...

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 03:46:34 »
LOL, I'm glad it wasn't a total wash-out to bring these to your attention.

I was mostly thinking how I've always preferred to try switches myself rather than taking people's word for them. (Indeed, I've actually ended up liking some switches—e.g. Futabas, Mitsumi Miniatures—that most peeps have panned.) And it didn't seem like a better opportunity to try these would come along anytime soon.